Jayson Tatum ‘Invested’ In Celtics, Embracing Role As Franchise Player

+3
prakash
dboss
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Jayson Tatum ‘Invested’ In Celtics, Embracing Role As Franchise Player Empty Jayson Tatum ‘Invested’ In Celtics, Embracing Role As Franchise Player

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:47 pm

https://nesn.com/2021/07/jayson-tatum-invested-in-celtics-embracing-role-as-franchise-player/

Jayson Tatum ‘Invested’ In Celtics, Embracing Role As Franchise Player

'I've got to embrace it because I'm invested'

by Alexandra Francisco

15 hours ago

The Boston Celtics are invested in Jayson Tatum and it looks like the feeling is mutual.

For obvious reasons, the team hopes to keep the All-Star wing in the franchise beyond his rookie extension, and when it came time to find a new head coach at the beginning of the offseason, Tatum’s feedback and endorsement led to the hiring of Ime Udoka.

Another change included the departure of Kemba Walker in a trade, making Tatum the highest paid member of the Celtics and, not that he wasn’t already, the face of the franchise.

Ahead of Tatum’s fifth season in the NBA, he’s embracing that role.

“That’s the position I’m in now,” Tatum told Gary Washburn of The Boston Globe. “I’ve got to embrace it because I’m invested and I’m a part of all of this and (I embrace) just having my hands on. I got a feel for things going on with the team and the organization and I think it’s only right.”

It’s a position Tatum now feels ready to be in, having been named a two-time All-Star and All-NBA third teamer in his short career thus far. His age never has been something he’s seen as a limitation, though.

“It’s what I always wanted,” Tatum said. “No matter how old or young I was, I never looked at myself as one of the best young players in the league. I never like when people say that. I feel like I’m one of the best players. That’s what I envisioned when I was younger. That’s what I worked for. I never wanted to just get to the NBA and be in the league, I wanted to be one of the best players.”

The 23-year-old’s growth over the last two seasons is evidence of that mentality, and the dedication he has to backing those words up.

He felt slighted after not being named to an All-NBA team after the 2020-21 season, but we’ll see if that chip on his shoulder carries the Celtics to success in the next one.

Bob
MY NOTE:  The great players, the truly great players, not only help their team win they also recruit other great players.  Bird with Walton, Pierce with KG, Kobe and MJ and LeBron.  All of these great players lured other players, players whose talents were welcome anywhere, to their team.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jayson Tatum ‘Invested’ In Celtics, Embracing Role As Franchise Player Empty Re: Jayson Tatum ‘Invested’ In Celtics, Embracing Role As Franchise Player

Post by dboss Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:47 pm

So you are saying that Bird recruited Walton?

I do not think that is true. The Celtics traded Maxwell, along with a first-round draft choice, to the Los Angeles Clippers on Sept. 6, 1985 in exchange for Bill Walton.

By the time Walton was traded to Boston he was not a great player still. In fact he was a shell of a former great player. As you may recall Walton had a history of foot related injuries. In his first year he played 80 game and and helped us secure Banner # 16 but in year 2 just 10 games.

Paul Pierce did not lure KG to Boston. As a matter of fact KG was not going to join PP on the Celtics until Danny Ainge was able to add Ray Allen.

What great player did MJ lure to the Bulls?

Kobe convinced Dwight Howard to join the Lakers and then spent the next year berating him.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Jayson Tatum ‘Invested’ In Celtics, Embracing Role As Franchise Player Empty Re: Jayson Tatum ‘Invested’ In Celtics, Embracing Role As Franchise Player

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:23 pm

dboss wrote:So you are saying that Bird recruited Walton?

I do not think that is true.  The Celtics traded Maxwell, along with a first-round draft choice, to the Los Angeles Clippers on Sept. 6, 1985 in exchange for Bill Walton.  

By the time Walton  was traded to Boston he was not a great player still.  In fact he was a shell of a former great player.  As you may recall Walton had a history of foot related injuries.  In his first year he played 80 game and and helped us secure Banner # 16 but in year 2 just 10 games.

Paul Pierce did not lure KG to Boston.  As a matter of fact KG was not going to join PP on the Celtics until Danny Ainge was able to add Ray Allen.  

Kobe convinced Dwight Howard to join the Lakers and then spent the next year berating him.

dboss,

The story is that Red was working on the deal and was worried about Walton's health.  Larry happened to walk into his office while Red was talking to Walton about this.  Red told Walton to 'hold on', put his hand over the receiver and asked Larry what he thought, should Red ask Walton to come in for a physical?  Bird said "ask him if he thinks he can play".  Walton said 'yes' and Bird said "that's good enough for me" and the deal got done.  Walton very much wanted to play with Bird and wanted the trade to happen.  I've listened to youtubes where Bill Walton flat out said he wanted to come to Boston to play with Bird in the worst way.

Walton wasn't what he was in his youth with Portland, but he was still a great shot blocker and passer, and the 1985-86 Celtics are arguably one of the best passing teams in history.  He averaged 19mpg for us that year and was as good a back up center as I can imagine.  The only back up centers I can think of that came even close to Walton, even in that back up role at that age hanging on with the body he had, are Marcin Gortat when he backed up Dwight Howard in Orlando and John Salley in Detroit and Chicago.

KG didn't want to come to Boston unless Danny could improve the team.  Once he got Ray Allen KG turned around, but there is no doubt his longtime relationship with Pierce factored into that.  The other team in the mix was GSW.  KG held the trump card because

Jordan recruited Rodman.  Rodman was leaving San Antonio, one way or another, but he wanted the Bulls.  Jordan pushed Jerry Krause for the trade, Scotty Pippen was opposed.  It was Will Perdue for Rodman, straight up.  A steal for Chicago, obviously, and it happened because Jordan said yes, he outranked Pippen, and Rodman wanted to play with MJ.

Yes, Kobe berated Dwight Howard after he got him to LA.  That doesn't mean he didn't recruit him in the first place.  Another player Kobe recruited, from the Rockets, was TAFKARA (The Asshole Formerly Known As Ron Artest).  I'm sure you remember that Artest was one of the best defenders of his era.

The importance of recruiting is even more important now, because the players have so much influence over each other.  DWade recruited LeBron, LeBron recruited Bosh etal.  Players talk to each other, they hang out with each other and work out together in the summer.  The rumors this year were that someone on the Celtics told Blake Griffin to not sign with us.  That's reverse recruiting, if you will.  Players listen to players, and elite players listen to other elite players, so having an elite player that other elite players respect and like is vital if you want to add talent via free agency and not just swap talent out for talent in with a trade.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:42 pm

Tim Duncan is an excellent example of a humble super star who stayed humble. I believe those Spurs teams were great because of his example. That made Pop great. As soon as he hung up his sneakers, the Kawhi-Pop relationship broke up.

Tatum seems to have some of that. In the beginning of the year I saw him barking a bit at PP. Later as the year progressed, he seemed to settle in. Also, PP reigned in his stuff a bit so that he could fit in.

A humble super star Tatum will bode very well for the Celts.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:16 am

Larry nicknamed Bill Walton, "Dr. Scholl."
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:22 am

bobheckler wrote:

I do not think that is true.  The Celtics traded Maxwell, along with a first-round draft choice, to the Los Angeles Clippers on Sept. 6, 1985 in exchange for Bill Walton.  

By the time Walton  was traded to Boston he was not a great player still.  In fact he was a shell of a former great player.  As you may recall Walton had a history of foot related injuries.  In his first year he played 80 game and and helped us secure Banner # 16 but in year 2 just 10 games.

Paul Pierce did not lure KG to Boston.  As a matter of fact KG was not going to join PP on the Celtics until Danny Ainge was able to add Ray Allen.  

dboss,

The story is that Red was working on the deal and was worried about Walton's health.  Larry happened to walk into his office while Red was talking to Walton about this.  Red told Walton to 'hold on', put his hand over the receiver and asked Larry what he thought, should Red ask Walton to come in for a physical?  Bird said "ask him if he thinks he can play".  Walton said 'yes' and Bird said "that's good enough for me" and the deal got done.  Walton very much wanted to play with Bird and wanted the trade to happen.  I've listened to youtubes where Bill Walton flat out said he wanted to come to Boston to play with Bird in the worst way.

Walton wasn't what he was in his youth with Portland, but he was still a great shot blocker and passer, and the 1985-86 Celtics are arguably one of the best passing teams in history.  He averaged 19mpg for us that year and was as good a back up center as I can imagine.  The only back up centers I can think of that came even close to Walton, even in that back up role at that age hanging on with the body he had, are Marcin Gortat when he backed up Dwight Howard in Orlando and John Salley in Detroit and Chicago.

KG didn't want to come to Boston unless Danny could improve the team.  Once he got Ray Allen KG turned around, but there is no doubt his longtime relationship with Pierce factored into that.  The other team in the mix was GSW.  KG held the trump card because

Jordan recruited Rodman.  Rodman was leaving San Antonio, one way or another, but he wanted the Bulls.  Jordan pushed Jerry Krause for the trade, Scotty Pippen was opposed.  It was Will Perdue for Rodman, straight up.  A steal for Chicago, obviously, and it happened because Jordan said yes, he outranked Pippen, and Rodman wanted to play with MJ.

Yes, Kobe berated Dwight Howard after he got him to LA.  That doesn't mean he didn't recruit him in the first place.  Another player Kobe recruited, from the Rockets, was TAFKARA (The Asshole Formerly Known As Ron Artest).  I'm sure you remember that Artest was one of the best defenders of his era.

The importance of recruiting is even more important now, because the players have so much influence over each other.  DWade recruited LeBron, LeBron recruited Bosh etal.  Players talk to each other, they hang out with each other and work out together in the summer.  The rumors this year were that someone on the Celtics told Blake Griffin to not sign with us.  That's reverse recruiting, if you will.  Players listen to players, and elite players listen to other elite players, so having an elite player that other elite players respect and like is vital if you want to add talent via free agency and not just swap talent out for talent in with a trade.

Bob

Plus there were articles in LA media that if Pierce played with Shaq they could have gotten those same titles with the hometown kid Pierce. We are lucky KG felt enough for his kindered spirit Pierce to come over here after we acquired Ray Allen. If he went to LA with Kobe they could have easily won, but KG had enough battles with them in the West for years that he wanted to beat them badly and do it with Pierce. Thanks KG for not selling out like what someone like Durant probably would have done. Pierce was always underrated and under appreciated for years, could take over games and was clutch and tough and obviously score at all 3 levels and finish in traffic; but never had enough help, then finally got the respect after so many bad years when he finally won.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:48 pm

There was a time when Red was alive, that HE did the recruiting. How many players did he bring in here with a few years left on their legs and use their talents to solidify this team. Bird’s endorsement of Walton helped bring him here, as Max had ticked Red off enough to finish off the trade. Walton, Embry, Archibald, Maravich, Naulls, Nelson, the list goes on and on.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:35 pm

Don't forget Bailey Howell and Paul Silas.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:19 pm

Thanks Worcester, I had a “senior” moment and forgot Bailey Howell’s name, I could see his face, but the name just went away!!!!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:40 pm

100% or 99.9. I believe that Kobe refused to attend the meeting set up to lure Dwight.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:50 pm

bobheckler wrote:

dboss,

Bob

Rodman did not go to Chicago because of Jordan. Rodman, in the “Last Dance” and other articles I read said he didn’t care whether Jordan was there or not. He even said that it didn’t matter either if it was the Bulls that he would eventually go to.
Kobe did NOT recruit Dwight. Kobe refused to recruit anyone. KG came to Boston because of the Ray deal and the influence from his good friend Chauncey Billups. PP is his good friend but if thats all it takes then Ray and Chauncey wouldn’t have factored in.
With all that being said, yes, elite recruiting does happen.Lets just hope it doesn’t get out of hand.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:54 pm

worcester wrote:Larry nicknamed Bill Walton, "Dr. Scholl."

I thought it was Kareem who tagged Walton with that. Either one would be correct. :>)

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:15 pm

Ktron. That could be apocryphal. I tried looking up the source on the internet, but no luck.
Instead I found these gems:

https://www.quotespeak.com/life-quotes/motivational-quotes/basketball-players-coaches-best-quotes/3/
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:37 am

On the topic of JT, in the USA win over Spain, Tatum played a key role in finding his teammates. I think we are going to see a lot more of that from both him and JB.

The next big star to ask out will be Lillard. I hope no one throws shade on him. It's hard to believe he has already played in 9 NBA seasons and at age 31 his window for being part of a championship team continues to get smaller. It will be very interesting to see if the coaching change gets them closer to competing for a title. Just an observation but their team is way too small in the backcourt.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:25 am

Trade Al straight up for Dame. Point guard problem solved. Red might have been able to pull of such a heist. No other living GM could.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:52 am

worcester wrote:Trade Al straight up for Dame. Point guard problem solved. Red might have been able to pull of such a heist. No other living GM could.

Dame will command a King's ransom. Red was the Master of the deal.

The Blazers will not be looking to trade him. Can you imagine that Chauncey would go for that.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down