Shamrock1000
dboss
jrleftfoot
worcester
atcross
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Next up: point guards? Empty Next up: point guards?

Post by atcross Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:00 pm

Let's assume that of our bevy of bigs we have three keepers (RWIII, AH, and maybe MB?). And let's assume that the Js are untouchable, but pretty much everyone else is fair game for a trade. And let's assume that PP is not quite ready to be starting PG on a contender. Is there a good, not too old, true point guard (and possibly floor general) out there that we could REALISTICALLY acquire?

atcross

Back to top Go down

Next up: point guards? Empty Re: Next up: point guards?

Post by worcester Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:12 pm

Yes, but I don't know who. For sure, Chris Paul is not walking through that door, but I hope Chauncey Billups does as a coach.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:59 pm

I'm perfectly willing to let Smart and Pritchard handle the position. I have a hunch Yam Mader may be our point guatd of the future. He is a pass first guard who can shoot, and reports say he is a brilliant passer who can and does defend. Somebody scoffed, in a prior thread, that he was too light. Twenty-one year olds are still growing into their bodies. He's already been in the playoffs, albeit not at the NBA level, and performed well under pressure. Well, I can dream.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:25 pm

jr - Count me in as a fan of Yam Mader. I see toughness and skill in his game.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:44 pm

atcross wrote:Let's assume that of our bevy of bigs we have three keepers (RWIII, AH, and maybe MB?). And let's assume that the Js are untouchable, but pretty much everyone else is fair game for a trade. And let's assume that PP is not quite ready to be starting PG on a contender. Is there a good, not too old, true point guard (and possibly floor general) out there that we could REALISTICALLY acquire?

If we would like a BU guy or one that can give us extended minutes what about Reggie Jackson?

coming off of a $2,331,593 contract and he is an UFA. The Clips are #4 in top payrolls so we could poach him on the cheap.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:55 pm

Another name , Tyrus Jones we could trade TT for him.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:57 pm

Ish Smith coming off $6 mill per which was his highest salary ever.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:01 pm

TJ McConnell coming off a $3.5 mill per contract and averaged 6.6 assists per game, no 3 point shot but does not take many.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:46 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:I'm perfectly willing to let Smart and Pritchard handle the position. I have a hunch Yam Mader may be our point guatd of the future. He is a pass first guard who can shoot, and reports say he is a brilliant passer who can and does defend. Somebody scoffed, in a prior thread, that he was too light. Twenty-one year olds are still growing into their bodies. He's already been in the playoffs, albeit not at the NBA level, and performed well under pressure. Well, I can dream.

I have a similar hunch. If we don't trade for an established pg, would love to see this kid come over this summer.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:52 pm

I think he can play in Summer League
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:09 pm

Good thinking dboss, you old horse thief
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:28 pm

dboss wrote:TJ McConnell coming off a $3.5 mill per contract and averaged 6.6 assists per game, no 3 point shot but does not take many.

He has a very good assist to TO ratio. But not having a 3 is a concern. The assumed liability would be that defenders can back off, hampering his ability to penetrate the defense. But he get the assists anyway. Something to think about. But I suspect we can do better than 3.5M for a starting PG.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:49 pm

dboss wrote:
atcross wrote:Let's assume that of our bevy of bigs we have three keepers (RWIII, AH, and maybe MB?). And let's assume that the Js are untouchable, but pretty much everyone else is fair game for a trade. And let's assume that PP is not quite ready to be starting PG on a contender. Is there a good, not too old, true point guard (and possibly floor general) out there that we could REALISTICALLY acquire?

If we would like a BU guy or one that can give us extended minutes what about Reggie Jackson?

coming off of a $2,331,593 contract and he is an UFA.  The Clips are #4 in top payrolls so we could poach him on the cheap.  

He’s only getting slightly over 2 million? What the……? He is looking good right about now.

Yes. Ish is another guy that makes a lot of sense. I think he fits for what we need.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:27 pm

Boston has a few options of PG choices assuming they will be adding another PG.  

If they go out and get a high quality guy and resign EF that puts them right back in the mix as a top team.

If they just do a tweak it will not resolve their long term needs.

There are several guys out there that they could easily get without even making a trade but I do believe that moving TT now just makes perfect sense.

Another guy to keep an eye on is Cameron Payne.  He is a FA and is making minimum $$$.  The Suns have to decide on resigning Chris Paul who just opted out,  Booker has a max deal and Ayton is going to want and get big money.  The Celtics could go after Payne and convince the Suns to do a sign and trade and we send them TT.  Or maybe we peel off a piece of the MLE and sign him outright.

You see there are tons of PG options out there.  The Celtics just have to figure out how to part with the dead weight
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:31 pm

Cam Payne is awesome. Awesome.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:36 pm

dboss wrote:Boston has a few options of PG choices assuming they will be adding another PG.  

If they go out and get a high quality guy and resign EF that puts them right back in the mix as a top team.

If they just do a tweak it will not resolve their long term needs.

There are several guys out there that they could easily get without even making a trade but I do believe that moving TT now just makes perfect sense.

Another guy to keep an eye on is Cameron Payne.  He is a FA and is making minimum $$$.  The Suns have to decide on resigning Chris Paul who just opted out,  Booker has a max deal and Ayton is going to want and get big money.  The Celtics could go after Payne and convince the Suns to do a sign and trade and we send them TT.  Or maybe we peel off a piece of the MLE and sign him outright.

You see there are tons of PG options out there.  The Celtics just have to figure out how to part with the dead weight

Great call!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:59 pm

What about the guy stashed over seas? All I read was that he wanted out of his contract, is he any good. He had good numbers overseas, I just wonder, why get a guy and stash him if you are not going to try to work him out here
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:17 pm

Yam Madar. Tough. Skilled. 6"3", 180#. Growing.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:22 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:What about the guy stashed over seas? All I read was that he wanted out of his contract, is he any good. He had good numbers overseas, I just wonder, why get a guy and stash him if you are not going to try to work him out here
Rosalie I think he is around 18.  He may play in Summer League.  He is not ready to start.  We will need proven veteran level depth at point.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:37 pm

Yam turns 21 in December. He will be 190# when he is 22.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:52 pm

So the bBucks are about to lose gane one. Well Adam Silver will be jumping out the window if it is a Phoenix/Atlanta final. Small market teams. I woul love it, young has been a super star tonight
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:04 pm

Young is so clutch.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:22 pm

The Celtics are in the midst of a transition but not a rebuild.

They are transitioning away from a team where a PG is needed to be a primary scorer.

If that is true, I do not think we will be in the market for a high priced scoring PG.  That gives the Celtics a lot of inexpensive options to add some quality depth at the point.

The Celtics will be looking for a guy who will get Jayson and Jaylen the ball and can keep the defense honest.  They will also need a guy who can be effective running PNR with our 2 ultra athletic centers and our pick and Pop bigman in AH.

This transition away from PG scorers like IT, KI and KW means that Boston will likely be in a better position to retain Evan Fournier since they will not need to dole out a lot of money for a PG.   The money however for Evan needs to make sense.  A 2 year deal in the $24 million range may be doable because  the Celtics will not have to  overpay him or lock him into a long term deal.  

Before anyone out there thinks that salary range is too low keep in mind that a team would have to have the CAP space to offer more than the full MLE.  From what I can see, not a lot of teams have the CAP space to sign Evan as a FA above the MLE.  Evan is ranked around #25 on the FA list.  He is ranked #5 among SG.

Evan is an UFA.  I think Boston will give him an offer and then let him and his agent go out and try to find a better deal if they do not like the offer.  If he finds a better deal I wish him well.  Then Boston will turn to AN and say hey kid you are going to be playing a lot more.  AN is a better defender and rebounder than Evan and significantly faster and he shot 37% from deep in a season where he was just scratching the surface of his offensive potential.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:52 pm

+1 dboss
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:57 pm

The guys mentioned so far are all fine but I was thinking we could do better than someone else's BU PG. I think we have that in PP. And, as I've said before, for all of his positive qualities, Marcus is not a starting PG. I was thinking more of a Ricky Rubio caliber player. We have a BU PG in PP. We don't need another. As DBoss said, if we want to be in the hunt we need a high caliber guy.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next