Celtics Sharpshooter of the Year: Payton Pritchard

3 posters

Go down

Celtics Sharpshooter of the Year: Payton Pritchard Empty Celtics Sharpshooter of the Year: Payton Pritchard

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:51 am

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/misc-071921-2021-awards-series-sharpshooter-year-payton-pritchard

Celtics Sharpshooter of the Year: Payton Pritchard Pritchard_8

Sharpshooter of the Year: Payton Pritchard

By Taylor Snow |  @taylorcsnow
Celtics.com
July 19, 2021

Rookies often go through an adjustment period as they transition from the college 3-point line to that of the NBA. However, such was not the case for Payton Pritchard during his first season with the Boston Celtics.

Boston had high hopes for its 26th overall draft pick, but no one could have expected Pritchard to be so efficient throughout his first professional campaign, as he led the team in 3-point percentage, finished second behind Kemba Walker in free-throw accuracy, and overall, had one of the best shooting seasons by a rookie in franchise history.

That is why Pritchard is our Sharpshooter of the Year.

After emerging from a four-year college career at the University of Oregon, where he had established himself as one of the most prolific 3-point shooters in Pac-12 history, Pritchard entered the NBA and did not skip a beat. He made a tremendous impression among his peers right off the bat during Day 1 of Training Camp, as both Marcus Smart and Brad Stevens praised his hardworking habits. For them, it was only a taste of what was yet to come.

Pritchard stepped into the rotation right away, helping to fill in for Walker who was rehabbing from offseason knee surgery. He didn’t shy away from the opportunity, making five of his first seven 3-point attempts, and erupting for a 23-point, eight-assist effort against Toronto on Jan. 4 in what was just the eighth game of his career.

Through his first 18 contests, Pritchard averaged 8.4 points per game while shooting 49.5 percent from the field, 46.9 percent from 3-point range, and 91.7 percent from the free-throw line, which put him on pace to potentially become the first rookie in NBA history to achieve a 50/40/90 season.

Pritchard hit a bit of a wall midway through the season, like many rookies do, but he recovered with a strong finish. In his last 17 regular-season games, he averaged 10.6 PPG while shooting 43.0 percent from deep. He had 10 double-digit scoring efforts during that stretch, including a career-best 28 points against Oklahoma City on April 27.

Pritchard finished the season with averages of 7.7 points, 2.4 rebounds, and 1.8 assists per game, along with shooting clips of 44.0 percent from the field, 41.1 percent from 3-point range, and 88.9 percent from the charity stripe, while playing 19.2 minutes per game.

The only players who achieved higher 3-point clips were midseason departure Jeff Teague (46.4 percent) and midseason acquisition Evan Fournier (46.3 percent), making Pritchard the most efficient 3-point shooter among Boston’s full-time players. Equally as impressive was his efficiency from the free-throw line, where he only trailed Walker’s mark of 89.9 percent.

From a historic perspective, Pritchard had one of the best all-around shooting seasons ever by a Celtics rookie.

With 102 makes from beyond the arc, Prichard finished just three 3-pointers shy of Tatum’s rookie record. However, he would have smashed Tatum’s mark of 105 had this not been a shortened regular season. He also became just the fifth rookie in franchise history to shoot at least 40 percent from 3-point range while attempting at least 100 such shots, joining Jayson Tatum (43.4 percent), Allan Ray (41.4 percent), Paul Pierce (41.2 percent) and Larry Bird (40.6 percent).

From a league-wide standpoint, he had the second-highest 3-point percentage among NBA rookies who played at least 15 minutes per game, trailing only Memphis’ Desmond Bane (43.2 percent). He was also one of two rookies who shot at least 40 percent from 3 and 85 percent from the free-throw line, along with Tyrese Haliburton. And he finished second in free-throw percentage among rookies who attempted more than 25 such shots on the season.

One other aspect of Pritchard’s shooting to note is that he was efficient from all areas beyond the arc. He shot 47.1 percent from the right corner, 45.5 percent from the left corner, and 40.5 percent from above the break, so he essentially had no cold zones.

It’s unusual to see a rookie shoot so accurately all across the court, but Pritchard’s seamless transition from college into the pros made that possible. He stepped up right away in Boston, posting team-leading shooting marks while also reaching historic rookie milestones, which led to his well-deserved earning of our Sharpshooter of the Year award.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Shooting is the most easily transferable skill to the NBA.  It is also the most teachable.  I am going to be looking at Pritchard's floor generalship more this year.  I'm not expecting a huge improvement, but I do want him to be a bit more assertive when it comes to running the offense.  Last year he deferred to Tatum too much, IMO.  I realize why, he was a rookie without even Summer League and an abbreviated pre-season, but that was then and this is now.  He knows he can play in the NBA now.  He knows how NBA defenses work, at least some.  He's supremely confident in his ballhandling, as he should be, now he needs to show he can use it to engage his teammates.  I'm feeling very hopeful and upbeat about this.  He's a smart, hardworking, focused kid who will now be working with a coaching staff, Ime and Stoudemire, he has known since AAU.

What's a bit ironic is that we all expected Nesmith to be the sharpshooter, but it was Pritchard instead.  Part of the source of my overall optimism is because of what I said above, how shooting is transferable.  Nesmith is still a sharpshooter, he didn't lose that skill, he just got off to a slow start.  He finished strong, though.  In the end he averaged 37% from 3 for last season.  That's about league average.  But through the first 24 games of the season (that's 1/3 of a 72 games season) Nesmith shot 9-for-29 from 3 (31%).  In the next 24 games he shot 12-for-34 (35%) from 3 and in the final 1/3 of the season he shot 19-for-45 (42%).  His 3pt fg% improved steadily and impressively as he figured it all out and got more minutes and his 3pt fgas increased with his additional minutes too.  Pritchard was supposed to be the slow starter, being drafted #26 and all, but he started off hot.  This means we have TWO sharpshooters and not just the one.  They just bloomed in a different order than we expected.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Sharpshooter of the Year: Payton Pritchard Empty Re: Celtics Sharpshooter of the Year: Payton Pritchard

Post by dboss Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:11 pm

I am very happy for PP.  

His 4 years of college prepared him to hit the ground running.

PP was 5th among PG's in his 3 point shooting accuracy.

https://www.espn.com/nba/stats/player/_/season/2021/seasontype/2/position/point-guard/table/offensive/sort/threePointFieldGoalPct/dir/desc

An argument could be made that Boston does not need to find a starting PG.  In absence of a trade Boston may add a low cost BU veteran level player from the FA pool.

There remains a lot of unknowns on this team.  Coach Udoka and head guy Stevens may need a longer look see review.  However some things cannot wait for certainty.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Celtics Sharpshooter of the Year: Payton Pritchard Empty Re: Celtics Sharpshooter of the Year: Payton Pritchard

Post by sinus007 Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:15 pm

Hi,
My only "beef" with PP, beside all usual rookie things, is his hesitation on 3pt shooting. I hope with experience he'll overcome it.
The same, even in greater degree, applies to Nesmith. That split-second hesitation and, they either miss or pass or drive to the hoop.
I'm pretty sure they're capable to shoot 3pt at 40+ rate easy.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:52 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
My only "beef" with PP, beside all usual rookie things, is his hesitation on 3pt shooting. I hope with experience he'll overcome it.
The same, even in greater degree, applies to Nesmith. That split-second hesitation and, they either miss or pass or drive to the hoop.
I'm pretty sure they're capable to shoot 3pt at 40+ rate easy.

AK

sinus,

Stat check:

Rookie (actual mpg)......................3pt fgas/36mpg.........3pt fg%.........Total 3pt fgas.......Total minutes
Payton Pritchard (19.2)--------------7.0---------------------41.1------------248----------------1268
Desmond Bane (22.3)---------------6.4---------------------43.2------------271----------------1519
Tyrese Haliburton (30.1)------------6.1---------------------40.9------------296-----------------1746
Lamelo Ball (28.eight)---------------6.4---------------------35.2------------261----------------1469
Immanuel Quickley (19.4)----------8.8---------------------38.9------------303-----------------1243

Of the top rookies shooting 3s, Pritchard is 2nd in 3pt fgas/minute of play.  That's not very shy.
Two players played a lot more minutes than him (Haliburton and Bane) and another played about 16% more (Ball).  Quickley launched a lot more 3s than anybody except Haliburton despite Haliburton playing 50% more mpg.  Quickley shot A LOT of 3s.  He also shot a good, but not great, fg% on them.  

Bottom line:  Other than Immanuel Quickley, Payton Pritchard holds his own in launching them and in hitting them and I'm confident playing for coaches he's known for half his life will do nothing but encourage him further.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:55 pm

Sinus007

You make a good point about Nesmith. The game started to slow down for him and then he started to shoot much better. PP of course had 4 years of college ball and that extra years of experience was noticeable.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down