Jerry Stackhouse on Celtics rookie Aaron Nesmith: 'Once he gets it, look out'

+4
gyso
cowens/oldschool
dboss
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Jerry Stackhouse on Celtics rookie Aaron Nesmith: 'Once he gets it, look out' Empty Jerry Stackhouse on Celtics rookie Aaron Nesmith: 'Once he gets it, look out'

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:41 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jerry-stackhouse-celtics-rookie-aaron-034806491.html

Jerry Stackhouse on Celtics rookie Aaron Nesmith: 'Once he gets it, look out'

Justin Leger
Fri, February 26, 2021, 7:48 PM

When Aaron Nesmith was selected with the 14th overall pick in the 2020 NBA Draft, many considered the sharpshooter to be the "perfect fit" for the Boston Celtics.

However, it took a while for Nesmith to find his bearings in the NBA. The 3-ball he was known for at Vanderbilt wasn't falling in the early part of the season and he sometimes looked lost on the defensive end.

But with more playing time, Nesmith has made some real strides The 21-year-old has shown his defensive upside over the last month and recently notched a career-high 13 points on 5-for-7 shooting vs. the Atlanta Hawks.

His former head coach at Vanderbilt, Jerry Stackhouse, expects that positive trend to continue.

"I think for Aaron it was just about kind of learning the system, understanding everything that was going on on both ends of the floor ... understanding how to play with other superstars," Stackhouse told NBC Sports Boston's Chris Forsberg. "You're not just playing with a couple of All-Stars, these are superstar level guys with [Jayson] Tatum and Jaylen Brown.

"I just think he's one of those sponges. He's probably put a ton of pressure on himself being a lottery pick and not playing a ton early on, so he wants to try to prove to everybody in Boston that they made the right decision, so you guys got that working for you as a Boston fan that this kid is going to continue to try to prove everybody that he belongs where he is, and I think that's going to allow him to flourish and become who he needs to be for them."

It's clear Nesmith is still learning the ropes, but Stackhouse believes big things are coming for the C's when the rookie gets into a groove.

"They got a steal, man," he said. "The character and what he's going to bring to them on the court, it's going to be special. Once he gets it, look out. He's going to do everything he can to stay there."

Between Nesmith and fellow rookie Payton Pritchard -- plus young superstars Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown, of course -- the future is looking bright for Boston. If Nesmith continues to see an uptick in minutes, expect him to be a key player for the Celtics' second unit down the stretch.

Bob
MY NOTE:  His game has definitely improved over the past few weeks, really one of the few players who didn't regress, and let's remember that so far he has only played a grand total of 281 NBA minutes.  By comparison his fellow rookie Payton Pritchard has played 572 minutes.  Even Jeff Teague, who has taken out a lease in Brad's dog house, has played 444 minutes this year.  I'm ready and willing to trade most of this roster for the right upgrades but let's not be too quick to throw out this baby with the bath water, he's coming along and didn't even have a summer league and only had limited opportunities in pre-season.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jerry Stackhouse on Celtics rookie Aaron Nesmith: 'Once he gets it, look out' Empty Re: Jerry Stackhouse on Celtics rookie Aaron Nesmith: 'Once he gets it, look out'

Post by dboss Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:50 pm

Nesmith has a lot of work to do and Romeo has even more work to do than Aaron.  But one of those guys may have to be moved to bring in an experienced veteran.  Grant Williams is not on anybody's wish list and our pair of midgets that were part of the 4 draft pick splurge are carnival characters with minimal trade value.

Romeo is suppose to return after the ASG.  Danny created this cluster F.  How the hell do you develop him and Nesmith?  

I am not happy with coach Stevens but I am even less thrilled with Danny Ainge.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Jerry Stackhouse on Celtics rookie Aaron Nesmith: 'Once he gets it, look out' Empty Re: Jerry Stackhouse on Celtics rookie Aaron Nesmith: 'Once he gets it, look out'

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:55 pm

If both can play that is a good problem to have and this is added depth at wing and with the state of 2 J’s right now, we need it.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:50 am

I would expect his former coach to heap praise on a former player. I hope it works out as he predicts.

Trial by fire isn't always the best method, but it surely will testy his mettle.

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:15 am

The players and Stevens have also praised his work ethic. He’s come such a long way in a relatively short period of time. A few games back they ran a traditional Celtics play for him where he runs down to the base line back up the other side and shoots off a screen; it went in nicely with great balance on the shot. I’m with Stackhouse on this young man.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:55 am

dboss wrote:Nesmith has a lot of work to do and Romeo has even more work to do than Aaron.  But one of those guys may have to be moved to bring in an experienced veteran.  Grant Williams is not on anybody's wish list and our pair of midgets that were part of the 4 draft pick splurge are carnival characters with minimal trade value.

Romeo is suppose to return after the ASG.  Danny created this cluster F.  How the hell do you develop him and Nesmith?  

I am not happy with coach Stevens but I am even less thrilled with Danny Ainge.

The last name mentioned is the ring leader of this circus of carnival characters. At least we got a 2 for 1. A circus and a carnival.
Go Danny Go!!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:51 pm

dodo?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:30 pm

IF the rumors that the kings want Nesmith and a pick for Barnes is true, one would think Ainge has to look at that hard.

not sure how that trade could even be done to meet cap and TPE rules and all, but Barnes being under contract for two additional years at declining salary seems too much to pass up for two mid-late firsts?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:44 pm

kdp59 wrote:IF the rumors that the kings want Nesmith and a pick for Barnes is true, one would think Ainge has to look at that hard.

not sure how that trade could even be done to meet cap and TPE rules and all, but Barnes being under contract for two additional years at declining salary seems too much to pass up for two mid-late firsts?

kdp,

According to a trade machine that takes TPEs into account the Nesmith/Barnes deal would work. So would a Romeo/Barnes deal. I'd do the Romeo one in a NY second.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:10 am

dboss,

Sounds like you need a trip to Office Depot (or maybe in anticipation you have already been!) to pick up some pink slips to pass out!  

I don't believe you (nor any of us) will be very happy this off-season unless either

A)  Boston miraculously wins the 2021 Finals or
B)  Danny and/or Brad are given one of your shopping items listed above.

Yes, it's true Jerry Stackhouse is going to support a player he's had under his tutelage, but it's the way it is said that matters.  I believe Stackhouse is right.  

Again, for us, it is do we keep him for the future or trade him for today?  If we make that trade, do we really still stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning it all this year with the way the East is stacked and then facing the Lakers in the Finals?  Personally, I don't think so, Tim!  Barnes isn't going to make that much of a difference or impact.

Tuesday's game vs. Clips is what I'm going to dub a HUGE inflection point for the Celtics.  Lose and it's business as usual.  Win, and while it would only be one win but backed by 2 wins, it's going to say a lot about how we view the time off (looking back on the 1st half of the season) for the ASG and how we come out on the other end for viewing the rest of the season.  Yep, I think this game on Tuesday is a very big deal.        

db

Last edited by dbrown4 on Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:40 am

the key any trade using the TPE (and the other assets needed) is to get a player who is under contract for more than this year. At least in my thinking.

of course the player needs to improve the roster this year or there is no reason to make any move.

but the reason to add a player with multiple years on his deal is that Ainge WILL NOT be able to sign any FA's for the next few years, except MLE guys or less. the cap situation changes next season when Tatums' deal kicks in. OVER the tax line until Kemba's deal is done.

so, IF Ainge wants to add a player better than a Thompson type guy, he needs to use that TPE and other assets to get it done.

While I am not big supporter of Barnes, he does seem to fit some of the "wants" that Ainge put out there.
I think Barnes and the two more years of his deal for Nesmith or Langford or Pritchard and a first is a deal too good for Ainge to pass up. But then again maybe Ainge doesn't like Barnes at all.

Barnes has been a starter at GS, Dal and Sac his career 3 pt shooting is almost 38%. He's almost 29YO with two years left on his deal . he replaces hayward's minutes on this team for the next 3 years, even though his game is different.

seems a no brainer, again I am talking about a trade of Nesmith and next years first only for Barnes. that solidifies our rotation for 3 years.

who knows if the reports are real of just online BS. maybe we'll find out soon enough.

oh yes, I forgot to add Barnes has also been a starter on an NBA championship team.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:49 am

You're swaying me to Barnes, kdp59...Good stuff. Call Danny and tell him to get on it!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:25 am

not really trying to convince anyone on Barnes to be honest, more like filling out my thoughts about why that move could make sense longer term.

I would agree that if Ainge trades assets for a player on an expiring deal , that seems more like a desperation move for this year only.

now someone could make a valid argument for brining in John Collins for young assets. But he would be a RFA next season which means Ainge could match any offer.

But other than a player in that type of situation, I do think that any player Ainge adds with the TPE should be a guy with a couples years on his deal.

I would note no matter when he uses the TPE (if he can).
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down