Theis has surgery on left knee

2 posters

Go down

Theis has surgery on left knee Empty Theis has surgery on left knee

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:17 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/10/boston-celtics-center-daniel-theis-has-surgery-on-left-knee.html

Boston Celtics Center Daniel Theis has surgery on left knee

Updated Oct 21, 2020; Posted Oct 21, 2020

Theis has surgery on left knee JMEB6CWXUFGTLGGGGD4SPRTWUA
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA - FEBRUARY 23: Daniel Theis #27 of the Boston Celtics reacts to a play during the first quarter against the Los Angeles Lakers at Staples Center on February 23, 2020 in Los Angeles, California. The Lakers won 114-112. (Photo by Katelyn Mulcahy/Getty Images)Getty Images

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

The Boston Celtics announced Wednesday that center Daniel Theis underwent surgery on his left knee this week, including the removal of a “loose body." The team said the arthroscopic procedure was successful and is not expected to prevent him from being ready for training camp.

Theis is coming off what was easily his best season in Boston, averaging 9.2 points on 60.3% true shooting, 6.6 rebounds, and 1.3 blocks, all career-highs. His playoff performance dipped a bit, though, mostly because teams laid off him when he was behind the 3-point line. His 33.3% from deep was cut in more than half during the postseason.

It’s unclear if that was a result of whatever knee issues he was experiencing. It’s also unclear if this is related to the meniscus tear he suffered in March of 2018.

Theis' $5 million for next season is currently non-guaranteed, and with the league’s finances still being figured out, team are not allowed to conduct any business. It is expected that the team will guarantee his salary, though his future in Boston is unclear beyond that.

Theis earned regular starting minutes early in the season, partly because Enes Kanter suffered an opening night knee injury that kept him out for a month. Theis was also familiar with Brad Stevens' defensive style and more mobile than Kanter, so it’s likely he would have been the starter regardless.

The Celtics were the fourth-best defense in the league with Theis as their starter as his familiarity and continuity paid off. Theis was also responsible for helping wings get to the rim by sealing off defenders under the basket. It was a signature move that earned praise from Jayson Tatum after a particularly effective game.

“I told Theis I’m gonna get him something for his birthday, might get him a watch or something,” Tatum said after the Celtics win in Portland. “Especially for me, he opened the game up so much for me, getting me easy buckets and then that opens the game. That’s a thing that doesn’t show up in the stat book. Theis is that dude.”

Bob
MY NOTE: I don't understand why it took him so long after the end of our season for him to have this taken care of. Big takeaway from this article for me is the reminder that we had the 4th best defense in the league with him as our starting center. We can say what we want about his height and his series against Bam and all but the numbers don't lie. We had an elite defense last year with him anchoring it on the baseline.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Theis has surgery on left knee Empty Re: Theis has surgery on left knee

Post by NYCelt Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:03 pm

Theis has been a bargain from the start. I have no complaints about what he has contributed since originally being signed.

I think he would be very valuable as a second center option off the bench or as part of a package in a deal to build and re-structure the front-court.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down