The One Boston Celtic Who Has Been, "The Best Version of Themselves" Most of This Season

+2
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

The One Boston Celtic Who Has Been, "The Best Version of Themselves" Most of This Season Empty The One Boston Celtic Who Has Been, "The Best Version of Themselves" Most of This Season

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:21 pm

https://fullcourtpress.bulletin.com/the-one-boston-celtic-who-has-been-the-best-version-of-themselves-most-of-this-season/

The One Boston Celtic Who Has Been, "The Best Version of Themselves" Most of This Season 267522479_214956277467314_276151603840818960_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=37d4d5&_nc_ohc=hJv_E26OxR4AX8_76-B&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1

The One Boston Celtic Who Has Been, "The Best Version of Themselves" Most of This Season

Josh Richardson is averaging 10.7 points per game while shooting career-highs from the field and 3-point range. Oh yeah, he just dropped a season-high 27 on the Knicks, too.

Sherrod Blakely
Today

It’s fair to say that for the most part, we haven’t seen that from the Celtics this season.

That’s how a team with a pair of All-Stars under 25 years of age find themselves a middle-of-the-road club, record-wise.

But the underwhelming and at times underachieving ways of the Celtics this year does not apply to Josh Richardson.

When he came to town, the concern was about his ability.

Specifically, could he knock down an open shot or two?

Can his game mesh with the teams' stars, Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown?

Richardson has on many levels, exceeded the expectations placed before him and has been one of the few relatively consistent players for Boston this season when he has been available.

And it is that latter point, availability, that seems to be the biggest knock against Richardson this season.

He has had a number of minor ailments along with a recent bid in the league’s health and safety protocol program after testing positive for the coronavirus earlier this month.

But when he has been able to play, he has played well.

He certainly was all that and then some on Friday night in helping Boston to a 114-107 win over the New York Knicks.

Richardson, averaging 10.7 points per game this season, finished the night with a season-high 27 points off the bench, his fourth straight game scoring in double figures.

That’s not the real surprise with Richardson, a double-digit scorer in all but his rookie season.

But he’s doing it now at a level of efficiency we haven’t seen from him, ever.

He’s shooting 47.5 percent from the field, a career-best mark for the 28-year-old who is now in his seventh NBA season.

Richardson is also shooting 40.5 percent from 3-point range, also a career-best mark.

His breakout performance against the Knicks came after being placed in the league’s health and safety protocol program after a positive covid test result shortly before the Celtics played at Phoenix on December 10.

The game against the Suns was the end of the team’s West Coast trip.

Because of Richardson’s positive test result, not only was he unable to play with the team against the Suns (a game in which they lost), but he also had to stay behind afterward while they returned to Boston.

“I found out I had tested positive, the morning of the (Phoenix game),” Richardson told reporters. “I watched a lot of film, slept a lot. My Xbox was broke, too. That made it a lot worse. I couldn’t even play the game like I wanted to.”

Of course, no one wants any player or person for that matter to test positive for the coronavirus or its variants. But Richardson acknowledges that the time spent resting his body without any practices or games to play has helped his return to the floor.

“Being able to have one off-day is huge,” said Richardson who missed two games following the positive test result. “Five off days definitely different, good for my legs.”

And it’s good for the Celtics (14-14) as they try to navigate a path towards more wins which can only be aided by Richardson’s availability and ability to do what he’s doing so well now which is to impact the game when called upon.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The One Boston Celtic Who Has Been, "The Best Version of Themselves" Most of This Season Empty Re: The One Boston Celtic Who Has Been, "The Best Version of Themselves" Most of This Season

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:11 pm

I said it earlier in the season and then again last night. I love what Josh Richardson brings to the team. He struggled in the first few games, then settled in and has helped the Celtics whenever he is called upon. Nothing flashy about him, just a hard working player who will do whatever the team needs, defense? yup. offense? yup. Not big numbers like last night, but hitting shots consistently.

Funny, I am sitting here watching tv, and the G League is on. Tremont Waters is on the Bucks G League team. This league has some hungry guys playing, with all this covid going around, I think there are guys who will get a shot at the big league sooner rather than later.

I guess Philly cancelled their game today, wonder what the status is of tomorrow's game. This is getting bad again....
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

The One Boston Celtic Who Has Been, "The Best Version of Themselves" Most of This Season Empty Re: The One Boston Celtic Who Has Been, "The Best Version of Themselves" Most of This Season

Post by dbrown4 Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:15 pm

You think JR is like an Eddie House, Jr., Rosalie?

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:53 pm

I think he could be, he is definitely a piece in this Celtics puzzle that I would like to keep. He may not be a quick shooter like Eddie but he has mastered that little 15 footer, he is in the mix all the times for rebounds, and last night he hit his three’s which kept us in the game when they were struggling. Not a complainer, just does his job
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:01 am

Love the way he defends, he did a phenomenal job on Curry

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:31 am

I lived in south Florida when Richardson was with the Heat. Philly and Dallas never used him properly. He's not that guy that stands in the corner and shoots 3s.He can handle the rock and probe the defense when called upon. He can guard small quick guards and big strong ones. I hope he sticks around.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:25 am

The question of whether or not Boston should seek out that 3rd player to form a new big 3 has been kicked around quite a bit.

Do you have to have a big 3 to win?  

Can you also win with 2 allstars and solid players in the rotation 3-9 or 3-10?

I think a team with 7 double digit scorers should be able to compete provided these scorers are efficient.

Richardson is a case in point.  He came here with declining efficiency numbers but seems to be finding a niche for playing with pace.  His defense looks pretty solid and he is scoring at all 3 levels.  He has another year after this one under contract.  He seems to fit in well on this team.  

If Boston was looking to add a 3rd high end player, Josh would probably be part of any deal.  He has been a starter in each of his previous 4 years and in total has been a starter in 299 games out of the 395 he has played in.  His role has changed now that he is coming off the bench and he is starting to figure out how he can impact winning.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:17 pm

If not the first, he is one of the first players off the bench. So do we consider him a 6th man? Whatever he is, it is working and he is enjoyable to watch. He is always moving, in an offense where motion is so important. I said before, to me he is a keeper. This is the kind of player this team needs
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down