bobheckler
NYCelt
Matty
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lakers Tie Celtics with #17 Empty Lakers Tie Celtics with #17

Post by dboss Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:36 am

The LAL won their 17th championship Title and in so doing , tied our Boston Celtics with 17 titles.
There will be no asterisk attached to this accomplishment.

The NBA including all the players coaches, support staff, etc, pulled off what will become the greatest season in the history of the sport. This season lasted 12 months. It was really incredible on so many levels.

There were several rare situations that were in play. 3 former Celtics played in this series and if not for the Avery Bradley opt out, there would have been 4. Rajon Rondo my favorite PG along with Cousy became only the 2nd player in history to win a Championship with both the Celtics and Lakers. Two players on the Lakers won a title for 3 different teams (James and Green)

Lebron James earned every bit of his 4th MVP award and in so doing established a precedent that will be a standard of measurement for the future. At age 35 James is the oldest player who has played at an MVP level. His durability sets him apart from everyone else. James is the all time playoff scoring leader in history and has played in more playoff games than anyone.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Lakers Tie Celtics with #17 Empty Re: Lakers Tie Celtics with #17

Post by Matty Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:47 am

Did the Lakers retire Mikans Jersey yet?

No?

Then I think they are now at 12 titles or so..

Just my opinion.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:54 am

Why haven't they done that yet, Matty?  I was about to acknowledge the 17 until you threw that wrench into the works!  That would seem like a no brainer and should have been done long ago. TJ will/should jump in here in a minute.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:58 am

dbrown4 wrote:Why haven't they done that yet, Matty?  I was about to acknowledge the 17 until you threw that wrench into the works?!  That would seem like a no brainer and should have been done long ago.  

db

They don't bleed green.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:04 am

I'm sure you liked Magic's tweet about finally tying the record against our hated rival Boston Celtics. Hope Danny and Co take that to heart.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:07 am

This is an old and tired discussion.
The Lakers had 7 players who played for the Lakers in Minneapolis in the 1959-60 season and then in Los Angeles in the 1960-61.
Do you think Elgin Baylor feels he played for one organization in his 14 year career or two organizations because the Lakers moved after his second season?

Should the Raiders not count their history because they now play in Las Vegas?

The records are that the Celtics and the Lakers have 17 championships.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:16 am

This Laker victory will not diminished the rivalry.  Celtics fans like myself will NEVER capitulate.  

Our team has work to do.  It is just a matter of time before The Celtics are the last team standing.  I am reminded that the Celtics were just 2 games removed from playing in the championship series.  I fully expect this team to take a step forward and not back.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:31 am

tj,

I'm cool with all that.  I was just curious why LAL hasn't retired Mikan's number since with that logic he makes up 5 of the 17 titles, right?  It's not a whole lot to ask the organization.  

db

Last edited by dbrown4 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:31 am

tjmakz wrote:This is an old and tired discussion.
The Lakers had 7 players who played for the Lakers in Minneapolis in the 1959-60 season and then in Los Angeles in the 1960-61.
Do you think Elgin Baylor feels he played for one organization in his 14 year career or two organizations because the Lakers moved after his second season?

TJ

I agree with you without any reservation. With all due respect to my esteemed board members, the Celtics goal today is to win #18. The Lakers goal is the same.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:34 am

dbrown4 wrote:tj,

I'm cool with all that.  I was just curious why LAL hasn't retired Mikan's number since with that logic he makes up 5 of the 17 titles, right?  It's not a whole lot to ask the organization.  

db

It seems like a reasonable question.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:39 am

Yeah, please everyone, don't get me wrong. Not opening up Pandora's Box on the Minneapolis Lakers vs. the Los Angeles Lakers. That discussion goes nowhere. Was just curious about the snub to Mikan, that's all. It currently (and over the years evidently) appears to fall under the having your cake and eat it too but not recognizing who helped make the cake category.

This is/would be a very easy, extremely powerful symbolic fix by the LA Lakers.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:45 am

dboss wrote:

TJ

I agree with you without any reservation.  With all due respect to my esteemed board members, the Celtics goal today is to win #18.  The Lakers goal is the same.  

+1
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:47 am

dbrown4 wrote:tj,

db

I am not sure what the Lakers have publicly said about this.
I do know that nobody has worn #99 for the Lakers since Mikan did in 1956.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:51 am

Congrats to the Lakers, and their fans (that means you, TJ).

They had a very high quality center corp.  They had one of the best bigs in the game, a generational player, in Anthony Davis.  They had two additional shot blockers in McGee and Howard.  The Heat had Bam Adebayo, who isn't really even a center and Kelly Olynyk, who also isn't really a center.  There was just no comparison in size.  Spo had to have 6'6" Jae Crowder defend AD, and that's ridiculous.  Furthermore, look at the difference in ages of the two teams and their experience levels.

Lakers
LBJ - 36, 3 rings (when signed by LAL), elite generational player
AD - 26, #1 pick (and has always played like one)
McGee - 32, 2 rings (when signed by LAL).
Howard - almost 35, 3X DPOY, 8-time All-Star
Rondo - 34, 1 ring
Bradley - almost 30, 2X All-Defense 1st or 2nd team
Smith - 35, 1 ring
KCP - 27
Caruso and Kuzma were the young'uns, and they both have 3 years each.

Miami
Butler - 31 years old, 5X All-Star
Dragic - 34, All-Star (off their bench)
Iggy - 36, 3 rings, Finals MVP
Crowder and Kelly are nice players, that's it.
Robinson and Herro are young, and faded in the Finals.

Boston
Our only 'Champions' were Theis and Wanny, and they were German League titles.
Kemba and Gordon, two max players, had very limited playoff experience and played like it.
The J's are 22 and 23.  They are the top talent on the team and there is one All-Star appearance between them.
Smart is 26.  He's an elite defender, no All-Star recognition.
The rest of the roster are not elite players who want a ring, they're discards (e.g. Kanter) or kindergarteners.  We're quibbling over which Williams kid should have gotten more minutes.  Think about how weak that whole argument is right out of the gate.  "Which toddler should have played more?".  That makes my eyes roll like one-armed Vegas bandits.

But it all began when Magic convinced LeBron to come west.  That's when the dominoes began to fall.  Just like in Miami (Chris Bosh, Ray Allen, Shane Battier) and his 2nd stint in Cleveland players who are high-quality players in the 2nd half of their careers flocked to him to win a ring.  The difference between 2014 (when the Cavs lost to GSW) and 2015 (when they won) was an additional year of "been there, done that" Finals experience and the addition of high quality subs like Richard Jefferson and Mo Williams.  There were 7 (seven!) players on that Cavs Championship team with > 10 years NBA experience.  They were NOT a young team, not even close.  This is also what happened in 2008 with us.  Danny brought in Ray Allen, which flipped the script in KG's mind, and after that we had players like PJ Brown and Eddie House and James Posey sign with us for little $ just because they, correctly, saw us as likely to compete for a ring.  Those players were the backbone of our Championship team and NONE of those players were young except for Rondo and Rondo's job was just to feed The Big 3.

Danny needs to bring in a player that will draw elite talent here, either as a free agent or someone who will accept/ask for a trade.  I suggested IT in another thread.  He brought us Al Horford, if you remember.  We lost Al for a variety of reasons but he was a good signing at the time.

I am DONE with the long-term perspective.  Let some other team invest in a player's development, I want them after they're developed.  Screw "building", I want "built".  Win a Championship.  THEN worry about repeating.  

Is Butler still with the team that drafted him, the Chicago Bulls?  No.  Rondo?  No.  Bradley?  No.  AD?  No.  In fact, other than Caruso and Kuzma (who used to be a starter), name a 2020 Champion Laker that they drafted that got any real minutes in these playoffs.  The idea that drafting talent and developing it is the path to a championship is, in my opinion, a fatally flawed, and unproven, premise.  

Danny needs to get us Giannis or some other player that is a talent magnet.  A player that makes players on other teams look at us and say "if I want a ring I need to go there NOW".  Are Tatum and Brown the future?  Yes, but how far into the future?  The further you look the fuzzier the picture gets.  If we have to gut our team down to the small, hard, core so be it.  Bench players are a dime-a-dozen.  The question revolves around their quality, NOT their price.  Get the elite "ready for prime time" starters and you'll get bench players like McGee and Rondo and Bradley for the same prices you'll get Kanter, Wanny and EITHER Williams.  We won't need to draft, and count on, Carsen Edwards being the real deal, Danny will be able to sign a JJ Redick/Lou Williams/Terrence Ross type who we know is the real deal because those players want rings too.  

There are trade rumors/suggestions of trading Gordon Hayward for Miles Turner.  I know we need a real big but will Miles Turner really move the needle a lot?  WOULD HE DRAW OTHER ELITE PLAYERS HERE?  If not, then I call him a double and I think Danny needs to swing for the fences.  You can talk about LeBron's age, but he's not slowing down much.  You can look at GSW's age too, but they're not that old and they have the #1 pick in this year's draft.

Bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:36 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : slight clarification of a point, specifically who would think "if I want a ring I need to go there NOW")
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:17 pm

Cool.  Just seemed a little odd like there's got to be a reason why this hasn't been cleared up long ago...somebody said something about someone's mother, old hatchet that needs to be buried.

It would have to be done posthumously, of course.  Heck, even Shaq paid for his funeral because Mikan and his family were flat broke and literally could not afford his funeral.  That looked like an attempt to try to amend something or recognize the past that helped make the future what it is today or just a random act of kindness, mercy and gratitude.    

I must be the only one that thinks this is odd after all these years next to Matty and hasn't been rectified/recognized by the organization.  I'm not discounting the 5 championships and use the same reasoning agreed to by tj and dboss.  But if one is going to gloss over like the police telling us to move on and there is nothing to see here sans a viable explanation, it just seems a bit strange that's all.

I guess the first and only question is was Mikan's career worthy of having his jersey # retired?  Or did Minneapolis retire it already?        

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:29 pm

bobheckler wrote:Congrats to the Lakers, and their fans (that means you, TJ).

They had a very high quality center corp.  They had one of the best bigs in the game, a generational player, in Anthony Davis.  They had two additional shot blockers in McGee and Howard.  The Heat had Bam Adebayo, who isn't really even a center and Kelly Olynyk, who also isn't really a center.  There was just no comparison in size.  Spo had to have 6'6" Jae Crowder defend AD, and that's ridiculous.  Furthermore, look at the difference in ages of the two teams and their experience levels.

Lakers
Rondo - 34, 1 ring
Smith - 35, 1 ring
KCP - 27

Miami

Boston
Kemba and Gordon, two max players, had very limited playoff experience and played like it.
The J's are 22 and 23.  They are the top talent on the team and there is one All-Star appearance between them.
The rest of the roster are not elite players who want a ring, they're discards (e.g. Kanter) or kindergarteners.  We're quibbling over which Williams kid should have gotten more minutes.  Think about how weak that whole argument is right out of the gate.  "Which toddler should have played more?".  That makes my eyes roll like one-armed Vegas bandits.

But it all began when Magic convinced LeBron to come west.  That's when the dominoes began to fall.  Just like in Miami (Chris Bosh, Ray Allen, Shane Battier) and his 2nd stint in Cleveland players who are high-quality players in the 2nd half of their careers flocked to him to win a ring.  The difference between 2014 (when the Cavs lost to GSW) and 2015 (when they won) was an additional year of "been there, done that" Finals experience and the addition of high quality subs like Richard Jefferson and Mo Williams.  There were 7 (seven!) players on that Cavs Championship team with > 10 years NBA experience.  They were NOT a young team, not even close.  This is also what happened in 2008 with us.  Danny brought in Ray Allen, which flipped the script in KG's mind, and after that we had players like PJ Brown and Eddie House and James Posey sign with us for little $ just because they, correctly, saw us as likely to compete for a ring.  Those players were the backbone of our Championship team and NONE of those players were young except for Rondo and Rondo's job was just to feed The Big 3.

Danny needs to bring in a player that will draw elite talent here, either as a free agent or someone who will accept/ask for a trade.  I suggested IT in another thread.  He brought us Al Horford, if you remember.  We lost Al for a variety of reasons but he was a good signing at the time.

I am DONE with the long-term perspective.  Let some other team invest in a player's development, I want them after they're developed.  Screw "building", I want "built".  Win a Championship.  THEN worry about repeating.  

Is Butler still with the team that drafted them, the Chicago Bulls?  No.  Rondo?  No.  Bradley?  No.  AD?  No.  In fact, other than Caruso and Kuzma (who used to be a starter), name a 2020 Champion Laker that they drafted that got any real minutes in these playoffs.  The idea that drafting talent and developing it is the path to a championship is, in my opinion, a fatally flawed, and unproven, premise.  

Danny needs to get us Giannis or some other player that is a talent magnet.  A player that makes other teams look at us and say "if I want a ring I need to go there NOW".  Are Tatum and Brown the future?  Yes, but how far into the future?  The further you look the less fuzzier the picture gets.  If we have to gut our team down to the small, hard, core so be it.  Bench players are a dime-a-dozen.  The question revolves around their quality, NOT their price.  Get the elite "ready for prime time" starters and you'll get bench players like McGee and Rondo and Bradley for the same prices you'll get Kanter, Wanny and EITHER Williams.  We won't need to draft, and count on, Carsen Edwards being the real deal, Danny will be able to sign a JJ Redick/Lou Williams/Terrence Ross type who we know is the real deal because those players want rings too.  

There are trade rumors/suggestions of trading Gordon Hayward for Miles Turner.  I know we need a real big but will Miles Turner really move the needle a lot?  WOULD HE DRAW OTHER ELITE PLAYERS HERE?  If not, then I call him a double and I think Danny needs to swing for the fences.  You can talk about LeBron's age, but he's not slowing down much.  You can look at GSW's age too, but they're not that old and they have the #1 pick in this year's draft.

Bob

Bob,

In looking at your post comparing how the champion Lakers were built to where the Celtics are now, I understand your reasoning completely.

The one thing I see as an absolute reality is your thought that the team would need to get down to the smallest core. I think that would very well dictate giving up at least one of Tatum, Brown or Smart.

So then we're going right back down the '07 trail and that saw us part with Al Jefferson and two '09 1st rounders and several other players. OK, I agree you need that to bring back a difference maker. I believe you're also spot-on as far as building the bench. As I recall, the key elements of the '07 - '08 bench came in specifically because KG and Allen were here.

My commentary back to your post is this then; maybe. Just maybe this is what we will see happen. We have a great young core, but need a big and bench scoring. It is possible we can get some of what we need through the draft, but odds of that quickly creating a title run like in LA are not 100%. I think what you would like or be willing to see is a true possibility. We have the pieces and would need to move some bodies to make the money work. It would be a dramatic solution, but Danny has blown things up more than once since he arrived in the front office. Let's say Brown, 2020 pick #14, our own 2021 1st rounder and 4 or 5 players from the bench. Maybe include either Theis or Kanter, RWIII, Wannamaker and G Williams. I wouldn't call it a surprise.

Regards

Note; Congrats TJ! That is the original meaning behind this thread after all!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:07 pm

Bob,

Nice post.

The rest of the roster are not elite players who want a ring, they're discards (e.g. Kanter) or kindergarteners. We're quibbling over which Williams kid should have gotten more minutes. Think about how weak that whole argument is right out of the gate. "Which toddler should have played more?". That makes my eyes roll like one-armed Vegas bandits.

I loved that part.

Luck the Fakers!!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. drunken

Lakers Tie Celtics with #17 Logo_f11
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:09 pm

dboss wrote:The LAL won their 17th championship Title and in so doing , tied our Boston Celtics with 17  titles.

The NBA including all the players coaches, support staff, etc, pulled off what will become the greatest season in the history of the sport.  This season lasted 12 months.  It was really incredible on so many levels.

There were several rare situations that were in play.  3 former Celtics played in this series and if not for the Avery Bradley opt out, there would have been 4.  Rajon Rondo my favorite PG along with Cousy became only the 2nd player in history to win a Championship with both the Celtics and Lakers.  Two players on the Lakers won a title for 3 different teams  (James and Green)

Lebron James earned every bit of his 4th MVP award and in so doing  established a precedent that will  be a standard of measurement for the future.    At age 35 James is the oldest player who has played at an MVP  level.  His durability sets him apart from everyone else.  James is the all time playoff scoring leader in history and has played in more playoff games than anyone.  

I disagree that this is what will become the “greatest season in the history of the sport”!! Cmon dboss. Hype much? LOL!!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:12 pm

Should OKC hang a SuperSonics banner? Should Atlanta hang St. Louis Hawks Banner’s? Should the 76ers hang Syracuse Nats banners? I’ll wait...

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:16 pm

dboss wrote:This Laker victory will not diminished the rivalry.  Celtics fans like myself will NEVER capitulate.  

Our team has work to do.  It is just a matter of time before The Celtics are the last team standing.  I am reminded that the Celtics were just 2 games removed from playing in the championship series.  I fully expect this team to take a step forward and not back.

We played them 12 times in the finals and won 9. To me sir, that is not a rivalry. That is domination!!!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:37 pm

bobheckler wrote:Congrats to the Lakers, and their fans (that means you, TJ).

Lakers
Rondo - 34, 1 ring
Smith - 35, 1 ring
KCP - 27

Miami

Boston

Is Butler still with the team that drafted them, the Chicago Bulls?  No.  Rondo?  No.  Bradley?  No.  AD?  No.  In fact, other than Caruso and Kuzma (who used to be a starter), name a 2020 Champion Laker that they drafted that got any real minutes in these playoffs.  The idea that drafting talent and developing it is the path to a championship is, in my opinion, a fatally flawed, and unproven, premise.  

Danny needs to get us Giannis or some other player that is a talent magnet.  A player that makes players on other teams look at us and say "if I want a ring I need to go there NOW".  Are Tatum and Brown the future?  Yes, but how far into the future?  The further you look the less fuzzier the picture gets.  If we have to gut our team down to the small, hard, core so be it.  Bench players are a dime-a-dozen.  The question revolves around their quality, NOT their price.  Get the elite "ready for prime time" starters and you'll get bench players like McGee and Rondo and Bradley for the same prices you'll get Kanter, Wanny and EITHER Williams.  We won't need to draft, and count on, Carsen Edwards being the real deal, Danny will be able to sign a JJ Redick/Lou Williams/Terrence Ross type who we know is the real deal because those players want rings too.  

Bob

Many many good points here Bob, but....LeBron too flocked to Miami in cahoots with Wade and Bosh to get a ring or 2 until he lost to SA and took his ball and went home. LeBrons title with Cleveland in my opinion is his most significant. Again the 2 in Miami came about through his secreted collaboration with others. His venture to LA was goin to happen Magic or no Magic and his forming an agency and signing AD was somewhat underhanded as well. MOST of the really great ones won with the same teams they started with.
As for building through the draft, I do agree its a daunting and sometimes an unrewarding task but it can be done. See: Golden State Warriors.
I’d much rather win now as we did in 08 and probably would have in 09 10 and 11 if Danny had kept Posey and a few of those guys you mentioned around and Garnett did not get hurt. I blame Danny mostly for being a cheap ass as Posey was so important to that team. I don’t know if we are ever going to get a dude thats going to attract other players and maybe we already have him and it just hasn’t reached the surface or that level yet in Tatum or Brown. I don’t even know if we need to if Danny can swing the right move and bring one more key guy in (whoever that may be). I think we are that close to making a major 3-4 yr run.

PS Fk the Lakers

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:38 pm

LA Lakers have imprinted their championship rings with dates of prior championships - but exclude championship dates from Minnesota.

LA Lakers have never honored the best Laker from the Mikan era - Mikan. And it is not because #99 was co-opted by the Get Smart TV franchise.

Sure, the franchise has won 17 championships, but LA the city has won 12. Boston the city has won 17.

LA was blessed to have LeBron join their team. He is a magnificent player. A phenom. LA Lakers has a great and storied history. They won a historic championship this year. Now let's move on.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:34 pm

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:The LAL won their 17th championship Title and in so doing , tied our Boston Celtics with 17  titles.

The NBA including all the players coaches, support staff, etc, pulled off what will become the greatest season in the history of the sport.  This season lasted 12 months.  It was really incredible on so many levels.

There were several rare situations that were in play.  3 former Celtics played in this series and if not for the Avery Bradley opt out, there would have been 4.  Rajon Rondo my favorite PG along with Cousy became only the 2nd player in history to win a Championship with both the Celtics and Lakers.  Two players on the Lakers won a title for 3 different teams  (James and Green)

Lebron James earned every bit of his 4th MVP award and in so doing  established a precedent that will  be a standard of measurement for the future.    At age 35 James is the oldest player who has played at an MVP  level.  His durability sets him apart from everyone else.  James is the all time playoff scoring leader in history and has played in more playoff games than anyone.  

I disagree that this is what will become the “greatest season in the history of the sport”!! Cmon dboss. Hype much? LOL!!

As a Celtics fan my thoughts are closely intertwined with the rivalry with the Lakers.  The irony of former celtics playing for the opposing teams.  The rare occurrence of Rajon Rondo winning a title with both teams yet separated by 12 years.  I find the entire context of this NBA season extraordinary. The historical impact of a 100 year level pandemic event that has already killed over 1,000,000 people in this world.  The shear audacity of creating a bubble environment that worked to perfection.  The 12 month length of an NBA season with no home games in the bubble. The difficult social issues pounding away at us everyday.  And in the end the arc rival Lakers tying the Celtics with their 17th title

Ktron I really am not trying to hype this up.  I find all of these things to be historical and I cannot find a reference point to look at where all of this was going on.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:34 pm

Ktron wrote:

Should OKC hang a SuperSonics banner?  Should Atlanta hang St. Louis Hawks Banner’s? Should the 76ers hang Syracuse Nats banners?  I’ll wait...

Absolutely teams should bring their banners with them when they move.
If the Celtics moved to another city, they should bring all championships and banners.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:38 pm

The Hawks have the 1958 St Louis banner hanging

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content