State of the Board (I Hope Everyone Will Read)

+3
mrkleen09
babyskyhook
Sam
7 posters

Go down

State of the Board (I Hope Everyone Will Read) Empty State of the Board (I Hope Everyone Will Read)

Post by Sam Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:38 pm

To the Board:

On the day of what should be a fascinating and exciting season, we’re at roughly the one-year mark as a Boston Celtics message board. Congratulations and thanks to all who have contributed to the success of this forum.

Board Activity

We’ve had 150 people give it try, and we should have approximately 50 contributing regularly, once we get back in action after the summer doldrums. Nearly 40,000 messages have been posted. I have a hunch that some who are not posting are monitoring our threads on at least a semi-regular basis. I occasionally see references to our message content on other boards.

And people are still joining. Of course, we welcome any “new blood.” So, if you have any acquaintances who might be interested, please persuade them to give the board a try.

Board Reputation

Several months ago, we had inquiries from another board and a blog about acquiring Sam’s Celtics Forum. It’s gratifying to know that we are held in such esteem, although retaining our independence seems essential to maintaining the uniqueness we seem to represent. It is important to note that the main attraction in both cases was the quality of conversation on the board. So the lion’s share of the credit goes to all of you—your knowledge, your communication instincts, your sincerity, and (to repeat an overused word) your sense of conviviality. And the often-amazing volunteer efforts of the administrators (gyso, NYCelt, Pete, dboss and 112288) should be applauded by one and all. I would have been a babe in the woods without their unflagging expertise and inputs.

Paid Subscription Policy

One ongoing issue, both on this board and other boards, has been our paid subscription policy. Although I admit to thinking initially that charging for membership might help defray some of my losses in spending a lot of time on the board rather than on my own company, I dropped that notion the first time it put it to the calculator test. Twenty bucks @ maybe 50 people wasn’t going to support bi-weekly trips to Paris. I wound up never taking a penny of it personally. It got used up mainly in some contest prizes, subsidizing the cost of a couple of parties, and our philanthropic efforts.

But I did have another motive that I think has stood the test of time. I reasoned that charging even a nominal sum would filter out people who were either less serious about basketball or less “convivial” (that word again). It seemed to me that they wouldn’t care about paying for quality, since their objectives lay in other directions. I believe firmly that this has come to pass. Yes, it has probably limited our membership somewhat, but the benefits have been worth it. I could cite some specific examples, but why bother? Actually, you reinforced my theory by voting something like 80%-20% to retain the paid subscriptions, largely for quality reasons.

So we’ll be continuing the annual subscriptions, but with some changes:

1. All annual subscriptions (new or sustaining) will be $15.

2. Payments by check or through PayPal will be accepted.

3. Rather than billing individuals (very time-consuming), we’ll issue a board-wide notice each October that subscriptions are due.

Those who feel financially uncomfortable in paying the $15 will be asked to send a note explaining the situation, and they will be excused from paying with no other questions asked. Yes, we realize that most people can afford $15. But there are times in life, when every additional expenditure (no matter how small) seems like just one more slap in the face. So we urge people not to be embarrassed or reluctant in utilizing this option.

Payment notices will be posted periodically, throughout the year (maybe monthly) to ask those who have recently joined to make payment (or send a note) after about a month of being on the board. Those who join in mid-year may send a portion of $15 for their first payment, depending on when they joined. The only people whose membership benefits will be stopped will be those who send neither the money nor an explanatory note—and only after they have been sent individual email reminders.

I hope everyone will consider this approach fair.

Contests

The game-on contests this year will be pretty much the same, except for the nature of the entries. The first contest will run through Christmas Day. The second contest will run through the date of the All-star game. The third contest will run through the end of the regular season. The fourth contest will run through the playoffs. And there will be a fifth series of cash awards for the overall winner for the year, the second place person, and the third place person. (Cash amounts to be determined by subscription revenue.)

This year, the contest winner for a given game will be the person who comes closest to guessing the total score for both teams combined (including overtimes). As before, entries will have to be submitted on the game-on thread before the ball is passed in to start the fourth quarter. And, until that time, entries may be amended as often as you like.

Another note on the contests for this past season. The final playoff game left all of us in such a funk that we neglected to announcethe winner of the final contest and the overall season winner. I’ll be doing that on a separate thread.

Division of Labor

Last season, different individuals just happened to volunteer their services for things like technical assistance (a very necessary item, given my lack of technical knowledge), running the game-on threads and contests, post-game threads, moderating, etc. It happened that the mix of voluntary resources matched the needs of the board. But, in the process, it created very uneven workloads—especially on a volunteer basis.

Frankly, we administrators have to get our act together in determining how to divide the labor with this season. More on this later.

Our Non-Celtics Fans

As my body is being lowered into the ground and I’m thinking over my life (along with how to find a very long bamboo stick), among the most treasured highlights will be the fact that this board has emulated good basketball teams in one specific way. A group of individuals from different backgrounds, diverse ideologies, and disparate allegiances has been able to band together to accomplish a meaningful group objective. For the most part, the board functions in a manner that doesn’t stop at being only civil. The camaraderie that has eventuated is rather amazing. And it hasn’t necessarily come easily. A lot of angst, self-examination, adaptation, and sheer effort has pieced together the most inspiring group of people of which I’ve ever been a part. I’m being very sincere when I say it’s been one of the highlights of my life; and I want to thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart.

No one knows how many helpful private messages and emails I receive, containing questions, concerns, and excellent suggestions for making this a better and (especially) more harmonious board. To all who have contributed in this way, I say thank you—and keep those cards and letters coming in.

I guess this is a good place to stop. There is now the small issue of a championship to deal with—each of us in our own way. In the meantime, I can only express my gratitude once more, along with my hopes for a healthy, happy and productive year ahead for all of you.

Best regards,

Go Celtics! Go early! Go often! Go like blazes! Go all the way! Go! Go! Go!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

State of the Board (I Hope Everyone Will Read) Empty Re: State of the Board (I Hope Everyone Will Read)

Post by babyskyhook Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:11 pm

Sam-

I've always believed that a man's friends are a reflection of the man.

This board, and the quality of the people involved and the conversations that come with it, are a reflection of its founder. Leadership starts at the top, and you have set a tone that makes this place truly unique.

Congratulations on the board's first birthday.

Cheers!!!

BSH
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

State of the Board (I Hope Everyone Will Read) Empty Re: State of the Board (I Hope Everyone Will Read)

Post by Sam Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:40 pm

BSH,

Thanks for being such a huge contributor. The enjoyment of reading your writing style is exceeded only by the content you generate.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:46 pm

Sam

Can you remind us the email address to make paypal payments?

Looking forward to another great season.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:59 pm

same, i'll get ya a check for my subscription if ya can let me know off board where to send it.

on another note, what can i do to help the board out?
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:34 pm

Thanks guys for your great responses.

I'll be posting the necessary information in a couple of days. In the meantime, just continue to earn spectacular interest on your money.

Matty, once the administrators figure out what we'll be doing on a regular basis, we may ask for some help from board members. I'm happy you want to be included.

All the best,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:04 pm

Ahhhh yes...The season has started, The Celtics have opened with a victory...we are part of this great board....Life is good...
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by NESportsfan12 Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:53 pm

looking forward to another great season of posting with you all!
NESportsfan12
NESportsfan12

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:37 pm

This board has been a wonderful place to go and just talk Celtics. I am teased
all the time from all who know me that I eat, drink and sleep the Boston Celtics. Maybe they are right. It is great to be able to come here and sometimes just read what others have to say (although it seems I always have something to add).

Thanks to all of you who have worked so hard to keep this fellowship going.
I truly appreciate your dedication to a great team and organization.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down