Jayson Tatum Says World Needs More Role Models of Fathers Being 'Present': 'Show You Can Do Both'

+3
NYCelt
RosalieTCeltics
gyso
7 posters

Go down

Jayson Tatum Says World Needs More Role Models of Fathers Being 'Present': 'Show You Can Do Both' Empty Jayson Tatum Says World Needs More Role Models of Fathers Being 'Present': 'Show You Can Do Both'

Post by gyso Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:37 am

https://people.com/parents/jayson-tatum-says-world-needs-more-role-models-present-fathers/

Jayson Tatum welcomed son Deuce on Dec. 6, 2017, just six months after he was drafted by the Boston Celtics
By Georgia Slater
June 08, 2022 01:25 PM

Jayson Tatum Says World Needs More Role Models of Fathers Being 'Present': 'Show You Can Do Both' Scree300

Jayson Tatum is opening up about his sweet relationship with 4-year-old son Deuce.

The NBA star, who welcomed Deuce in December 2017 just six months after he was drafted by the Boston Celtics, spoke about being a role model as a dad and close bond with his son in a press conference on Tuesday.

"I think 2017 when I got drafted, I didn't have Deuce, but he was born in 2017 so that was big, that was the biggest year of my life, right? Starting this new chapter in my career, I just had a child," Tatum explained. "My mindset was not to sacrifice either, that I was going to be the best father as I could as well as the best basketball player. There was no guideline or there was no exact way to do it. It was all about what was natural."

"I just do what's natural. I'm around him every day. I think being able to go through this journey together, because I was 19 when I got drafted, it's kind of like we're growing up together," he continues. "As he's gotten older, I'm going through my career, sharing these moments, experiencing this together as we grow up. I think it's the coolest part for me."

The athlete says is also aware of his platform as a professional athlete and thinks it's "great" if he's a role model to other young fathers across the globe.

Jayson Tatum Says World Needs More Role Models of Fathers Being 'Present': 'Show You Can Do Both' Scree301

"I think we need more role models like that. Just to have more male fathers be present and things like that, show that you can do both, regardless of whenever you work, whatever your profession is," he says.

Tatum was 19 when he welcomed his son Deuce, who has since become a big hit with the Celtics and with players across the NBA.

Speaking with reporters during the 2022 NBA All-Star Weekend in February, Tatum said he wasn't expecting his son to be so popular.

"It's cool and he enjoys it," he explained in a clip shared on Twitter by The Boston Globe. "Every time he comes to a home game, people cheer when they see him. They scream his name when he comes to games on the road and here at All-Star [Weekend]. He has his own personality."

He later added, "On the court [I want Deuce to remember me as] ... a competitor, somebody that just always wanted to win. Every time he comes to the game, he sees how I give it my all, I'm doing everything I can in my power to help us win. Because as he gets older, team, sports, that's what's most important is winning and everything else besides that will follow."

It is just weird to suggest that our problems on the court are due to this young fellah being next to it. For those who are looking for scapegoats, please look somewhere else. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Jayson Tatum Says World Needs More Role Models of Fathers Being 'Present': 'Show You Can Do Both' Empty Re: Jayson Tatum Says World Needs More Role Models of Fathers Being 'Present': 'Show You Can Do Both'

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:44 am

I believe we are going to find out later that Tatum is hurt. There is no way this kid fades away in the series of his lifetime without a reason. AND, NO, HE IS NOT AN A...... tiring of that foolish, stupid statement. Even if he was having a bad series, he does not deserve to be called such vile names.

Getting to the point of maybe just watching and leave the postings to the negative "fans" out there

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Jayson Tatum Says World Needs More Role Models of Fathers Being 'Present': 'Show You Can Do Both' Empty Re: Jayson Tatum Says World Needs More Role Models of Fathers Being 'Present': 'Show You Can Do Both'

Post by NYCelt Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:19 pm

How can anyone not have the utmost respect Tatum?

Being a father and role model first. This is a great young man to have representing an iconic sports franchise.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:13 pm

Tatum is a father and he’s being a father. Since when do you get a star on your forehead for that? What is so unusual about what he’s doing?
People shining a spotlight on a child that needs to grow as a child. All of this is unusual for a kid that age.
Great, he’s taking care of his son like a dad is supposed to do.
However, his son does not belong on the court during the national anthem.
His son does not belong on the bench. His son does not belong on the floor during warmups kicking other players on their legs.
It’s inappropriate and quite frankly unprofessional.
I’ll leave it at this and you can read into it if you desire.

I respect and admire Tatum for who he is and what he’s accomplished. I have no additional admiration for him as a dad being a dad. That too is his job.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:32 pm

I’d rather he shut up and just play good basketball

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:44 pm

Thee article also says that he wants Deuce to remember him as a competitor. 
The kids not even watching the game.
That may apply to 12 and over but not a 5 yr old. I find the whole article condescending.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:50 pm

Ktron wrote:Tatum is a father and he’s being a father. Since when do you get a star on your forehead for that? What is so unusual about what he’s doing?
People shining a spotlight on a child that needs to grow as a child. All of this is unusual for a kid that age.
Great, he’s taking care of his son like a dad is supposed to do.
However, his son does not belong on the court during the national anthem.
His son does not belong on the bench. His son does not belong on the floor during warmups kicking other players on their legs.
It’s inappropriate and quite frankly unprofessional.
I’ll leave it at this and you can read into it if you desire.

I respect and admire Tatum for who he is and what he’s accomplished. I have no additional admiration for him as a dad being a dad. That too is his job.

In total agreement…100%

And as an aside, players please stop with the kids at the post game presser. They are children, not props. And besides, you the player are still “on the job” and so are the members of the media. Have more respect for your and their workplace.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:58 pm

I am not making a political reference even though I have very strong political views. In the bubble, when we lost to Miami, BLM was front and center and we know that JB is active in that cause. He did not play well in later game and we lost. These playoffs, JB stated that everything else in his life is on hold. He is totally focused on the playoffs.

At this level of competition, that is needed. Tatum’s focus is being questioned and then we are attributing reasons for that. Bottom line is that we need a focused Tatum.

Go Celtics.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:27 pm

NBA players have had their kids at playoff games and at the podium after a game for years.

From 2016:

The Definitive Ranking Of The NBA's Cutest Kids

https://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2016/02/22/nba-kids-ranking-children

From 2018:

Jayson Tatum Says World Needs More Role Models of Fathers Being 'Present': 'Show You Can Do Both' Scree302

From this year after a Bucks game:

There is no need for anger and other whatever about this situation.  It is what it is.

The world has moved on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:48 pm

Censorship appears to have remained.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down