Theis and 2 seconds

for

Fournier and Wagner

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Daniel Theis has left the building Empty Re: Daniel Theis has left the building

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:14 pm

Ryan McDonough: Details of the Celtics/Wizards/Bulls deal, per league sources: Wizards get D. Gafford, C. Hutchinson Celtics get L. Kornet, M. Wagner Bulls get D. Theis, J. Green, T. Brown Jr. , $1.3m (from BOS) $250k (from WAS) 33 seconds ago – via Twitter McDNBA

so Thies, J. Green OUT

Wagner and Kornet IN
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:15 pm

This has me scratching my head...

So we get a big downgrade in Mo Wagner instead of the experience and solid play of Theis one of the most solild defenders in the bubble in the last playoffs.

What else do we get? Salary dump so Wyc does not have to pay? I thought we were ALREADY under the cap?

Or we are planning on signing someone after a buyout?

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:15 pm

Jared Weiss: The Magic will receive Jeff Teague and two second-round picks from the Celtics to complete the Evan Fournier trade, league sources tell @Josh Robbins and me. Teague has been told he doesn’t have to report to the Magic and will be waived, per a league source. 12 mins ago – via Twitter JaredWeissNBA

Teague and two seconds OUT

Fournier IN

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:16 pm

Teague going to orlando i heard

2:57pm: Ryan McDonough of Radio.com provides the full details on the trade, explaining (via Twitter) that it’ll be folded into the previously-reported Bulls/Wizards swap that involved Wagner. The breakdown is as follows, per McDonough:

The Bulls will receive Theis, Green, Troy Brown, $1.3MM in cash from the Celtics, and $250K in cash from the Wizards.
The Celtics will receive Kornet and Wagner.
The Wizards will receive Daniel Gafford and Chandler Hutchison.
The C’s will end up $950K below the tax line as a result of their series of moves, tweets Marks.

2:31pm: The Celtics and Bulls have agreed to a deal that will send Daniel Theis to Chicago and Moritz Wagner to Boston, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski (Twitter links). K.C. Johnson of NBC Sports Chicago first reported the talks between the two teams (Twitter link).

According to Johnson and Mark Murphy of The Boston Herald (Twitter links), Jeff Teague and Javonte Green were also discussed leading up to the deadline, with the possibility of a third team joining the mix. Teague will be sent to Orlando as part of the Evan Fournier trade and will subsequently be waived, per Josh Robbins and Jared Weiss of The Athletic.

It’s not clear if a third team will take on Green or if he’ll be end up going to the Bulls, but the Celtics are believed to be acquiring Luke Kornet from Chicago in the deal, tweets Murphy.

The move will get the Celtics get out of luxury tax territory following their acquisition of Fournier, as Bobby Marks of ESPN tweets.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:16 pm

Bobby Marks: After a series of moves, Boston will remain below the tax ($950K) when factoring in that Jaylen Brown will reach his $1.3M All-Star bonus. 36 seconds ago – via Twitter BobbyMarks42

UNDER the TAX line now.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:20 pm

so moves today:

Theis, J. Teague, J. green and two seconds GONE

Fournier, Wagner, Kornet IN

we got slightly better and stayed under the tax which was obvioulsy what the team planned on.

Fournier and Kornet are UFAs

Wagner is RFA next year
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:23 pm

kdp59 wrote:so moves today:

Theis, J. Teague, J. green and two seconds GONE

Fournier, Wagner, Kornet IN

we got slightly better and stayed under the tax which was obviously what the team planned on.

Fournier and Kornet are UFAs

Wagner is RFA next year

I am starting to think this was the directive Danny was given, not upgrade the team.

I do not like losing Theis for a bag of chips...at all. This just shows they are ready to throw in the towel unless there is more coming from buyout market.

I am willing to give Danny a break on this on though. It was clearly Wyc/ownership decision and he had to make due with a lot more limited options.

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:23 pm

I have been saying this all along that Boston is concerned about the Luxury Tax.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:30 pm

yes they are concerned about the Tax

they are going to be a taxpaying team starting next year for a while, the repeater tax get expensive.

staying UNDER this year was the right and smart move unless you are a a title contender. There was no moves that this team could have done today to become a serious title team this year.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:34 pm

Doesn't do much to improve the team over all, but should give more minutes to RWIII. THAT may be a boost over the long haul.

Wagner is a throw in. The team has seen RWIII is ready, I think.

Good move for RWIII.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:08 pm

1.  Theis was going to be gone next year anyway because he's worth more than the $5M he's making now and Danny wouldn't pay him that much more.

2.  Luke Kornet can, and in my opinion will, be waived.  Think about how bad that would be.  7'2", 250# and can't play in the NBA.  At least Tacko has the excuse he didn't pick up a basketball until he came to America.  You know you suck when you get cut and the same team that cut you keeps Tacko.

3.  All y'all who have been calling for The Time Lord to become the Celtics' starting center just got your wish, or his minutes are definitely going to be much higher, approaching starter minutes if not that.  If he got promoted, and Theis was still with the Celtics and got demoted, he absolutely would have left in 2 months regardless for nothing.  

4.  We have just become more of a traditional looking team, with our bigs all being more comfortable in the paint than from outside.  With Theis gone our pnp option using our bigs is gone.  Could we do it with a smallball 5 like Grant and/or Semi?  Yeah, but they aren't as dangerous from range as Theis is.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:14 pm

I just read that Kelly O will be bought out and is heading back to Boston.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:17 pm

I’m pissed I liked Theis, you can’t play RW and TT together, can’t believe we got rid of him....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:24 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/03/makes-sense-of-daniel-theis-trade-why-did-celtics-deal-big-man-to-bulls-for-mo-wagner-luke-kornet.html

Making sense of Daniel Theis trade: Why did Celtics deal big man to Bulls for Mo Wagner, Luke Kornet?

Updated 4:26 PM; Today 4:18 PM

Daniel Theis has left the building DCMPAJ2MYNEUJMHDXCR6CYXL2A
Boston Celtics center Daniel Theis (27) against the Golden State Warriors during an NBA basketball game in San Francisco, Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2021. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu)AP

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

The Celtics are finalizing a second trade deadline deal on Thursday, moving Daniel Theis in a three-team swap with the Chicago Bulls and Washington Wizards that also sees Jeff Teague and Javonte Green being moved out. Boston lands fourth-year center Mo Wagner to Boston along with Bulls big man Luke Kornet.

So what are the motivations behind the deal from Boston’s perspective that is seemingly a step-down for Boston on the court? Let’s look at the factors involved.

The Celtics needed to cut salary after acquiring Fournier: Boston had a couple of million dollars they needed to shed in payroll in order to drop below the luxury tax line this season, a priority for a team that is below the .500 mark and will be paying the luxury tax for years to come if they want to put together a contender in a loaded Eastern Conference.

The Celtics had a variety of options in order to cut salary but moving on from Theis was the easiest way to achieve this goal without losing other assets on the roster. Bringing in Wagner ($2.1 million expiring salary) is a downgrade on the court but provides a stretch big option for Boston that can replace some of Theis’ 3-point shooting. In the meantime, the Celtics drop under the luxury tax line, giving them some needed breathing room to stay under the tax and potentially add a buyout player. Paying the tax this season was not a big issue for Boston’s ownership according to league sources but the prospect of triggering the harsher repeater tax sooner later this decade by staying in it for 2020-21 was enough to make it a priority to stay below that threshold in the present. Avoiding the tax now keeps Boston three years away from triggering the repeater tax, instead of facing it next season.

Opening the door for more opportunity for the young guys: Moving out Theis was done for financial reasons but the other factors involved with other names in this deal were clearly to open the door for Boston’s younger bench players. Jeff Teague had played two of his best games of the season this past week but all year long he had been eating into the playing time of Payton Pritchard and Carsen Edwards with underwhelming results. Similarly, Javonte Green gives Brad Stevens one fewer veteran option at the wing, opening the door for more chances for Aaron Nesmith to get regular reps along with Romeo Langford once he’s cleared to return. Rob Williams is also set to become the team’s starting center for as long as Tristan Thompson stays sidelined and may keep that spot if he performs well in the new role. Boston’s front office knows a big part of the team’s future is reliant upon those recent draft picks turning into useful rotation players (or more) and in order for that to happen, they need to play more now. Not all of them will turn into something worth keeping around over the long-term but taking out some veteran guys out of the equation will put Brad Stevens in a spot where he has to lean on the younger guys more off the bench, for better or worse.

Theis was not part of the long-term plan for Boston: The German center played well in his 3.5 years in Boston but the team’s payroll for next season made it very likely that the team would be able to pay Theis what he would command on the open market this offseason as he was set to become an unrestricted free agent. Instead of letting him walk away for nothing this offseason, they opted to move him proactively. The team will also create new $5 million trade exception after dealing him out since they will take Kornet and Wagner into Boston’s smaller TPEs.

All things considered, there wasn’t much about today that changes some tough looming big picture decisions for Boston. They still have tough choices to make this offseason involving future payroll and core players. However, they acquired a name that upgrades the team in the present in Fournier and potentially longer if the two sides agree to a long-term deal eventually. This trade helps keep the team’s finances in order for the present and paves the way for young guys to play a bigger role the rest of the way at a variety of positions. We will see if they are up for the challenge.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Ok, a little more info now.  So they came using the Kanter-to-Portland TPE and the Poirier-to-OKC TPE.  This is good since most TPEs expire unused and the smaller they are the harder it is to do anything with them.  So Danny used both of the smaller ones and 60% of the bigger one.  That's efficient money management, not just by using exceptions available (and we were going to lose Kanter and Poirier anyway, so it's free money) but also because using those exceptions keeps us under the onerous repeater luxury tax.

Another factor at play here, salary-wise, is that Jaylen Brown will get paid an additional $1.3M for making the All-Star Team per his contract.  I don't know if this money is added onto the team's cap or not, but it's money and 2020 was not a bumper year for live sports team owners.

Perhaps the paragraph of this piece that made me focus the most is the one that begins "Opening the door". People have been wondering why Nesmith isn't playing more and showing us what he's capable of.  They want Pritchard and Edwards to get seasoned.  EVERYBODY has been calling for more minutes for RWill.  With Green gone there's minutes for Nesmith and Romeo, with Teague gone there's minutes for PP and CE and with Theis gone RWill moves up the depth chart.  Whether he starts or not he's clearly not the 3rd center on the team anymore.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:39 pm

gyso wrote:I just read that Kelly O will be bought out and is heading back to Boston.

gyso,

That 'thud' you just heard was Cowens fainting.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:48 pm

kdp59 wrote:Salary dump

And, I think, a pretty clear indication that Danny knows this is a lost year....

Everyone loved Theis - I know some here agree he is one of the best contracts in the NBA - but Danny knew he couldn't pay him what he is worth. At least Danny replaced him with another enormous Teuton....

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:02 pm

gyso wrote:I just read that Kelly O will be bought out and is heading back to Boston.

That will be fun in many ways!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:23 pm

This will be the telling year, these kids are going to get their time on the floor, decisions to be made, who to keep, who to dump at end of season.
Williams is getting the shot of a lifetime here. They will be able to make a decision on him also. Those moments of “out in space” will have to go away. Pressure on him now. I hope he takes full advantage of this opportunity.

I hate losing Theis, I know he would have probably been gone next year anyway, is certainly worth more than he is making. He was enjoyable, gave his all while on the court, and improved every year. Too bad, he fit in here so well.

I know nothing about the others, I do believe that the young players now are playing for their careers.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:30 pm

Theis was nice.

Wagner (Vagner) is . . .

I got nothing.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:07 pm

gyso wrote:Theis was nice.