Baseball question?

3 posters

Go down

Baseball question? Empty Baseball question?

Post by beat Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:16 pm

After talking to my son yesterday about the liner to his head, I asked him if he "lost" the ball off the bat. He stated the background behind the backstop there was a very light blue construction trailer and that he did indeed have a problem. I went out there this AM stood on that mound. I can certainly see the problem.

Hitters all over have a backdrop to help them see the ball as it approaches the plate. For the life of me I can't help but wonder why the same precaution is not given to a player that is less then 60 feet from a ball that may be approaching him a lot faster than he threw it. Why not cover the lower 8-10 feet of backstop directly behind home plate with a black tarp of some sort. I am in the process of contacting the NYS Public high school athletic Assc. And a guy I know in the NYS sports writers association. Any other ideas from you guys would be great. just a simple 10' by 10' tarp could save a serious injury to a kid.

Suggestions on where to gowith this would be great.

beat

Last edited by beat on Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Baseball question? Empty Re: Baseball question?

Post by Sam Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:27 pm

Beat,

If you want to start at the top and hope for a trickle-down effect, I'd call the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. I don't believe they'd be the ones to solve the problem, but I bet they could point you in the right direction. I'd ask for the research department, which is quite good.

I'd also contact Jackie Macmullan I believe that, among all the renowned sports columnists, she'd be most receptive to a human interest story like this one.

Getting to her is the main problem. Her email address at the Boston Globe was macmullan@globe.com, but I imagine that may be defunct since she left the Globe unless they maintain it as a courtesy. You might try macmullan@ESPN.com on the off-chance that she maintained the same email format with her new employer. Or perhaps you could call ESPN and get it.

If you want to start more at the amateur level, I'd contact Little League Headquarters: 539 U.S. Route 15 Hwy; P.O. Box 3485; Williamsport, PA 17701. Tel. 570-326-1921

Among many other things, they have a Child Protection Program, which is focused mainly on sex offenses but does indicate concern for players' safety. Again, even if they can't help you directly, I bet they could point you in the right direction.

Good luck,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:45 pm

Furthermore, the pitcher is off-balance due to his follow-through and not wearing a hard helmet.

You also might want to try the NYS Public High School Athletic Association.
Here's the link to the contact page of their Head Injury/Concussion Management Team.

http://www.keepyourheadinthegame.org/contact.html

bob

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Kids went to Water Safari today. So i never saw them till this eve,

Wish Marcus would let me take another photo, for he now has 2 black eyes to go with the red spot!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:47 pm

Kids went to Water Safari today. So i never saw them till this eve,

Wish Marcus would let me take another photo, for he now has 2 black eyes to go with the red spot!
Thanks for the ideas!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down