dboss
RosalieTCeltics
gyso
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

The Buyout Market Empty The Buyout Market

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:30 pm

The Trade Deadline has come and gone (Hallellujah!).  Now is when teams start buying out players they do not see as a part of their longterm future.  Going with youth, big contract, injuries are all reasons to get bought out.

As Jeff Clark has said there are primarily 3 criteria players who are bought out look at when considering who to sign with:

1.  Contending in the Finals
2.  Role
3.  Money

Ring, role, dough.  In that order.  There is no team that can offer a better chance at a ring than the #1 team in the NBA.  If you are a veteran wing shooter we have a role for you, and with Gallinari's DPE we might even be able to offer more money than others.

Here is a link to a list of potential buyout candidates.  It is better than the article Jeff Clark mentioned because it is post-deadline.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2023-nba-buyout-season-who-are-the-candidates/

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Buyout Market Empty Re: The Buyout Market

Post by gyso Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:53 pm

What about Will Barton?

Is he good enough to allow Tatum to sit more and not give up a lead in the process?

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:29 am

Per Hoopshype:

Terrence Ross seems like a lock to receive a buyout after not getting traded by the Magic. The veteran guard should receive plenty of interest with teams like the Lakers, Nuggets, Mavericks, and Bucks all needing backcourt help.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Ross is listed as 6'6" - 6'7", 206#.  That's a good height for a bench player backing up the Js.  32 years old (just turned this week).  I try not to get too excited about acquiring players just because they always seem to kill us, doesn't mean they'll play as well in our system, but Ross is one of those players.  He did that when he was in Toronto and they were better than us in part because we couldn't stop him and he has had good games against us with the much more inferior team in Mickeyland.

38% from 3 this year, 75% from the line and God knows he ain't shy.  Terrence Ross and Lou Williams are arguably the two best shooters off the bench for the past 10 years; and Lou's retired, which leaves Terrence.  He's never been a great defender and his Defensive Rating is AWFUL this year, but Orlando isn't a great defensive team.  Their Defensive Rating is 21st (we are, btw, 4th).  

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rosste01.html

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:33 am

Another thing to consider is that we already have that shooter to provide depth behind the Js, and that's Tony Snell. He signed with Maine, so he's already ours and is learning Joe's playbook in Maine.

6'6", 215#, 7'0" wingspan, 30 years old. Shot 39% from 3 last year in the NBA and is shooting 47% from 3 in Maine.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:39 am

gyso wrote:What about Will Barton?

Is he good enough to allow Tatum to sit more and not give up a lead in the process?

gyso,

Rumors/reports are that Brad and Will The Thrill have mutual interest in agreeing. If he gets bought out by Washington I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he's the one Brad signs.

Fortunately, unlike the trade deadline which has a 24/7 rumor mill going for weeks, the buyouts should come within 72 hours or so. There might be a small delay after that if we have to wait for a player to clear waivers, but not much time. We should know relatively soon who Brad adds.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:39 am

The Buyout Market Will_b10

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bartowi01.html

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:41 am

The Buyout Market Terran11

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rosste01.html

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:26 am

Patrick Beverley has been waived by the Orlando Magic.

34 years old, 6'1".

Helluva defender, one of the few guards you can even mention in the same breath as Marcus Smart.  Not a great shooter and 34 years old.

I want someone who can come off the bench for the Js, not someone who can come off the bench behind Smart, White and Brogdon.  I say pass.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:00 pm

Kevin Love has been bought out by the Cavs and is going to sign with Miami after clearing waivers.

We have Muscala. Would I rather have waited for Love than snatch up Muscala? Hmmm.

1. Neither are known as defenders. Their Defensive Ratings are comparably mediocre.

2. Our offense is heavily predicated upon 3s. Muscala's career 3pt fg% is 37.9%. Love's is 37.2%. This year, however, Love's 3pt% is 35% while Moose's is 39.4%, 39.1% with Boston.

3. Moose is 31 years old, Love is 34. I realize that the only thing that matters is the last however many games are left in the season and playoffs and both men should still have their legs under them for that but, still, 31 is usually better than 31...

4. We are the 6th best rebounding team in the league @ 45.1/game. Miami is 27th @ 41.4/game. They need another rebounder far more than we do.

Overall, I'm good with Moose. He has a reputation for being a good locker room teammate, he's shooting 39.1% from 3 since coming to Boston. He's giving us what we want. Kevin Love is what Miami needs: a 3pt shooter and a defensive rebounder. His addition should help Miami catch the Knicks for 8th place and get them out of the play-in tournament.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:49 pm

Love is either on his way to Miami or LA, he is a California guy, so I would not be surprised to see him end up there. My guess is we will end up signing one of the Maine guys for the rest of the year, Snell, Valentine??? whoever
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:03 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Love is either on his way to Miami or LA, he is a California guy, so I would not be surprised to see him end up there.  My guess is we will end up signing one of the Maine guys for the rest of the year, Snell, Valentine???  whoever

Rosalie, he signed with the Heat.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:36 am

Meyers Leonard is signing a 10-day contract with Milwaukee.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:12 am

Russell Westbrick is signing with the Clippers.

Now he doesn't have to sell his house right away. He can wait until April, or May at most.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:45 pm

bobheckler wrote:Russell Westbrick is signing with the Clippers.

Now he doesn't have to sell his house right away.  He can wait until April, or May at most.

Bob

I believe Westbrook already owned home in LA even when he was still with OKC. He is from LA.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:08 pm

The Heat needed rebounding (25th) and they needed more scoring (30th) Adding the 34 year old Love leaves them still in a state of deficiency. He will help them in a stretch 4 setup but will be a drag on their defense. Even at his best, Kevin could not stay in front of a water hydrant.

The Bucks added Jae Crowder and I believe he is a great fit for them. They needed another wing that can defend and shoot the ball. Jae has been out all year and will need to get in game shape. Jae is a hard nosed competitor and brings veteran experience to that team. He has helped both the Heat and the Suns get to the championship round. The Bucks have to figure out a way to try to defend the Jays. With a healthy Middleton and now Crowder added, that may help somewhat but probably not enough.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:17 pm

Hard to fathom such desperation:

Suns receive:

Kevin Durant
TJ Warren

Nets receive:

Mikal Bridges
Cameron Johnson
Juan Pablo Vaulet
2023 first-round pick (from Phoenix)
2025 first-round pick (from Phoenix)
2027 first-round pick (from Phoenix)
2028 first-round pick swap (from Phoenix)
2028 second-round pick (from Milwaukee)
2029 first-round pick (from Phoenix
2029 second-round pick (from Milwaukee)
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:49 pm

Yeah, dboss. This implosion is going to be even better than Kyrie's meltdown! I'm going to predict with great accuracy the lack of defense will hit PHX like a ton of bricks no later than the WCF. I might even throw in a broom of some kind for free, but don't quote me on that just yet!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:05 pm

bobheckler wrote:Meyers Leonard is signing a 10-day contract with Milwaukee.

Bob

He’s disgusting

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:19 pm

Hi,
Washington bought out Will Barton. He's available. What's the word about him? Could he be a good fit?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:51 pm

Ktron wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Meyers Leonard is signing a 10-day contract with Milwaukee.

Bob

He’s disgusting
                                                                                                                         I had to look him up. What a jackass.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:15 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
Washington Wizards guard Will Barton has completed a contract buyout ahead of the March 1 deadline to become eligible to join a playoff roster on a new  team, sources tell ESPN. Barton will become a free agent once he clears waivers.
1:41 AM · Feb 22, 2023

Bob
MY NOTE:  Reports have said there is mutual interest between Will the Thrill and the Celtics. It takes 48 hours to clear waivers.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:13 pm

bobheckler wrote:Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
Washington Wizards guard Will Barton has completed a contract buyout ahead of the March 1 deadline to become eligible to join a playoff roster on a new  team, sources tell ESPN. Barton will become a free agent once he clears waivers.
1:41 AM · Feb 22, 2023

Bob
MY NOTE:  Reports have said there is mutual interest between Will the Thrill and the Celtics.  It takes 48 hours to clear waivers.

I read that the Lakers are also interested.

Brad has a contingency plan in place in case they cannot sign Barton.

The deadline for playoff eligibility is March 1st.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:53 pm

rumors, rumors, the problem is, whoever joins the Celtics now better be ready to not play too much time during these next few weeks, Maybe once the playoff berth is clinched or decided, Joe will start resting his guys and you will see these newer players, so ..is Barton ready to sit and get a few minutes here and there? Believe it or not, I wonder if anyone will want to come here with the depth we have. Maine seems like the place Brad might end up getting a guy??? What do you think?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down