Jaylen Brown says his relationship with Jayson Tatum is growing despite media sometimes trying to ‘pull us apart’

2 posters

Go down

Jaylen Brown says his relationship with Jayson Tatum is growing despite media sometimes trying to ‘pull us apart’ Empty Jaylen Brown says his relationship with Jayson Tatum is growing despite media sometimes trying to ‘pull us apart’

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:28 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/09/jaylen-brown-says-his-relationship-with-jayson-tatum-is-growing-despite-media-sometimes-trying-to-pull-us-apart.html

Jaylen Brown says his relationship with Jayson Tatum is growing despite media sometimes trying to ‘pull us apart’

Updated: Sep. 29, 2021, 4:30 p.m. | Published: Sep. 29, 2021, 4:30 p.m.

Jaylen Brown says his relationship with Jayson Tatum is growing despite media sometimes trying to ‘pull us apart’ J3OVMEUKIVEI3EXY7PYG56MXPY
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS - DECEMBER 23: Jayson Tatum #0 and Jaylen Brown #7 of the Boston Celtics celebrate after scoring against the Milwaukee Bucks during the second half at TD Garden on December 23, 2020 in Boston, Massachusetts. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and/or using this photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Brian Fluharty-Pool/Getty Images)Getty Images

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

BOSTON -- Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum are now the sole cornerstones of the Celtics franchise in the wake of former All-Star Kemba Walker being traded this offseason.

The All-Star duo had strong input in the team’s decision-making this offseason, particularly with the hiring of new head coach Ime Udoka. Just how well the duo can co-exist together on the floor remains a question in some media circles but Brown shot back at those doubters after Day 2 of Celtics training camp.

“I think the media likes to dichotomize things and put one thing against the other like it has to be a Batman and a Robin,” Brown said. “Or one guy and the other guy can’t be whatever. We’re just two guys that can hoop. In reality, we’re two guys that can hoop. But the media wants to kind of sometimes write the story that pulls us apart. But we talk a lot.

“We don’t let it bother us. We hear a lot of the things, comparisons, etc. But at the end of the day, I want the best for him, he wants the best for me.”

The pressure will be strong on the young pair this season coming off of a .500 season that saw strong individual performances but a lack of team cohesion at times. The partnership between the duo appears to be growing though, at least off the floor. They were seen together partying in Las Vegas this summer in the wake of Jayson Tatum’s gold medal victory.

“It’s definitely grown a lot,” Brown said of the relationship. “I think it’s centered around respect. I think there’s a respect there. Jayson respects my work ethic. I respect his. We both put a lot into this game. Regardless of what I do off the court or what people think I do off the court, I put my energy and my heart and soul into this game. So I think our relationship is built around respect. I respect Jayson. I think he’s one of the best players in this game regardless of 25-and-under or -over. And I think he can be one of the best players when it’s all said and done. I think the same about myself. So I think respect is what the relationship is centered around.”

The task of getting each All-Star to bring out the best version of themselves and their teammates on a nightly basis falls to new head coach Ime Udoka. As a former player who has worked with both players as members of Team USA, Udoka looks forward to instilling that purpose within this year’s group.

“Guys need to appreciate each other,” he said. “Sometimes you don’t appreciate what you have right next to you. That’s something I’ll stress to them, but I don’t think it’s a question of can or can not they play together. It’s been proven what they’ve done when they’re healthy and together on the court. With us, it’s a matter of trying to keep one of those two on the court the majority of the time.

A revamped roster with an improved supporting cast in the backcourt with veterans like Dennis Schroder and Josh Richardson should help to take some of the onus off the pair when they aren’t playing together. Udoka will be looking to maximize each player as much as possible as featured options when either is getting some rest.

“So we’re staggering their minutes, when one is in and one is out, they have more of a chance to be aggressive and take advantage of matchups and things of that nature,” Udoka said. “But overall, they are who they are, we know that and it’s just a matter of, like I said from day one, them growing as players and being more playmakers.

“It’s not just looking for yourself every time. We know how that works. It’s 27 and 25 points, everybody can’t do that, so we don’t want to take away from their strengths. but when one guy is off the court, you have more leverage to do what you do. so overall, we’re just trying to help them grow as players.”

In the wake of a challenging year, Brown is eager to show that the duo can carry the Celtics to greater heights this season and quiet the doubters that question whether they can thrive together on a team.

“I enjoy playing with Jayson. I really do,” Brown declared. “He’s a guy I trust out there to make plays and I know he trusts me out there as well. And sometimes that’s not always easy to find. We kind of started our careers together, we’ve won a lot of games here in Boston together at an early age, which is rare.

" It’s sometimes fascinating to me to see such an urgency to pit us against each other at times. But I could care less about what you read and see so it doesn’t really bother me none. I just try to come out and be a better version of myself. I want the best for my teammates and I want the best for myself as well.”

Bob
MY NOTE: This is an ultimate "feel good" story for me.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jaylen Brown says his relationship with Jayson Tatum is growing despite media sometimes trying to ‘pull us apart’ Empty Re: Jaylen Brown says his relationship with Jayson Tatum is growing despite media sometimes trying to ‘pull us apart’

Post by dboss Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:04 am

My perspective on  Jayson and Jaylen begins and ends with the remarkable talent that both of these players have.  Imagine two young players developing together at the same time.  It's a rare occurrence but one that I am thankful for.

I never had any question about them playing together.  The numbers speak for themselves.  The question for both of them is how they take that next step in their development to become better
playmakers.  Last season we started to see them improve their playmaking abilities and I fully expect a bigger jump this year.  

If you think that JT is untouchable I can argue that JB is also untouchable.  I have reached a point where I would not trade either one of them for anybody.  There is no Batman & Robin.

Jaylen has a chip on his shoulder and you could tell by the tone of his remarks.  Every single 'what if' trade for an allstar quality player always centers around him but never Jayson.  I think that bothers him although he claims he does not think about it.    Talent wise he is on equal footing with Jayson.  He clearly believes that and I do too.  I think these two guys push each other to get better.  Now both need a more determined focus to get their teammates more scoring opportunities.

The Celtics organization from top to bottom including the players on this team speak of them jointly.

We got the Jays.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down