NYCelt
gyso
RosalieTCeltics
Shamrock1000
dboss
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Source: New England Patriots cut Cam Newton; Mac Jones to start Empty Source: New England Patriots cut Cam Newton; Mac Jones to start

Post by dboss Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:26 am

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32119363/sources-new-england-patriots-cut-cam-newton-mac-jones-start
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Source: New England Patriots cut Cam Newton; Mac Jones to start Empty Re: Source: New England Patriots cut Cam Newton; Mac Jones to start

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:13 am

dboss wrote:https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32119363/sources-new-england-patriots-cut-cam-newton-mac-jones-start

Wow! Didn't quite see that coming, but in hindsight, it's classic Belichick - nipped any potential QB controversy in the bud

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Source: New England Patriots cut Cam Newton; Mac Jones to start Empty Re: Source: New England Patriots cut Cam Newton; Mac Jones to start

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:31 pm

New England, in general, is going crazy. News on all stations, all morning long. People seem to forget that Boston is a sports town, this is big news. They must have told him he was not going to be the starter, and he requested that they waive him. Say what you want, but he was a very popular player here, his teammates loved him, so this is a shock to them.

Searching for a new Brady Bill?????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:41 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:New England, in general, is going crazy.  News on all stations, all morning long. People seem to forget that Boston is a sports town, this is big news.  They must have told him he was not going to be the starter, and he requested that they waive him.  Say what you want, but he was a very popular player here, his teammates loved him, so this is a shock to them.  

The coach hates turnovers and interceptions are the worst kind. It may just come down to that and going back to the kind of offense he likes to play.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:03 pm

gyso wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:New England, in general, is going crazy.  News on all stations, all morning long. People seem to forget that Boston is a sports town, this is big news.  They must have told him he was not going to be the starter, and he requested that they waive him.  Say what you want, but he was a very popular player here, his teammates loved him, so this is a shock to them.  

The coach hates turnovers and interceptions are the worst kind.  It may just come down to that and going back to the kind of offense he likes to play.

I also wonder if Bill didn't like the idea of Cam having to go in and out of Covid protocols because he refused to be vaccinated. Having to constantly adjust to Cam going into Covid protocol seems like something that would drive Belichick bananas. Wish Cam well and excited for the Big Mac.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:11 pm

I think the Covid issue is a real problem. He was going home to wherever, Baltimore, someplace down there to see his family, and had to be on Covid program. Plus, the kid took advantage of this time and played well enough to make it an easier decision. Is this the end of the Cam Newton era? will he retire? I wonder, but there are teams out there who would take a fliyer on him for cheap money He will still get his $2 million signing bonus, what a heartache
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:12 am

Jones seems to fit the Pats offense better than Newton. Hoodie has always looked for his QB to be a consistent game manager rather than a spectacular athlete. That offense needs intelligence and cool under pressure. Jones can supply the needed skills, but it may take a season for him to get there. At Bama he was surrounded by a high level of talent at the skill positions, as he will be in NE. If the OL stays healthy and can give the running game the holes it needs plus protect Jones when he’s in the pocket, I think the Pats might give my Bills a run for the division.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:31 am

BB has reconstructed this team to look a lot like the 01 Pats.

Strong defense to stop the run, a big OL to run the ball behind and a QB that can execute the offense.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:32 am

Belichick also cut Brian Hoyer.  That leaves Mac Jones as the only Patriot QB.  Clearly, no team will go into a season without at least one back up QB.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:57 am

bobheckler wrote:Belichick also cut Brian Hoyer.  That leaves Mac Jones as the only Patriot QB.  Clearly, no team will go into a season without at least one back up QB.

Bob

Expect them to bring him back.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:25 pm

The NFL salary rules are weird. Since most contracts are not fully guaranteed, teams can cut players and resign them back later.

Maybe they cut Hoyer to start with a clean slate and then resign him with a different set of guarantees, since he is now the (or will be?) first backup to the starter.

He stepped up a notch and should be compensated for the extra responsibility.

Just a guess.

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:03 am

Hoyer is on the practice squad for now. They could keep him on it for a week or two, elevate him on game day, and then add him to the 53 man roster later. Provides more roster flexibility now and in the future if he isn’t on the 53 week 1 especially if they see Stidham as the better backup.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:44 am

KyleCleric wrote:Hoyer is on the practice squad for now. They could keep him on it for a week or two, elevate him on game day, and then add him to the 53 man roster later. Provides more roster flexibility now and in the future if he isn’t on the 53 week 1 especially if they see Stidham as the better backup.

People seem to forget about Stidham. He's on the PUP list after surgery but should return in a few weeks. They also picked up Garrett Gilbert from the Cowboys in addition to retaining Hoyer, so they have options available.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:59 am

Hoyer is more a player/coach at this point. They must have made it worth his while to stick around. Good experience moving on once he hangs up his cleats
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:30 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Hoyer is more a player/coach at this point. They must have made it worth his while to stick around.  Good experience moving on once he hangs up his cleats

Isn't he on the practice squad? In the only real-life experience I know of, playing on the practice squad doesn't pay the bills in the long term. My son-in-law did that for 4-5 seasons and never caught on with the big team. I saw one of his checks one time, it was for a little more than $5000 for a month. He was starting to get serious with my daughter and had to give it up, go back to school (UMO honored his scholarship) and join the real world.

Hoyer must be getting something more than $5K/month.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:09 pm

Hoyer has been around the block and back with the Pats.  I think they really appreciate his experience.  He could be a coach down the road.

Stidham is from Auburn and everybody knows how much Auburn and Alabama despise each other.  But I guess all is good once you put on the same uniform.

I expect Stidham to be the BU QB.

Last edited by dboss on Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:48 pm

NYCelt wrote:Jones seems to fit the Pats offense better than Newton. Hoodie has always looked for his QB to be a consistent game manager rather than a spectacular athlete. That offense needs intelligence and cool under pressure. Jones can supply the needed skills, but it may take a season for him to get there. At Bama he was surrounded by a high level of talent at the skill positions, as he will be in NE. If the OL stays healthy and can give the running game the holes it needs plus protect Jones when he’s in the pocket, I think the Pats might give my Bills a run for the division.

Hoodie has always looked for his QB to be a consistent game manager rather than a spectacular athlete.

Then why did Bill sign Cam?

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:37 am

gyso wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:Hoyer is more a player/coach at this point. They must have made it worth his while to stick around.  Good experience moving on once he hangs up his cleats

Isn't he on the practice squad?  In the only real-life experience I know of, playing on the practice squad doesn't pay the bills in the long term.  My son-in-law did that for 4-5 seasons and never caught on with the big team.  I saw one of his checks one time, it was for a little more than $5000 for a month.  He was starting to get serious with my daughter and had to give it up, go back to school (UMO honored his scholarship) and join the real world.  

Hoyer must be getting something more than $5K/month.  

The practice squad changed a bit under COVID. As a vet, he’d get $14k /wk unless he’s elevated for game day in which he would get the amount for the vet min at his experience level (which would be the max experience). I expect that they’ll elevate him the first week at least and then probably add him to the 53 man roster, save his 2nd elevation to later in the year in case they need to cut him for his roster spot again and add him to the practice squad.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:40 am

Ktron wrote:
NYCelt wrote:Jones seems to fit the Pats offense better than Newton. Hoodie has always looked for his QB to be a consistent game manager rather than a spectacular athlete. That offense needs intelligence and cool under pressure. Jones can supply the needed skills, but it may take a season for him to get there. At Bama he was surrounded by a high level of talent at the skill positions, as he will be in NE. If the OL stays healthy and can give the running game the holes it needs plus protect Jones when he’s in the pocket, I think the Pats might give my Bills a run for the division.

Hoodie has always looked for his QB to be a consistent game manager rather than a spectacular athlete.

Best talent available , didn’t have Jones at the time. “Only” 3.5m sunk cost

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:23 am

KyleCleric wrote:
Ktron wrote:

Exactly.

I would add that they didn’t have enough confidence in Stidham to start him, and he was the best option at that point.

Newton was totally out of character for the NE offense and they tried to adjust to Newton’s strengths. It didn’t work, of course, and made it evident he was a stop-gap. Drafting Jones confirmed 2020 was a transition season.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:16 pm

This is inside information that I received.

What did Cam in was his missing practice due to COVID protocols and not getting vaccinated and Mac Jones stepping up and getting vaccinated.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:33 pm

NY CELT
I would add that they didn’t have enough confidence in Stidham to start him, and he was the best option at that point.

Newton was totally out of character for the NE offense and they tried to adjust to Newton’s strengths. It didn’t work, of course, and made it evident he was a stop-gap. Drafting Jones confirmed 2020 was a transition season.

I would add regarding Stidham that the combination of Jones which was a gift given the Patriots and the fact that Stidham suffered an injury requiring surgery during training camp did not allow him to compete.

It has been noted that Stidham will be a real alternative when he gets back later in the season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:04 pm

NYCelt wrote:
KyleCleric wrote:
Ktron wrote:

Exactly.

There were other “stop gap” QB’s around last year that they could have signed. They didn’t. Signing Cam meant they thought he could help the team win. Isn’t that Bill’s philosophy? Ahhh..Hold it, he no longer wanted Brady. Hmm Dudes a winner but he’s as weird as they come. I hope Cam ends up somewhere and shows more than he did here. I also hope Big Mac has that special sauce (I kill me) to get us going again.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:18 am

Ktron wrote:I also hope Big Mac has that special sauce (I kill me) to get us going again.

Ktron, Ktron, Ktron…

Wrong sauce my man. Wrong sauce.

Buffalo wings, extra crispy, Frank’s Red Hot wing sauce.

When Josh and the boys beat… err, play the Pats twice this year, you’re going to need some nice, hot, wing sauce.

I live a reasonably short drive East of Highmark Stadium. Monday night game, December 6, I’ll make you the same standing offer I’ve made in the past to gyso and 112288 (let’s apply that to any Hoodie fan). You get yourself up here. We take in the game and tailgate at the stadium or catch it in our home-theater here. I’ll supply the wings, beef-on-weck, and some donuts from Paula’s. We’ll get you over to our side.

Bill’s Mafia. Go Bills!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:46 pm

NYCelt wrote:
Ktron wrote:I also hope Big Mac has that special sauce (I kill me) to get us going again.

Ktron, Ktron, Ktron…

Wrong sauce my man. Wrong sauce.

Buffalo wings, extra crispy, Frank’s Red Hot wing sauce.

When Josh and the boys beat… err, play the Pats twice this year, you’re going to need some nice, hot, wing sauce.

I live a reasonably short drive East of Highmark Stadium. Monday night game, December 6, I’ll make you the same standing offer I’ve made in the past to gyso and 112288 (let’s apply that to any Hoodie fan). You get yourself up here. We take in the game and tailgate at the stadium or catch it in our home-theater here. I’ll supply the wings, beef-on-weck, and some donuts from Paula’s. We’ll get you over to our side.

Bill’s Mafia. Go Bills!
Ha Ha! Sounds good to me. I was more of a Brady fan anyway. I just left Buffalo/Rochester the other day. Love to make it back up that way before the weather says stay put. Frank’s Hot wing sauce is the best!!!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next