Point guards

3 posters

Go down

Point guards Empty Point guards

Post by atcross Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:19 pm

I don't usually post things that suggest I know what I'm talking about compared to the coaches. But I saw this and tend to agree.

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2020/12/28/boston-celtics-jeff-teague-starting/

Much as I love Marcus and all of the qualities he brings, I don't feel like he's a point guard. And with this team I feel like we need a true point guard on the floor at all times. Start Teague and sub him with Pritchard. Bring Marcus off the bench as sixth man. Thoughts?

atcross

Back to top Go down

Point guards Empty Re: Point guards

Post by NYCelt Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:32 pm

I kind of just skimmed the article; only have a short time right now.

I always acknowledge I have no knowledge that a given coach does, so I'm making calls without the needed intelligence. Then I go on like I'm about to...

On the day we drafted Smart, a college point guard, I first jumped for joy (literally) then posted here that I felt we got ourselves a future All-Star...2-Guard. I've grown more convinced Smart is best used as a wing defending multiple positions and not as the primary ballhandler. It's not for lack of talent because Smart is an excellent point. I just believe that Teague is well suited, able and available. To me he's a big upgrade to the PG position off the bench and a valuable relief pitcher with Kemba out. I wouldn't bring Smart off the bench, however.

I like the experiment with two bigs, but I think the lineup is stronger if it's Tatum, Thompson, Brown, Smart and Teague starting. I think we give away some size, but pick up playmaking and scoring. The rotation from their could include Smart as the primary ballhandler with the second unit, or try someone like Pritchard, Edwards or Waters and see what happens.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:38 pm

Through 3 games Marcus is averaging 6.3 assists per game and only 1.7 turnovers. Marcus is not a pure point guard in terms of ball handling skills and he is far from an elite passer. But he gets the job done most nights.

Brad's offense needs ball handlers but not necessarily a PG to do that job.

I would like to see Teague start at the PG so that Marcus can concentrate his energies on defense and spot up shooting instead of also having he responsibility to run the offense.

The DT/TT experiment is new but knowing how each of those guys play on offense I just do not think the offense functions well enough. Teague, Smart, Jayson and Jaylen gives you more quickness, ball handling skills and more offense. I would probably start TT in the first group and bring Theis off the bench as his experience in Brad system may elevate the play of our rotation lineups.

Down the road however I think the rookie Nesmith may factor in as the 3rd wing in Brad's preferred offense.

In either case (Teague or Nesmith in) the reliance on scoring from 2 low post guys lacks diversity.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:12 pm

I think PP made a pretty good case for having a true PG on the floor last night.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down