cowens/oldschool
Shamrock1000
gyso
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

The Buyout Market Empty The Buyout Market

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:25 pm

We are now in the time period between the trade deadline and where teams start buying players out. I've never understood why, if you have to pay them why not use them, but it is what it is.

For a team to use a player picked up off of waivers and playoff eligible that player must be signed by March 1st, 18 days from today.

As players become available, and get snapped up, let's post it here.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Buyout Market Empty Re: The Buyout Market

Post by gyso Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:16 pm

Wow, I just read this.

Traditionally speaking, the buyout market has represented false hope.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-fact-or-fiction-goran-dragic-dennis-schroder-and-the-buyout-market-185753243.html

Okay. So does "beginning a new season" for 80% of the NBA fan base (maybe more). Hope, real or false, is what keeps most fans coming back for more.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:33 pm

Goran Dragic just got bought out by San Antonio.

Top teams in hot pursuit, allegedly, are Milwaukee (who just lost Connaughton to hand surgery and DiVincenzo in trade), the Lakers (who are flailing about looking for a savior everywhere) and his old team Miami.  

How about us, Brad? Ime likes uptempo. Dragic, even at his age, is still a full court player, and a damn good one too.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:11 pm

Is Tatum's buddy Harry Giles available?

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:29 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:Is  Tatum's buddy Harry Giles available?

Other than being 6’11” has Giles ever shown anything? he’s shown way less than Romeo Langford IMHO

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:18 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:Is  Tatum's buddy Harry Giles available?

Other than being 6’11” has Giles ever shown anything? he’s shown way less than Romeo Langford IMHO

I'm not really pushing fir Giles, but over 142 games at ~13 minutes per game he averaged ~6 points, almost 4 rebounds, and an assist while shooting 52% with a PER of 15. It's a matter of expectations. Obviously he flopped relative to his early hype, but aren't the numbers above reasonable for an end-of-the-bench minimum salary player necessary to fill out a roster for less than half a sesson?

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:48 am

The Buyout Market Tempor12

Tick, tick, tick . . .

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:30 am

Dragic signed with Brooklyn.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:11 pm

Buyout Market = Bottom of the Bucket... IMO

Just go get Jabari Parker from limbo and Gerald Green from Rio Grande to fill the last chairs for the remainder of the season.

They can come in and fill it up when a little scoring is needed and defense isn't required of them.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:37 pm

Just to get Cowens' juices going let me point out that the subject of his man-crush, Moses Brown, was released 2 weeks ago by the Dallas Mavericks after the Dinwiddie trade and is still available on the free market.  I don't know if Brad can sign him, it might be too soon for him to return to Boston under the CBA, but he's available for someone but nobody's biting.  If he is available, and Brad hasn't signed him already, he's probably not coming back.  Hell, he signed Luke Kornet for the rest of the season instead of Brown.  If he could come back, but Brad went with Kornet instead, that says tons.  Furthermore, we still have 2 open slots that need to be filled by this Thursday.  If signing Brown is possible, and he doesn't do it, you can pretty much close the book on Mr. Brown.  Not just the Celtics, but the the NBA.  He's 7' tall, been available for 2 weeks, he'll work for peanuts and nobody wants him.

In fact, think about it in the bigger picture.  Brad traded Moses Brown plus a TPE to Dallas for Josh Richardson.  Brad has since traded Josh Richardson plus Romeo plus this year's 1st round pick plus a 2028 first round pick swap to San Antonio for Derrick White.  Romeo, of course, was the fruit of Danny's fleecing of Bryan Colangelo of the Sixers in the Tatum/Fultz trade.  Brown came to the Celtics in the first place as part of the Horford/Kemba trade with OKC.

Therefore:

Horford + White = Kemba + 2022 pick + 2028 pick swap

Brown was a freebie in the Kemba trade, so there was/is no cost associated with him either.  What's left of that is the relative values of Horford vs Kemba.  

Josh cost us Brown, who is currently out of the league, so he was virtually free (I don't give a damn about the TPE we gave Dallas) since a player that cannot get a job in the NBA, by definition, has no value as an NBA player. We got Josh and gave up nothing of value to get him. Josh was free and the same is true with Romeo.  He was a freebie in the Tatum/Fultz trade which, as we all know, was a steal of epic proportions.

Do you think adding Horford and Derrick White is worth giving up Kemba plus a pick that will likely be in the low-mid 20s and a wtf knows pick in 2028?  

I do.

Brad doesn't deserve credit for drafting Romeo (other than his input in the draft day war room), that was Danny's coup, but the rest is Brad.  Not too shabby for a rook.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:57 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2022/03/examining-celtics-free-agent-buyout-possibilities-ahead-of-playoff-eligibility-deadline.html

Examining Celtics free agent buyout possibilities ahead of playoff eligibility deadline

Updated: Mar. 01, 2022, 11:35 a.m. | Published: Mar. 01, 2022, 11:35 a.m.

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

The Boston Celtics still have one open roster remaining and could have as many as three later this week once their current 10-day deals with forward Malik Fitts and Kelan Martin expire. Those potential open slots make the team a theoretical player in the NBA midseason buyout market with March 1st looming as a key deadline for playoff teams around the league when it comes to available players.

In order for a player to retain postseason eligibility for a new NBA team, said player must be waived before midnight on March 2nd. The Celtics or any other playoff team can signed waived players after that date still but they no longer would be available to suit up for the postseason if they are still on a team as of March 2nd. Any player who is waived or is already a free agent by the end of the day on March 1st can sign with any team up until the final day of there regular season (April 10th and still become playoff eligible.

The one exception to that rule is players that are currently on 10-day deals which include Martin, Fitts, Drew Eubanks (Blazers), Willie Cauley-Stein (76ers), Tim Frazier (Cavs), Haywood Highsmith (Heat), DJ Wilson (Raptors) and Alize Johnson (Pelicans). All of those players will still be playoff eligible as well when their current 10-day deals expire.

It’s been a pretty quiet market on the whole so far in 2022 compared to recent seasons. Most of the signings have taken place in the East with Goran Dragic, Tristan Thompson, Jevon Carter, DeAndre Bembry all finding new homes in recent weeks with East contenders. DJ Augustin was the last player to find a new home on Monday after the Lakers opted to sign him and waive big man DeAndre Jordan.

So what exactly are the Celtics looking for to fill out their roster in the next few days? Brad Stevens spoke to MassLive last week about his priorities while evaluating the roster.

“I think the No. 1 thing when you look at our team is we have pretty good depth down the line with ballhandlers,” Stevens said. “We have pretty good depth with the addition of Kornet and Theis with our bigs. We want to make sure we are as fortified in the wing area and specifically in versatile wings that can guard a number of positions and can be 3-and-D type plug-in players. I think that’s really important. I’m excited to learn more about Malik (Fitts) and Kenan (Martin)… Both of those guys are big, strong guys that can guard a number of positions and that are hungry.

“I think one of the things I’m really alert to as we figure out how to fortify the roster with our biggest needs is those guys that are going to be able to add to the environment because the environment is really good right now. Everybody is pulling in a good direction. Our focus right now is on wings and we will see where the rest of the games take us. We do have some flexibility here moving forward which is good.”

So what are some notable names on the wing that could potentially shake free by the midnight deadline from a rebuilding squad? Let’s take a look at who is on the market in that mold and who may end up pushing for a late buyout

Gary Harris: The veteran shooting guard has played well for the Magic off the bench all year long but is on an expiring deal for a team that’s deep in the backcourt. League sources told MassLive that the Magic have shown no interest in a buyout to this point but the return of Markelle Fultz may make Harris push for a chance with a contender. He would certainly be the top prize on the buyout market if he is waived but the odds look to be against it at this point.

Eric Bledsoe: He’s got a partial guarantee for next season worth a few million and hasn’t not suited up for the Blazers since being acquired. If Portland wants to use his non-guaranteed salary as a trade tool this offseason, he could stick around. Otherwise, Bledsoe could push for a chance elsewhere instead of sitting around for a tanking Blazers squad before hitting free agency.

Cory Joseph: Another veteran on a rebuilding team would be good depth in the backcourt for any contender. However, the Pistons are starting to play well since the Break so it’s doubtful they cut Joseph loose unless he pushes for it. Given that he’s getting big minutes there, it’s hard to see it happening.

Mike Muscala: The Thunder big man has not played the last 10 games for Oklahoma City as the team focuses on developing their youth. There have been no whispers of a buyout just yet but as a big who can stretch the floor, Muscle would attract plenty of interest if he pushes for a new opportunity elsewhere ahead of free agency.

Current free agents

Joe Johnson:
The Celtics brought him in once for 10-day deals and people around the organization have raved about his impact. His veteran influence could be a welcome development if no better options surface with one of the team’s final roster spots.

E’Twaun Moore: He was waived by Orlando at the trade deadline but the former Celtic was a part of a Phoenix team that made a run to NBA Finals last year. As emergency bench depth, he could be a good option in backcourt.

G-League options: Instead of a proven NBA player, the Celtics could simply try to try to pluck one of the best developmental options still available in the G-League and sign them to a non-guaranteed long-term deal in hopes they can earn a roster spot next year. It wouldn’t help much in the present but the possibility of landing a contributor for the long haul could pay major dividends for a team with limited cap flexibility for the foreseeable future.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:23 pm

signing Brown would be a waste. They are paying Theis enough money to fill in the gap at center at times. My problem is, does Ime really want him????? He has only given him minutes when either they are winning big or losing. Give him a chance to work his way back into the second unit, he is valuable. Forget about Brown

IT signed a ten day with Charlotte, got to give him credit, he keeps on plugging out there trying to find the one team where he will fit, even for only 10 plus minutes

I have no idea who this guy is that they signed to a two way, does that fill both spots now? so how many seats left on the train?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:12 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:signing Brown would be a waste.  They are paying Theis enough money to fill in the gap at center at times.  My problem is, does Ime really want him?????  He has only given him minutes when either they are winning big or losing.   Give him a chance to work his way back into the second unit, he is valuable. Forget about Brown

IT signed a ten day with Charlotte, got to give him credit, he keeps on plugging out there trying to find the one team where he will fit, even for only 10 plus minutes

I have no idea who this guy is that they signed to a two way, does that fill both spots now?  so how many seats left on the train?
            I think there is just one two- way left, but that will change when the current 10 day contracts expire. I'm surprised Theis hasn't played more. He has looked pretty good in his rare appearances. Ime is happy with his big rotation, I guess, and doesn't want to upset the apple cart. Ryan has been a 3 point machine in the G League, for whatever that is worth.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:17 am

Surprised Moses got waived, guess it’s a different era, I think he could help us more than Kornet, he can still protect the rim and rebound better than Kornet in my opinion. Teams value guys that can shoot and spread the floor so much these days, every team runs the same offense it seems, Guess his inability to run a high post offense and hit FT’s limited him. Andre Drummond could still lead the league in rebounding, but he can’t get the minutes, cause his offense is too primitive in today’s game. They are not feeding post players the ball down low over and over anymore. Would Moses or Kevin McHale be able to play today with every team looking for versions of Steph Curry? Not only are they not feeding those brutes, you don’t need the brutes to defend the post players down low anymore either.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:10 pm

Cow,

I think Kevin would adapt. With modern medicine, he also may have had a longer career.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:58 pm

gyso wrote:Cow,

I think Kevin would adapt.  With modern medicine, he also may have had a longer career.

Agreed Kevin could guard everyone on the frontline 3-5 when he was young. Guys like Wilt and Moses wouldn’t extend out to the perimeter, Wilt constantly gave Reed open looks outside in 70’s Finals, he refused to leave the paint. PnR has totally taken over the post game. Would teams/coaches go to Hakeem, McHale, Moses great post players if you had them playing today?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:07 am

So is Brad finished now?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down