Point Guards - An Era 0f dominance?

+3
jeb
carpecarpium1
dboss
7 posters

Go down

Point Guards - An Era 0f dominance? Empty Point Guards - An Era 0f dominance?

Post by dboss Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:46 am

I do not recall a time when there were so many truly impressive Point Guards in the league at the same time. I think there are three groups in the mix.

The Old Guards

Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Tony Parker

The Young Veterans

Rajon Rondo
Chris Paul
Devon Williams

The Up and Coming

Derrick Rose
Russell Westbrook
John Wall (soon to be rookie of the year)

Other than John Walls' Washington Wizzards team, these PG's are having a significant impact on their respective teams.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Point Guards - An Era 0f dominance? Empty Re: Point Guards - An Era 0f dominance?

Post by carpecarpium1 Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:57 pm

I'd add Chauncy Billups to the old guard. But I know what you mean that there's a lot of talent at the position.

But as the current Lakers, the Jordan Bulls and the post-Archibald Bird era Celtics have shown you don't necessarily need a classic pg to win.

carpecarpium1

Back to top Go down

Point Guards - An Era 0f dominance? Empty Re: Point Guards - An Era 0f dominance?

Post by jeb Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:22 pm

Rajon is averaging 15 assistasis holy shitski.

I aint been able to see many games...workin. Just saw that stat. Wow.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:19 am

jeb wrote:
Rajon is averaging 15 assistasis holy shitski.

I aint been able to see many games...workin. Just saw that stat. Wow.

jebaroo,

The record for most assists/game for a season is held by John Stockton (14.5). The #2 spot is held by John Stockton (14.3). #3 is Isiah at 13.9 and Mr. Stockton owns #4-6.

That should put into perspective what 15.1 assists/game means. We're only 10 games in, so we don't know how it'll end up, but WOW!!

What I'm enjoying is HOW he's doing it. We know that Stockton got a lot of his assists feeding Malone. Rondo has upped his average by ADDING Shaq to his dish list, while still feeding Ray, KG etal and Shaq has been finishing at a higher % than his career average. Think of that. One of, if not THE, most physically punishing centers of all-time is shooting at a higher percentage now at age 38 than his career average. Some of that credit has to go to the man who is getting him the ball where he wants it and can do the most damage with it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:01 am

Rondo is not only leading the league in assists but his total assists are a full 1/3 more than the next player 151 to 101 for Deron Williams.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Assists.jsp?league=00&season=22010&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=1&splitDD=All Teams

There are only 4 players with an average of 10+ assists, and second to RR 15.1 is Jason Kidd with 10.5.

Who knows where it will end up but if this team can remain healthy and with the addition of another good shooter West, Rondo could certainly set new standards. (just wish he could shoot 75% from the stripe!)

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:44 am

Rondo is the most athletic point guard in the league, which is saying something, and he uses his athleticism, body control, and court vision extremely well to deliver the ball to his teammates. He's not the best all-around point guard, but I don't see anyone better at setting up his teammates, which of course leads to a great assists average. But it's early in the season; let's not chisel his name next to Stockton just yet.

What is a concern is that the Celtics have three players in the top 20 and two in the top five for minutes per game:

3 - Rondo
5 - Ray
16 - Pierce

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2011_leaders.html

I'm surprised to see this. I thought their depth would allow them to play these guys fewer minutes.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:52 am

Outside

That is downright scary. TOO many minutes for RA and PP, and a bit to much for RR too but Nate has looked better lately.

Our depth "may" have been a bit overrated, We are all hopefull that the ability for west to now play will cut all three of these perhaps by as much as 5 MPG.......we shall see.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:57 am

Regarding this being a golden age for point guards, I think there's two parts to that -- an exceptional group of point guards, and a decline in quality big men. With the decline of Shaq and Duncan, Dwight Howard is the best big man in the league, almost by default, but he is so limited offensively that he's not on a par with the historically great centers. There are a few other good big men out there -- Brook Lopez, Andrew Bogut, Chris Kaman at times, Joakim Noah -- but there's no depth of quality players like there is at point guard. Yao and Bynum would probably be among the best if they could overcome their injury problems.

I suppose these things run in cycles. For now, I'm enjoying the glut of good point guards.

And I'd definitely put Chauncey in the "old guard" group. I'd take him any day over Parker.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by carpecarpium1 Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:45 pm

Outside wrote:Rondo is the most athletic point guard in the league, which is saying something, and he uses his athleticism, body control, and court vision extremely well to deliver the ball to his teammates. He's not the best all-around point guard, but I don't see anyone better at setting up his teammates, which of course leads to a great assists average. But it's early in the season; let's not chisel his name next to Stockton just yet.

What is a concern is that the Celtics have three players in the top 20 and two in the top five for minutes per game:

3 - Rondo
5 - Ray
16 - Pierce

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2011_leaders.html

I'm surprised to see this. I thought their depth would allow them to play these guys fewer minutes.

Outside

I'd expect both Rondo's and Ray's minutes to go down after Delonte West gets worked into the rotation.

carpecarpium1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:15 pm

To no one in particular,

If Doc keeps insisting on having either Pierce or Ray play with the bench, either Nate's or Quis' minutes could be curtailed with West in there. I personally hope Doc will play five bench players together because they have the depth to do that. But we'll see.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down