dboss
gyso
cowens/oldschool
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jabari Parker in green Empty Jabari Parker in green

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:03 pm

We just signed Jabari Parker and waived Wagner....

Thoughts...???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Jabari Parker in green Empty Re: Jabari Parker in green

Post by gyso Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:19 pm

He will have to get a new uniform number. #33 is taken.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:31 pm

And we’re still not healthy....

Frenchy did have covid and is still following covid protocol.

More concerning is RWill will miss his second straight game with left knee/calf soreness. This has got to be related to his leg condition, why they didn’t straighten it out while he was already injured the seasons before makes me question this training/medical staff...??? No way are we on this 7 out of 8 run without his contributions.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:40 pm

He may add some veteran depth. Not much of a deep shooter but he can rebound some.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:41 pm

JP can add offense off the bench, can he buy in on the defensive end?

Wagner looked lost last night against the Lakers. Kornet with the four blocks won that round.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:43 pm

So Parker is signed, will he be in uniform tomorrow night? This is getting crazy. To think, Fournier may have played those 4 games with Covid???? False positive, no false positive. Got to wonder

Wonder when these guys will be vaccinated. I read that Danny had been trying for them to get shots before they left on the road trip.

Wagmer was never going to make it here anyway. Why do these guys get two year contracts? So much for anyone thinking IT might have a shot. Just not a good idea, what happens when he has to get cut again. I am sad for what has happened to him but this is a business and Danny could not let his heart over rule his head
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:00 pm

I can’t remember the last time I even saw Parker play, but from my vague memory, he is more a 4 than a 3. He’s a tweener, in today’s NBA he could be a 4, but he’s never had a good 3 point shot. His career avg is 14.8 ppg something Semi and GWill will never come near to even for one season.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:12 pm

6'-8" tall, 245 pounds.

6'-11.75" wingspan. 8'-11.5" standing reach.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:18 pm

OUTSTANDING!

We need depth and have to build a bench. Adding Parker along with Fournier and Thompson is the right way to go. Parker is a decent multi-position player. For those who might remember, he's the player that started the short-lived position-less trend. Good move.

Wagner and Kornet are just throw-aways anyway. Doesn't matter.

Plus; never can have too many Duke players...
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:26 pm

The only reason I can see for this signing is that Danny thinks Wagner is completely useless, an opinion no doubt solidified by his 5 minute debacle last night.

Parker played 6 games last year and only 3 games this year.  He doesn't take 3s.  I know Danny loves cheap reclamation projects but how does a player with Parker's skill sets fit Brad's system? If Wagner is useless then I suppose anybody is an improvement but, huh?

I wouldn't be sleeping easily tonight if I was Carsen Edwards either.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/parkeja01.html

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:33 pm

I'Dunno Bob.

I think the last thing we need is another player to shoot the 3.

Inside game is the need here IMO.

I believe Parker for a few minutes here and there off the bench should be a big help. Like so many players floating around right now, the risk is him staying healthy and on the floor.

I like the add a lot. Then again my mantra has become keep the starting 5, Fournier, Thompson, Pritchard and now Parker. Don't let the door hit the rest of 'em in the backside on their way out.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:34 pm

What's scary is that Parker just turned 26 last month.  He was a #2 pick, this is his 6th team in 7 seasons and he's younger than Smart and only 1 1/2 years older than Jaylen. What's wrong with him?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:47 pm

I have to tell you that if they could, I would drop Waters. I know he has a two way contract so does that make him safe for the year? He just does nothing for me. Every time he is on the floor he is jacking up threes that are just not going in. It just irritates me. He is no backup to Kemba that is for sure. Not the way Brad substitutes. Useless to me
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:49 pm

bobheckler wrote:What's scary is that Parker just turned 26 last month.  He was a #2 pick, this is his 6th team in 7 seasons and he's younger than Smart and only 1 1/2 years older than Jaylen.  What's wrong with him?

Bob

My opinion again, but I think it's two things.

First, his early injury history, which is hopefully in the past.

Second, I think he's been mis-used in several systems. Referring back to his days at Duke playing as a 'position-less' center/forward/+, I think NBA teams have used him in the wrong way. In Atlanta, for example, they squeezed him in at center. He's really athletic, but undersized to be taking on NBA centers. I think in the NBA he's best suited as a 3/4. He can shoot it from range a bit more than he's been given the opportunity to, but that's not his strong suit. In the offense, he's more of a roll-type guy. That's his sweet spot.

We'll see anyway. I think he'll be a nice upgrade to some of the empty uniforms we've had coming off the bench.

Fournier, then Parker. I'm happy to see Ainge taking a shot at improving depth. A little risk, sure, but we couldn't play the hand we had.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:04 am

Was just looking at his highlights on you tube, he can score in the post and drive in so many more ways than Semi or GWill could ever dream of. I agree with NY Celt we have enough 3 point guys, that’s all Semi and GWill got and how many times are those guys on? His inside scoring ability and I could see him cutting on the baseline without the ball could be a welcome asset. I could see him playing well off 2 J’s and Kemba and Smart. He’s still young, he can score with variety inside, I’m sure they worked him out.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:36 am

The thing that both GW and Semi do bring is defense. These last two weeks Grant has been terrific in the time on the floor. Semi seems to have slowed down on his shooting (he really was shooting well in the beginning of the season) but he does play good defense for the most part. As I read here, is Parker going to be a liability on the defensive end? He wont get that many minutes anyway but, who knows, sometimes a change of scenery is helpful to a player
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:13 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/jabari-parker-signing-40-million-deal-dont-pay-players-play-defense-222318389.html

Jabari Parker after signing $40 million deal: 'They don't pay players to play defense'

Jack Baer

July 19, 2018

Say this for Jabari Parker, he seems pretty comfortable with who he is as a player. But that might not be a good thing.

Fresh off signing a two-year, $40 million offer sheet with his hometown Bulls, Parker appeared on Chicago radio station 670 The Score and was very clear on what kind of value he plans to bring to the Bulls:

“I just stick to my strengths. Look at everybody in the league. They don’t pay players to play defense. There’s only two people historically that play defense. I’m not going to say I won’t, but to say that’s a weakness is like saying that’s everybody’s weakness. Because I’ve scored 30 and 20 on a lot of guys that say they play defense.”

“A better offense wins a championship,” Parker later added.

How Jabari Parker fits with the Bulls on defense
Going back to when he was drafted, Parker has been known as a player with defensive question marks, though his offense has usually been good enough to give him a pass. That eye test assessment has followed him over the years, though injuries are partially to blame.

The stats also back up that notion. Parker didn’t fare too well in defensive real plus/minus when he was on the court last year, ranking 79th out of 84 power forwards.

While the Bulls probably didn’t sign Parker to be a defensive stopper, they’re probably hoping he can at least be passable in the switch-heavy defense that has taken over the NBA. When he was asked if he thinks he can accomplish that, Parker

They pay people to score the ball, and I would hope that somebody scores the ball on me if they pay them that much. So, I’m not saying that to cop out or nothing. It’s the NBA. We’re professionals. Everybody scores. It’s just about limiting them as much as you can, trying to contain them.”

Unfortunately for the Bulls, Parker isn’t exactly surrounded by players that can take the load off. All-NBA rookie Lauri Markannen ranked only 68th among power forwards in defensive real plus/minus, while Zach LaVine, who the Bulls just signed for $80 million, came in at 84th out 97 point guards. Even though this year’s first-rounder Wendell Carter lit up the Summer League on defense, even a league-average defense might be a tall order for Chicago this season.

Jabari Parker doesn’t think he’s in Chicago to be a defensive stopper. (AP Photo)
Jabari Parker doesn’t think he’s in Chicago to be a defensive stopper. (AP Photo)

Is offense more important in the NBA?
Supporting Parker’s claim that offense wins championships is the Golden State Warriors, who have topped the NBA in offensive rating over the last four years and have three trophies to show for it. However, the Warriors they also ranked in the top 5 in defensive rating in three of those seasons, with last season’s No. 9 ranking representing their low point. The Warriors are good.

Not supporting Parker’s claim is the makeup of the playoffs outside of Golden State. The entire top 10 in NBA defensive rating made the playoffs last year, with five of the top six teams winning at least one series (the lone team to lose in the first round was the Spurs, who faced the Warriors). The quarterfinals teams who didn’t make the top six in defensive rating were:

the New Orleans Pelicans, who had blocks leader Anthony Davis

the Cleveland Cavaliers, who had LeBron James

the Warriors, who were the Warriors

So unless the Bulls gets a true defensive freak, the best basketball player on the planet or become so absurdly stacked that they exist on a different plane from the NBA, they’re probably going to need a strong team defense if they want to make a deep playoffs run. But that’s probably the plan: keep Parker in the fold to supply offense while the rest of the core can supply value elsewhere.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:39 am

bobheckler wrote:The only reason I can see for this signing is that Danny thinks Wagner is completely useless, an opinion no doubt solidified by his 5 minute debacle last night.

Parker played 6 games last year and only 3 games this year.  He doesn't take 3s.  I know Danny loves cheap reclamation projects but how does a player with Parker's skill sets fit Brad's system?  If Wagner is useless then I suppose anybody is an improvement but, huh?

I wouldn't be sleeping easily tonight if I was Carsen Edwards either.

Bob

Bob the year before 19-20, he actually played in 38 games on 2 teams and averaged 14.0 ppg. Agreed one of his problems is he just cannot defend, not quick enough to chase and keep up with 3’s and not strong/athletic enough to deal with most 4’s. However Julius Randle was considered a bad defender, and with a lot of work and good coaching his defense is much improved, maybe playing with our good defenders and good coaching, Parker can improve too.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:32 am

In 32 games last year with Atlanta he did 15.0 ppg on 62% from 2. Guy can score in midrange and paint area....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:20 am

Hi,
Anybody knows details of the contract?
I presume JP will be eligible to play in playoffs?
Overall, I think, it's a low risk swap (Parker for Wagner) with potential high return.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:59 am

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
Anybody knows details of the contract?
I presume JP will be eligible to play in playoffs?
Overall, I think, it's a low risk swap (Parker for Wagner) with potential high return.

AK

I read that JP was released in time to qualify for the playoffs.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:05 pm

He can play in the playoffs, that's my understanding.

As far as defense, that 2018 story is from a younger guy new to the league. He can defend some, but it's far from his strength.

As to defense overall, he's not far from right. Very few are paid to defend. The more the game relies on shooting the 3, the less it relies on defense. We have enough defenders and we have enough shooters. We need guys coming off the bench that can roll and drive to the rim. Another rebounder wouldn't hurt either. Danny; any other trees you can shake to see what falls out?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:15 pm

On a tangential note I would, once again, offer my mea culpa for so completely misunderstanding the Theis-for-Wagner-and-Kornet trade.  I thought Danny was going for the young bruiser, as a long-term replacement for Thompson, and not the finesse center.  I thought it would be hours, days at most, before the Celtics waived Luke Kornet.  

This is why I post on an online Celtics board and don't have an office in the Auerbach Center.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:18 pm

If it's a vet minimum contract, it could be a great pick up. This is a guy who can get us buckets off the bench. Maybe he isn't a world class defender, but you can't expect a complete player for low dollars. Unless he messes up team chemistry, I think it is a good signing.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:23 pm

Jabari Parker played 3 games this season for the Kings. Who knows why they didn't play him more, they are the Kings. It seems like he was not in their plans, so maybe the reason for the trade last season had nothing to do with him. Salary dump, who knows?

He played 38 games last season, 32 for the Hawks and 6 games for the Kings after he was traded. TOT in the chart means Total and is used to combine the season's stats when a player is traded during the season. He played 26 mpg before he was traded to the Kings, so I wouldn't necessarily hold his time with Sacto against him.

I hope he can do just fine against other team's bench players. I see him as another low cost addition for Brad to play with. We can definitely use his offense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next