Ktron
sinus007
worcester
dboss
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
10 posters

Go down

Cedric Maxwell approves of these potential Jaylen Brown trades Empty Cedric Maxwell approves of these potential Jaylen Brown trades

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:21 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/cedric-maxwell-approves-potential-jaylen-211427870.html

Cedric Maxwell approves of these potential Jaylen Brown trades

Justin Leger
Mon, July 19, 2021, 2:14 PM

The Boston Celtics already have shaken things up quite a bit this offseason, but more moves are expected to be made before their 2021-22 season gets underway.

Jayson Tatum is the only player on the Celtics roster that may be considered "untouchable" in trade talks. Everyone else, including All-Star wing Jaylen Brown, could be available if teams call up newly-appointed president of basketball operations Brad Stevens with an offer he can't refuse.

Obviously, it'd take a significant return to part ways with a player of Brown's caliber. The 24-year-old has improved each year since he entered the league in 2016. That said, C's great Cedric Maxwell would be open to trading Brown if the right deal is on the table.

On "Sports Sunday," Michael Felger asked Maxwell about specific players around the NBA and whether he'd trade Brown to acquire them.

First up, Washington Wizards star Bradley Beal.

"No," Maxwell said. "When I say that, I want somebody who's going to contrast Tatum. I want a rebounder. I want someone who's going to block some shots. Beal is a scorer."

How about Portland Trail Blazers star Damian Lillard?

"Damian Lillard I want," Maxwell answered. "He's one of the top 10 players in the league right now. ... This is what this team needs. It needs a sense of urgency and needs somebody who's going to be mean and nasty out there."

Brown for Minnesota Timberwolves big man Karl-Anthony Towns?

"I'd do that," Maxwell said. "I'd do that because again, I have a contrast. What I know is Karl-Anthony Towns is mean. When's the last fight you saw in the NBA? That was Karl-Anthony Towns and the guy down in Philadelphia (Joel Embiid), and you're going 'Wow, those two guys fought?' You don't see that in the NBA."

And lastly, what about Philadelphia 76ers guard Ben Simmons?

"Not on this earth," Maxwell replied. "The guy can't shoot, he can't rebound, he's a broken guy and you're bringing him to this team to do what? No."

Simmons actually averaged 7.2 rebounds per game in 2020-21, which put him third among all NBA point guards. Still, Maxwell's point is well taken.

Check out the full segment below:

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Cedric Maxwell approves of these potential Jaylen Brown trades Empty Re: Cedric Maxwell approves of these potential Jaylen Brown trades

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:00 am

Max is an idiot, Lillard has 3 good years left, Jaylen has 8

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Cedric Maxwell approves of these potential Jaylen Brown trades Empty Re: Cedric Maxwell approves of these potential Jaylen Brown trades

Post by dboss Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:22 am

When Boston stated that they have decided to build their team around their two young studs I take them at their word.  That seems like a great decision.  The process of building around them has already begun.

As much as I like Lillard, I would not trade JB for him.  I would love to have him on the Celtics but only if the J's are both still there.

How about KAT.  Same answer.  

Danny Ainge drafted a lot of players when he was at the helm of the Celtics.  Two guys became allstars.  (Rondo was not drafted by Boston)

Do the Celtics need to have a 'big 3' to get to the championship?  Can they get there with a big 2 plus really solid talent 2-13?

It's a good question and if the answer is yes then you are not going to trade Jaylen Brown.  You are going to put yourself in a position where you can have the CAP space to sign a 3rd star or you are going to put yourself in a position where you have sufficient assets to make a trade for that 3rd star.  

Danny went through several rounds of adding guys that could have been part of a big 3 contingent but it happened before the two young studs became stars themselves.  In some respects it was like putting the cart before the horse.

Now I can envisioned a continuation of a process to develop some of the young talent on this team, acquire draft assets and use those things to find that 3rd piece.  This scenario may be the best reason to hold onto EF.

The one thing that could alter the need to add a 3rd star would be if one of the young guys on this team develops into a 3rd star.  

I'm rambling on a rainy day in Georgia.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:40 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Max is an idiot, Lillard has 3 good years left, Jaylen has 8

+1
The problem with Max is that he sees Jaylen and Jayson as being the same player but they are not the same player. The most valuable players to have on your team are guys who play multiple positions at BOTH ends of the court. Maxwell misses the mark especially when it comes to Jaylen Brown. I think that the NBA has passed him by just like so many other former players. His basketball mind remains in the 1980's.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:39 am

dboss wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Max is an idiot, Lillard has 3 good years left, Jaylen has 8

+1
The problem with Max is that he sees Jaylen and Jayson as being the same player but they are not the same player.  The most valuable players to have on your team are guys who play multiple positions at BOTH ends of the court.  Maxwell misses the mark especially when it comes to Jaylen Brown.  I think that the NBA has passed him by just like so many other former players.  His basketball mind remains in the 1980's.  

Jaylen is that rare breed of player that has integrity/humanitarian dreams beyond basketball. While he would be the first to admit he doesn’t have all the answers, the way he conducts himself is similar to the Havlicek/Jeter mold. Plus he has as many physical gifts/talent as any wing in the game and is only going to get better. You don’t trade pieces like that.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:47 am

Yes, JB at 24 is a much better long term asset than Dame at 31. Duh.

The criticism of Jayson for feeling slighted and not making an all NBA team is NOT justified. JT's gripes are.
I hope Jayson does not think those two clown sportscasters represent the opinions of Boston fans.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:42 pm

Hi,
I thought he, CM, already voiced his opinion on trading JB a few weeks ago. And we discussed it here.
At that time, being polite, I started my comment with "with all due respect". Now I'm totally in agreement with Cow and Dboss.
The only excuse he may have is absence of any news, actions, etc about Celtics (if you don't count JT's participation in the Olympics). But as one very smart person said: "If you don't have anything to say, don't"

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:05 pm

dboss wrote:

+1
The problem with Max is that he sees Jaylen and Jayson as being the same player but they are not the same player.  The most valuable players to have on your team are guys who play multiple positions at BOTH ends of the court.  Maxwell misses the mark especially when it comes to Jaylen Brown.  I think that the NBA has passed him by just like so many other former players.  His basketball mind remains in the 1980's.  

People always say that the game has passed a player by when that player happens to say something that sounds far fetched and we don’t agree with. I don’t agree with some of those trade ideas either but I’ll pay a little more attention to someone who has played in the NBA for many years and is still involved on the broadcast end. Does some of the stuff that Perk and Max say sound crazy? Some of it does but they played and we didn’t. If they took the time to peruse this board they’re probably think most of us are idiots too. The difference is is that they have cache’ and we have arm chair opinions. It’s okay to disagree but I highly doubt the game has passed him or most EX NBA players by.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:10 pm

Right, Dame has about 3 good years left if that. Lets see where we are 3 years from today. We all want to see this team improve and win. To me if that means making a big trade involving a player that I love than I say do it. Ain’t no guarantee that the 2 J’s are going to bring a title or even be here long enough to accomplish that. Welcome to the modern day NBA.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:21 am

Did Popovich play the game, did Red? Playing the game is so overrated for being an expert at analyzing/coaching/managing/talking the game. Ever hear Scal talk? You think he knows more than Hubie Brown? A great coach knows how to see the game and see things the players may not notice, but need to be aware of to succeed; whether you played at the highest level or not, does not make you have that skill. Frank Kaminsky looked good tonight, who drafted him? Would any other executive get that many chances if he wasn’t you know who? I doubt it

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:25 am

Ktron wrote:Right, Dame has about 3 good years left if that. Lets see where we are 3 years from today. We all want to see this team improve and win. To me if that means making a big trade involving a player that I love than I say do it. Ain’t no guarantee that the 2 J’s are going to bring a title or even be here long enough to accomplish that. Welcome to the modern day NBA.

Ain’t no guarantee getting say a Dame for Jaylen guarantees a title either, especially when you don’t know Jaylen’s ceiling

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:29 am

Frank Kaminsky is one of the few bigs in the game even weaker all around than Kelly Olynck

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:23 am

Yes, Frank the Tank adds new meaning to the word Tank, and its not the General Patton connotation.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:14 am

We should all be grateful to Frank's skillset.  If MJ and Company didn't covet Frank over multiple draftpicks, we wouldn't have had the two J's and all the fun in the last 2 - 3 seasons.  We would have instead been frustrated with both Danny Ainge and Justise Winslow over the years and by now, JW most likely would have been traded away.

"After all the intelligence we'd done, we were comfortable with Frank."

All we would have now is a wish sandwich.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/7/28/9058035/charlotte-hornets-frank-kaminsky-trade-celtics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:16 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
Ktron wrote:Right, Dame has about 3 good years left if that. Lets see where we are 3 years from today. We all want to see this team improve and win. To me if that means making a big trade involving a player that I love than I say do it. Ain’t no guarantee that the 2 J’s are going to bring a title or even be here long enough to accomplish that. Welcome to the modern day NBA.

Ain’t no guarantee getting say a Dame for Jaylen guarantees a title either, especially when you don’t know Jaylen’s ceiling
. True

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:24 pm

gyso wrote:We should all be grateful to Frank's skillset.  If MJ and Company didn't covet Frank over multiple draftpicks, we wouldn't have had the two J's and all the fun in the last 2 - 3 seasons.  We would have instead been frustrated with both Danny Ainge and Justise Winslow over the years and by now, JW most likely would have been traded away.

"After all the intelligence we'd done, we were comfortable with Frank."

All we would have now is a wish sandwich.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/7/28/9058035/charlotte-hornets-frank-kaminsky-trade-celtics

Never thought about it that way - interesting take.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:57 am

I pay no mind to what Cedric Maxwell has to say. He sees the game thru 1980 eyes. This is a different NBA than when he was playing. He has never put much credence into the value of a certain player because of what may come, instead of what already is. Damian Lillard will either stay in Portland or go to a team like GSW, where he might be thrown into the mix for a title. No different than when Durant left OKC. He has his eyes on a ring, period. Coming to Boston is not a sure fire guarantee the way playing with Curry and Thompson and Green is. There is the idea that he will be their missing link to another title run.

Max is making the rounds on all of the talk shows. He loves hearing himself talk, loves throwing out those trade ideas, but has no power or even any real push to influence the powers that be. He is a talking head, making money by shooting off his mouth
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:26 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I pay no mind to what Cedric Maxwell has to say.  He sees the game thru 1980 eyes.  This is a different NBA than when he was playing. He has never put much credence into the value of a certain player because of what may come, instead of what already is.  Damian Lillard will either stay in Portland or go to a team like GSW, where he might be thrown into the mix for a title. No different than when Durant left OKC.  He has his eyes on a ring, period. Coming to Boston is not a sure fire guarantee the way playing with Curry and Thompson and Green is.  There is the idea that he will be their missing link to another title run.

Max is making the rounds on all of the talk shows. He loves hearing himself talk, loves throwing out those trade ideas, but has no power or even any real push to influence the powers that be. He is a talking head, making money by shooting off his mouth

I think I have now reached the point where the only comments I want to make on this board are '+1', 'I Agree' or 'Me Too' after a Rosalie post.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:37 am

I’m glad I don’t have to watch him, his trade ideas have been idiotic, he keeps on talking himself out of any real job in management…his calls sound like a blabbering high school kid who doesn’t know sh.t

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:24 pm

Ive never heard Max say he wanted to be in management. Opine Cache’ Baby!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down