Cedric Maxwell signs three-season deal to call Celtics games

+2
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Cedric Maxwell signs three-season deal to call Celtics games Empty Cedric Maxwell signs three-season deal to call Celtics games

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:28 am

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/report-broadcaster-cedric-maxwell-signs-191317808.html

Report: Broadcaster Cedric Maxwell signs three-season deal to call Celtics games

Justin Quinn

Mon, August 14, 2023 at 12:13 PM PDT·1 min read

It might be the last season we get to see longtime Boston Celtics broadcaster Mike Gorman calling games for the Celtics, but Boston fans got some reassuring news that the change to the Celtics broadcasting crew will not be too drastic any time soon with Boston broadcasting veteran and former Celtics champion Cedric Maxwell inking a new deal to call games for the next three seasons according to new reporting from MassLive’s Brian Robb.

Maxwell, who won two titles with Boston in the early 1980s in the first half of his 11-season career in the league, got into broadcasting after his playing career ended in 1988 and has been calling games for radio with fellow WEEI cohost Sean Grande since 2001.

Maxwell also cohosts the CLNS Media “Cedric Maxwell” podcast with Josue Pavon, where the Kinston native can be heard offering up a broader scope of analysis.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Beating Ktron to the punch here.  He's the board's "media savvy" go-to guy.  I'm sure he'd have posted this if I didn't.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Cedric Maxwell signs three-season deal to call Celtics games Empty Re: Cedric Maxwell signs three-season deal to call Celtics games

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:18 pm

I almost beat you to it Bob, just got busy this morning. Still does not indicate if Grande will take over for Mike, or if he will continue to be a radio guy. There are still some questions to be filled in here. I am not sure the world is ready for Scal to take over, alot of soundless games if he is offered the job. The thing is.....I always understood that Max and Grande were under contract with the Celtics, as were Mike and Tommy. Now, I wonder who has the say here NBC Sports Boston or the Celtics over who calls their games on television There is a guy, John ?? who works with Max on the radio when Grande moves over. I do not have alot of trust in NBC, their choices leave me scratching my head sometime. Eddie and Scal????????? please God, no
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Cedric Maxwell signs three-season deal to call Celtics games Empty Re: Cedric Maxwell signs three-season deal to call Celtics games

Post by Ktron Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:56 pm

Happy that Max signed on for another 3 years. Max is colorful but he needs to keep up with the evolution of the game. He does know the game but he needs to stay plugged in because some of his commentary is dated.

Thats really my only negative and despite that I like him as a color commentator.

I don’t care too much for his podcast. He and Josue need to work on content.
There is way too much kidding around and inside dialogue with Josue who has a bad habit of interrupting.

I really hope that NBC has a short list of candidates for Mike’s position.
Sean may end up with the gig but they really need to look at other candidates as well.
Sean is great on the radio but still has problems converting to TV PBP where less talk equates to more.

I will admit that I think Scal has improved in some areas but he still has a long way to go and thats if he’s capable of raising the bar.

I still don’t believe he’s been coached properly if he has been coached at all.
He’s been doing TV/Radio long enough to have learned how to orchestrate and know what the viewer/listeners expectations are from him. He still doesn't get it.

I think Eddie would be excellent as a color analyst but NOT with Scal.

It’s my understanding that the team has say on who the analyst and the PBP.
I believe NBC has input and certainly has autonomy when hiring talent who work pre and post game shows as well as other network positions.
Celtics management may have input on studio talent but they do work directly for NBC.
I don't know for a fact because some team and broadcasters have various ways of managing/choosing talent.

Based on the number of PBP and analysts over the years that have been canned or suspended by teams they work directly for, I’d venture to say that the team has final say.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:25 pm

I really wish they would reconsider the job they have given to Amena Smith. I find her to be a mouth piece, repeating what others say, not much basketball knowledge, and at times irritating. She calls everyone by their last name, and it is a fit I wish the station would look at a little harder at the content. My other comment is, I do hope Perk's involvement with the team is minimal at best this year. He is working to build his name, period. Move on big guy, you get ridiculous with some of your statements, just trying to be controversial.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:28 pm

I find Perk much tamer and more candid when he does Celtics ganes as opposed to the ESPN and national stuff where he tends to conduct a side show for his employers.
If Perk was a solid broadcaster with limited experience ESPN wouldn’t have even given him a second look.
They and Fox hire entertainers.
It’s too bad because Perk really knows the game.

I happen to like Amina Smith. She’s tried to be objective and I like that she’ll allow the co-hosts and the guest co-hosts to go at it without jumping into the fray until they’ll done filibustering.

I also thinks she knows the game pretty well.

She’s covered news and sports for 11 yrs and is still pretty young

She’s also married to Deon Bush of the Chicago Bears

I think it comes down to a matter of taste.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:01 am

I think she i a follower, and do not enjoy her at all. personally, i really don't care who she is married to...... She repeats what the other guys have to say on the show and really? you think she knows the game of basketball? Won't convince me of that at all
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:50 am

Good for Max. As for TV I guess since its Mike's last year he has to work with Scal. After that ditch Scal and put in Eddie to work with Grande.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:01 pm

Everyone has an opinion about who they like best. No need to be adversarial about it.

Personally I can dislike a tv/radio talents personality but still acknowledge their strong skill set and that they are good at what they do.
Some of them are damn good at what they do.
(Ex: JJ Reddick).

If one thinks a host is a follower then you have a right to your opinion.

I won’t challenge that opinion but I will challenge when its implied as fact.

I for one do not know what a follower is when it comes to a broadcaster.

Will you please explain what that means?

“She calls everybody buy their last names”.

I tend to watch and listen to Amina and other talent  from various perspectives and Amina does not refer to EVERYBODY by their last names. Thats fact.

“She repeats what other guys have to say on the show”?

They all tend to repeat each other at times. If one tries putting ones bias aside and care to focus on substance it will be become apparent.

I know, it’s hard. Fandom gets in the way.

When critiquing a talent I try to point out what I feel that they are good at and why I feel that way by siting examples.

Same if I feel that they need improvement in specific areas- and why.

If we are going to honestly critique someone’s abilities it might be a good idea to leave our personal feelings on the shelf.

I mentioned that Amina was married to Deon Bush. It was not to substantiate anything. Just thought it would be good to know for those who didn't know.
Thats all.

I personally don’t care if someone else cares.

C17. I do agree with your points btw.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:33 pm

Ktron,

If we are going to honestly critique someone’s abilities it might be a good idea to leave our personal feelings on the shelf.

That is an odd ask to make on a chat board.

That is all anybody has, feelings and opinions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:24 pm

gyso wrote:Ktron,

That is an odd ask to make on a chat board.  

That is all anybody has, feelings and opinions.

Personal feelings?

Who’s abilities are you referring to the talent we are critiquing or folks on this forum.

Addendum: Give it a reread (not just my post) and tell me again that I’m the one and the only getting personal. Where? Wow…..

Last edited by Ktron on Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:29 pm; edited 3 times in total

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:50 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I really wish they would reconsider the job they have given to Amena Smith.  I find her to be a mouth piece, repeating what others say, not much basketball knowledge, and at times irritating. She calls everyone by their last name, and it is a fit I wish the station would look at a little harder at the content.  My other comment is, I do hope Perk's involvement with the team is minimal at best this year. He is working to build his name, period.  Move on big guy, you get ridiculous with some of your statements, just trying to be controversial.

Rosie

I disagree with you opinion about Amena Smith. Certainly not easy for a female to strike a good balance between knowledge and not upsetting the male dominated shopping cart. I think she has done a good job and recall numerous times where she took exception to the dribble coming out of Eddie and Scals mouths.

As far as Maxwell getting the extension, I am happy for him but I remain pissed off at him and perk for playing around in traffic about Jaylen Brown.

that's it... over and out!

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:07 pm

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I have stated mine, this is a closed subject for me
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:23 pm

dboss wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:I really wish they would reconsider the job they have given to Amena Smith.  I find her to be a mouth piece, repeating what others say, not much basketball knowledge, and at times irritating. She calls everyone by their last name, and it is a fit I wish the station would look at a little harder at the content.  My other comment is, I do hope Perk's involvement with the team is minimal at best this year. He is working to build his name, period.  Move on big guy, you get ridiculous with some of your statements, just trying to be controversial.

Rosie

I  disagree with you opinion about Amena Smith.  Certainly not easy for a female to strike a good balance between knowledge and not upsetting the male dominated shopping cart.  I think she has done a good job and recall numerous times where she took exception to the dribble coming out of Eddie and Scals mouths.

As far as Maxwell getting the extension, I am happy for him but I remain pissed off at him and perk for playing around in traffic about Jaylen Brown.

that's it... over and out!

Dboss, Not only is she great, Ive recently seen Amina’s Q score and it is through the roof. So like her or not she’s up and coming. I can almost guarantee that!!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down