celtic fan
Sam
cowens/oldschool
NYCelt
tjmakz
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ron Artest: Donating His Championship Ring Empty Ron Artest: Donating His Championship Ring

Post by tjmakz Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:51 pm

Ron deserves a lot of credit for his idea of what he will do with his 2009 Championship Ring.

'Artest finally won a title in June after 11 regular seasons of trying ... and now he's planning to sell the championship ring as a fundraiser to put more psychologists, psychiatrists and therapists in schools. "I'm never going to put it on," he said.'

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/09/08/artest.mental.health/index.html
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Ron Artest: Donating His Championship Ring Empty Re: Ron Artest: Donating His Championship Ring

Post by NYCelt Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:30 pm

I'll pass on the opportunity for the cheap shot.

Good for Artest. Perhaps he's discovered what being a champion is all about.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Ron Artest: Donating His Championship Ring Empty Re: Ron Artest: Donating His Championship Ring

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:19 am

Ron Artest!!!cheapshot artist extreme

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:52 am

TJ,

I hope that, for Ron's sake, this is a sign that he has truly begun to get his personal priorities straight. Unfortunately, he may find that it takes more than one grand, publicized gesture to make serious inroads into the mountains of negative equity he has built among his many skeptics.

There are legions of people, including many on this board, who go through life doing countless good works because they believe that's the way life should be—not because it's convenient timing, coming off a personal high upon having achieved an 11-year dream. It takes consistency (usually over a considerable period and through good times and bad) to earn genuine respect.

Jackie Gleason and Art Carney used to do this sketch in which Jackie was trying to win a drugstore contest involving guessing the number of gumballs in a jar. He purchased a similar jar, filled it gumballs, and began counting. The audience hears him counting. "Five hundred eighty-six.....five hundred eighty-seven, five hundred eighty-eight. And in bursts Carney yelling something like, "He Ralphie boy, listen to this. It's one of the greatest ideas ever.!" Whereupon you hear from Gleason, "One, two, three....."

To Ron Artest, I'd say, "Congratulations. That's one."

And, to you, I'd say sincere thanks for sharing the story. Here's hoping many victims will be helped by what Ron is doing. Just don't be disappointed if some people (especially in this particular forum) see it as just one gumdrop in Ron's jar of life.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:08 am

Sam,

I will not try to defend Artest other then saying this one gesture is honorable. Reputations are earned. His reputation and conduct have for the most part been terrible since he has been in the league.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by celtic fan Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:20 am

Well this is definitely a step up from trying to get a job at Best Buy to get the employee discount Very Happy

celtic fan

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:36 pm

He's doing this to provide money for more psychologists in schools.

I can't write stuff this funny.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:16 pm

Matt Barnes got arrested on domestic violence charges in Sacramento. Ron Artest was also arrested (and convicted) of domestic violence charges when he was there. Must be something in the water...

So, Artest is auctioning off his championship ring for a good cause and Barnes is in jail (out on $50,000 bail). What does it say when Ron Artest should be another Laker's role model? Sheesh.

Please Lord, can the season start now?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100909/ap_on_sp_bk_ne/bkn_lakers_barnes_arrested

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:13 pm

I remember reading this for the first time and thinking how cool this was. Then I started thinking, doesn't Ron already have alot of money in the form of an exorbitant paycheck/endorsements that could go a lot further than a publicity stunt to sell his ring. He could still keep his ring and do a ton more help in this area with the excesses he already enjoys and will enjoy the rest of his life.

"You work so hard to get a ring, and now you have a chance to help more people than just yourself, instead of just satisfying yourself," he said. "What's better than that? For me, this is very important."

Ron, you've had that chance all along and will continue into the future. Selling your ring isn't going to change anything. Keep your ring. You earned it. I'm pretty sure no one you are going to sell it to has earned what's behind it or would understand what it took to get it except prior NBA champions. And it would all come across a whole lot cleaner and more respected. The right person who would even consider buying it from him would tell him to keep it.

And yes, I'd say this if a Celtic did this as well in this fashion. Sorry, I'm just missing the connection.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:19 pm

I certainly don't consider Ron Artest a character role model, but I don't think he's the cartoon character that his demonized reputation makes him out to be. From what I've observed, he's a truly strange individual who has done some mind-numbingly stupid things, but I think he also does a fair amount of below-the-radar deeds that run counter to his reputation. Every pro athlete is involved with charity events -- it's part of the job -- but I recall Artest being involved in multiple charity activities that received very little publicity and were beyond the typical pro athlete charity event. The stupid things he's done have left me scratching my head, but so have some of his good deeds. Like I said, he's a truly strange person, but that's on both ends of the spectrum. So I'd say he's lost plenty of marbles along the way, but a bunch of them have fallen into his jar of life.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:29 pm

dbrown4 wrote:I remember reading this for the first time and thinking how cool this was. Then I started thinking, doesn't Ron already have alot of money in the form of an exorbitant paycheck/endorsements that could go a lot further than a publicity stunt to sell his ring. He could still keep his ring and do a ton more help in this area with the excesses he already enjoys and will enjoy the rest of his life.

"You work so hard to get a ring, and now you have a chance to help more people than just yourself, instead of just satisfying yourself," he said. "What's better than that? For me, this is very important."

Ron, you've had that chance all along and will continue into the future. Selling your ring isn't going to change anything. Keep your ring. You earned it. I'm pretty sure no one you are going to sell it to has earned what's behind it or would understand what it took to get it except prior NBA champions. And it would all come across a whole lot cleaner and more respected. The right person who would even consider buying it from him would tell him to keep it.

And yes, I'd say this if a Celtic did this as well in this fashion. Sorry, I'm just missing the connection.

dbrown,

I don't think it's the money behind the sale of the ring that is significant, but the meaning behind it that has the value. You are right, Ron has plenty of money to donate to charities. Maybe he does to a large extent already, maybe he doesn't.
To comment on your last point, If I had the extra money laying around to buy a championship ring, I would take it off of Ron's hands in a heartbeat.
The way I figure it, Ron will sell it to someone else or might lose it to a credit in 10 years...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:42 pm

http://www.tmz.com/2010/09/06/ron-artest-los-angeles-lakers-car-ticket-chp-eagle-roadster-photo-picture/

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:44 pm

Well, as NYCelt suggested, let's all hope this is a catalyst for a new orientation in Ron's life.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:44 pm

bobheckler wrote:http://www.tmz.com/2010/09/06/ron-artest-los-angeles-lakers-car-ticket-chp-eagle-roadster-photo-picture/

bob,

I think Ron was probably driving to a fundraiser/charity event...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:24 pm

If this is so why just go ahead and do it and NOT make a public spectical of this, which is not that far removed from Bron. Many people live there lives and do great things without fanfare or expectations of personal gain.

Of course anything he does is always taken with a large grain of salt. Maybe the attempt is a genuine effort on his part................maybe it's not.

I always wonder a bit about the celeb charity fundraising stuff anyway. Way back when the several "artists" got together and did the "We are the World Bit " Who really donated the money involved. The people that bought the album. Perhaps they did a bit more than donate some time but just wonder is all.

To bring attention to a cause, to make a difference in a life are good and proper things to do. I just don't know about this one. I guess I'm just very cynical of things like this.

Just some thoughts is all.

beat

PS totally off topic here is the Post Standard article showing my ace 2 weeks ago. I'm listed about 1/2 way down

http://blog.syracuse.com/divots/2010/09/its_in_the_hole_sept_2_2010.html
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:38 pm

Here are excerpts from some articles I found without much effort. I think you guys are selling the positive side of the guy short. I think he goes way beyond the standard charity work, and he gets personally involved rather than just giving a donation or sending someone to represent him. Sorry for the length of the post, but what he does is impressive.

I'm not expecting you to like him, but I don't think it's fair to say selling his championship ring is a cheap publicity stunt on the part of someone who doesn't do real work to help others. And his charity work doesn't excuse the stupid stuff he's done, but it does paint a different picture.

Ron has remained an active contributor in his hometown and in the cities of organizations for which he has played, working simultaneously in global regions that require urgent humanitarian aid. He joined a contingent of representatives from the NBA Players Association and the Feed the Children program on a goodwill mission to Africa in July 2007, distributing more than one million meals to impoverished areas in Nairobi as part of the NBPA’s “Feeding One Million” campaign. Ron presented gifts and visited residents at Feed the Children’s Abandoned Baby Center in Kawangware (Kenya), which houses orphaned, ill and neglected youth, and reunited with the Feed the Children program for a mission to Central America in August 2007, delivering rations and supplies to deprived areas throughout Honduras. He participated in the Roosevelt Family Empowerment Weekend held in New York City in Aug. 2007, teaching a youth basketball clinic and speaking to kids about the virtues of hard work and community involvement, and revisited this community in June 2008 on a follow up and helped distribute food and hygiene supplies on behalf of Feed The Children.

During the past year, with the founding of his foundation, Xcel University, Ron has been busy developing and implementing his ideals and visions for youth. Xcel University was established with the goal of identifying issues facing high-risk students while collaborating with schools and community centers to encourage and reward students who are leading productive lives. Ron also became a spokesman in the PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) A.B.C. (Animal Birth Control) campaign and sponsored a spay and neutering program of Pit Bulls at the Sacramento chapter of the SPCA, personally covering all costs for each pet owner. He also covered the costs building and equipping an HIV testing clinic for Ray of Hope Clinic in Nairobi, Kenya in 2008.

In October, 2008, Ron launched “The Artest Math Masters” program at Felix Cook Jr. Elementary School in partnership with the Houston Independent School District, which rewards students who maintain high grades in Mathematics during the 2008-2009 school year. He launched a Spay/Neuter billboard ad campaign with PETA in Houston in February 2009; hosted a fundraising event for the Houston Humane Society where he played “Celebrity Chef for Charity” at Capone’s; and made an additional donation to the Ray of Hope Clinic to pay for lab technicians’ salaries for 2009, feed school children lunches, and emergency surgery for a 7 year old boy with heart problems.

Ron has visited dozens of community centers, schools and libraries in low income areas of numerous cities throughout his career, speaking to kids about the virtues of education and a life void of violence and drugs, and the importance of getting a college education. He has played in several Wheelchair Charities, Inc. Basketball Classics in New York City, which raises funding to assist paraplegic, quadriplegic and amputee patients. Ron helped donate and refurbish a Reading and Learning Center at the Stanford Settlement in Sacramento, and helped renovate the Washington Neighborhood Center in Sacramento as part of the Cesar Chavez Day of Service.

He sponsors basketball tournaments during the summer and fall months in the Queensbridge Projects in New York City, which is an outdoor court in his hometown; sends kids from Queensbridge to summer camps; and pays tuition for kids from Queensbridge who show academic promise to attend private schools. In summer 2008, he hosted the “First Queensbridge Annual BBQ Bash” for the residents of his hometown, and took a group of 20 kids to Disney World.

http://www.projectcontactafrica.com/ronartestbio.aspx

Philanthropist Shlomo Rechnitz had agreed to donate $1,000 to Chabad for every free throw a player made in 60 seconds, but the organization was short a shooter. Chabadnik Chaim Marcus turned to Elie Seckbach, an indefatigable Israeli-born journalist whose unique athlete profiles have made him a cult figure... Seckbach called, texted, and emailed, but struck out with players past and present. "To get an NBA player to take part in something like [an early-morning charity event], even those who are not all-star types, is pretty tough," Seckbach says. "And the fact that they don't know Chabad doesn't make it any easier." With time running out, Seckbach decided to try his luck with Artest, reasoning that, "he's one guy you never know what he'll do."

Two days later, Artest showed up at KTLA's studios at 6:50 a.m. for his 8 a.m. free throw shoot, then stayed late to sign autographs and discuss future charitable projects with Marcus. "[Artest] grew up in Queens, so seeing a yarmulke or a Rabbi with a black hat wasn't National Geographic for him," Marcus told me. In all, and in contrast to his fierce on-court rep and off-court rap sheet, Artest was, Marcus says, "absolutely super menschy."

http://www.tnr.com/blog/the-plank/another-story-about-ron-artest-and-hasidic-jews

Since his rise to stardom, Artest has put many youngsters from Queens through private high schools and colleges. He has set up counseling services like the one that was available to him for kids who need someone to talk to. One of the most recent recipients of Artest's charity has been Oshane Davis, who went to Bishop Loughlin Memorial High School on the ballplayer's dime.

"There isn't a word that has been invented to express my gratitude for Ron," said Davis. "He's definitely a father figure in my life."

As he did with Davis, Artest also extended his pockets to Jamel Hicks. Thanks to Artest's coaching, Hicks was able to play basketball at Liberty University; however, Hicks suffered an injury that forced him off the team. Hicks' worries about Artest's expectations were quickly put to ease when Artest reached out to him.

"Ron told me that he would continue to pay my tuition because it wasn't about basketball – it was about getting an education," Hicks said.

http://www.erdalliance.org/site/index.php?page_name=NEWS%20Queens%20Tribune%2020100722

Artest’s hesitation to publicize his good deeds could be a result of his not considering it to be charity work as much as a part of his life, just another way in which he remains a part of Queensbridge, where he arrives by public transportation, blingless in shorts and T-shirts like everyone else there. When he sent players to Five Star, he slept in the bunks just like the players and went to the practices.

One of his favorite things is serving as a volunteer with Wheelchair Charities Inc., which he has done for 15 years, and doing anything he can for Hank Carter, its founder and chairman. Carter has taken Wheelchair Charities from a small entity that raised money to buy motorized wheelchairs to one that has purchased more than $10 million in wheelchairs, beds, computer labs and state-of-the-art technology for Coler-Goldwater Hospital.

As an NBA player, Artest has played in the Wheelchair Classic game and attended the dinner, recruiting others to join him. Carter, who had been the community center director at Queensbridge and taught Artest’s father to box, has helped guide Artest for nearly 18 years, including the two years when Artest lived with him when times were particularly tough.

“We were so close,” said Carter, 65, a Queensbridge native. “I was into basketball. I was in Vietnam. I was very against drugs in the community. That’s how this started. I fought the drug dealers. I go to Mass every day. I tried to pull Ron closer to God, and he was. Ron will give you the shirt off his back. He’s a great human being. I kept Ron going to church every day. I believed if he gets closer to God, I don’t have to worry about him.”

http://www.zimbio.com/Ron+Artest/articles/29/Rockets+forward+Artest+competitive+nature
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:07 pm

bobheckler wrote:Matt Barnes got arrested on domestic violence charges in Sacramento. Ron Artest was also arrested (and convicted) of domestic violence charges when he was there. Must be something in the water...

So, Artest is auctioning off his championship ring for a good cause and Barnes is in jail (out on $50,000 bail). What does it say when Ron Artest should be another Laker's role model? Sheesh.

Please Lord, can the season start now?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100909/ap_on_sp_bk_ne/bkn_lakers_barnes_arrested

bob

Barnes fiancee has said that no domestic abuse occured...???

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/13912841/barnes-fiance-says-domestic-accusation-false
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:38 pm

Given that Matt Barnes reputedly had an affair with Shaq´s wife, I´m sure glad he didn´t sign with the Celts. Shaq and Barnes in the locker room together? Don´t think so...
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:30 am

worcester wrote:Given that Matt Barnes reputedly had an affair with Shaq´s wife, I´m sure glad he didn´t sign with the Celts. Shaq and Barnes in the locker room together? Don´t think so...

Wait until Barnes has an affair with Ron's wife. There'll be nothing left but serrated pieces of shredded flesh.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:42 am

Would that be worse then having an affair with Artest's mom?
I don't know any player that would do that...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:14 pm

tjmakz wrote:Would that be worse then having an affair with Artest's mom?
I don't know any player that would do that...

TJ,

One would think that's true with LeBron James' mom too, especially when he's your ticket to the Finals, but strange and inexplicable things do happen in this world...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:01 pm

For the sake of Delonte´s health, let´s hope he stays clear of KG´s mom this year!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:53 am

Thanks, Outside. That's what I needed to see and was too lazy to look it up myself due to my first impression and misunderstanding/mischaraterization of Ron. In my mind, those articles alone moved him up into the same regard I have for Shaq and his George Mikan gesture. I was wrong. Ron is one generous, thoughtful person, clearly running circles around most benevolent people. As usual, the squeeky wheel gets the grease in the media and leaves most of us that only have time to barely scratch the surface with the completely wrong idea/impression of what a very public person is all about. Going forward, I will attempt to be better at not misdiagnosing. My bad.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:28 am

dbrown4 wrote:Thanks, Outside... Going forward, I will attempt to be better at not misdiagnosing. My bad.
dbrown,

Not to worry. As I mentioned, he is one strange individual and has done some epically stupid things, so he's earned his reputation as a flake/oddball/idiot. I just happened to see or read about his charity efforts when he was with Houston; otherwise, I probably would've assumed that the championship ring deal was nothing more than a stunt, too.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:36 am

Outside -
sure, Ron's been a flake at times, but you've made a clear case for a better understanding of what's important to him and part of what makes him tick. well done.

like him or not as a player, i now have new regard for him as a human being who is trying to have a positive impact on the lives of real people (and animals), from his home neighborhood to the world. and without crowing about it.

good for him.

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next