+6
bobheckler
gyso
tjmakz
worcester
atcross
10 posters

Go down

Celtics Rumors: Boston Likely Will Consider Signing DeMarcus Cousins Empty Celtics Rumors: Boston Likely Will Consider Signing DeMarcus Cousins

Post by 112288 Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:28 pm

Celtics Rumors: Boston Likely Will Consider Signing DeMarcus Cousins
The Rockets released Boogie over a month ago

NESN by Abigail Adams

The Celtics have been looking for more depth at center, and they could be exploring a familiar name with Andre Drummond now essentially off the market.

Boston now is expected to consider signing DeMarcus Cousins, according to NBA Analysis Network’s Evan Massey.

The C’s reportedly were one of the top candidates to land Drummond before he joined up with the Los Angeles Lakers. But now they apparently are looking elsewhere as they look to fill their open roster spot.

Boston has looked into picking up Cousins in the past, too, according to multiple reports.

Rumors have linked Cousins to the Celtics for the last several years, though nothing ever materialized. Still, one NBA agent didn’t hesitate to suggest Boston as a likely landing spot for the star center following his release from the Houston Rockets in late February.

Finding some help at the five might not be a bad idea, though. Robert Williams and Tristan Thompson should have things generally under control but likely will need more help down the stretch, especially if the Celtics indeed make a playoff push.

Cousins averaged 9.6 points, 7.6 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 25 games (11 starts) with the Rockets earlier this season. He missed the entire 2019-20 campaign due to an ACL injury.

Back to top Go down

Celtics Rumors: Boston Likely Will Consider Signing DeMarcus Cousins Empty Re: Celtics Rumors: Boston Likely Will Consider Signing DeMarcus Cousins

Post by atcross Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:51 pm

The Cs have five centers now. And Stevens is willing to play GW at center for small ball. I guess they could waive Waters but do they really need six?

atcross

Back to top Go down

Celtics Rumors: Boston Likely Will Consider Signing DeMarcus Cousins Empty Re: Celtics Rumors: Boston Likely Will Consider Signing DeMarcus Cousins

Post by worcester Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:13 am

Celtics are now one game, 1, out of 4th place. Only one. Time for Celtic Pride.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:35 am

112288 wrote:Celtics Rumors: Boston Likely Will Consider Signing DeMarcus Cousins
The Rockets released Boogie over a month ago

NESN by Abigail Adams

The Celtics have been looking for more depth at center, and they could be exploring a familiar name with Andre Drummond now essentially off the market.

Boston now is expected to consider signing DeMarcus Cousins, according to NBA Analysis Network’s Evan Massey.

The C’s reportedly were one of the top candidates to land Drummond before he joined up with the Los Angeles Lakers. But now they apparently are looking elsewhere as they look to fill their open roster spot.

Boston has looked into picking up Cousins in the past, too, according to multiple reports.

Rumors have linked Cousins to the Celtics for the last several years, though nothing ever materialized. Still, one NBA agent didn’t hesitate to suggest Boston as a likely landing spot for the star center following his release from the Houston Rockets in late February.

Finding some help at the five might not be a bad idea, though. Robert Williams and Tristan Thompson should have things generally under control but likely will need more help down the stretch, especially if the Celtics indeed make a playoff push.

Cousins averaged 9.6 points, 7.6 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 25 games (11 starts) with the Rockets earlier this season. He missed the entire 2019-20 campaign due to an ACL injury.

Doesn’t Boston already have all 15 roster spots filled?
Yes, they could waive a player to sign someone else, but the writer of this article mentioned Boston’s open roster spot...???
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:36 am

atcross wrote:The Cs have five centers now. And Stevens is willing to play GW at center for small ball. I guess they could waive Waters but do they really need six?

Waters is on a two-way contract.
Boston would need to waive someone other than Waters or Tacko.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:02 am

Cousins is likely someone's fantasy.  There is no open spot, yet.  TJ is correct, Fall or Waters are 2-way players, so they are off the table.

Stretching out a player may be the only way.  Luke has a higher salary than Mo, crazy as that seems.  So one of them go?

Carson Edwards would seem (for some) to be the likely one to be waived, due to him having the lowest salary this season.  Edwards' salary is guaranteed for next season, so that adds to the amount to be stretched out.  Plus, as atcross says, six centers?

If the rumors are true and Drummond was the target, it must be possible, I guess.

IMO, the drop off from Drummond to Cousins is a bridge too far.  Thompson is the beef, like him or not.

spotrac still has Green in green, so ignore that.  Use link to see the lowest salaries:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:36 am

gyso wrote:Cousins is likely someone's fantasy.  There is no open spot, yet.  TJ is correct, Fall or Waters are 2-way players, so they are off the table.

Stretching out a player may be the only way.  Luke has a higher salary than Mo, crazy as that seems.  So one of them go?

Carson Edwards would seem (for some) to be the likely one to be waived, due to him having the lowest salary this season.  Edwards' salary is guaranteed for next season, so that adds to the amount to be stretched out.  Plus, as atcross says, six centers?

If the rumors are true and Drummond was the target, it must be possible, I guess.

IMO, the drop off from Drummond to Cousins is a bridge too far.  Thompson is the beef, like him or not.

spotrac still has Green in green, so ignore that.  Use link to see the lowest salaries:

gyso,

If "Thompson is the beef, like him or not" then what role would Drummond have played, and every rumor said that Danny was pushing hard for Drummond?

Cousins is a little less effective than Drummond in scoring and rebounding/minute but Cousins shoots 3s (and we know how much Brad values that!) and he has a solid 1.5:1 assist-to-turnover ratio whereas Drummond's is negative.  In other words he is, and has always been throughout his career, a much better facilitator than Drummond. The chances of having an empty possession, either from turnovers and/or missing at the frito line, are definitely higher with Drummond than with Cousins.

What I don't understand is why are we even looking at these guys?  Are we waiving Kornet?  If so, why even trade for him, Danny has two smaller TPE's could have used to compensate for any salary matching differences between Theis and Green for Wagner.  We lack experience in our front court, Tristan is the only older veteran, so I suppose Cousins brings that.  I'm still rooting for a floor general.

It is interesting though that a lot of the players getting bought out are bigs, isn't it?  They are just not held in high esteem anymore in today's NBA.  I'm not sold on Luke Kornet, although he had a standout performance on Saturday, but he is much more of a modern big than Andre Drummond.  Cousins can and does shoot the 3-ball and does pass quite well for his size.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:59 am

The bigs being bought out are mostly aging stars or have suffered injury that has brought their level of competitiveness down a peg or two while being paid top dollar. I do not consider a player being labeled a big if that player is below 6"10".

I would not take the dump as a sign that the game is changing to smaller centers. If it is, in my opinion it is just a fad that will evolve for a period in time before the league goes back to traditional tall centers.

The Celtics win over OKC was due to having bigs that can score form the outside as well as in the paint. We will see.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:06 pm

112288 wrote:The bigs being bought out are mostly aging stars or have suffered injury that has brought their level of competitiveness down a peg or two while being paid top dollar.  I do not consider a player being labeled a big if that player is below 6"10".

I would not take the dump as a sign that the game is changing to smaller centers.   If it is, in my opinion it is just a fad that will evolve for a period in time before the league goes back to traditional tall centers.

The Celtics win over OKC was due to having bigs that can score form the outside as well as in the paint.  We will see.

So Robert Williams and Thompson aren't "bigs"? What are they?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:07 pm

bobheckler wrote:
gyso wrote:Cousins is likely someone's fantasy.  There is no open spot, yet.  TJ is correct, Fall or Waters are 2-way players, so they are off the table.

gyso,

If "Thompson is the beef, like him or not" then what role would Drummond have played, and every rumor said that Danny was pushing hard for Drummond?

Cousins is a little less effective than Drummond in scoring and rebounding/minute but Cousins shoots 3s (and we know how much Brad values that!) and he has a solid 1.5:1 assist-to-turnover ratio whereas Drummond's is negative.  In other words he is, and has always been throughout his career, a much better facilitator than Drummond.  The chances of having an empty possession, either from turnovers and/or missing at the frito line, are definitely higher with Drummond than with Cousins.

What I don't understand is why are we even looking at these guys?  Are we waiving Kornet?  If so, why even trade for him, Danny has two smaller TPE's could have used to compensate for any salary matching differences between Theis and Green for Wagner.  We lack experience in our front court, Tristan is the only older veteran, so I suppose Cousins brings that.  I'm still rooting for a floor general.

It is interesting though that a lot of the players getting bought out are bigs, isn't it?  They are just not held in high esteem anymore in today's NBA.  I'm not sold on Luke Kornet, although he had a standout performance on Saturday, but he is much more of a modern big than Andre Drummond.  Cousins can and does shoot the 3-ball and does pass quite well for his size.

Bob

Bob,

I pretty much agree with you about Cousins but maybe for different reasons.
Cousins has lost so much athleticism and really doesn't play like a center anymore.
In Cousins last season which was the 2018-19 season, 25% of his shot attempts were from the 3 point line.
This season 55% of his shot attempts were from the 3 point line.
His game has changed dramatically because he is no longer effective scoring near the basket.
If Cousins is terrible at switching on defense and he wants to play outside, why sign him?
I really don't understand the Theis trade, other than to stay out of the luxury tax this season.
He was their only center who is an outside threat.
Maybe Cousins can play 10 minutes per game as a 3 point threat at the center position.
It's my opinion that Cousins days as an effective player are over.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:11 pm

112288 wrote:The bigs being bought out are mostly aging stars or have suffered injury that has brought their level of competitiveness down a peg or two while being paid top dollar.  I do not consider a player being labeled a big if that player is below 6"10".

I would not take the dump as a sign that the game is changing to smaller centers.   If it is, in my opinion it is just a fad that will evolve for a period in time before the league goes back to traditional tall centers.

The Celtics win over OKC was due to having bigs that can score form the outside as well as in the paint.  We will see.

Interesting opinion. Also one I wholeheartedly agree with.

I see it as a cycle. In the Jordan era, the league became dominated by traditional guard play. Currently wings are the "in" thing. Shoot from distance and have bigs who can stretch the defense and shoot the 3.

I think rosters and defenses have adjusted so much to this strategy that many teams are ripe to get picked off by strong low-post play. I believe a balanced team, with a couple of gunners and a couple of bruisers capable of banging and scoring down low could run the table. Give me a healthy Embiid and someone who can get him the ball.

I don't know if the current version of Cousins is the guy. If he can hold up physically, maybe. But I think a traditional big man is the key.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:45 pm

Personally, I don't think that either Drummond or Cousins is a good fit for this team. Those two guys play on the block and that clogs things up for guys like Tatum, Brown, Kemba etc. We need someone who can play out further, setting screens for the scorers on the team. Drummond and Cousins I don't think fit that bill.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:48 pm

Bob,

Williams is a freak of nature regarding his leaping ability, so he is unique not the norm. Otherwise he would be playing the power forward position or small forward. Thompson games is simple, he plays below the rim with no vertical leaping ability. He just uses his body frame and weight to gain position under the basket. But he is no rim protector nor a good rebounder against larger centers.

He should be playing the power forward position, bu the Celtics are so hard up for a center they signed him. Think of who the Celtics had for the past several years before last Thursday, Theis at 6'8" and grant Williams at 6'8". THAT IS A JOKE! It was remarkable that they got as far as they did using a small center. With that configuration, they had to play flawless basketball to win on a nightly basis. Put up against a bigger team they would be crushed.

This became all too revealing this year with the Celtics against bigger teams which lead to the mess this year.

Having all these centers will be a great asset come this summer. They will play the new guys along with Cousins and Fall. In the summer Ainge will keep two centers plus Williams and use the rest as trade assets in a bigger trade.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:20 pm

Bob,

I wrote this after Drummond agreed to go elsewhere.  When I wrote " . . . the drop off from Drummond to Cousins is a bridge too far" I guess I could have explained why.

I already didn't want Drummond but by some accounts, Danny did.  I had already decided to accept him in green, if that is the way it went down.  I want Cousins less because of his injury history.  At least Drummond is healthy, Cousins seems to get injured everywhere ho goes.  I had my fill with older centers that get signed by Boston and end up providing no help at all.  (O'Neals for instance)

So having a player who can provide offense and rebounding is better than a player that gives us nothing because he'll end up in street clothes.  That's the drop off.  And with our current crop of tall bigs, Thompson is the beef.  Many don't like him, that's why the "like him or not" comment.

To be honest, I didn't know Cousins can shoot the 3-ball or the other stuff you mentioned.  Most of my recollection about Cousins is that he's a hot head that gets easily frustrated, which affects his game.  It was always fun to see him lose is temper.

As far as Wagner and Kornet are concerned, I am intrigued by what they can add to our team. They seem to be able to set screens and roll as well as pop.  Maybe Brad can coach them up. It would be nice to have tall guys that can move for a change.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:50 pm

Grant is only 6'6".
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:14 pm

If you had asked me last year I would have said we do not need washed up veteran centers.

I am no longer of the same opinion. Apart from wanting to get a trade done just so it shakes up the mentality a bit, which has already been done by Danny Ainge, adding veteran players that have previously played at high level could help as well.

Before the season I was of the opinion that it would most definitely help and it could not hurt. Then we added TT and Teague and ... Boy was I wrong heh.

I think there might be a clear shift in thinking finally, that we cannot continue to play ISO all year and playing inside out is something I have heard Brad mention now at least twice in pre-game interviews. You cannot play inside out without Front Court players so I welcome new additions there.
I actually think it is not a bad idea to surround our star wings with wing backups and all the rest tall front court type of players Smile - might make the game easier for our star wings, not having to always fight the collapsing defense and certainly from my perspective as a fan more interesting. I am tired of the "all stand at the 3 pt line", "dribble hand-off" offense. Get it inside, get it back, cut to the basket, kick it out .... have more movement !

We can certainly already do that with the current roster - we have how many now 4 Centers? But gambling with Cousins seems worth to me at this point as we really have no quality bench players anyway (or used to we have Fournier now)

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:07 pm

Brad actually said, "Inside out" and was talking about the Celtics?!! That's the farthest thing from his game plan I've seen to date. I need to start watching his pre-game chats. That's 80's talk!! We can't have that!! I usually FF through those to get to the tip off! Outside In? Outside Outside? That's Brad all day long. If Brad can put a steady diet of Inside Out and "mix it all up together in a bucket, messieur" with the other three options, then we've got something. (More comedic relief for those who remember that quote/scene!)

Let's see what transpires tonight. This is the beginning of the end-all, be-all 10-game stretch that will answer all our questions about the 2020-2021 Celtic campaign and where we will wind up in the playoffs.

db

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down