RosalieTCeltics
NYCelt
Ktron
kdp59
dboss
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tristan Thompson signs with the Celtics - Page 2 Empty Re: Tristan Thompson signs with the Celtics

Post by dbrown4 Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:43 am

dboss,

You cracked me up with the guillotine comment! I like TT and JT. At least we are left holding the proverbial flaming bag o' pooh!

Does any of this affect the GH sign and trade and what we will get from that or is that still something we are waiting on with Charlotte and/or 3-team trade?

Head still spinning,

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Tristan Thompson signs with the Celtics - Page 2 Empty Re: Tristan Thompson signs with the Celtics

Post by NYCelt Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:26 am

Vankisa wrote:Thompson is not a bad pickup. I thought he might be too expensive at that price tag though. My fear is he is out of shape and not fast enough for when we go smaller, but I am watching some games from March now and he seems solid.

Would give us someone that can almost legitimately guard Embiid 1v1 as well. Has no shot whatsoever, but that I find as a no issue. It is time for Brad to get some new plays in the playbook with a more traditional center, he has enough wings for which to draw plays anyway.

Good points.

Considering it was Millsap they went after, and took their shot at Thompson only after Millsap resigned with Denver, they look like they got a serviceable big at a reasonable price.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:31 am

https://nesn.com/2020/11/new-celtic-tristan-thompson-sure-seems-fired-up-about-signing-with-boston/

New Celtic Tristan Thompson Sure Seems Fired Up About Signing With Boston

The veteran center reportedly inked a two-year deal with Boston

by Dakota Randall

2 hours ago

As seemingly every NBA player with contractual freedom looks for ways to avoid the Boston Celtics, Tristan Thompson is going in the other direction.

The 29-year-old big man reportedly signed a two-year contract with the Celtics on Saturday, ending a nine-year run with the Cleveland Cavaliers. And, judging by his Instagram activity, Thompson is as excited about the move as the Celtics fans who took to social media after news of the contract broke.

Take a look at this tweet from Forbes’ Chris Grenham:

Chris Grenham
@chrisgrenham
Tristan Thompson with lots of shamrocks on his IG story right now. It also seems like he’s a big fan of the Celtics statement jerseys.
Tristan Thompson signs with the Celtics - Page 2 EnZ07PjXYAc85ZT?format=jpg
Tristan Thompson signs with the Celtics - Page 2 EnZ07PjXYAgOyDj?format=jpg
Tristan Thompson signs with the Celtics - Page 2 EnZ07PkXYAAYcGI?format=jpg
Tristan Thompson signs with the Celtics - Page 2 EnZ07PjW4AAZoa1?format=jpg

Say what you want about Danny Ainge’s offseason thus far, but Thompson is a great pickup for the Celtics. Note since Al Jefferson has Boston had player who ranks among the NBA’s elite rebounders.

Thompson, 29, is coming off a season in which he averaged 12.0 points, 10 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:54 am

dbrown4 wrote:dboss,

You cracked me up with the guillotine comment!  I like TT and JT.  At least we are left holding the proverbial flaming bag o' pooh!  

Does any of this affect the GH sign and trade and what we will get from that or is that still something we are waiting on with Charlotte and/or 3-team trade?  

Head still spinning,

db

db

It is crazy that in the space 24 hours give or take, we go from gloom and doom to happy days are here again. There seemed to be so much riding on the GH saga but Ainge did in fact have a viable option and he executed it within a blink of an eye. The deals for TT and JT were ready and waiting.

I just do not know how Boston can get involved in the GH situation at this point. That train has left the station. Charlotte will have to renounce more CAP holds to free up the space needed. You would think that they would have already done that
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:13 pm

Bob, TT is still a young center.

He has been a thorn in the side of the Celtics for years.  We could never keep him off the glass.  He is one reason why Atlanta did not resign AH after the Hawks run a few years back.  

I did not think we would be able to sign him.  

I believe he will be a solid player for Boston and we will be a better rebounding team.  He brings an experienced physical presence to our front line.  Jeff Teague brings an experienced presence to our backcourt.  

Overall the Celtics have upgraded their center, added PG depth and 2 new shooters.  I guarantee you that Nesmith will not miss wide open 3's like Langford and that Pritchard can run an offense and keep the defense honest.  

We are 1 month away from the first jump ball to trigger the new season.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:27 pm

I like TT and Serge Ibaka (who I think is better ) signed with the Clippers for same -2 yrs 19mil. Doesn’t mean we had a chance to get him but would’ve liked to have him. We’re still good.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:41 pm

Ktron wrote:I like TT and Serge Ibaka (who I think is better ) signed with the Clippers for same -2 yrs 19mil. Doesn’t mean we had a chance to get him but would’ve liked to have him. We’re still good.

Danny never seemed to have interest in Serge. He is the better offensive player but Thompson is better on the glass. From that perspective he fills a need that we have needed to address since AH was signed by the Celtics.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:01 pm

NYCelt wrote:
Vankisa wrote:Thompson is not a bad pickup. I thought he might be too expensive at that price tag though. My fear is he is out of shape and not fast enough for when we go smaller, but I am watching some games from March now and he seems solid.

Would give us someone that can almost legitimately guard Embiid 1v1 as well. Has no shot whatsoever, but that I find as a no issue. It is time for Brad to get some new plays in the playbook with a more traditional center, he has enough wings for which to draw plays anyway.

Good points.

Considering it was Millsap they went after, and took their shot at Thompson only after Millsap resigned with Denver, they look like they got a serviceable big at a reasonable price.

Oh, did not know about Millsap. I would take Thompson over him in any case. I think our defense would benefit more from Thompson's presence and I am not that worried about the offensive side.

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:35 pm

dboss wrote:Bob, TT is still a young center.

He has been a thorn in the side of the Celtics for years.  We could never keep him off the glass.  He is one reason why Atlanta did not resign AH after the Hawks run a few years back.  

I did not think we would be able to sign him.  

I believe he will be a solid player for Boston and we will be a better rebounding team.  He brings an experienced physical presence to our front line.  Jeff Teague brings an experienced presence to our backcourt.  

Overall the Celtics have upgraded their center, added PG depth and 2 new shooters.  I guarantee you that Nesmith will not miss wide open 3's like Langford and that Pritchard can run an offense and keep the defense honest.  

We are 1 month away from the first jump ball to trigger the new season.

Agreed I like this team better than last years roster, I know there were great games where the 3 wing line up played great, but we always got killed on the boards against teams with good bigs and after a while that catches up on you. The 2 rookies may have flaws, but what rookies don’t. If they are good at their strengths and with a jump from the Williams bros and Romeo and even Waters we may have a really good deep team that can attack in waves.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:38 pm

I’m gonna assume Danny had 2 rooks in training camp to get a good look at them....before the draft.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:04 pm

Kendrick Perkins
@KendrickPerkins
The Celtics Finally got the missing piece to the puzzle. Tristian Thompson is exactly what they needed!!! Check Ball Got Damn it. Carry on...
5:26 PM · Nov 21, 2020

Bob
MY NOTE:  I compared TT to Enes Kanter, whose spot on the roster he replaced.  I should have said he's more like Perk without the stone hands.

Put this here to put a smile on Cowens' face.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:44 am

I don’t think his defense is near Perks, don’t kid yourself, Perk could handle any 5 in his era one on one defensively. Great post defender in an era right before the pnr and 3 point shot changed the game. TT is definitely a better rebounder and a very good old school defender that bodies and competes defensively at a high level without being a great shot blocker. A double digit rebounder is what this team has craved since Perk/KG.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2