+5
bobc33
bobheckler
NYCelt
dbrown4
gyso
9 posters

Go down

Ime Udoka On Celtics Players Complaining After Every Call: Empty Ime Udoka On Celtics Players Complaining After Every Call:

Post by gyso Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:51 am

Ime Udoka On Celtics Players Complaining After Every Call: That's Not The Team We Want To Be And That's Not Who I Am. I Don't Want The Team To Start Crying About Every Call."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/ime-udoka-on-celtics-players-complaining-after-every-call-that-s-not-the-team-we-want-to-be-and-that-s-not-who-i-am-i-don-t-want-the-team-to-start-crying-about-every-call/ar-AAPcVOW?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

There's a growing belief around old-school basketball fans that states that young players are more spoiled nowadays.

The referees often make questionable calls but even when a foul - or a no-call - is as clear as day, the players often get on the officials' faces to try and force them to change their minds.

Well, that's not going to happen for the Boston Celtics anymore. At least, not under Ime Udoka's watch.

According to the coach, he told his payers that he just doesn't want them "b*tching" at the referees. Instead, he's going to do all complaining for them and they'd have to focus on one thing and one thing only: Playing.

"Let me b*tсh at the refs. You guys play through plays and move on to the next thing and let me be the guy who complains to the ref. That's not the team we want to be and that's not who I am. I don't want the team to start сrying about every call," the Celtics' new coach said, according to Gary Washburn.

That's a nice thing to hear about a coach, especially as we can vaticinate plenty of complaints going towards the referees next season with the new emphasis on no-calls and offensive fouls.

Then again, Warriors coach Steve Kerr believes that this new rule will actually be good for the league:

“The game needs it,” Kerr said. “I say the same thing all the time. If we’re making calls in the NBA that would literally start fights in a pickup game because they’re so egregious and non-basketball-related — in other words, if I come off a screen in a pickup game and literally hook your arm, flail my arms and then go up for a shot and call a foul, a fight is going to ensue. My whole thing is if we’re making those calls in the NBA, the greatest league in the world, when we couldn’t get through a pickup game, then we’re doing something wrong.”

Hopefully, the referees will get it together and this will be for the best. At the end of the day, all we want to do is enjoy some good basketball and not a never-ending back-and-forth between the refs and the players.

My comment: Nice, but how will he stop it, besides just asking for it to stop? Sit the offender?

Back to top Go down

Ime Udoka On Celtics Players Complaining After Every Call: Empty Re: Ime Udoka On Celtics Players Complaining After Every Call:

Post by dbrown4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:24 am

Nice word of the day...vaticinate - to foretell the future. From Latin vatis - prophesy. Should not surprise anyone to look at this word and think Catholic church. Vatican.

OK. English class is over. Back to basketball!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Ime Udoka On Celtics Players Complaining After Every Call: Empty Re: Ime Udoka On Celtics Players Complaining After Every Call:

Post by NYCelt Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:08 am

Ime gets big props from me on this one.

My biggest complaint about last year's team just behind lack of bigs. One of the things that I dislike most about NBA games overall.

The game seldom comes down to being decided on an official's call anyway, so shut up and play. Main rule I always had with my baseball teams; do not argue with the umps. If something needs to be said, I'll be the one to say it, quietly, face-to-face, between innings. I've seen officials reverse their call from being griped at exactly zero times in any league. Furthermore it doesn't set the tone to alert them to get it right next time, it just causes bias against your own team.

If Ime can especially get Tatum and Smart to shut the heck up, he'll be halfway there.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:25 am

I'm not worried about Smart, he works the refs smartly (no play on words intended), it's Tatum I want Ime to shut down. As NYCelt said, I have seen refs reverse their calls exactly zero times Jayson Tatum has thrown his arms up in the air like a goony bird trying to land on a guano-encrusted atoll. Zero.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:07 pm

How to stop it? It would be interesting to see Ime pull Tatum from a game after beefing and not getting back on D. Probably would put a stop to the behavior both with Tatum and the rest of the team.

Of course he’d be taking a risk perhaps ticking off his best player. Worth watching that is for sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:30 pm

bobheckler wrote:I'm not worried about Smart, he works the refs smartly (no play on words intended), it's Tatum I want Ime to shut down.  As NYCelt said, I have seen refs reverse their calls exactly zero times Jayson Tatum has thrown his arms up in the air like a goony bird trying to land on a guano-encrusted atoll.  Zero.

Bob

Smart was also a main offender and if you recall he got suspended. I noticed after that the refs seemed to treat him differently. Tatum complains on every call it seems.

Overall I like Ime approach here. I expect him to make players accountable. Complaining about calls wastes a lot of mental energy.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:47 pm

In the interview that I watching Ime was asked about his rotation and he stated that he can go 12 deep but not all the time. He also mentioned a 9-10 deep rotation. That sounds about right as it lends itself to more continuity.

It would be nice to see the Celtics blow teams out by the end of the 3rd QTR so that guys that do not get a lot of minutes can play.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:23 pm

Bravo……I was so sick of this practice last year it drove me crazy. Shut up, rebound, get back in the play on play on. I was happy to read this. It has been a bad habit of this team
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:32 pm

This is/was the number one topic on my Friday morning Cs breakfast group's 'things to change' for this season.

The constant complaining last season was probably the most frustrating thing about last year's team. We even had one of our members drop out due to the whining on every single call.

It (the constant complaining) never does anything positive so I really hope that Udoka will back up his plan and he can sit anyone he wants at any time to get his point across.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by painter33 Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:38 pm

The players, especially Tatum, complained because their coach was too passive to make their case. Stevens crossed his arms and stood, like a cigar store statue, saying nothing while the referees abused their power in calls/non-calls. Having a coach stand up for his/her players earns their respect, which Stevens lost during his coaching tenure.
painter33
painter33

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:12 pm

Painter33 nice avatar!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down