+5
dboss
RosalieTCeltics
NYCelt
gyso
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

Celtics Insider on Jabari Parker: ‘Better Than 50/50 Shot’ Empty Celtics Insider on Jabari Parker: ‘Better Than 50/50 Shot’

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:10 am

https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/jabari-parker-possible-return/

Celtics Insider on Jabari Parker: ‘Better Than 50/50 Shot’

By Ryan Aston
Updated Aug 27, 2021 at 11:30am

Celtics Insider on Jabari Parker: ‘Better Than 50/50 Shot’ Jabari-Parker-Celtics
Getty
Boston Celtics forward Jabari Parker is double-teamed during a 2021 playoff game against the Brooklyn Nets.

If Boston Celtics fans were looking for Jabari Parker to rediscover the magic that made him the No. 2 overall pick of the 2014 NBA draft last season, they were left disappointed. The 26-year-old definitely had his moments off the bench for Brad Stevens but, on the whole, his presence had little impact on the Celtics’ spiraling season.

Still, when August 24 came and went with Parker apparently remaining on the roster, $100,000 of his salary for the 2021-22 season became guaranteed. That may be a paltry sum in the NBA world but it’s still something. And it left fans to wonder whether the Parker experiment may yet continue despite the ho-hum return last season.

According to one team insider, there’s a better than average chance that it will.

Robb: Parker More Likely to Return Than Not

For his latest mailbag, MassLive’s Brian Robb was asked about Parker’s future by multiple readers. His response indicated that there was a real possibility the oft-injured former Duke standout would be back in Celtics green next season.

“The Celtics obviously have an interest in keeping him for the season by letting that money trigger,” he wrote. “But cutting him after training camp is still a very real option if he doesn’t earn a spot.”

Robb further opined that Parker’s odds of securing a roster spot are bolstered by the forward’s ability to generate his own offense.

“For now, I’d say his odds of making the team are pretty good since the Celtics lack reliable scoring depth at backup power forward,” he added. “Grant Williams is there but we know he isn’t much of a factor with his scoring or shot creation. Parker provides a viable alternative on that front off the bench.”

That said, the team’s continued tinkering could work against Parker. If Stevens is able to find a better fit before the remaining $1.1 million of his ’21-22 salary becomes guaranteed, it could leave Parker without a spot. For now, though, it looks like Robb is betting on a return.

“League sources continue to express to MassLive that the team is pursuing additional roster tweaks at the back end of the roster and adding another forward could put Parker’s spot in Jeopardy. For now, I give him a better than 50/50 shot of making the team with a trade of Carsen Edwards or Kris Dunn being the other viable alternatives for now to cut the roster down to 15 barring another trade.”

Bob
MY NOTE:  If Brad goes for need, then Parker's gone because Brad will get a PF (who plays defense).  If Brad looks to just cut away excess redundancy (i.e. TOO much depth) then he'll move Edwards or Dunn because we don't need this many guards.  Bottom line:  Somebody's gone.  Period.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Insider on Jabari Parker: ‘Better Than 50/50 Shot’ Empty Re: Celtics Insider on Jabari Parker: ‘Better Than 50/50 Shot’

Post by gyso Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:29 am

I believe that Edwards needs to find another opportunity elsewhere. He would shine in Europe or China. His path to any of those leagues opens up after we trade him with some extra $$$ and the receiving team waives his contract.

Dunn was always deemed to be a pass-through contract, with time being the only factor as to why he is still here. He may be gone in a multiple player swap soon after that is allowed by the CBA.

I was hoping that Parker would be a net positive (scores more points than he allows) and I don't think his time in green has proven anything, one way or another. Of the three, I would give him the best chance of sticking, because he fills a need.

Would anybody really be all that upset if all three were soon gone and we replaced them with just some salary relief and a couple open roster spots?

Back to top Go down

Celtics Insider on Jabari Parker: ‘Better Than 50/50 Shot’ Empty Re: Celtics Insider on Jabari Parker: ‘Better Than 50/50 Shot’

Post by NYCelt Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:12 am

My guess is Parker and Dunn stick. Edwards is easy enough to part with and I think he’s a candidate to be going. He might stay if they carry 15.

More time is needed to see what Parker can do but he should add scoring. Dunn can still play some D. Edwards contributes neither of those skills.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:44 pm

I had made mention of this article in another post. Thanks for putting in on here. I find it rather interesting. I remember that Jefferson and the other 6 that got traded for KG. Big Al had improved so much that year that I was extremely skeptical of the trade. Little did I realize how much I would fall in love with KG and his game
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:37 pm

The easiest way to get down to 15 players is to cut Parker. However CE has no long term future with Boston. So do you just waive him and eat his $1,782,621 salary if you cannot find a trading partner? I like gyso suggestion that they could throw some money in the deal to move him.

With respect to Dunn, as teams are completing their rosters it will become increasing difficult to find a trading partner. If Boston cannot find a trading partner I think he stays. Also it would be some insurance against DS becoming a chemistry killer.

One thing is certain. We will all find out.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:53 pm

I for one, would like to see them give Parker a shot at making the team and keeping him. At this point they have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Edwards is not going to be on the end of that bench, I believe. He is dead weight. After watching Parker during the Brooklyn series, he showed some excellent moves under the basket and shot the ball well. Give him a chance
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:51 pm

Here is my odd conclusion of the day. Contrary to previous statements and utterances.

I would give Grant Williams all available BU minutes at PF. He is a better 3 point shooter (gulp!) and he is a better defender (Gulp, gulp!) than Parker is.

How many more games does Parker need to miss before it become conclusive that this guy is mostly unavailable?

Last 7 seasons games played (31, 39, 25, 32, 6, 3 and 10 last year)

There is only one reason why you would waste $2.283 Million on him. You would be paying him not to play.

He remains the obvious easy to make choice on not being on the roster.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:43 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I for one, would like to see them give Parker a shot at making the team and keeping him.  At this point they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  Edwards is not going to be on the end of that bench, I believe. He is dead weight.  After watching Parker during the Brooklyn series, he showed some excellent moves under the basket and shot the ball well.  Give him a chance

I agree. Given his ability to get buckets, Parker seems like the deep bench guy that can basically win you one game a season - he gets time some random night when he has it going on and gets 20+. If it's a playoff game, all the better.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:46 pm

Alot of those games missed were DNP/coaches decision. I will stay with what I wrote. There is talent that may come . Call me a wishful thinker
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:40 pm

dboss wrote:Here is my odd conclusion of the day.  Contrary to previous statements and utterances.

I would give Grant Williams all available BU minutes at PF.  He is a better 3 point shooter (gulp!) and he is a better defender (Gulp, gulp!) than Parker is.

How many more games does Parker need to miss before it become conclusive that this guy is mostly unavailable?

There is only one reason why you would waste $2.283 Million on him.  You would be paying him not to play.

Gulp!? G Dub on team dboss! Sky is falling…..

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:13 pm

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:Here is my odd conclusion of the day.  Contrary to previous statements and utterances.

I would give Grant Williams all available BU minutes at PF.  He is a better 3 point shooter (gulp!) and he is a better defender (Gulp, gulp!) than Parker is.

There is only one reason why you would waste $2.283 Million on him.  You would be paying him not to play.

Gulp!? G Dub on team dboss! Sky is falling…..

Nothing makes sense anymore.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:34 pm

Scal was actually a better player than GWill, Parker and CE….let that sink in

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:11 am

Cow,

That was pretty funny and only because it is so true.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:09 am

I don’t think so.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:17 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Scal was actually a better player than GWill, Parker and CE….let that sink in

Cow I am not so sure about that.  CE Yes, Gwill equal to and Parker definitely not

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/scalabr01.html
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:43 am

His defense is better than Parker, more size and better defender than GWill

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:12 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:His defense is better than Parker, more size and better defender than GWill

Your defense is better than Parker's.. lol

Scals carved out a nice 11 year career. Got a ring with Boston.

To me he was more of a side show. I can still hear the fans chanting "S -C -A- L-A -B -R -I -N- E"

And if he actually scored a basket, it was outrageously overblown.

I would rank GWill's defense equal to that of Scals.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:53 am

Brian Scalabrine was brought to the Celtics in 2005-06 as a "steadying influence" when the team was going through hard times and roster churn.  His overall influence and minutes were both diminished in 2007-08 upon the arrival of KG.

There was a period when KG went down with an injury for 11 games.  Scal slipped into the starting lineup and the team went 9-2 for those games.  He stepped into that role and the team didn't skip a beat.  When KG returned, Scal stepped back to his regular role, steadying influence on the bench.

He was fair to good at many things but not all that great at anything.  His presence on the team did accomplish one thing - a never-ending number of Scal-threads, where half of the folks hated him and the other half understood his limited yet steady contribution to the Celtics.

Scal's role back then may be remarkably similar to GWill's role now.  When all else fails, the coach can throw either player into the game and he won't be a total screw-up.  Razz   Many fans won't agree with this, but the proof is in how their coaches leaned on both of them during their time in Green.  Further proof will be if Coach Ime continues to give GWill playing time in the regular rotation.

Their stats are comparable, with GWill scoring more because he shoots more.  Given good health, GWill's career may end up better than Scal's over time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down