cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
pete
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sad News-Heinsohn Empty Sad News-Heinsohn

Post by pete Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:25 pm

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2020/11/10/tommy-heinsohn-celtics-coach-player-tv-dies?fbclid=IwAR3J9FDF-QK3ImoRjnJqAhuYm1Q2fNvhkQNd8wtVutKW6MolBMKAATim5FU
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Sad News-Heinsohn Empty Re: Sad News-Heinsohn

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:27 pm

F-ing 2020.

God. This sucks...

Sad
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:28 pm

Sure does Bob
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:36 pm

OMG this sucks, this hurts....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:59 pm

Yes, very sad.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:36 pm

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/pressrelease/celtics-statement-tommy-heinsohns-passing

Sad News-Heinsohn Tommy_10

By Boston Celtics | @Celtics
Celtics.com
November 10, 2020

It’s hard to imagine the Boston Celtics without Tommy Heinsohn. There isn’t a generation of Celtics fans for whom Tommy’s presence hasn’t been felt. He is the only person to be an active participant in each of the Celtics’ 17 World Championships, an extraordinary and singular legacy.

His career with the Celtics had an auspicious start, as he earned NBA Rookie of the Year honors in 1957. Even more notably, he was the best player on the floor in the decisive Game 7 of that season’s NBA Finals against the St. Louis Hawks, leading the team with 39 points and 23 rebounds as the Celtics delivered their first championship banner. Dominant performances and championships were no mere opening act; they would come to define his NBA playing career (1956-65), in which he was named to six All-Star teams and won eight NBA Championships, the team’s leading scorer for four of those title runs.

Red Auerbach named Tommy the team’s Head Coach in 1969. Like his playing career, Heinsohn's coaching tenure was punctuated by prosperity, as he directed the 1974 and 1976 squads to World Championships, won five Atlantic Division crowns, and was picked the league's Coach of the Year in 1973 during which he won a team record 68 games.

Tommy was honored on multiple occasions as a player, a coach, and a broadcaster. Among those honors, his number 15 was retired by the Celtics in 1965, and he was inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame as a player in 1986, and then as a coach in 2015. He is one of just four people to be inducted as both a Player and Coach, joining former teammate Bill Sharman, John Wooden and Lenny Wilkens.

For all of his accomplishments as a player, coach, and broadcaster, it is Tommy’s rich personality that defined the man. A loving father, grandfather, and husband. A talented painter and a lively golf partner. Unofficial mentor to decades of Celtics coaches and players. A frequent constructive critic of referees. Originator of the most “Celtic stat” of them all, The Tommy Point. And a boundless love for all things Boston Celtics, a passion which he shared with fans over 64 years.

We take this time to celebrate his life and legacy, and to share in the sorrow of his passing with his family, friends, and fans. As long as there are the Boston Celtics, Tommy’s spirit will remain alive.

STATEMENT FROM WYC GROUSBECK, STEVE PAGLIUCA AND THE BOSTON CELTICS OWNERSHIP GROUP

This is a devastating loss. Tommy was the ultimate Celtic. For the past 18 years, our ownership group has relied hugely on Tommy’s advice and insights and have reveled in his hundreds of stories about Red Auerbach, Bill Russell, and how the Celtics became a dynasty. He will be remembered forever.

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:47 pm

Hi,
Sad, sad, sad. The player, the coach, the broadcaster left...
RIP.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:35 pm

RIP Tommy.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:44 pm

More than anyone, Tommy kept the Celtics tradition alive. He was truly a great player, coach and broadcaster. Today is a sad day for all of us.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:27 pm

Chris Grenham
@chrisgrenham
·
24m
Awesome quote from Brad Stevens on
@NBCSBoston
talking about Tommy Heinsohn and his feelings towards officials:
Sad News-Heinsohn EmfoEOTXEAI4IG7?format=jpg&name=medium

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:41 pm

Tommy Heinsohn was the very spirit of the Boston Celtics.

There will never be another who can take his place.

He gets the ultimate Tommy Point.

RIP Tommy.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:11 pm

Heaven is building one hell of a Celtics team over time.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:33 pm

Thank you Tommy for being Mr. Celtic. May you Rest In Peace with your “Red Head in Needham.”

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:55 pm

My condolences to Tommy’s family and all Celtics fans.
Basketball lost an NBA legend.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:57 pm

Watching Celtics games will never be the same.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:07 pm

Brings tears to my eyes. One of my favorites. A true Celtic. He’ll be throughly missed by all. Rest well Tommy Point!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:11 pm

I have been around so long, I watched Tommy play and win, he had a wicked hook shot!!!, watched him coach and have listened to him sit side by side with Mike for 40 years. This is one sad day in Boston Celtics history. Our link to Red is getting smaller and smaller. We are losing the heart and soul of what made the Celtics so damn enjoyable. Russ is up there in age, and is frail, as is Sam and God knows, KC is somewhere. We don’t hear about him, last time they got together, they said he was not well

SAD SAD DAY FOR ME. I LOVED TOMMY
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:18 pm

I never met Tommy, and I only saw him in person when I went to Celtics games as a kid, but I heard about him all my life and have always loved him. He and Cooz are why I became a Celtics fan. I was born in Worcester in 1947, when Cooz was starring for Holy Cross. Then Heinsohn followed him at the Cross, and he was a BIG DEAL. When Tommy became a Celtic, he became an even bigger deal in Worcester. All of us boys knew about him and Cooz. Tommy lived on May Street, and I went to May Street School, a little ways away. My home was on Flagg Street, a mile from Tommy's home and 1/8th of a  mile from Cousy's. Once in a while Tommy and Cooz would go down to Newton Square Park at the corner of June Street and Pleasant Street, half of a mile from Tommy's home, and play a little ball with the guys who were ever present at the outdoor courts there. This was a huge event, to have a Cousy/Heinsohn sighting at the Newton Square courts.

Tommy's next door neighbors on May street when he played for the Celtics, before moving to Needham, were the Montouris's, a  Greek immigrant family who ran a grocery store and had three daughters.  They knew nothing about basketball and had three daughters. My mom was Godmother to their youngest, Joanne, and we would go over there often to drop off holiday gifts or food or to socialize. Tommy's home and the Montouris home were set up on a hill with maybe thirty concrete steps leading up to each of them. Tommy's steps were a mountain I never climbed, because imposing on a superstar's privacy just was not done back then. However, the Montouris's thought the Heinsohn's were fine people, but it baffled them that anyone could get paid for playing basketball, whatever that was.

From reading about Bob Cousy's life, [another Celtic I never met in person even though my sister went to Notre Dame Academy with Cooz's daughter Patty for four years (I almost asked her out 17 years ago when I met her in Florida at my sister's 50th birthday party - woulda, coulda, shoulda) and my Dad met and worked with Cooz regularly as co-directors of Worcester's Home Federal Savings Bank] I learned that Tommy and Bob would drive home to Worcester after every Celtics game at the Garden, often dog tired, and would work to keep the driver  awake on the drive home.

I loved Tommy Heinsohn, and I love Bob Cousy. We are so lucky to be Celtics fans and part of their family. No one can replace Tommy and the many the gifts he gave us...

This brings to mind an old Chinese poem.

When I behold the sacred liao wo* my thoughts return
to those who begat me, raised me, and now are old.
I would repay the bounty they have given me,
but it is as the sky;
it can never be approached.

* liao wo ( a species of grass representing parenthood
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:57 am

So sad, it feels like I have lost a family member.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:48 am

Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach
A lot of people mention Tommy Heinsohn’s artwork but I’d never seen it before. This is one of his paintings. So good.
4:58 PM · Nov 10, 2020

Sad News-Heinsohn EmgQi_MW4AAIsn_?format=jpg&name=900x900

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:28 am

Wow! That is excellent artwork!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:27 pm

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:39 pm

They spent the entire night last night dedicated to Tommy. So many interviews with players and other people involved with the Celtics at one time or another Cowens, Max, Danny, Brad, PP, Doc, Mike. Replaying games, interviews, I could not shut it off. I feel like someone I knew well died. They really did it up right. So glad for him. Poor Mike, he really had a tough time
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:47 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/tommy-heinsohn-was-mr-celtic-player-coach-broadcaster

Tommy Heinsohn was Mr. Celtic

BY CHRIS FORSBERG
CELTICS INSIDER

There has been one common thread in all of the Boston Celtics’ success: Tommy Heinsohn.

A two-time Hall of Famer as a player, coach, and Hall of Fame broadcaster in the minds of Celtics fans, Heinsohn was part of all 17 championships and is as much a symbol of Celtics mystique as the banners and parquet floor. An eight-time champion as a player, a two-time champion as a coach, and a beloved broadcaster for his unabashed support of all things green team, Heinsohn was Mr. Celtic.

He passed away on Monday at the age of 86.

“Tommy is the true definition of what a Celtic is,” said former Boston coach Doc Rivers.

Echoed former Celtics center Kendrick Perkins: “He’s that DNA. When you think about Celtics pride and what it means to be a Celtic, you think of Larry Bird, Red Auerbach, but then the next thing comes to my mind is Tommy Heinsohn.”

Plucked out of Holy Cross as a territorial pick in 1956, Heinsohn earned six All-Star nods in nine seasons before a foot injury ended his playing days at age 30. Heinsohn recorded 427 wins as Celtics coach — the second highest total in team history behind only Auerbach -- while guiding Boston from 1969-1978. For the past four decades, Heinsohn was a ref-scolding color commentator who never hid his allegiances in his role for NBC Sports Boston.

Yes, Heinsohn truly bled green.

“When people think of me, they don't think of me as an artist, they don't think of me as an insurance guy … I'm a Celtic,” said Heinsohn. “Everybody in the league believes I'm a Celtic.”

Sad News-Heinsohn Heinsohn_Tommy_HolyCross
Heinsohn averaged 22.1 points per game at Holy Cross, and remains the school's all-time leading rebounder, 64 years later.

THE EARLY YEARS

Thomas William Heinsohn was born August 26, 1934 in Jersey City, New Jersey. He caught the basketball bug at age 10 after his family moved to Union City and Heinsohn befriended Perry Del Purgatorio, a local high school standout a few years his elder who would play college ball at Villanova.

Heinsohn starred at St. Michael’s High School, but it was his success in a local semi-pro league, where he sometimes played under an assumed name against NBA and college talent, that caught the eye of recruiters.

"My sophomore year in high school, I ended up being the MVP of one of the [semi-pro] tournaments. I got a lot of offers. By senior year, I had over 300 offers, I could have gone anywhere,” said Heinsohn. "I made the high school All-America team. I wanted to go to a Jesuit school … I looked at Fordham, Georgetown, and Holy Cross. Holy Cross was away, and I wanted to go away and it had the best basketball program. So the two factors combined, that is how I chose Holy Cross.”

The Crusaders won the NIT championship in 1954 with Heinsohn and Togo Palazzi at the helm. In three seasons at Holy Cross, Heinsohn averaged 22.1 points per game and, despite his solid passing skills, earned a nickname for his propensity to shoot when the ball came his way.

“We called him 'Tommy Gun’ because we knew that once Tommy got the ball, Tommy had the ball,” said Sam Jones, who was drafted one year after Heinsohn. "We knew that when he got the ball, he was going to shoot it. One of the amazing things that I remember was going up for a layup, there's no one around me for 10 feet but Tommy, and he was calling for the ball."

Sad News-Heinsohn Heinsohn_Tommy_inline_GettyImages_514886392
Getty Images
As a rookie, Heinsohn scored 37 points and added 23 rebounds in Game 7 of the NBA Finals against the St. Louis Hawks, clinching the Celtics' first championship.

A BUMPY START IN BOSTON

It’s hard to imagine now but there was a time when Heinsohn wondered if he’d ever don Celtics green. Even after the Celtics drafted him, taking advantage of Holy Cross’ 50-mile proximity to Boston, Heinsohn was already pondering other basketball options.

"Red Auerbach didn’t appear to be an enamored with what I could bring to a team and he said so in the newspapers a couple times,” said Heinsohn. "He was renowned for knocking Holy Cross guys, because he didn’t like [Bob] Cousy either. He said 'I don't want to have to live with the local yokel.’”

On the advice of a fellow Holy Cross graduate, Heinsohn traveled to Illinois and nearly took a job with the Peoria Caterpillars, a top amateur team.

"I went to Peoria and I was tuned in to forget about the Celtics,” said Heinsohn. "I didn't like Peoria. I couldn't see myself living out there for the rest of my life. I came back and, as soon as I was back, Cousy had me on the phone, and he said, ‘Don't do anything until you talk to Red.’ I said, ‘He doesn't want to talk to me,’ and  [Cousy] said, ‘Don't believe what you read in the newspaper, I'm gonna talk to him.’ Cousy drove me in [to Boston]. That's the first time I ever met Cousy. And Red Auerbach said, ‘We want you. Don't believe all this stuff in the newspaper. We're gonna take you as the territorial pic and we're making moves to get [Bill] Russell.’"

True to his word, Auerbach secured the No. 2 pick in the 1956 draft and landed Russell. But Boston’s new big man missed the early part of his rookie season while participating in the Olympics and that helped Heinsohn establish himself.

"I ended up being Rookie of the Year but Russell really revolutionized the game,” said Heinsohn. "It was quite obvious that he was going to be a terrific player. … Russell, when I got the envelope and the check fell out, he got dressed in the locker room next to me and he said, ‘What’s that for?’ I said, ‘They gave me the Rookie of the Year award.’ So he said to me, ‘You should give me half of that. If I had been here since the beginning of the year, you never would have got it.’”

Heinsohn averaged 22.9 points per game in the postseason as a rookie as Boston won its first title. They’d win seven consecutive titles from 1959-1965 with Heinsohn a key ingredient in Boston’s success.

"As I got to know Tommy, he was the life of the party. When we lost a game, he would always cheer us up,” said Jones. "He was Red Auerbach's beating boy. When I say beating boy, no matter what you're doing — whether it's right or wrong — he would always get on Tommy Heinsohn. Later on, I thought that that might be a way of motivating Tommy to play his best. Tommy was very, very good. … I don't know if he knew, he was one of the best shooters in the game. Defensively, I don't know if he knew what that was all about. But he always came to play, he always came to win. Any time there was a big game, you could always count on Tommy Heinsohn to be there.”

Sad News-Heinsohn Heinsohn_Tommy_inline_GettyImages_85464984
Getty Images
Taking over as Celtics head coach at age 35, Heinsohn doubled the Celtics' win total from 34 to 68 in four years, winning Coach of the Year in 1973 and NBA titles in 1974 and 1976.

FROM THE BOOTH TO THE BENCH

After his playing days, Heinsohn focused on his successful life insurance business but also did a radio show to stay involved with basketball. Eventually Auerbach approached him about being part of the Celtics’ new television broadcasts — ironically, with Heinsohn settling in as the straight-down-the-middle analyst while Auerbach played the homer role.

When Russell stepped down as coach, Heinsohn asked Auerbach about taking the job and embraced the challenge of getting Boston back to title contention.

"We had to win without Russell, and don’t forget that Sam Jones also retired that year.  So you had the best defensive, and one of the greatest offensive players for the Celtics leave in one fell swoop,” said Heinsohn. "We had to re-energize the team, come up with a way of doing it.  I believed in Red's philosophy of playing up-tempo basketball. The way I describe it, if you play up-tempo, you destroy the will of the other team to win.”

That up-tempo style became a signature of Heinsohn’s teams. With John Havlicek and Dave Cowens leading the way, the Celtics won titles in 1974 and 1976. Heinsohn was the Coach of the Year in 1973.

Even after hanging up his whistle in 1978, Heinsohn never stopped coaching. He routinely offered advice to players — trying to convince any big man that would listen to try a hook shot — and often became a sounding board for the coaches that followed him.

"Tommy was the absolute best,” said Rivers. "Tommy was great, obviously, when we were winning, but, for me, Tommy was the best when we were losing -- those two or three years. He would see me sometimes and just come over and sit with me on the plane. He got it. He just kept telling me over and over, 'You're a really good coach. You're really good. You just need to hang in there.' ... I don't know how many times he told me that.”

Near the end of a 25-win campaign in Celtics coach Brad Stevens’ first year at the helm, Heinsohn — famous for his years as a Miller Lite pitchman — offered Stevens some advice on how to handle the defeats.

"Tommy says, 'I have a great idea for you: When you get home, open up that computer, then close that computer, and go have a beer,'” said Stevens. "That was some of the best advice I got.”

Sad News-Heinsohn Heinsohn_Tommy_NBCSB
Heinsohn called his first Celtics game on radio in 1966 and has teamed with Mike Gorman on television broadcasts since 1981.

REFS, TOMMY POINTS, LOVING WALTAH!

For the better part of the past four decades, Heinsohn and play-by-play man Mike Gorman perfected the art of a game broadcast (which is appropriate because Heinsohn was a fantastic artist who enjoyed painting in his downtime). Operating with heavy doses of chemistry and whimsy, they became must-see TV even when the product on the court was anything but.

Forever in search of ways to engage viewers, Heinsohn dreamed up the "Tommy Point," a verbal reward given to any player that went above and beyond their role in a particular game. Soon fans were flocking to games with signs requesting their own Tommy Points. The spirit of the Tommy Point lives on with the postgame Tommy Award, which has now been handed out over 1,500 times since the early 2000s.

“Now there’s this whole generation of like 12-year-olds who don’t know [Heinsohn] but just likes this guy,” said Gorman. "He gives out Tommy Points... I want a Tommy Point!”

Heinsohn developed an affinity for hyperbolical comparisons of Celtics players. Undrafted center Greg Stiemsma got compared to Russell after blocking a shot in 2012. Two years later, Heinsohn called MarShon Brooks the right-handed James Harden.

No one got quite as much genuine affection, however, as Walter McCarty, whose solid play helped put, “I love Waltah!” into the Boston lexicon. Much to the chagrin of Cousy whenever he joined broadcasts.

"Cousy did not like Walter McCarty, he wasn’t enamored with Walter. Cousy is a purist about the game. I enjoy watching Walter's real enthusiasm, and energy that he brought to the game,” said Heinsohn. "I would come out with, ‘Boy, I love Walter!' Cousy would look at me like I was crazy. Finally, Walter hits a 3 up in Toronto at the buzzer, Cousy says to me, 'I think I'm getting to love Walter.’ I said, ‘You cannot love him, you have to pay to join the Walter McCarty fan club, write me a check and you're in.’

"All of a sudden, [the station is] getting emails to join the Walter McCarty fan club. I get on the air and say, ‘Only Cousy has to write the check. Everybody else, If you like Walter, at the end of each game, throw open your windows and yell at the top of your lungs, I LOVE WALTAH!' All of a sudden, we're getting emails back from mothers saying, ‘Stop telling my son to open the windows and scream, 'I love Walter!’ We had to stop, but that's the fun of it.”

One group that didn’t receive nearly as much affection: Referees, who became a frequent target of Heinsohn’s frustrations.

“There are three teams out there that make a basketball game: There's the two teams who are playing and there's a team of officials,” said Heinsohn. "They all have an impact on the game. The best thing you can say about an official is to say nothing. … When guys are doing a great job, you don't hear me say anything. When I think somebody is really not doing the job, I kinda mention it in some way shape or form. Particularly, for instance, when one team is shooting 35 free throws and the other team shoots 10. That should not happen in an NBA game. I don't care what goes on, that's too big of a disparity. That's what I bring up.”

Former NBA referee Danny Crawford heard plenty of Heinsohn’s barbs and had to tune them out.

“We looked at a lot of video after games so whenever we’d work a Boston game, we’d always turn the volume down,” Crawford said before playfully adding, "That guy was the worst. Talk about a homer.”

Yes, but he was OUR homer. And Heinsohn, having learned under the tutelage of radio voice Johnny Most, knew exactly how to pander to his audience. Heinsohn worked as a national broadcaster during the '80s and, despite his attempts to be impartial, would constantly be told he was favoring Boston.

Such is the case when you are undeniably Mr. Celtic.  

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:49 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/paul-pierce-details-pregame-ritual-133626712.html

Paul Pierce details pregame ritual with Celtics legend Tommy Heinsohn

Darren Hartwell
Wed, November 11, 2020, 5:36 AM PST·2 min read

If you've watched Boston Celtics games closely over the years, you may have noticed a familiar occurrence: Paul Pierce sidling up to broadcasters Tommy Heinsohn and Mike Gorman for a chat before tip-off.

So, what did those conversations entail? After hearing of Heinsohn's passing at age 86, Pierce joined NBC Sports Boston's Kyle Draper and Brian Scalabrine to share some insight into his chats with the iconic Celtics player-turned-coach-turned-broadcaster.

"I would go up to him and Mike (and say), 'Hey, who are the referees tonight? What do you think of them?' We shared that moment every night," Pierce said.

Heinsohn also gave Pierce feedback about his game, channeling his inner coach to give the Celtics star some straightforward advice.

"He always kept it honest with you, and that's the one thing I really respect," Pierce said. "He wouldn't be in your face telling you how great you are. He would let you know what you need to be doing better, what you can do to improve. That's just who he was."

Pierce was a 10-time All-Star and one of the greatest Celtics ever, but Heinsohn always had advice for how he could improve -- and harped on one aspect in particular.

" .. One thing he constantly said: 'Paul, the midrange is open. You've got to get back to that,' " Pierce recalled. "He always reminded me of that."

Heinsohn spoke from experience: The midrange shot was a key part of his own game during his nine seasons with the Celtics, during which he averaged 18.6 points per game, made six All-Star teams and helped Boston win eight championships.

Heinsohn acquired a vast amount of knowledge over six decades as a player, coach and broadcaster, and he made a point to pass that knowledge down to players like Pierce.

"He always had words for you," Pierce said. "You just love that. Guys wanted that. They wanted to hear what former greats had to say, guys who watched you and critiqued you every single night, because he knew things about your game that you probably didn't realize because he's watching you. He's a true student of the game."

Check out Pierce's full remembrance of Heinsohn -- including his unique relationship with the "Tommy Award" -- in the video below.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next