dbrown4
6 posters

Go down

POST GAME DALLAS - AWAY Empty POST GAME DALLAS - AWAY

Post by 112288 Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:31 am

Celtics Wrap: Luka Doncic Buzzer-Beater Sinks Boston As Mavericks Win
This was almost too predictable

NESN by Alexandra Francisco

Unfortunately, it came with a Luka Doncic heartbreaker after the Dallas Mavericks superstar got to his special spot (giving him the ball with a poorly-timed foul wasn’t great) and drilled a step-back, 3-pointer with three defenders in his face. And it lifted the host Mavericks to a 107-104 buzzer-beating win over the Boston Celtics on Saturday night.

The Celtics fall to 4-6 on the season while Dallas improves to 6-3.

Here’s the full box score.

ONE KEY TAKEAWAY
After 10 games, the spacing issues seem to be here to stay on offense, with the Celtics freezing from the perimeter. The Mavericks provided a great chance to play into Robert Williams or Al Horford from the high post — as Williams especially was a nightmare for Dallas. That worked well in flashes through Dennis Schröder and Marcus Smart. But still concerns on defense could have compensated for that, where Boston boasts an absurd amount of ] versatility, but continue to switch way too much. There’s a balance there.

They started to string it all together in the final minutes of the fourth quarter, though. Better ball movement, big energy plays from Williams, double teams and full court presses — there was great, fun basketball played. Boston just needs to do a better job feeling things out sooner as a team.

STARS OF THE GAME
— After a really encouraging win against the Miami Heat, the Celtics needed a big game from Jayson Tatum. They got it Saturday night, as he helped them close the gap on a 19-point Dallas lead. The two-time All-Star finished with 32 points, 11 rebounds, two assists, two steals and a block.

— Schröder looks like a better signing every day. He was the first player on offense to fall into some sort of rhythm for the Celtics and prevented things from getting out of hand. He also was the first player to start attacking the paint when shots weren’t falling early en route to 20 points, four rebounds and six assists.

— Against his old team, Josh Richardson played perhaps his best game as a Celtic. He cut Boston’s lead to four points with five minutes left in the fourth, and played well on both sides of the court, forcing a turnover just a few sequences later. He made some big plays late, in addition to 13 points, two rebounds, three assists and a block.

UP NEXT
The Celtics still are in search of their first win at TD Garden. They look to get it Wednesday against the Toronto Raptors.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME DALLAS - AWAY Empty Re: POST GAME DALLAS - AWAY

Post by dbrown4 Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:54 am

I really don't know what to say.  We're at the halfway point of the first 20 games on the books.  The idea that just popped into my head was this looks like a re-shuffle of last year, just slightly worse overall.  Projecting out, that means another trip to the Les Robinson Invitational Play-In games only to be rewarded for winning that set of games to go against the #1 or #2 seeds in the East and head home after either being swept or gentlemenly swept.  Or head to the Draft Board.  

I know.  10 games does not a season make.  And there will be many a slip betwixt the cup and the lip. (Anyone?  Name the play to make it harder!)  We've seen some changes, some good things and some bad things and at this point, they are just about even and that matches our scorecard so far including our more than fair share of OT games resulting in losses.  This game was no exception.  Had a chance to win, i.e. still in a position to win the game at the end.  The difference between winning and losing is wahfer-thin.  (Another one, for those who like British humor...ok I've said too much.  But name the skit.)  But for whatever reason(s), we're just coming up short.

Steady flashes of brilliance - Al, Menace, RWIII.

Works in progress - Both J's, PP, AN, GW, JR, JP, Romeo, MS (he's a tweener for these first two categories.  He does so much in the intangible world that almost erases work in progress tag)

No shows - EK, Fernando, Hernangomez

That's a pretty weak list.  One could easily argue we are fortunate to be at 4-6 so count your blessings.  Until our two superstars get out of the middle funk category for sure and the bulk of the team gets out of that same category by moving up, this bs of win one, lose one, win one, lose two, win two, lose three is going to continue indefinitely.  

So I conclude, this looks like a re-shuffle of last year's team to date.  Not very pleased.  Get League Pass on the phone! JK    

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:55 am

Once again this game came down to execution down the stretch or a lack thereof.

According to the box score the Celtics outscored the Mavs in the 3rd and 4th qtrs.

Marcus Smart made a 3 pointer with 2:12 on the clock putting us up 104-102  After Pozingas tied the game on a dunk and a block by him on Schroder.  They turned the ball over and then Dennis the menace turned it over again.  Tatum rebounds a bullock 3 with 43 seconds remaining and the score still tied at 104-104.  Then Marcus attempts a driving/floating jumper that looked more like an attempt to pick up a foul from Porzingas.

I was perplexed that Ime did not call a timeout before that play to set something up.

The Mavs called a TO and Ime stated that he told the team not to foul even though they had a foul to waste.  Apparently Marcus did not get the message because with the shot clock running down he commits a foul.  That foul eliminated any opportunity for us to get another shot albeit probably around 4 seconds.

So you have two brain fart plays from Marcus and a lack of communication from Ime as well as some ill advised plays from Schroder.  Marcus should never have taken that shot.  Ime should have called a timeout at the 43.5 second mark when Tatum got the rebound off of a missed Bullock 3 pointer.  

Some good things did happen in the game, including JT finding his stroke, Richardson earning his paycheck and Robert Williams scoring 16 points while going 7-8 from the field.  He also had 8 rebounds including 4 off the offensive glass. He is averaging 31 minutes per game.

Some not so good things also happened.  Nesmith had the 'Jitters' again.  (I'm blaming ktron for that)  Al Horford went 0-4 from deep.  No normal concern about one game but he has been dreadful all year long.  He is shooting a career low from the field at 43% and his 3 point shooting is bad at only 27%.  How long will it be before those make believe young legs go as limp as a corpse?  PP and the nose mask are not working.  GW rode the bench for all but 5 minutes.

Even though we were missing JB, this was a very winnable game.  Too many mistakes and mental errors with the game on the line lost this game for us. Ime was part of the problem.

Ime is Time without the T.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:34 pm

Considering we were without JB and Romeo, we didn’t have a big part of our team. The athletic advantages I saw against the Heat were not there without our best player. Watching Smart labor in the first half made me realize how much 2 J’s mask his deficiencies, he’s really not a PG. I dare anyone to watch that first half and point out some good plays Smart had on offense.

Dboss already pointed out the brain farts he made at crunch time. I know a season is a long process, but to me Udoka hasn’t done his homework, I see no good calls in end of game situations. If anyone has seen a glimmer of anything, let me know maybe I’m missing it. Maybe figure out a way to have 2 J’s play off each other or something. Until clueless Udoka comes up with something we are gonna blow a lot more close games.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:17 pm

dboss wrote:Once again this game came down to execution down the stretch or a lack thereof.

According to the box score the Celtics outscored the Mavs in the 3rd and 4th qtrs.

Marcus Smart made a 3 pointer with 2:12 on the clock putting us up 104-102  After Pozingas tied the game on a dunk and a block by him on Schroder.  They turned the ball over and then Dennis the menace turned it over again.  Tatum rebounds a bullock 3 with 43 seconds remaining and the score still tied at 104-104.  Then Marcus attempts a driving/floating jumper that looked more like an attempt to pick up a foul from Porzingas.

I was perplexed that Ime did not call a timeout before that play to set something up.

The Mavs called a TO and Ime stated that he told the team not to foul even though they had a foul to waste.  Apparently Marcus did not get the message because with the shot clock running down he commits a foul.  That foul eliminated any opportunity for us to get another shot albeit probably around 4 seconds.

So you have two brain fart plays from Marcus and a lack of communication from Ime as well as some ill advised plays from Schroder.  Marcus should never have taken that shot.  Ime should have called a timeout at the 43.5 second mark when Tatum got the rebound off of a missed Bullock 3 pointer.  

Some good things did happen in the game, including JT finding his stroke, Richardson earning his paycheck and Robert Williams scoring 16 points while going 7-8 from the field.  He also had 8 rebounds including 4 off the offensive glass.  He is averaging 31 minutes per game.

Some not so good things also happened.  Nesmith had the 'Jitters' again.  (I'm blaming ktron for that)  Al Horford went 0-4 from deep.  No normal concern about one game but he has been dreadful all year long.  He is shooting a career low from the field at 43% and his 3 point shooting is bad at only 27%.  How long will it be before those make believe young legs go as limp as a corpse?  PP and the nose mask are not working.  GW rode the bench for all but 5 minutes.

Even though we were missing JB, this was a very winnable game.  Too many mistakes and mental errors with the game on the line lost this game for us. Ime was part of the problem.

Ime is Time without the T.

Dboss, If the Head Coach tells the players not to foul and your 8 yr vet All defense starting PG fouls anyway, than thats on the player not the coach. It appears that every sliver of a chance you get to criticize Ime, you jump at it. I know, you want his job but you’re not getting it.
I keep hearing folks say that the mask is bothering PP’s shot. Yup, the same type mask that bothered and killed Rip Hamilton’s, Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, Amare Stoudemire’s, and LeBron James’ career. Can’t wait till PP rids himself of that dreaded mask and goes bombs away ala Steph Curry. Kill the mask before it kills another All NBA players career.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:27 pm

Let’s continue to blame the coach for our lack of talent and Vets making mistakes they shouldn’t be making. I can accept a coaches mistake especially within the first 10 games in his first year.
Some folks who blamed Brad for having JB on the bench when he should have been playing more minutes now criticize Ime for not resting him on the bench and putting in Schizophrenic Nesmith or Sick Bay Romeo.
Our head coach still has lots to learn but this avalanche of convenient short sighted criticism has me crying from laughing so hard.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:34 pm

Cow

I call it as I see it.

But I am compelled to give it more time.  In all fairness to the players and coach Udoka I think we should give them more time.  10 games in does not tell us a lot other than that the team and coaching needs to be much better.  At least the team played well defensively during the 3 game road trip.  Coach has impacted that side of the ball.

So let's give this rookie head coach some space to figure things out.

Let's see if the next 10 games reveal anything to hang our hats on.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:41 pm

Ktron you are full of baloney 

I am not looking to criticize the coach.  I am just pointing out the things that I see.

Apparently Marcus did not know not to foul but even so coach should have called a timeout so hero ball Marcus does not take the ridiculous shot.

Marcus was allowed to screw up because coach let the team down with poor communication and decision making.

I criticized Marcus and the coach.  You got a problem with that?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:20 pm

dboss wrote:Ktron you are full of baloney 

I am not looking to criticize the coach.  I am just pointing out the things that I see.

Apparently Marcus did not know not to foul but even so coach should have called a timeout so hero ball Marcus does not take the ridiculous shot.

Marcus was allowed to screw up because coach let the team down with poor communication and decision making.

No I have a problem with your continuous  assumptions or presumptions when it comes to our coach. You’re blaming the coach for a directive that he gave to all of his players and calling it a communication issue because Smart did otherwise. explain that please. I just happened to be at that game last night. Not on the bench but damn close to it and it appeared to me that Marcus took it upon hisself to do what he did. Did i hear Ime tell them not to foul? No but I don’t think he’s a liar either.
When a player makes a mistake, you either blame Ime or you blame the player and Ime. You’re assuming and presuming which in actuality turns out to be a guess on your part. Damn, even if Ime didn’t tell them not to foul, He certainly didn’t tell them to foul. An 8 yr vet knows better. Or should. That’s not the only mistake Marcus made at the end of the game either. You going to blame Ime for that too? Oh, he should’ve called T.O. What are we watching, Romper Room. Just because you think he should’ve called T.O. Doesn’t mean he should’ve call T.O. Lots of good coaches would not have used that T.O. Lots of coaches trust their vets and there’s a good chance they’ve already went over this particular scenario in practices. They do that too and you know it.
Please lay off our rookie coach. GD its’s only November…Coach!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:15 pm

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:Ktron you are full of baloney 

No I have a problem with your continuous  assumptions or presumptions when it comes to our coach. You’re blaming the coach for a directive that he gave to all of his players and calling it a communication issue because Smart did otherwise. explain that please. I just happened to be at that game last night. Not on the bench but damn close to it and it appeared to me that Marcus took it upon hisself to do what he did. Did i hear Ime tell them not to foul? No but I don’t think he’s a liar either.
When a player makes a mistake, you either blame Ime or you blame the player and Ime. You’re assuming and presuming which in actuality turns out to be a guess on your part. Damn, even if Ime didn’t tell them not to foul, He certainly didn’t tell them to foul. An 8 yr vet knows better. Or should. That’s not the only mistake Marcus made at the end of the game either. You going to blame Ime for that too? Oh, he should’ve called T.O. What are we watching, Romper Room. Just because you think he should’ve called T.O. Doesn’t mean he should’ve call T.O. Lots of good coaches would not have used that T.O. Lots of coaches trust their vets and there’s a good chance they’ve already went over this particular scenario in practices. They do that too and you know it.
Please lay off our rookie coach. GD its’s only November…Coach!
Ktron 

Ime said he needed to do a better job communicating.  He was sort of protecting his player.  I do not think Marcus intentionally went against the coaches wishes.  I think he was not listening in the huddle.  

As it turns out he should have called a timeout with 43 seconds left and get a play set up.   If you think it was a good coaching decision to let them play on that is your opinion.  You are not the coaches PR guy. Let him take his lumps like any other rookie coach.  

I am still going to give him a fair oppotunity to become a better coach.  But I am not going to ignore how he coaches especially when a loss should have been a win.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:26 pm

Dboss, You’re saying he should’ve called a TO to set up a play and thats your opinion. Coach obviously disagrees.
You’re also giving the opposing team a chance to prepare for whatever you have set up. Contrary to that, why not run something that you’ve undoubtedly went through in one of your practices. Maybe they haven’t painted that scenario in practice. Odds are they have.
I’m not trying to be anyone’s PR person that I’m not getting compensated for. I’m trying to be fair, objective and realistic. You said that your going to give him a fair opportunity to become a better coach. Well, you’re off to a pretty bad start. I don’t think you’re being fair at all. IMHO.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:25 pm

dboss wrote:Cow

I call it as I see it.

But I am compelled to give it more time.  In all fairness to the players and coach Udoka I think we should give them more time.  10 games in does not tell us a lot other than that the team and coaching needs to be much better.  At least the team played well defensively during the 3 game road trip.  Coach has impacted that side of the ball.

I never said I wouldn’t give him more time, not like my opinions matter, I’m just calling it the way I see it too. Our execution in tight games at the end has been lacking in alot of things, if some are happy with that fine….you would hope with 2 all star wings, someone the players or coaches would figure out something better than Smart driving; it’s obvious he doesn’t have a lot of confidence in those situations himself and I realize JB was out, but even then it seemed like he wasn’t used much at crunch time either. So since he has this job of head coach, he knows abundantly more than me, obviously, but I can still call it like I see it.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:38 am

No Jaylen, no Romeo. They had Porzingis. Went down 17, came back to tie and they needed a hero ball 3 by Luka to pull it out. Do this again, fully manned, and then we'll see.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:35 am

Hey Ktron,

Trying to figure out your avatar. Except for 2 of them being perfect squares, and the only other one without checking looks like the winning numbers for the fat guy in Lost, I'm stuck!! Since I'm a numbers guy, I have to know!!

db

P.S. Yeah, it ain't Lost's numbers. 4 8 15 16 23 42

Many pardons if you have already answered this somewhere else. Maybe retired Celtics jerseys?...No that ain't it either. Russell, Sanders, Sam Jones and K.C. Jones all work but that leaves 12 which hasn't been retired and while the list is long, Don Chaney only really sticks out. (Believe it or not Dominique is in there!!) OK, I'm tapping out!! Please explain! Thanks!
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:18 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
dboss wrote:Cow

I call it as I see it.

I never said I wouldn’t give him more time, not like my opinions matter, I’m just calling it the way I see it too. Our execution in tight games at the end has been lacking in alot of things, if some are happy with that fine….you would hope with 2 all star wings, someone the players or coaches would figure out something better than Smart driving; it’s obvious he doesn’t have a lot of confidence in those situations himself and I realize JB was out, but even then it seemed like he wasn’t used much at crunch time either. So since he has this job of head coach, he knows abundantly more than me, obviously, but I can still call it like I see it.
+1
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:12 am

[quote="dbrown4"]Hey Ktron,

Trying to figure out your avatar.  Except for 2 of them being perfect squares, and the only other one without checking looks like the winning numbers for the fat guy in Lost, I'm stuck!!  Since I'm a numbers guy, I have to know!!

db

P.S.  Yeah, it ain't Lost's numbers.  4 8 15 16 23 42

Many pardons if you have already answered this somewhere else.  Maybe retired Celtics jerseys?...No that ain't it either.  Russell, Sanders, Sam Jones and K.C. Jones all work but that leaves 12 which hasn't been retired and while the list is long, Don Chaney only really sticks out.  (Believe it or not Dominique is in there!!)  OK, I'm tapping out!!  Please explain!  Thanks! [/quote
Hey D, Those are the Jersey numbers of the first all Black starting 5 in the NBA. The Celts were the first to do it. #12 is Willie Naulls.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:43 am

Yes, they were!! Nice!! I was close!! OK, in the ball park! Alright, I missed it completely! Thank you for clarifying!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:45 am

Those do look like good lottery numbers, though!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:56 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Those do look like good lottery numbers, though!!  

db
Hmmmm.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down