cowens/oldschool
Ktron
RosalieTCeltics
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jabari Parker waived Empty Jabari Parker waived

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:49 pm

Per Celtics Blog just now, the Celtics are waiving Parker. His $100,000 will go on the cap, but his $2.3 million remaining will not

Too bad, I wanted him to stick around. What's up, we have 14 players right now
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Jabari Parker waived Empty Re: Jabari Parker waived

Post by Ktron Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:31 pm

Obviously this was likely to incentivize management to save money. Rosters around the league are pretty much set so Its a bit cold blooded because they waited until now to do it which cuts down the probability of Parker signing with another team.
Optics are not cute.
It’s too bad. I thought he played well.

Last edited by Ktron on Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:31 pm

I would use that space to get a big

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:07 pm

Ktron wrote:Obviously this was likely to incentivize management to save money. Rosters around the league are pretty much set so Its a bit cold blooded because they waited until now to do it which cuts down the probability of Parker signing with another team.
Optics are not cute.
It’s too bad. I thought he played well.
Wish they had done this much sooner.  He did not play badly.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:39 pm

Management must think they can find a better player.

That said, I was hoping he'd stick.

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:51 pm

Colr me surprised. They now have a regular roster spot and a two way available. They cut Pinson, and Matthews refused a two way. Unless they have somebody in mind, this is unfathomable. We shall see. In any case, this is really unfair to Jabari. Players around the league will notice, as they did the IT situation.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:08 am

https://nesn.com/2021/10/nba-rumors-celtics-waive-jabari-parker-now-eyeing-big-man/

NBA Rumors: Celtics Waive Jabari Parker; Now Eyeing Big Man?

Harry Giles might make a lot of sense for the C's

by Logan Mullen

10 hours ago

The Boston Celtics on Sunday reportedly cut Jabari Parker, and it appears there’s a specific intention in mind.

Parker’s contract was set to become guaranteed if the Celtics didn’t waive him before opening night, and with him set to become an end-of-the-bench player, Boston instead decided to move on, according to The Boston Globe.

That means the Celtics now have a vacant two-way roster spot available. Having already waived a number of camp invites, it appears the intention is to use that spot on a player outside of the organization.

According to NBA Insider Keith Smith, the uncertainty around Al Horford and Robert Williams has Boston thinking of adding a big man.

“There has been some buzz that the Celtics are looking at adding another big man, given the uncertainty of Al Horford’s early-season availability,” Smith tweeted Sunday afternoon. “Robert Williams’ recent knee soreness likely factors in here as well.”

Who, specifically, the Celtics would add is unclear, but the most logical possibility is Harry Giles, a fourth-year big man who was waived by the Los Angeles Clippers on Saturday.

A move presumably could be coming soon, as the Celtics open the regular season Wednesday against the New York Knicks.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Harry Giles played with Tatum @ Duke.  I suspect signing him would make Tatum very happy, which is a priority for Brad.  Maybe having his old college teammate chirping in his ear will motivate him?  He was the #20 pick in the 2017 draft, so "rotation player to fringe NBA player" is about right for where players picked there generally are, so his being cut shouldn't be a shocker (exceptions are there, of course.  Pritchard is an NBA player and he was #26, but that's not normal for a player drafted that far down.  The draft may be a crap shoot but even rolling dice has some math behind it).

Harry Giles, 6'11", 240#, 7'4" wingspan, 23 1/2 years old.

It's hard to make assumptions about a player on a bad team, and the Sacramento Queens are perennially that.  How do we know if he really sucks or if it's the system he played in wasn't right for his skill sets?  I think Brad and Ime are worried about the defense of our bigs more than anything.  If Horford and/or RWill miss a lot of games for whatever reasons we are left with Kanter (a poor defender), Grant (who will be even worse defending the rim now that he lost 15# as he was told to do by Ime so he could play with more mobility), Gomez (hasn't impressed me with his defense so far) and fringe player Bruno Fernando.  Due to Horford's age and RWill's fragility our baseline defense is very unpredictable and, clearly, Parker still didn't get enough defensive religion in his stint with the Celtics to impress.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:32 am

The open roster spot could be used to add a guy by using one of many TPE's.

Boston does not have to do anything immediately.

I am less than thrilled with Hernangomez.  He does have a very tradeable contract.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:57 am

I told you guys getting rid of Moses Brown was a bad move…..

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:09 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:I told you guys getting rid of Moses Brown was a bad move…..

Don't despair, we still have Bruno Fernando! drunken

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:37 am

gyso wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:I told you guys getting rid of Moses Brown was a bad move…..

Don't despair, we still have Bruno Fernando!  drunken

Rooting for Bruno, but Moses is more compelling/upside player, JRich is good, but wings in this league are a dime a dozen and we’re already deep there. RWill is already hurting, how old is Horford?

Let’s just call it a boneheaded move, giving up a young dirty work, clog the lane 7’2” big that can easily avg double digits in rebounding….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:38 am

I have a great idea, keep RWill out of b2b games

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:01 am

Ridiculous this team was preaching defense defense defense, and you get rid of a potential 7’2” beast? You still need the ball to score, so you need paint protection and rebounding. Or you can just get the ball after made baskets….

Is anyone looking forward to our defense with say Al and Kantor?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:58 am

If I was Bruno, I would not unpack my bags. He may be a big, but it does not appear he has impressed them much at al and could be traded sooner rather than later, especially if they want to use one of the exceptions they have in hand right now.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:38 pm

And I agreed with you.

But what is done is done. We needed a PF and we got Hernangomez. If he can give us some quality minutes off the bench, then things will work out fine.

The Celtics have one roster spot to fill that could be used to shore up our front line.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:19 pm

Moses Brown was traded for Josh Richardson. Some would say that we traded a limited big man, a deep bench guy for a top rotation player. In other words, we traded a guy who may not even get off the bench for a player who will play in every game. Plus we got a very tradeable contract.

We traded Carsen Edwards and Kris Dunn for Juancho Hernangomez. We combined two players who didn't fill a need for one who did. Plus we got another very tradeable contract and freed up a roster spot. One player is easier to include in a trade than two.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:27 pm

gyso wrote:Moses Brown was traded for Josh Richardson.  Some would say that we traded a limited big man, a deep bench guy for a top rotation player.  In other words, we traded a guy who may not even get off the bench for a player who will play in every game.  Plus we got a very tradeable contract.

We traded Carsen Edwards and Kris Dunn for Juancho Hernangomez.  We combined two players who didn't fill a need for one who did.  Plus we got another very tradeable contract and freed up a roster spot.  One player is easier to include in a trade than two.

So your saying if we had Moses he wouldn’t get off the bench? We will see how this plays out, Hermgomez does not look much like a dirty work impact player. He certainly cannot man the middle like Moses. Let’s all pray for the health of the Timelord.🙏🙏🙏

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:52 pm

Cow,

"may not even get off the bench" is hyperbole on my part.  Sorry.  

The rest of it remains, he is a limited (but long and strong) deep bench player and got traded for an everyday player. He got recent playing time in the league because his former team went the tank route and went 22-50 in the process.  We want more than that.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/brownmo01.html

What do Moses and Hernangomez have to do with one another?  One was not traded for the other, so where does the comparison come from?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:54 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:Colr me surprised. They now have a regular roster spot and a two way available. They cut Pinson, and Matthews refused a two way. Unless they have somebody in mind, this is unfathomable. We shall see. In any case, this is really unfair to Jabari. Players around the league will notice, as they did the IT situation.
Yup!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:01 pm

bobheckler wrote:https://nesn.com/2021/10/nba-rumors-celtics-waive-jabari-parker-now-eyeing-big-man/

NBA Rumors: Celtics Waive Jabari Parker; Now Eyeing Big Man?

Harry Giles might make a lot of sense for the C's

by Logan Mullen

10 hours ago

The Boston Celtics on Sunday reportedly cut Jabari Parker, and it appears there’s a specific intention in mind.

Parker’s contract was set to become guaranteed if the Celtics didn’t waive him before opening night, and with him set to become an end-of-the-bench player, Boston instead decided to move on, according to The Boston Globe.

That means the Celtics now have a vacant two-way roster spot available. Having already waived a number of camp invites, it appears the intention is to use that spot on a player outside of the organization.

According to NBA Insider Keith Smith, the uncertainty around Al Horford and Robert Williams has Boston thinking of adding a big man.

“There has been some buzz that the Celtics are looking at adding another big man, given the uncertainty of Al Horford’s early-season availability,” Smith tweeted Sunday afternoon. “Robert Williams’ recent knee soreness likely factors in here as well.”

Who, specifically, the Celtics would add is unclear, but the most logical possibility is Harry Giles, a fourth-year big man who was waived by the Los Angeles Clippers on Saturday.

A move presumably could be coming soon, as the Celtics open the regular season Wednesday against the New York Knicks.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Harry Giles played with Tatum @ Duke.  I suspect signing him would make Tatum very happy, which is a priority for Brad.  Maybe having his old college teammate chirping in his ear will motivate him?  He was the #20 pick in the 2017 draft, so "rotation player to fringe NBA player" is about right for where players picked there generally are, so his being cut shouldn't be a shocker (exceptions are there, of course.  Pritchard is an NBA player and he was #26, but that's not normal for a player drafted that far down.  The draft may be a crap shoot but even rolling dice has some math behind it).

Harry Giles, 6'11", 240#, 7'4" wingspan, 23 1/2 years old.

It's hard to make assumptions about a player on a bad team, and the Sacramento Queens are perennially that.  How do we know if he really sucks or if it's the system he played in wasn't right for his skill sets?  I think Brad and Ime are worried about the defense of our bigs more than anything.  If Horford and/or RWill miss a lot of games for whatever reasons we are left with Kanter (a poor defender), Grant (who will be even worse defending the rim now that he lost 15# as he was told to do by Ime so he could play with more mobility), Gomez (hasn't impressed me with his defense so far) and fringe player Bruno Fernando.  Due to Horford's age and RWill's fragility our baseline defense is very unpredictable and, clearly, Parker still didn't get enough defensive religion in his stint with the Celtics to impress.

Bob, Giles had injurie issues. I believe it was his knees and that goes as far back as his HS days. I also believe its why he hasn’t played as well as he and some expected. If Tatum can whisper his bad knees away, I say lets sign him.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:07 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
gyso wrote:

Rooting for Bruno, but Moses is more compelling/upside player, JRich is good, but wings in this league are a dime a dozen and we’re already deep there. RWill is already hurting, how old is Horford?

Let’s just call it a boneheaded move, giving up a young dirty work, clog the lane 7’2” big that can easily avg double digits in rebounding….

Cowens, I think you may have Moses Brown confused with Moses Malone. :>) However, I see your point. We need a big and Moses Brown was that. Not sure how good he was but I’m sure he could have given us some decent production.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:38 pm

gyso wrote:Cow,

The rest of it remains, he is a limited (but long and strong) deep bench player and got traded for an everyday player. He got recent playing time in the league because his former team went the tank route and went 22-50 in the process.  We want more than that.

What do Moses and Hernangomez have to do with one another?  One was not traded for the other, so where does the comparison come from?

I know, you brought up Hermgomez, I’m just saying he’s no adequate replacement as a 5, he’s not a 5, will get eaten up and chewed up like stale gum, at least Moses wreaks some damage for you at the 5.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:46 pm

Ktron wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:
gyso wrote:

Cowens, I think you may have Moses Brown confused with Moses Malone. :>) However, I see your point. We need a big and Moses Brown was that. Not sure how good he was but I’m sure he could have given us some decent production.[/quote

At least he has good attributes and size for the position, seen him get offensive rebounds/put backs right over Embid, at 21 and on a cheap contract, was so much upside and insurance for RWill’s fragility and Horford’s age. Again at 21 a very good developmental piece at a position of need, kid is a natural board eater. Obviously hearing crickets from Heckler….so I must be right.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:06 pm

On “We want more than that”

Yeah I understand that, but this kid still has as you said length and strength or long and strong. I used attributes, this kid passes my eye test as a young 5 with attributes for the position. In another era the Pistons had a rookie that could only defend and rebound in Dennis Rodman, he couldn’t do anything else, but he added a spark with his defense and rebounding, he didn’t stop everybody, but his contributions were huge. I know they play different positions, and it’s different eras, but you still need the ball, still need to protect the rim….it’s still basketball, not every player is gonna do everything, we just got rid of 2 shooters this summer because they defended like pussies.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:32 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:

I know, you brought up Hermgomez, I’m just saying he’s no adequate replacement as a 5, he’s not a 5, will get eaten up and chewed up like stale gum, at least Moses wreaks some damage for you at the 5.

Cow,

Someone else seemed to tie Moses and Hermangomez together. Maybe yes, maybe no, but it seemed that way.

My post tried to explain that the transaction that sent Moses out was a different one than the transaction that brought Hermangomez in. That is all. I was in no way trying to compare the two.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next