Celtics trade addition Juancho Hernangomez is eager to prove himself in Boston: ‘It’s the best thing I could ask for’

+2
wideclyde
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Celtics trade addition Juancho Hernangomez is eager to prove himself in Boston: ‘It’s the best thing I could ask for’ Empty Celtics trade addition Juancho Hernangomez is eager to prove himself in Boston: ‘It’s the best thing I could ask for’

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:40 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/09/celtics-trade-addition-juancho-hernangomez-is-eager-to-prove-himself-in-boston-its-the-best-thing-i-could-ask-for.html

Celtics trade addition Juancho Hernangomez is eager to prove himself in Boston: ‘It’s the best thing I could ask for’

Updated: 10:28 a.m. | Published: 10:28 a.m.

Celtics trade addition Juancho Hernangomez is eager to prove himself in Boston: ‘It’s the best thing I could ask for’ 32Y5TMSLTFB2BMM5POTTW3EP6U
Boston Celtics forward Juancho Hernangomez looks over his shoulder during a pause in an interview at the Boston Celtics Media Day, Monday, Sept. 27, 2021, in Canton, Mass. (AP Photo/Mary Schwalm)AP

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

CANTON -- The Celtics addressed almost every part of their roster this offseason ahead of September except for the reserve power forward spot. However, Brad Stevens saw a buy-low candidate in Juancho Hernangomez, who the team acquired for Kris Dunn and Carsen Edwards on September 15th.

The former Minnesota forward was traded twice this offseason, first to the Memphis Grizzlies for a few weeks before his final landing spot in Boston. Stevens spoke about the 6-foot-9 forward at Celtics media day on Monday for the first time in regards to how Hernangomez fits into Boston’s roster plans.

“We’re gonna get a lot of information over the next few weeks with regard to Juancho,” Stevens explained. “Obviously, he’s a guy with his size and his shooting ability and his cutting ability that we think could accentuate some of our better players.

“But I think Juancho is an accentuater. I think that he has the capability of doing that. And I think one of his under-discussed great qualities is his cutting. And with all the attention that Jayson and Jaylen get specifically, the right time to cut is an important quality. And so that’s one of the many things that drew us to him.”

Hernangomez hails from Spain and wanted to suit up for the Spanish national team in Tokyo this summer but was denied permission from the Timberwolves management due to a shoulder injury. That clash likely led to the team dealing away Hernangomez weeks later, as the sixth-year forward insists he’s been healthy for months.

“I’m 100 percent,” he said. “I was ready to play in the summertime, too. I didn’t go (to the Olympics) but I’m ready to go.”

In Boston, Hernangomez knows his offensive skillset will be key to earning him opportunity over the likes of Grant Williams and Jabari Parker off Boston’s bench by forcing defenses to make tough choices while guarding Jaylen Brown or Jayson Tatum.

“Both of them are our two best players,” Hernangomez said. “They’re one of the top-2 players in the NBA. We gotta help them. We know the defense of the opposite teams is obviously going to go against them. So all of us gotta help them to make them even better on the court. If it’s me cutting with the ball, help them relieve some pressure, I will do it. I think it’s a really good team and I’m really excited.”

Whether Hernangomez can make that kind of offensive impact as a cutter or floor spacer however remains to be seen. He’s only a career 35.1% 3-point shooter, and was significantly lower than that with 32.7 percent shooting from deep last season. He should have a better supporting cast and more open looks this time around compared to Minnesota, but he will need to produce in a competitive environment to get regular opportunities.

“We’ll see how that all pans out,” Stevens said of the rotation. “There’s a lot of competition for spots, by adding Richardson, Schroder, Kanter. Those guys were all double figure scorers last year. Like, they’re all guys that have done it in the NBA at a high level for a long time. And so when you look at just minutes, then it’s going to be, again, to accentuate everybody that can bring those special traits to the table.”

The Celtics as a team should be putting outside shooting at a premium given the lack of reliable options they’ve had at the position last season. Al Horford should provide an upgrade at center from a high volume perimeter standpoint but Hernangomez is a willing shooter as well, which will be needed off the bench.

“I know the player I am, I know my skills, and I think I can bring that to the table, you know, open the floor, playing without the ball, rebound the ball, and fighting every possession,” Hernangomez said. “I think that’s huge for the team, I know how hard they compete, and I want to be on the same level, to help them.”

After playing for one of the worst teams in the league for the past two seasons, Hernangomez will get a taste of more meaningful basketball this fall as he hopes to prove himself as more than just a short-term rental. The Celtics have been successful at veteran reclamation projects during Stevens’ tenure in town and Hernangomez is eager for the chance to add to that list.

“It was a really tough summer for me, personally; a lot of doubts about my health,” he said. “I know the business part of the NBA. It was hard but at the end of the day we got to keep going and I’ve never give up. After that I came here with a trade so um, I was so surprised, I’m so happy. I know the team wanted me for a long time but coming to a great team, a winning culture is huge for me. I need this opportunity for me and it’s the best thing I can ask for.”

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics trade addition Juancho Hernangomez is eager to prove himself in Boston: ‘It’s the best thing I could ask for’ Empty Re: Celtics trade addition Juancho Hernangomez is eager to prove himself in Boston: ‘It’s the best thing I could ask for’

Post by wideclyde Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:00 pm

This guy has a lot to prove, and the Cs need a depth frontcourt player who can shoot from outside.

He will have to rebound and play at least decent defense to earn meaningful rotation minutes, but he may
just also turn out to be the best addition that Stevens has picked up this Summer.

OR, he could just flop and sit deep on the bench while waiting to get traded at the trade deadline.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Celtics trade addition Juancho Hernangomez is eager to prove himself in Boston: ‘It’s the best thing I could ask for’ Empty Re: Celtics trade addition Juancho Hernangomez is eager to prove himself in Boston: ‘It’s the best thing I could ask for’

Post by dboss Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:39 pm

Coach has to figure out who will be our bu at the 4.  He is a candidate as is Grant and Jabari.  

When we go double big then Horford may play the 4.

Curious to find out if Udoka prefer a 3 wing lineup, a PG and a center. If so then Langford may get an opportunity for more.  I assume Nesmith gets minutes in either case.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:13 pm

Dboss….another new addition to the family?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:55 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Dboss….another new addition to the family?
Yes..that is Ava.  She's 5 months old.  She is KJ daughter.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:31 am

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2021/09/29/boston-celtics-juan-hernangomez-start/

Brad Stevens sees Juan Hernangomez as perfect ‘Jays’ complement

by Andrew Hughes
3 days ago

Boston Celtics power forward Juan Hernangomez’ prospects of starting alongside the Jays, Marcus Smart, and Al Horford/Robert Williams definitely look good based on the scuttlebutt that arose out of Cs media day.

The natural power forward has at least one fan of his skillset, and it’s a key guy to have on your side.

That’d be Boston Celtics President of Basketball Operations Brad Stevens, who traded away two backcourt pieces (Kris Dunn, Carsen Edwards) to land the former first-round pick from the Memphis Grizzlies.

Stevens noted called Hernangomez an “accentuater” when describing how the Spaniard may fit in beside the Jays:

I think one of his under-discussed great qualities is his cutting. And with all the attention that Jayson and Jaylen get specifically, the right time to cut is an important quality. And so that’s one of the many things that drew us to him.”

In an ode to former GM Danny Ainge’s quest for ‘shooters with size‘, he also commented on…Hernangomez’ shooting ability and size.

Our very own Mark Nilon likes Hernangomez’ profile as a classic power forward, and it appears Stevens likes some of the ‘old school’–since shooting from the 4 is definitely a very ‘new school’ trait–things he does as well.

Now, I would like to point out at this time that Hernangomez is a career-35% 3-point shooter, so it’s not as though he is antiquated for today’s game.

With that out of the way, it does make sense for a scenario where the man they call “Juancho” ends up starting.

Juan Hernangomez starting at the 4 makes the most sense for the Boston Celtics rotation.

The Eastern Conference is all about supersized frontcourts. Milwaukee won the NBA Championship with Giannis Antetokounmpo at the 3 and could deploy him there again if they decide Bobby Portis is the best P.J. Tucker replacement at the 4. Brooklyn has LaMarcus Aldridge, Blake Griffin, Paul Millsap, and Nic Claxton all potentially lined up for big minutes. Atlanta has John Collins and Clint Capela, New York has Julius Randle and Mitchell Robinson (we think?).

There’s big frontcourts everywhere, and having Jayson Tatum slide down to the 3 will keep him fresher for when the Cs need his shot-creation to get out of rough stretches offensively.

Hernangomez might just have the inside track to the starting power forward job.

Bob
MY NOTE:  For Hernangomez to start that would mean that Jayson moves to 3 and Jaylen to 2 and we're going big with our starting lineup.  If that's the case then I don't see Juan beating out Al Horford for that open "big" starting spot.  This opinion piece was written 3 days ago, so that might have been before all the gushing by Ime about Al.  I think Juan will get his chance, but starting?  Don't see it, not early on.  Al has too much talent, too much experience, too much veteran leadership to bench him in favor of a player who has started a total of 57 games in his 257 game NBA career.  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:26 pm

Dboss, she is absolutely a doll!!! Give KJ my best, she is so cute!

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:30 pm

From what I have heard, Al is in terrific shape and the rumors here are that he will be in the starting lineup. Let's see what tomorrow night brings for starters. It will be interesting to watch another coach on the sidelines, with a fresh different outlook. I read today that he is going to have two captains I am glad to have this honor brought back to the team. How many great players have we had on the Celtics as Captain's. Of course we remember Pierce, before Pierce?
My fondest memory is of John Havlicek taking the last two layups in pregame after all players had stopped shooting and were on the sidelines. He did that for years and years
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:06 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Dboss,  she is absolutely a doll!!!  Give KJ my best, she is so cute!

Rosalie.

Thank you! You do not miss important things.  

I shared her photo on this forum because I am amazingly happy that she is here.  She is a wonderful child.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:17 pm

dboss wrote:

Bravo!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:04 pm

dboss wrote:

Congrats dboss, what a cutie🤣😂🍀💪🙏🍀🍀

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:44 pm

Must be one of the names of the year....we have a great great niece...same name. Kids are growing up, I feel really old when I write this!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:35 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Must be one of the names of the year....we have a great great niece...same name.  Kids are growing up, I feel really old when I write this!!!!

Thanks Rosalie

We feel blessed. Two new grandbabies born in the middle of this pandemic. One up in Boston and one down here in Atlanta.

Life moves on and in the meantime we just get older.

Every single year flies by quicker.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:36 pm

bobc33 wrote:
dboss wrote:

Bravo!

Thank you...

Much appreciated.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:40 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
dboss wrote:

Congrats dboss, what a cutie🤣😂🍀💪🙏🍀🍀

She makes #10. I am clearly a proud grandpa. Thank you.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:02 pm

https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/celtics-reserve-big-man-a-top-trade-target/

Celtics Reserve Big Man ‘A Top Trade Target’

By Adam Taylor
Updated Nov 11, 2021 at 4:38pm

Celtics trade addition Juancho Hernangomez is eager to prove himself in Boston: ‘It’s the best thing I could ask for’ Juancho-Hernangomez-Boston-Celtics-e1636666379713
Juancho Hernangomez trying to keep pace with Gary Harris in a contest between the Boston Celtics and Orlando Magic.

Ten games into the NBA season and teams are starting to understand their rotational hierarchy, and the Boston Celtics are no different as they’ve begun to rely on a core rotation of between eight to ten guys.

One of the Celtics players currently on the outside looking in, is Juancho Hernangomez. The European power forward has struggled for playing time since being acquired by the Celtics over the summer.

According to a recent article from Hoops Hype, Hernangomez’s name has been listed as a potential trade candidate after riding the bench to begin the season, despite being healthy.

“He (Hernangomez) could become available soon if he isn’t already, especially since the Celtics are $6.3 million above the luxury tax. Salary dumping Hernangomez would get the struggling Celtics completely under the luxury tax,” Yossi Gozlan wrote.

Since moving into a front-office role as the President of Basketball Operations, Brad Stevens has continually spoken of the need for financial flexibility, making any move geared towards getting under the luxury tax seem plausible.

How Has Hernangomez Been Playing?

We’re currently 11 games into the new season, and as things stand, Hernangomez finds himself as the Celtics fourth-string power forward, behind Al Horford, Grant Williams, and Jabari Parker.

According to Basketball-Reference, Hernangomez has participated in five of the Celtics’ eleven games thus far, totaling 14 minutes of game time in the process. With such depth at the forward positions, the Celtics have the luxury of leaving stretch-four on the end of their bench, only calling his number during garbage time.

Hernangomez is a career 35.1% shooter from three and is serviceable on the glass, averaging 3.5 rebounds per game for his career. However, with the Celtics placing a premium on defense, it would appear that Hernangomez’s limitation on defense is a sticking point for him.

Basketball Index has tracked Hernangomez’s defensive metrics across a multitude of areas and ranks him as a below-average perimeter defender for his position and an average interior defender while noting that the forward is often tasked with guarding one of the opposing teams worst players.

However, there’s always a role for a capable three-point shooting big who has a reputation for working well off-ball and creating driving lanes with their cutting ability.

“He’s a guy with his size, shooting ability, and cutting ability, that we think could accentuate some of our better players,” Stevens said during a media day press conference, “I think Juancho is an accentuator, I think he has the ability of doing that. And I think one of his under-discussed great qualities is his cutting, and with all the attention Jaylen (Brown) and Jayson (Tatum) get specifically, the right time to cut is an important quality.”

Hernangomez Was Traded Twice During the Offseason

The former Minnesota Timberwolves big-man was traded twice during the off-season, first to the Memphis Grizzlies in a deal that saw Patrick Beverley go in the opposite direction.

Grizzlies PR
@GrizzliesPR
The
@memgrizz
today announced the team acquired Jarrett Culver and Juancho Hernangómez from the Minnesota Timberwolves for Patrick Beverley. In addition, the Grizzlies waived Sean McDermott.
Celtics trade addition Juancho Hernangomez is eager to prove himself in Boston: ‘It’s the best thing I could ask for’ E9qBeFXWYAI4Exu?format=png

Shortly after arriving in Memphis, Hernangomez was packing his bags again as the team shipped him off to Boston in a deal that landed the Grizzlies Kris Dunn and Carsen Edwards.

Now, while struggling for game time with the Celtics’, one would hope that Hernangomez traveled light, as he may be on the move again before the trade deadline as Brad Stevens looks to get the Celtics below the luxury tax.

Bob
MY NOTE:  We are now 12 games into the season and Juancho has played a whopping grand total of 14 minutes.  To be honest this has been quite a surprise to me, perhaps even shock.  I thought for sure he'd leapfrog over Grant Williams and maybe even Parker (assuming Parker found even a little defensive religion), but no.  Jabari Parker has played 41 minutes so far, 3X what Juancho has, and Grant has played 207 (talk about "surprised, perhaps even shock" I can only imagine the internal dialogue going on inside DBoss on this!).

Moses Brown, the young, athletic big that captured Cowens' heart (like every other athletic big does) and that we had for the time it took for him to get a cup of coffee and then traded to Dallas for Josh Richardson has played a grand total of 18 minutes in 6 minutes so far this year.  This is despite the fact that Porzingis has only played in 7 games this year (Dallas has played 12) and has played a total of 128 minutes in those 7 games.  So there has been tons of opportunity for young Moses that he hasn't been able to take advantage of.  

My point is that we might want to consider that Brad might know more than we do.  

Brad traded for Juancho by giving up Kris Dunn, Carsen Edwards and a swappable 2nd round pick.  Both Dunn and Edwards were immediately waived by Memphis and are out of the league.  We got Dunn, Bruno Fernando and a 2nd rounder as part of the Tristan Thompson trade.  Therefore; Thompson + Edwards = Fernando and Hernangomez.  Dunn is a net in/out and the 2nd round picks are effectively a wash (and who cares about 2nd round picks anyway?).  Tristan has played a total of 104 minutes this year for Sacramento, so his playing career has all but dead-ended too.

We unloaded Thompson's contract, without losing much production.  We unloaded Carsen Edwards (not only is there no loss there it is a good thing).  We add two non-players, Fernando and Hernangomez.  If we can trade one of those non-players for a player, even if they're just a one-trick pony that can earn playing time with that trick, then we've won these rolling trades.  If not we have still done no worse than breakeven and, if we have injuries (which we will), having those two PFs for depth might come in handy.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:11 pm

It is funny because both Fernandez and this guy are dying to show what they can do. They are both well liked guys on the team which means that they must have some pretty good practices with them out there. The coach has got to figure this out, period
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down