beat
Sam
RosalieTCeltics
gyso
tjmakz
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Garnett (allegedly) called Vilanueva a cancer patient Empty Garnett (allegedly) called Vilanueva a cancer patient

Post by tjmakz Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:34 am

I am probably going to get all kinds of flack for posting this, but...
From the using the N word on a regular basis, from F bombing everyone, to making BBD cry, and now this...
For some reason I don't think Russell would approve of the example that Garnett sets and the periods when he lacks maturity or professionalism while wearing the green uniform.
I wonder if Kevin knows that Villanueva has a skin condition called Alopecia Universalis?

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5759196
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Garnett (allegedly) called Vilanueva a cancer patient Empty Re: Garnett (allegedly) called Vilanueva a cancer patient

Post by gyso Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:50 pm

Here's a link:

http://tinyurl.com/37wr9lz

I'm sure that KG knew that CV has a skin condition and used it's physical results in his trash talking. Who knows what other kinds of things are said (worse or not) by KG and others on the court? Trash talking is just that, trash. It is meant to get under the other player's skin. I guess it worked.

I have no clue as to how Russell would react. When he posts here or gives a statement to the press, then we'll know. Until then, it is more than useless to guess.

Making BBD cry? By telling him to pay the frig attention during a time out? Apples and Oranges.

N word and F bomb? I'm not condoning either phrases and the use of either would have gotten my mouth washed out with soap, back in the day. No, it is just how young people speak. I see both all over Facebook, it is a generational thing. I thought that it would totally shock my Mother, but she can manage to get past it and still use Facebook for its intended use, a communication tool. Young kids dont spel wright or use punctuation either when they right, I h8 that!!

CV was lame to tweet this. If it bothered him that much, he should have settled it right then and there. He should have been on KG like West on Wafer!!

Back to top Go down

Garnett (allegedly) called Vilanueva a cancer patient Empty Re: Garnett (allegedly) called Vilanueva a cancer patient

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:25 pm

I have grown very tired of this "tweeting" that is being used as a way to get
at each other. Be a man, confront him and demand an apology. KG---grow up,
I know trash talking is everywhere on the court, but clean it up, there are so
many young kids who look up to you and this is not what they should be reading and hearing. As for Charlie V, I just wonder if an total ass kicking by
the Celtics got under his skin just a little too much and this is his way of
retaliating. That is one unhappy team in Detroit. Look at Ben Gordon, he couldn't have cared less that he fouled out of the game. They were snipping
at each other all game long.

This is no excuse for KG-I am disappointed that he chose those words to
get at another player. He is too good for this. I am sure that the Celtics aren't too happy right now, they are in the news for the wrong reasons. KG
will really take it on the chin for this one and he deserves it. THAT IS......IF HE SAID IT.

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:25 pm

I'm disappointed in KG for uttering that phrase. If he indeed did so, Charlie deserves a sincere apology.

But the other embellishments about words used by KG are gratuitous. I join many others in recoiling whenever I hear the "n" word, perhaps partly because I am a white man who has a black son. It also confuses me when "bad" really means "good." But I hope I'm enlightened enough to accept the fact that many words (including the "n" word) are used in some cultures without the same intent as in other cultures.

As for the "f" word, I deem it inappropriate enough in a public forum to delete it when I see it on this board. However, if anyone wants to hear it used early and often in private settings, just go to any grade school. I wasn't aware that KG goes around "f-bombing everyone." He hasn't done it to me, and I'm someone. I haven't heard of him doing it to fans or at press conferences or in public. Could it be that he's more selective in using the term than the phrase "f-bombing everyone" would imply?

"Making BBD cry." Wow! KG did not make BBD cry. He spoke very sternly to BBD—an immensely common occurrence among coaches and players in the NBA—and BBD elected to respond in a way that many immature human beings would. Indications are that BBD learned from the experience (and others) and is probably a much better player now because of it.

It's certainly appropriate to chastise KG if he said what is alleged, although I am very careful about judging things that are quoted out of context. But that other "n"and "f" and crying stuff has the appearance of deliberate overkill in an attempt to inflate the "case" against KG, whose intensity seems highly valued in basketball circles although it undoubtedly produces some less-than-perfect side effects. You know what? I'd be willing to bet that players on other teams (maybe even the Lakers), and certain sectors of their fans, use the "n" and "f" words.

There's certainly no flak due on account of posting about the apparent incident; but the deliberately slanted manner of presentation is another matter.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Am i seeing a trend here

Delonte West/Von Wafer Fight - Celtics Considering Releasing West
by tjmakz

Garnett called Vilanueva a cancer patient
by tjmakz

just wondering

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:45 pm

I just read Adrian Wajnarowski's article about KG entitled: Garnett's Bully Act Goes Too Far.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Akq.5cH9eVDM7vWb232taYW8vLYF?slug=aw-garnettvillanueve110310
Here's two paragraph's from Adrian's article:

This is about Garnett, as it should’ve been long ago with his bully act. Here’s the thing: There are few more complex characters in the NBA. K.G. is a fantastic teammate, a leader, the hardest-working man in the gymnasium. He cares about winning, cares deeply, and the success his time with the Celtics has brought him has become a precious part of his legacy. He’s so smart, so calculating, that it remains a conundrum why he has always gone to such lengths to be a needlessly vicious bully.

For years, he’s gone after smaller, younger players. He never goes after tough guys. Never. For some reason, he reveled in going out of his way to abuse European players. So many young Euros grew up idolizing him, loved the range of his versatility at 7 feet, only to have images of him shattered with cheap shots and trash talk on the floor. A few days ago, this happened to the Knicks’ Timofey Mozgov(notes). It happens all the time. Pau Gasol(notes). Jose Calderon(notes). The list is long and the act is tired.

I referenced other incidents to show that Garnett is a bully and for some reason everyone has always looked the other way. Is it because he is a future hall of famer? Is it because people are afraid of him?
I don't believe that KG should get a pass for using the N word either. He is not a 17 year old kid that hangs with his boys at the street corner. He has a responsibility to the NBA and to the Celtics to act accordingly.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:47 pm

beat wrote:Am i seeing a trend here

Delonte West/Von Wafer Fight - Celtics Considering Releasing West
by tjmakz

Garnett called Vilanueva a cancer patient
by tjmakz

just wondering

beat

beat,

Do you want to reference my posts congratulating you guys and the Celtics for thumping the Heat?
This is a story that is on every website.
Would anyone here mention it if I didn't?
I'm not so sure.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm sure. I certainly would have. I just wouldn't have added the superfluous sermonizing.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:57 pm

Kobe's a real role model. Clean up your own backyard. This here is snippy horseshit. Have you ever played ball TJ? Lotta crap gets talked.

Geeze. Lets examine Matt Barnes, Ron Artest and all the other Laker saints.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:03 pm

jeb,

Barnes, Kobe and Artest get plenty of negative pub here.
This story was about KG. You don't need to bring in Kobe, Barnes, Artest or anyone else in the league.

I played HS basketball and play in a mens league in Tampa every Tuesday night.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:12 pm

ok KG is the bad guy,

yep KG allegedly called Charlie V a "cancer patient"

and according to adrain warginksi (how u spell that?) the "alleged" use of the term "cancer patient" has now dameged forever the legacy of "the bully" Kevin Garnet..

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-garnettvillanueve110310

on the other hand.. charlie V who apprently has very tender feelings goes on to say this "K.G. talks a lot of crap. He’s [probably] never been in a fight. I would love to get in a ring with him. I will expose him.”

so alleged name calling will hurt a guys legacy, makes him the most evil person this side of Hitler, yet a guy addmitting he'd love to be in a situation where he could physically harm another person- because that person hurt his feelings is ok?

according to the writer KG is "cruel" "twisted" a "vicious bully" a "cold and cruel jerk."

but charlie V actauly would like to physically hurt KG and he's the innocent victum?

i guess times have changed but when i was a kid in school another boy made some comments about my mother. so i beat the crap out of him during recess. Then i was taken to the principles office where i was giving a couple strokes from a wooden paddle, suspended and when i got home, paddled some more and grounded.

back in those days name calling was consiedred less an offense than physically harming someone. Now the person who wants to harm the other guy is the innocent victum and the (ALLEGED) name caller is the big bad guy.

i dunno, maybe KG ought to go to Charlie personally apologize and give him a big hug, buy him some flowers and take him out to dinner and a movie to make sure Charlie feelings have been soothed over.

or if this did actauly happen, Charlie could just grow a pair, get over it and go on with life. Ya know, just be a man about it, its a lesson i learned 25+ yrs ago.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:15 pm

So now it's becoming a "he said, he said" thing, as of KG's statement that appears in today's Boston Herald. (If anyone wants to look it up, it appears under Steve Bulpett's byline.) I quote from the article:

"Garnett disputed the accusation, releasing a statement that said, 'My comment to Charlie Villanueva was in fact, ‘You are cancerous to your team and our league.’ I would never be insensitive to the brave struggle that cancer patients endure. I have lost loved ones to this deadly disease and have a family member currently undergoing treatment. I would never say anything that distasteful. The game of life is far bigger than the game of basketball.'"

Was Charlie being a comment-twisting crybaby? Was KG being an evil bully?" Nothing I've read so far provides a preponderance of evidence in one direction or the other. Perhaps someone who overheard the actual statement will come forward. Perhaps it will collapse to molehill dimensions, with no decisive evidence on either side.

I personally think there should be some sort of governance or watchdog agency overlooking tweets by twits. Perhaps freedom of speech is being far too liberally defined when someone can defame another with a twit tweet, without the necessity of offering proof. It's amazing how players (in every pro sport) think they've been annointed by their athleticism as business executives, communications experts, and even politicians.

Sam

Last edited by Sam on Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:15 pm

TJ

You are just stirring up crap here. Let it rest. None of us like all the jive talk the celtics do and none of us like the darker aspects of KG's personality. You need to climb down off the cross and quit being so snotty on this one.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:24 pm

jeb,

I don't agree with your support of KG but I will let it rest.
Later.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:43 pm

If we strip away the whole TJ, Laker-Celtic stuff
and the poorly written post on ESPNBoston.com
and the "why did you tweet it instead of doing something about it" argument
I'm left with a few questions.

Did he say it?
I assume KG will have to answer that at some point.

If he did, is it a big deal? Or is it just garden-variety, everybody-does-it trash talk?
Even the few responses on this thread seem to indicate that is an eye-of-the-beholder thing. My personal opinion is that, if he did say it, it reflects poorly on KG, the Celtics, and the league (that last part might mean there's a fine coming). The league spends a lot of money and effort enhancing its image in the community. A "cancer patient" insult can undo a lot of the good will generated by those "NBA Cares" spots. My guess is that the league will take this very seriously and impress on KG that this type of behavior is unacceptable.

Is this part of a pattern of behavior on KG's part?
Personally, I think it is. I like him a lot as a player, strictly in how he plays the game, especially defensively. I really, really like his mindset. But I have seen him exhibit poor behavior on multiple occasions in the past, and I've seen him be petty and ungracious. I agree with Adrian W. at Yahoo that he shows a bully personality at times. And I don't think that these "bad KG" traits are necessary for him to be intense or play with passion. I just don't buy that argument.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:49 pm

tj

I dont agree with your support of Kobe. But that"s why your a Lakers fan and I am a Celtics fan. We all like you. But if you come around here lookin for a fight you'll get one.

Cheers buddy. No blood no foul.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:53 pm

Outside,

Read my post, three above yours, for KG's answer. Who knows whether it's a fabrication or whether Charlie's accusation twisted the words that were actually used?

It would indeed be great if everyone in the world could exercise his/her positive traits without also displaying any negative side effects. I recall the boss of a well-known creative advertising person complaining that, "He's highly creative, but his office is a disorganized mess." In my own case, in the course of being a perpetual babe magnet, I've unfortunately alienated some guys.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:59 pm

jeb wrote:tj

I dont agree with your support of Kobe. But that"s why your a Lakers fan and I am a Celtics fan. We all like you. But if you come around here lookin for a fight you'll get one.

Cheers buddy. No blood no foul.

I agree with you jeb.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:40 pm

Dear Mr. Magnet,

Due to work constraints, I unfortunately skimmed rather than read your post. Perhaps you'll consider the occasionally skimmed post an acceptable negative trait on my part that you put up with to enjoy my, uh... general awesomeness?

One thing I can say for certain is that KG is saying all the right things today.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:05 pm

I have seen what KG does in the community - both in Minnesota and Boston. I have seen what he does with young teammates. I have seen what he has done to bring back pride and honor to Boston.

He is human and like a human, in the heat of battle he may have crossed the line. Let those on the board who have never crossed the line cast the first stone. If you can say you have never gone overboard during an athletic competition - then you have have never played a game of any consequence.

I will take KG and an occasional bit of trash talking over any other PF in the NBA. The end.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:35 pm

Isn't funny that Charlie Villenueva chose to "tweet" his comments after
he has been warned by the league to stop this actions last year. He was
told to stop tweeting and keep his phone out of the locker room
Guess he didn't get the message regarding this.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Garnett (allegedly) called Vilanueva a cancer patient Empty Rivers terms Garnett/Villanueva incident 'silly'

Post by gyso Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:03 am

Here's the link:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2010/11/rivers_terms_ga.html

Celtics coach Doc Rivers came to the defense of Kevin Garnett this evening and lashed out at Charlie Villanueva's use of Twitter to describe words between players on the court.

"I'm not going to go off on a tangent about this whole thing," said Rivers. "I actually heard what Kevin said. I was standing right there, and what he released was what he said. I'm gonna leave it at that."

Villanueva accused Garnett on Twitter of calling him a "cancer patient". Garnett released a statement today saying Villanueva had his words mixed up:

“I am aware there was a major miscommunication regarding something I said on the court last night. My comment to Charlie Villanueva was in fact ‘You are cancerous to your team and our league.’ I would never be insensitive to the brave struggle that cancer patients endure. I have lost loved ones to this deadly disease and have a family member currently undergoing treatment. I would never say anything that distasteful. The game of life is far bigger than the game of basketball.”

The game of basketball is exactly what had Rivers so fired up. Rivers talked about the trash talk Larry Bird used to spew at him back in Rivers's playing days, and said that -- in essence -- what happens on the court should stay on the court.

"I don't like the whole tweeting thing," said Rivers. "I'll state that as well. Guys talk on the court. It doesn't mean they should or shouldn't. The fact that we're talking about this, to me, is just silly. This isn't something we should be talking about. We had a hell of a game yesterday, let's talk about basketball. It's amazing to me that this stuff is news now. This is not sports."

He added, "I used to play, and I can't imagine us running and talking about what was said."

Garnett, per usual, did not speak to reporters before the game, though he did make his customary pass through the locker room. As he walked, Ray Allen was answering questions on KG's trash-talking at another locker. Allen said he didn't hear what Garnett said last night, but that trash talking works for some players, and that lots of things are said.

"It's not only interesting what's said between players, but what you hear from fans," said Allen. "Some of the things that come from fans' mouths, you don't want to repeat that either ... I don't want a mic on those guys. You have an opportunity to hear some things that you don't want to hear, but that's the heat of the battle. That's the competition. I don't think the things that are said on the floor need to be transcribed to TV or the print."

Central to this whole issue is Villanueva's use of Twitter to express his views. Villanueva is something of a Twitter pioneer, having been the first to tweet during halftime of an NBA game, forcing the league to create a policy on the matter. Allen had a Twitter account, but said he closed it because of things people were saying about his family.

Rivers does not have a Twitter account, but he did say he warned his players about saying too much.

"We tell them it's your life, have fun with it and all that," said Rivers. "But what goes on on the team stays on the team. This is a new generation, and we're going to continue to have problems with this until we figure it out."

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:18 am

Can we put this one to bed. It is starting to look real sleepy.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:24 am

Kenny Smith and Greg Anthony didn't have a problem with KG on NBA TV,they were surprised Charlie V went this route,both thought that TJ.I guess you should be the authority on all matters of decorum.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:57 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Kenny Smith and Greg Anthony didn't have a problem with KG on NBA TV,they were surprised Charlie V went this route,both thought that TJ.I guess you should be the authority on all matters of decorum.

Cowens,

I never said I agreed with the way Villanueva reported this or how he challenged KG to a fight.
That doesn't diminish the alleged comments by Garnett.
Every major news outlet has this as a top story.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next