Hayward stays...then what?

5 posters

Go down

Hayward stays...then what? Empty Hayward stays...then what?

Post by kdp59 Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:07 pm

a couple options:

Option 1 w/Hayward staying and Kanter opting out

Ainge and Hayward have a press conference where Ainge says any thoughts of Hayward being traded is by idiots who know nothing. They announce that Hayward has opted out and signs a new 4 year deal.

With that out of the way onto the draft!

On draft day the Celtics trade R. Langford, #14 and #26 picks to Cleveland to move to the #5 pick.

The Celtics take O. Okongwu- USC at # 5.

Ainge drafts one of D. Bane, T. Bey or G. Riller with the #30 pick.

With the MLE Ainge signs one of Justin Holiday, L. Galloway or D. Jones Jr.

Celtics roster then:

Starters:
D. Theis
J. Tatum
G. Hayward
J. Brown
K. Walker

Rotational player (by minutes)
M. Smart
MLE signing
Okongwu
G. Williams
R. Williams

Deep Bench:
S. Ojeleye- he’s cheap and Stevens trust him
V. Poirier- Guaranteed salary
C. Edwards- Guaranteed salary
#30 PICK
I like signing T. Waters over J. Green who has a non guaranteed salary for the final roster spot

Wanamaker gets more money elsewhere.

Option 2 w/ G. Hayward opting in, Kanter opts out.

We will be a taxpaying team here, so only have the $5M MLE and vet minimum deals for any Free agent additions. Trades will require Matching salary going out ( or around 80% of incoming salary) and of course the draft to add players.
My current favorite idea under this option as follows.

The big trade with Indiana, it has been talked about before. Hayward , Robert Williams, #14 and #30 picks to the Pacers for M. Turner and V. Oladipo.

Why the Pacers do it. They need a player that can be that top all-star level player and need an upgrade at wing (Hayward). Oladipo like Hayward is on an expiring deal and there have been reports he prefers to play elsewhere. Turner and Sabonis both need minutes (and are paid) like starting big men. The Pacers do not have a first round pick this year and as a smaller market need to have players on rookies deals.

Why the Celtics do it. Turner give them a legit sized and skill level big man under a decent contract for three years. Oladipo will become that 6ht man for the Celtics and scorer off the bench OR they can move him for additional player(s) that fit that need, The Celtics simply do not have room for three first round draft pick on the roster and don’t need to get younger.
Basically IF this trade would happen I like to think of it as

Hayward for Oladipo (both expiring)
and
R. Williams , #14 and #30 for M. Turner.

Celtics roster after the trade

Starters:
M. Turner
J. Tatum
J. Brown
M. Smart
K. Walker

Rotation players (in order of minutes)
V. Oladipo
D. Theis
B. Wanamker – I re sign him **
G. Williams
R. Langford

Deep Bench:
S. Ojeleye- he’s cheap and Stevens trust him
V. Poirier- Guaranteed salary
C. Edwards- Guaranteed salary
#26 pick – I. Stewart, V. Carey, Z. Nnaji (one should be on the board)

I like signing T. Waters over J. Green who has a non guaranteed salary for the final roster spot

**Any salary Wanamaker gets will be all above the tax line and unless he will work cheap again it may be prohibitive to sign him. May have to look at a vet minimum deal instead.

OK...I'm done for now...see ya Tuesday!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Hayward stays...then what? Empty Re: Hayward stays...then what?

Post by dboss Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:01 pm

If Hayward stays there is no significant trade to be made unless you are going to move one of the other cores guys.  

I think he stays and then Danny pairs down the roster.  Enes leaves on his own.  Danny could pick up the team  QO  on Semi and then turn around and trade him along with VP and maybe a pick for a veteran. Wanny stays with us on a reasonable raise.

Green gets cut.  If anyone wants RL to get playing time Green becomes a luxury.

Danny uses #14 to draft Kemba's replacement and he uses 26 or 30 to add one of several centers that should be available.

RW moves up to becoming our primary BU center with both Kanter and VP gone.   RW has only played in 61 regular season games in 2 years.  If he is healthy he will see his MPG increase and his production.

Boston also uses their smaller tax payor MLE on veteran bench depth.

As anyone can see these changes are not blockbusters.  They basically maintain our core roster and add a vet through a minor trade and one via the MLE.  And we  add another prospect to the mix or maybe 2 through the draft.  Maybe a draft and stash late in the first round.

With regards to trades, any number of players drafted by Boston last year could be traded.  Every single one of them remains a question mark in terms of their upside.

If Boston comes out of this with nothing more than improved scoring from our bench we will be in the mix.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:40 pm

kdp,

I like your train of thought. You're hitting on an often discussed trading partner.

My guess is it takes more than Langford, #14 and #26 to move up to #5, however. I think you may have to throw something more into the mix.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:04 am

NYCelt wrote:kdp,

I like your train of thought. You're hitting on an often discussed trading partner.

My guess is it takes more than Langford, #14 and #26 to move up to #5, however. I think you may have to throw something more into the mix.

Regards

could be for sure, when I try to look at trade scenarios I look at the other teams roster to see possible needs and for draft trades I use this as a guide

http://nbasense.com/draft-pick-trade-value/2/kevin-pelton-2

it similar to what the NFL front offices really do use in their draft, though this isn't likely used by NBA teams of course. It is a guide only to draft picks value for me.

14 and 26 have a combined value of 1980 pts which could move one up as high as #8 (1910) to get to #5 (2240 pts) you could as the #33 pick on that chart. Langford was the #14 pick in last years draft, is on his rookie contract and is a wing ( an area of need for Cleveland). so that what my thinking on that possible trade up.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:41 am

Why not add Aron Baynes for the taxpayer MLE? Sounds like he might leave Phoenix.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:00 am

BingBang! wrote:Why not add Aron Baynes for the taxpayer MLE? Sounds like he might leave Phoenix.

I've read that a few here here like this option, me included.

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:34 am

Baynes may be an option for sure, as long as he is fine coming back after being traded.

then Ainge will certainly use the top draft pick on another young wing like Nesmith, Bey or Hampton, IMO.

that certainly would fit with the "stay the course and make smaller moves" off-season.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down