Big Papi makes the Hall of Fame!

2 posters

Go down

Big Papi makes the Hall of Fame! Empty Big Papi makes the Hall of Fame!

Post by NYCelt Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:57 pm

David Ortiz gets elected to The Hall…

…and a day later there’s no mention? Here on a Boston fan board?

So an Orioles fan from Western NY has to post it.

WELL DESERVED. Loved the joy Papi played with.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Big Papi makes the Hall of Fame! Empty Re: Big Papi makes the Hall of Fame!

Post by BaronV Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:22 pm

As a Yankees fan, I'll still say that Papi belongs in the hall. One of the best players of his era, and a key contributor to multiple championship teams.

That said, if he's in, especially on the 1st ballot, then Bonds and Clemens should have been too. While Papi has clear HoF credentials, those two guys are all-time greats. And like Papi, they had unproven steroid rumors swirling around them, though in both their examples, actual court cases didn't link them to steroid use. So via them being general pricks to the media and the steroid rumors, they didn't get in, but Ortiz did in the same year those guys were falling off the ballot seems odd.

Along those lines, I'm glad A-Rod didn't have a great showing. Unlike the others, he was caught (twice) and while he should be in based on his numbers, I hope, like Bonds and Clemens, that the Veterans' Committee has to put him there if he gets in at all.

BaronV

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:30 pm

BaronV wrote:As a Yankees fan, I'll still say that Papi belongs in the hall.  One of the best players of his era, and a key contributor to multiple championship teams.  

That said, if he's in, especially on the 1st ballot, then Bonds and Clemens should have been too.  While Papi has clear HoF credentials, those two guys are all-time greats.  And like Papi, they had unproven steroid rumors swirling around them, though in both their examples, actual court cases didn't link them to steroid use.  So via them being general pricks to the media and the steroid rumors, they didn't get in, but Ortiz did in the same year those guys were falling off the ballot seems odd.  

Along those lines, I'm glad A-Rod didn't have a great showing.  Unlike the others, he was caught (twice) and while he should be in based on his numbers, I hope, like Bonds and Clemens, that the Veterans' Committee has to put him there if he gets in at all.  

I think there may eventually need to be asterisks on players elected but carrying the label of steroid era suspects.

Bonds, Clemens, A-Rod and possibly Palmiero. You're right that personality plays into it and everyone loved Ortiz.

Might be they'll have to look at Rose and Joe Jackson in a similar way as well. Hard to ignore their accomplishments.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down