NYCelt
Matty
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Lakers Tie Celtics with #17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Lakers Tie Celtics with #17

Post by NYCelt Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:30 pm

Ktron wrote:
tjmakz wrote:This is an old and tired discussion.
The Lakers had 7 players who played for the Lakers in Minneapolis in the 1959-60 season and then in Los Angeles in the 1960-61.
Do you think Elgin Baylor feels he played for one organization in his 14 year career or two organizations because the Lakers moved after his second season?

Should the Raiders not count their history because they now play in Las Vegas?

The records are that the Celtics and the Lakers have 17 championships.

Should OKC hang a SuperSonics banner?  Should Atlanta hang St. Louis Hawks Banner’s? Should the 76ers hang Syracuse Nats banners?  I’ll wait...

Ktron,

For what it's worth, Atlanta has a St. Louis banner, Sacramento has a Rochester banner and OKC flies a '79 Sonics banner in the CE Arena.

I don't know about a banner, but the 76ers have a lobby display at the Wells Fargo Center honoring Al Cervi's '54 - '55 title winning Nationals season.

Regards

EDIT... I'm told the 76ers do have a '54 - '55 Syracuse banner hanging next to their '66 - '67 Philly title banner.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:57 pm

dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:The LAL won their 17th championship Title and in so doing , tied our Boston Celtics with 17  titles.
There will be no asterisk attached to this accomplishment.  

The NBA including all the players coaches, support staff, etc, pulled off what will become the greatest season in the history of the sport.  This season lasted 12 months.  It was really incredible on so many levels.

There were several rare situations that were in play.  3 former Celtics played in this series and if not for the Avery Bradley opt out, there would have been 4.  Rajon Rondo my favorite PG along with Cousy became only the 2nd player in history to win a Championship with both the Celtics and Lakers.  Two players on the Lakers won a title for 3 different teams  (James and Green)

Lebron James earned every bit of his 4th MVP award and in so doing  established a precedent that will  be a standard of measurement for the future.    At age 35 James is the oldest player who has played at an MVP  level.  His durability sets him apart from everyone else.  James is the all time playoff scoring leader in history and has played in more playoff games than anyone.  

I disagree that this is what will become the “greatest season in the history of the sport”!! Cmon dboss. Hype much? LOL!!

As a Celtics fan my thoughts are closely intertwined with the rivalry with the Lakers.  The irony of former celtics playing for the opposing teams.  The rare occurrence of Rajon Rondo winning a title with both teams yet separated by 12 years.  I find the entire context of this NBA season extraordinary. The historical impact of a 100 year level pandemic event that has already killed over 1,000,000 people in this world.  The shear audacity of creating a bubble environment that worked to perfection.  The 12 month length of an NBA season with no home games in the bubble. The difficult social issues pounding away at us everyday.  And in the end the arc rival Lakers tying the Celtics with their 17th title

Ktron I really am not trying to hype this up.  I find all of these things to be historical and I cannot find a reference point to look at where all of this was going on.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:59 pm

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:The LAL won their 17th championship Title and in so doing , tied our Boston Celtics with 17  titles.
There will be no asterisk attached to this accomplishment.  

The NBA including all the players coaches, support staff, etc, pulled off what will become the greatest season in the history of the sport.  This season lasted 12 months.  It was really incredible on so many levels.

There were several rare situations that were in play.  3 former Celtics played in this series and if not for the Avery Bradley opt out, there would have been 4.  Rajon Rondo my favorite PG along with Cousy became only the 2nd player in history to win a Championship with both the Celtics and Lakers.  Two players on the Lakers won a title for 3 different teams  (James and Green)

Lebron James earned every bit of his 4th MVP award and in so doing  established a precedent that will  be a standard of measurement for the future.    At age 35 James is the oldest player who has played at an MVP  level.  His durability sets him apart from everyone else.  James is the all time playoff scoring leader in history and has played in more playoff games than anyone.  

I disagree that this is what will become the “greatest season in the history of the sport”!! Cmon dboss. Hype much? LOL!!

As a Celtics fan my thoughts are closely intertwined with the rivalry with the Lakers.  The irony of former celtics playing for the opposing teams.  The rare occurrence of Rajon Rondo winning a title with both teams yet separated by 12 years.  I find the entire context of this NBA season extraordinary. The historical impact of a 100 year level pandemic event that has already killed over 1,000,000 people in this world.  The shear audacity of creating a bubble environment that worked to perfection.  The 12 month length of an NBA season with no home games in the bubble. The difficult social issues pounding away at us everyday.  And in the end the arc rival Lakers tying the Celtics with their 17th title

Ktron I really am not trying to hype this up.  I find all of these things to be historical and I cannot find a reference point to look at where all of this was going on.
I would have to agree with everything you mentioned, it will go down as the most historic season in league history. For sure!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:01 pm

NYCelt wrote:
Ktron wrote:
tjmakz wrote:This is an old and tired discussion.
The Lakers had 7 players who played for the Lakers in Minneapolis in the 1959-60 season and then in Los Angeles in the 1960-61.
Do you think Elgin Baylor feels he played for one organization in his 14 year career or two organizations because the Lakers moved after his second season?

Should the Raiders not count their history because they now play in Las Vegas?

The records are that the Celtics and the Lakers have 17 championships.

Should OKC hang a SuperSonics banner?  Should Atlanta hang St. Louis Hawks Banner’s? Should the 76ers hang Syracuse Nats banners?  I’ll wait...

Ktron,

For what it's worth, Atlanta has a St. Louis banner, Sacramento has a Rochester banner and OKC flies a '79 Sonics banner in the CE Arena.

I don't know about a banner, but the 76ers have a lobby display at the Wells Fargo Center honoring Al Cervi's '54 - '55 title winning Nationals season.

Regards

EDIT... I'm told the 76ers do have a '54 - '55 Syracuse banner hanging next to their '66 - '67 Philly title banner.

Welp! I used to to Hawks game and recall seeing Pettit but not a St. Louis Hawks championship banner. If you say OKC and the others have championship banners hanging, I stand corrected.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2