Would we have gotten anyone better than this kid with that pick?

+3
cowens/oldschool
worcester
atcross
7 posters

Go down

Would we have gotten anyone better than this kid with that pick? Empty Would we have gotten anyone better than this kid with that pick?

Post by atcross Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:15 pm

Would we have gotten someone better at 16?

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/06/why-celtics-landing-moses-brown-is-underrated-element-of-kemba-walker-trade.html

atcross

Back to top Go down

Would we have gotten anyone better than this kid with that pick? Empty Re: Would we have gotten anyone better than this kid with that pick?

Post by worcester Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:35 am

Brian Robb needs to take a class in English composition, but he airs some good points. Moses is much better than whomever we could get at #16 and for 1/3 the price. This was a great trade. When he says AH has a bloated contract, not so much. $41M over 2 years is not that steep...and the cost only jumps if we win #18. Plus we save $9M this year against the cap with KW's departure. What is not to love about this trade? I will miss Kemba's smile, but for $3 I can buy a tube of Crest and admire my own teeth in the morning.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Would we have gotten anyone better than this kid with that pick? Empty Re: Would we have gotten anyone better than this kid with that pick?

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:54 am

worcester wrote:Brian Robb needs to take a class in English composition, but he airs some good points. Moses is much better than whomever we could get at #16 and for 1/3 the price. This was a great trade. When he says AH has a bloated contract, not so much. $41M over 2 years is not that steep...and the cost only jumps if we win #18.  Plus we save $9M this year against the cap with KW's departure. What is not to love about this trade? I will miss Kemba's smile, but for $3 I can buy a tube of Crest and admire my own teeth in the morning.

LMFAO

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:05 am

worcester wrote:Brian Robb needs to take a class in English composition, but he airs some good points. Moses is much better than whomever we could get at #16 and for 1/3 the price. This was a great trade. When he says AH has a bloated contract, not so much. $41M over 2 years is not that steep...and the cost only jumps if we win #18.  Plus we save $9M this year against the cap with KW's departure. What is not to love about this trade? I will miss Kemba's smile, but for $3 I can buy a tube of Crest and admire my own teeth in the morning.

Yes. I've seen articles and comments that suggest OKC got the better deal. If OKC is just in all out rebuild then who knows how it will pan out for them. But it seems to me we did very well. I don't know that there was really anything wrong with Kemba other than his health and contract. His attitude was great. And he could fill it up when he was healthy. And take charges like Smart (at a much higher physical cost). He wasn't a perfect fit but he was an asset when healthy. But the health and contract were too big flaws than had to be fixed.

If Horford can give us twenty minutes and leadership that the younger players accept I see him as terrific returned goods. Did anyone want him to leave in the first place? But frankly, while I may not understand the details of the trade (and have no interest in them. I'm retired) I'm surprised we managed to get this kid in the deal. Obviously we will need to move some bigs and who knows if we will still have both of them when next season starts. What's the min we have to wait before you can trade them again? But at this point it seems like we did damn well.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:07 am

I don't follow college ball, so I cannot answer this question with specifics, but I do know that any big you get out of college will need a year or two to learn the NBA game if not more.  Rule of thumb is that point guards need a few years to develop because they have the steepest learning curve, they have to not only learn the offense but also how to read the defenses he's facing, and that bigs need a few years to develop because they need to grow into their bodies.  They're all growth and their coordination hasn't caught up yet.  Plus, there's the concern that their soft tissue needs more time to catch up with their skeleton.  Gaining a player who got 953 minutes last season, 32 starts (meaning he went up against the NBA's best bigs) is better than an untested, unready rookie in my opinion.  Payton Pritchard played more total minutes, but PP played in more games than Brown.  Brown played 2mpg more than Pritchard, against tougher talent, and that's good seasoning.

Here's how I see this whole deal:

1.  We lost about $9M/year in salary.  That's very good.  It gives us the full MLE and also lets us bid competitively for Fournier (even in a sign-and-trade) and gives us salary for Smart next year.

2.  We're already too young and inexperienced.  Another mid-first round rookie is the last thing we need more of.  We are carrying far more youth than teams competing for a Championships have.  Giving up that pick is no big loss, to me, even a great thing because now there's no temptation to keep and use it.

3.  Moses, RWill and Kornet will now compete.  I realize Kornet's skill set is somewhat different than the other two but they are all baseline defenders and those are the minutes they are competing for, and competition is a good thing.

4.  Horford will be a great big man coach for our young bigs.  I have nothing against Tristan at all, but he has an old school game and our bigs tend to be less physical.  Horford, despite being the oldest player on the team, has a "new NBA" big game.  RWill has, on numerous occasions, expansively extolled Horford's impact on his growth as a player when they were both Celtics.  Imagine what he can do for Moses and Kornet, as well as furthering the development of The Time Lord.

4.  Even if the decision is made to waive Moses, or trade him for a box of Krispy Kremes, the value of my points 1 & 2 still make this a good deal.  I would still trade Kemba plus our first plus a second for Horford, straight up, just for what that money can do for us.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:59 am

I don’t think we will waive young Moses, great to have a young dirty big that can support and challenge RWill for minutes.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:05 pm

Waive Tacko. Waive Kornet. But not Moses.
He may lead us to the Promised Land.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:05 pm

They don’t sell Gleem in your neck of the woods? LOL
Brian Robb nor nobody else on this earth that can fog up a mirror can predict nor declare that Moses is much better than the upcoming 16th pick or vice versa. Nobody.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:39 am

atcross wrote:Would we have gotten someone better at 16?

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/06/why-celtics-landing-moses-brown-is-underrated-element-of-kemba-walker-trade.html

atcross

Possibly.  We do not know who that pick could have been.

Even so, parting with the pick was part of the cost of moving Walker's contract.  And Getting Moses Brown in the process seems like a really nice perk.  At least there is a sample size of NBA play that we got.  Moses Brown played 43 games with 32 as a starter and put up very respectable numbers.  He is only 21 and carries a 2-way player size salary. It's a no brainer.

His addition to the team really makes both TT, Kornet and Fall expendable although keeping Fall as a 2-way does not hurt the team in the least.

AH is likely gone in 2 years so the future at center may be set with Williams and Brown.  In the interim, Al provides the maturity and leadership that should be of great value to the entire team and he can still contribute on the court

The current pressing issue that cannot stand by itself will be the new PG that Boston brings in.  Decisions on moving Smart and/or Thompson as well as a couple of young bench guys and keeping or not keeping Fournier are all dumped into a big pot of stew.

This should be a very active offseason.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:14 pm

Good move.

Not many quality many bigs in this years draft.

Brown is probably as good a bet or better than anyone available using the pick.

He comes in on the cheap too. No big contract obligation.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:49 pm

NYCelt wrote:Good move.

Not many quality many bigs in this years draft.

Brown is probably as good a bet or better than anyone available using the pick.

He comes in on the cheap too. No big contract obligation.

Agreed the draft is a crapshoot, this is a big mobile tenacious old school in the paint big, this we know, he’s had multiple double digit rebound games at the NBA level and is 21, can develop into our starting big of the future.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down