8 posters

Go down

Hot Rumors-du-Jour Empty Hot Rumors-du-Jour

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:05 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nba-rumors-celtics-could-pursue-132309193.html

NBA Rumors: Celtics could pursue Zach LaVine in free agency

Darren Hartwell
Mon, September 13, 2021, 6:23 AM

Brad Stevens and the Boston Celtics made several moves this offseason with the goal of maintaining enough financial flexibility to bring in high-priced free-agent talent next summer.

But who could they acquire -- especially if Bradley Beal decides to stay with the Washington Wizards?

Apparently Celtics fans should keep an eye on Zach LaVine. The Chicago Bulls star could be "a potential Celtics free agent target" in 2022 and may be Boston's "No. 1 target" if Beal doesn't pan out, The Boston Globe's Gary Washburn reported this weekend.

Beal still should top Boston's free-agent wish list next summer: He's a close childhood friend of C's star Jayson Tatum and one of the NBA's best scorers. But the three-time All-Star has remained loyal to the Wizards for nine seasons and could opt to run it back with the team that drafted him.

If that's the case, LaVine is an intriguing target for the Celtics. The 26-year-old has blossomed into an elite scorer in Chicago, averaging career highs across the board for the Bulls last season (27.4 points, 5.0 rebounds and 4.9 assists per game) while shooting 41.9% from 3-point range.

LaVine also showcased impressive defensive abilities for Team USA at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, where he played with Tatum for a coaching staff that included new Celtics head coach Ime Udoka.

LaVine likely will command a maximum contract in free agency, but he'd still cost less than Beal, who is eligible for to make up to $47 million per year on his next deal compared to just over $37 million per year for LaVine.

A trio of Tatum, Jaylen Brown and Beal or LaVine would make the Celtics a serious threat in the Eastern Conference if they can make the financials work. The summer of 2022 is a long way away, though, and the C's face a more immediate challenge of returning to prominence in 2021-22 with a new head coach and a revamped roster.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Personally, I don't get this strategy that we've seen for some years now, the strategy of being loaded with high quality (and high priced) smallball.  I understand swinging for the fences for Kyrie, he's a prodigy, but signing Kemba was a mistake and not just because of his knee.  There's too much talent being concentrated on smaller side of the roster.  If RWill can elevate his game to where he's another Bam Adubayo then we're sitting pretty but we need dominance inside as well as outside.  The rim gets tighter in the playoffs as an entire season of play degrades legs a bit, as refs swallow their whistles a bit and as pressure ramps up.  Having strong finishers at the rim, players who can absorb that extra playoff contact and still make them pay, is more important than during the regular season when everybody's fresh and the refs are molly-coddling the players to keep them healthy for another few months.  I admit there aren't many high quality bigs that are available instead of LaVine, but Brad should be looking for them and consider using whatever salary cap space he can free up for them instead of for another back court player.  It's all fine and good to have a kennel of whippets and greyhounds, but you want to have a couple of dobies, rotties and german shepherds to greet the other team's whippets when they try to come visit.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Hot Rumors-du-Jour Empty Re: Hot Rumors-du-Jour

Post by gyso Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:23 pm

I don't get the reason for this article.  #Bigwasteoftime

Why?

Because we won't have any cap space this summer to sign a top free agent, after the extensions to Smart, RWill and JRich were completed.  Now we are rich with tradeable contracts, with no cap space.  Any top player will now be added by trading, not in free agency.

It's been that way for weeks.  

Darren Hartwell, don't just hit *resend* on a months old article.  Do better.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:24 am

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/13/nba-boston-celtics-brown-anthony-workouts/

Report: Celtics working out EuroCup standout forward Anthony Brown

Hot Rumors-du-Jour 3572103b08554e0f90be8057085366d7
AP Photo/Carlos Osorio

Justin Quinn
September 13, 2021 3:11 pm ET

The Boston Celtics are reportedly working out unsigned veteran small forward Anthony Brown this week, per Sportando’s Emiliano Carchia. The Sportando chief tweets Brown “spent last season with Boulogne-Levallois averaging 12.1 ppg in Jeep Elite and 14.6 ppg in EuroCup” play.

Carchia notes the former Stanford player “has played 41 games in the NBA” for the Los Angeles Lakers, New Orleans Pelicans, Orlando Magic and Minnesota Timberwolves. His most recent stop in the league came during the 2017-18 season. Selected 34th in the 2015 NBA draft by Los Angeles, Brown struggled in the NBA from 3-point range.

Now, playing abroad, the California native has transformed his shot, connecting at least 42.5% of his shots last season with various EuroCup and LNB Pro A teams.

It remains to be seen whether Brown can continue to find the same sort of success against a higher grade of competition, but it’s fairly evident why Boston might want to kick the tires on this 28-year-old, 6-foot-7 wing.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Ok, maybe not a "hot" rumor but it doesn't deserve its own thread neither.  He's listed as 6'7", 224# with a pretty nice 6'11 1/2" wingspan.  He played a year for Partizan Belgrade, which is the same team Yam Madar is playing for now.   He's played on 6 teams in 3 years in Europe and 4 teams in 3 years in the NBA.  The quintessential journeyman. Still, he beat the odds for a 2nd rounder by just making it onto an NBA roster even for one year.

Here's a link to his international stats:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/anthony-brown-1.html

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:42 am

Another wing really?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:28 pm

In thinking about LaVine, he usually KILLS the Cs every time he plays against us. Not sure how much money it would take to be worth at least not having to face him a few times each season?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:38 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/john-wall-rockets-agree-part-173606993.html

John Wall, Rockets agree to part ways

HoopsHype
Tue, September 14, 2021, 10:36 AM

After meeting and seeing eye-to-eye on the direction of the Houston Rockets, the franchise and John Wall have agreed on working together to find a new home for the five-time All-Star guard, sources tell The Athletic. The plan is for Wall to remain present around the Rockets entering training camp, which begins late this month, and to not play in games for Houston this season, sources said.

Source: Shams Charania @ The Athletic

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania
Sources: John Wall, Houston Rockets meet and mutually agree to work together on finding a new home for the five-time All-Star guard. Plan is for Wall to be present at training camp, but not play in Rockets games this season.
Details: theathletic.com/news/rockets-j… – 1:24 PM

In a meeting between Wall and the Rockets recently, Houston officials explained to Wall the direction of the franchise and that the team wants to protect the veteran guard’s health. The Rockets explained that the team does not want to jeopardize Wall’s fitness, and the sides agreed on the route that won’t complicate his ability to continue playing at a high level. Sources said there are no buyout plans on the two years and $91.7 million remaining on Wall’s contract — including a $47.4 million player option for the 2022-23 season. -via The Athletic / September 14, 2021

The Rockets have held discussions with free-agent point guards in the marketplace in recent days, sources said. -via The Athletic / September 14, 2021

Of the two veteran guards, MacMahon sees Gordon, who is owed $37.8 million over the next two seasons, as much more likely to be moved by the Rockets at some point during the upcoming season. With Wall, who is due $91.7 million, the logistics are far more complicated.

Bob
MY NOTE:  They're going to pay Wall to not play?!  Wow.  Considering the rest of the team sucks that's beyond "blatantly tanking".  FYI, Schroder cannot be traded for 3 months but, when he can be traded, him and Al Horford and Josh Richardson for John Wall works per an NBA Trade Machine.  John Wall is 31 years old.  He might not be the player he once was but he's still probably better than either Schroder or Richardson.  Schroder's a goner after this year regardless and Richardson is replaceable. Just a thought.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:49 am

This is another thing that is all wrong with the NBA.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:16 am

I don't see giving up Horford in a trade for a redundant John Wall, if we're going to compete this year.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:53 am

My Comments on all of this mess.

The Zach Levine rumor is not a rumor.  Gary Washburn of the Globe, a guy that is quite knowledgeable, just threw out what can best be described as a 'What if'  unsourced speculative idea.  His comments were highly speculative and driven by the notion that if we cannot get Beal what about Zach.  Celtics fans should avoid engaging in made up speculation.  Besides, Levin has signed with Clutch Sports and they are probably going to get him to LA.  That seems like a destination he would embrace.

John Wall is still owed $90 something million.  John Wall has a history of injuries.  John Wall cannot possibly be better than anybody because you have to be available.  And you have to consider cost.    

Anthony Brown is a camp invitee.  stop.  Anthony Brown will be fighting for practice minutes during training camp  stop. End of telegram
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:26 pm

I am starting to here some what if's on KAT and Zion.

It was just reported yesterday that Zion broke his foot and had off season surgery. i saw an interview with him and he was the size of a double wide.

KAT is unhappy and describes the T'Wolves as being unstable.  He really sounds like he wants out.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:33 pm

I wonder if Zion will ever play a full season. He has only been in the league how long? and I think he has missed half of that time to injury. Karl Anthony Townes is an unhappy camper, has been on and off for a while. But I am not giving up Brown for him
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:10 pm

Ros, I'd trade Anthony Brown in a minute for KAT.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:21 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I wonder if Zion will ever play a full season.  He has only been in the league how long? and I think he has missed half of that time to injury.  Karl Anthony Townes is an unhappy camper, has been on and off for a while.  But I am not giving up Brown for him

+1
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:42 pm

Worcester, I did not realize Anthony was on our team. Jaylen will be relieved when he hears rumors about Brown being traded!!!!! Ha ha
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:48 pm

Ros, Anthony was just invited to camp. I doubt he will be around long.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down