Berlin-T
dbrown4
gyso
cowens/oldschool
prakash
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

POST GAME - PLAYOFF ROUND 4 - FINALS - GAME 5 - GOLDEN STATE - AWAY - Page 2 Empty Re: POST GAME - PLAYOFF ROUND 4 - FINALS - GAME 5 - GOLDEN STATE - AWAY

Post by Ktron Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:51 pm

bobheckler wrote:18 turnovers vs 6.  22 GSW points off of those 18 Celtic turnovers vs 9 Celtic points off of those 6 GSW turnovers.  You can't win a game when you have 12 more turnovers than the other guys.  The story of this series, way too many live turnovers had them racing up court.

We shot 4-15 and had 4 turnovers in the 4th quarter.  They shot 12-24 and had zero turnovers.  Non-Championship focus and effort vs Championship focus and effort.  

We took 31 ftas vs 15 for them.  Those 16 additional opportunities to score points could have produced the 11 points we needed to win.  They didn't because we shot 21-31, 66.7%, from the line.  They shot 13-15.  We shot 81.6% from the line during the year.  If we shot that last night we'd have been 25-31.  There's 4 points, makes it a 6 point game and that's a very different game in the final minutes.  

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 8 hours ago
Jayson Tatum: "Am I happy with the shots I’m getting? Yeah. I just gotta hit more of them.”

Jayson Tatum was 2-6 from the line.  If you're a shooter and aren't happy with fritos then you're not going to be happy because you won't get better, easier, less contested shots than fritos.

Speaking of Tatum, 4 assists and 4 turnovers.  When Smart had the ball in his hands and ran the offense we scored and came back from that 16 point deficit.  When Tatum was the floor general we were right back at iso ball.  He doesn't make decisions quickly enough.  A fast team doubles him and he gets swallowed up.  Then it's just a matter of playing the most obvious passing lane because he's not Tom Brady.  He's not going to check off the 1st, 2nd and 3rd receiver before he picks who to pass to.

When it was crunch time we reverted to what we're comfortable with, and that's iso ball.  It was made worse by virtue of the ball being put into the hands of one of the team's biggest iso players.  That's bad coaching.

And that's on Ime.  Ime's decided to run the offense through Jayson even though he started the season telling Marcus Smart that he's the team's point guard and will be running the offense.  Where did he come up with that?  Not in San Antonio, Pop had Parker running the offense there.  Not in Philly, the ball ran through Simmons who, although not a shooter, engaged his teammates (perhaps precisely because he's not a scorer and can't do it himself except in the open court).  Not in Brooklyn, Kyrie and Harden, both point guards, ran the offense there.  I don't get it.  We are averaging 103 ppg through the Finals so far.  However, we have scored under 100 points in 3 of those 5 games.  We scored 116 in Game 3 and 120 in Game 1.  Other than that our offense has been awful.

It was Jaylen's turn to kill us.  5-18, 0-5 from 3.  5 turnovers.  He just cannot stop himself from dribbling into double teams.  Also, have you noticed how little he moves without the ball now?  Same with Tatum, but that's because Ime is running the offense through Tatum, so he's going to have the ball in his hands more.  That's not so with Jaylen.

And Derrick White sure didn't help either.  1 point on 0-4.

Our entire bench scored 10 points, and 6 of those 10 points came from Luke Kornet and Aaron Nesmith in 1 minute of garbage time.  White scored 1 point, Pritchard scored zero points on 0-3 in 5 minutes and Grant scored 3 on 2 fgas.  Our rotation players weren't just useless, they were practically invisible.  4 points on 1-9 for our rotation bench players, 2 less than our garbage time players scored in a minute of play.  

The Warriors bench got 31 points, 14 from Poole and 15 from Gary Payton Jr.  That's what a bench is expected to do.  And we can't blame it on youth.  Poole is almost 22 and GP is 29.  Derrick White is almost 28.

Legs were going in the 4th.  Curry's were all but gone, he shot 7-22 on the game and 2-6 in the 4th.  His shots were all off the front of the rim, evidence he was losing lift.  But Tatum's legs were going too, his shots were just about all short, airballs, in the 4th.  Not that it stopped him from shooting.  He was 1-5 in the 4th.  What do you expect when you put the ball in the hands of a tired shooter?

yesterday
Ime Udoka said the Jays may have lost some steam and their decision making and fatigue from playing the whole second half could be a part of why their offense burned out.

No shite, Sherlock.  That's what happens when you decide to only go 7 deep.  You can't sit anybody long enough for the lactic acid to get out of their leg muscles.  We started winning in January when Ime shortened the rotation to 8 players, but 8 players is too short.  That's Brad.   Brad needs to give Ime the bench players he has confidence in.  He has confidence in Grant (lots!).  Who else?  He has confidence in the player he coached in San Antonio and the player he has known for many years back in Portland where they both grew up.  That's it.  Is this a comfort thing, or a talent thing, or both?  Nesmith flies around the court, not shooting well but good effort, but is given inconsistent opportunities.  Brad signed shooter, and 5 year NBA veteran, Nik Stauskas to a 2 year contract.  Takes off his warmups before showering, that's it.  Luke Kornet?  Ok, that's a talent thing.

Ime gets T'd up for crossing the center line.  Really?  It's Game 5 of the Finals and the ref gives a shoot about a coach coming over to talk to him?  Awful.  Smart gets T'd up because he's getting tired of getting thrown down on the ground, which happened repeatedly.  But Draymond Green and Gary Payton Jr are allowed to follow Tatum to the Celtic bench and there's nothing.  That's awful.  You know what's even more awful?  Nobody on the Celtics peeled Green away from Tatum.  6'6", 235# Grant Williams walked 6'3", 195# Gary Payton Jr away (what a profile in courage, angling off a player you're 3" taller and 45# heavier than) but nobody got The Thug out of Tatum's ear.  That disappoints me more than anything.  No freaking stones.  Could you imagine Green doing that if Tristan Thompson was still on the roster?  Hell no.  If someone got into Tyler Herro's face like that what do you think PJ Tucker would do?  Robert Williams is fragile, Al Horford is a gentleman and Theis isn't that way neither.  Grant's the only one with some sand and he went after the smaller intimidator.  This altercation, the failure of the refs and especially of our players, did more to suck the spirit out of me than anything else.  People ask me about various NBA games and I tell them I only watch the Celtics.  When they ask me why I tell them "the fewer NBA games I watch the fewer NBA referreed games I watch".  Evidence for the Prosecution, Game 5 of the 2022 NBA Finals.  Three refs watching only 10 players on a surface that is only 94' X 50' and, for the most part, they don't have to watch the back court because most of the action happens in the half court.  So it's really only 47' X 50'.  2350 square feet.  Imagine a 4 bedroom, 2 bath house.  You might even live in one.  Now imagine its interior stripped down to the studs.  No walls.  If you can, imagine that interior without even the studs, imagine the roof being supported by the rafters and the interior is completely empty.  That's about how much square footage these 3 blind mice have to watch.  Pre-school teachers with 2 dozen rug rats running around like goonies know more about what actually is and is not going on than those clowns watching 10 grown men, all conveniently clustered together.

POST GAME - PLAYOFF ROUND 4 - FINALS - GAME 5 - GOLDEN STATE - AWAY - Page 2 FVL-R-1WUAESxSm?format=jpg

It's do or die time.  If this doesn't make their hearts and minds come together and focus then it's time to ship some people out.  We play with Pride.  Win or lose we do them with Pride.  Always.  That is non-negotiable.

And, for God's sake Ime, these are the Finals.  It's not a training center for aspiring point guards.  Point Guard is probably the most difficult position in the game.  It takes years of mental development to be good at it (I tend towards the philosophy that point guards are born, not trained, but you can get better at it over time.  I'm just not sure you can/will ever be trained enough to be a starting NBA point guard without being a natural in the first place).  If you're going to 7-8 players because you can't afford the risk that comes with player development then maybe this isn't the time for point guard development?

Bob

Bob, don’t know who you have in mind as point guard but here we go again. Ahh, let me change that. Its not here WE go because i’m not with it. Not at the moment.

I almost completely forgot about basketball when that SAVAGE (The term Thug is..well a slight compliment. Ive removed it from my lexicon.) who wears #23 followed Tatum to the bench. You are absolutely right. Someone needed to deck that muthfjer right there. Tatum could have at least acted like he had a pair. Hell Kornet could have done it since he’d be the least suspected. The Savage wouldn't see it coming. Ive still got some buddy’s in Roxbury who would be more than happy to take that War criminal for a nice lil ride. The only thing that would beat #23 to the cemetery is the headlights on the Hearse.
We really need to come out Thursday ready to take names but when I look at the team photo, I see nothing but Alter boys.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

POST GAME - PLAYOFF ROUND 4 - FINALS - GAME 5 - GOLDEN STATE - AWAY - Page 2 Empty Re: POST GAME - PLAYOFF ROUND 4 - FINALS - GAME 5 - GOLDEN STATE - AWAY

Post by Ktron Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:09 pm

The Savage gets into it with his teammates Dad and Max

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:38 pm

Celtics bench played 47 minutes, scored 10 points.

Warriors bench played 70 minutes, scored 31 points.
'Nuff said.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:41 am

I figured I would let some of the steam blow off so my comments will not be too harsh.

In simple terms, gyso nailed it.  I cannot even begin to count the number of great plays followed by a horrible play.  It was like that all night.

Why not just get in the moving car instead of hiding in the shed.

Turnovers are symptomatic of good defense and poor decision making.  The GSW have watched enough film to know what our tendencies are and as such our guys need an even higher level of discipline.  The Celtics biggest issue is a lack of discipline.  That shows up in all aspects of the game.  It shows up at the foul line and it shows up when you attempt a lob pass to no one in particular.  It show up when you just have to take yet another 3 point shot even though your shot may be off.  It shows up on defense when you turn your head and get beat back door or you neglect to rotate in a timely manner.  Or you miss a shot and then lolly gag your way back up the court.  

Bottom line, this team at times displays a complete lack of mental toughness and that leads to a lack of discipline in the way they go about playing the game of basketball.

On a structural basis, this team does not have enough depth.  Maybe it took 4 rounds to reveal concerns that I already had.  We cannot win this series unless 6,7 and 8 show up.

Once again the Celtics like living on the edge.  I just do not get it. Why play Russian Roulette with this opportunity?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bygone Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:15 pm

Speaking of defense in game 5: GS played 48 minutes of solid D, we only played a few stretches of aggressive D. Wiggins blew by White every time; defensive strategy has to change there. Yet we only lost by 10 points with 12 more turnovers than GS. This should be fixable for two more games.
bygone
bygone

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:35 pm

True, bygone. True.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:47 pm

Ktron wrote:
bobheckler wrote:18 turnovers vs 6.  22 GSW points off of those 18 Celtic turnovers vs 9 Celtic points off of those 6 GSW turnovers.  You can't win a game when you have 12 more turnovers than the other guys.  The story of this series, way too many live turnovers had them racing up court.

We shot 4-15 and had 4 turnovers in the 4th quarter.  They shot 12-24 and had zero turnovers.  Non-Championship focus and effort vs Championship focus and effort.  

We took 31 ftas vs 15 for them.  Those 16 additional opportunities to score points could have produced the 11 points we needed to win.  They didn't because we shot 21-31, 66.7%, from the line.  They shot 13-15.  We shot 81.6% from the line during the year.  If we shot that last night we'd have been 25-31.  There's 4 points, makes it a 6 point game and that's a very different game in the final minutes.  

about 8 hours ago
Jayson Tatum: "Am I happy with the shots I’m getting? Yeah. I just gotta hit more of them.”

Jayson Tatum was 2-6 from the line.  If you're a shooter and aren't happy with fritos then you're not going to be happy because you won't get better, easier, less contested shots than fritos.

Speaking of Tatum, 4 assists and 4 turnovers.  When Smart had the ball in his hands and ran the offense we scored and came back from that 16 point deficit.  When Tatum was the floor general we were right back at iso ball.  He doesn't make decisions quickly enough.  A fast team doubles him and he gets swallowed up.  Then it's just a matter of playing the most obvious passing lane because he's not Tom Brady.  He's not going to check off the 1st, 2nd and 3rd receiver before he picks who to pass to.

When it was crunch time we reverted to what we're comfortable with, and that's iso ball.  It was made worse by virtue of the ball being put into the hands of one of the team's biggest iso players.  That's bad coaching.

And that's on Ime.  Ime's decided to run the offense through Jayson even though he started the season telling Marcus Smart that he's the team's point guard and will be running the offense.  Where did he come up with that?  Not in San Antonio, Pop had Parker running the offense there.  Not in Philly, the ball ran through Simmons who, although not a shooter, engaged his teammates (perhaps precisely because he's not a scorer and can't do it himself except in the open court).  Not in Brooklyn, Kyrie and Harden, both point guards, ran the offense there.  I don't get it.  We are averaging 103 ppg through the Finals so far.  However, we have scored under 100 points in 3 of those 5 games.  We scored 116 in Game 3 and 120 in Game 1.  Other than that our offense has been awful.

It was Jaylen's turn to kill us.  5-18, 0-5 from 3.  5 turnovers.  He just cannot stop himself from dribbling into double teams.  Also, have you noticed how little he moves without the ball now?  Same with Tatum, but that's because Ime is running the offense through Tatum, so he's going to have the ball in his hands more.  That's not so with Jaylen.

Our entire bench scored 10 points, and 6 of those 10 points came from Luke Kornet and Aaron Nesmith in 1 minute of garbage time.  White scored 1 point, Pritchard scored zero points on 0-3 in 5 minutes and Grant scored 3 on 2 fgas.  Our rotation players weren't just useless, they were practically invisible.  4 points on 1-9 for our rotation bench players, 2 less than our garbage time players scored in a minute of play.  

The Warriors bench got 31 points, 14 from Poole and 15 from Gary Payton Jr.  That's what a bench is expected to do.  And we can't blame it on youth.  Poole is almost 22 and GP is 29.  Derrick White is almost 28.

Legs were going in the 4th.  Curry's were all but gone, he shot 7-22 on the game and 2-6 in the 4th.  His shots were all off the front of the rim, evidence he was losing lift.  But Tatum's legs were going too, his shots were just about all short, airballs, in the 4th.  Not that it stopped him from shooting.  He was 1-5 in the 4th.  What do you expect when you put the ball in the hands of a tired shooter?

yesterday
Ime Udoka said the Jays may have lost some steam and their decision making and fatigue from playing the whole second half could be a part of why their offense burned out.

No shite, Sherlock.  That's what happens when you decide to only go 7 deep.  You can't sit anybody long enough for the lactic acid to get out of their leg muscles.  We started winning in January when Ime shortened the rotation to 8 players, but 8 players is too short.  That's Brad.   Brad needs to give Ime the bench players he has confidence in.  He has confidence in Grant (lots!).  Who else?  He has confidence in the player he coached in San Antonio and the player he has known for many years back in Portland where they both grew up.  That's it.  Is this a comfort thing, or a talent thing, or both?  Nesmith flies around the court, not shooting well but good effort, but is given inconsistent opportunities.  Brad signed shooter, and 5 year NBA veteran, Nik Stauskas to a 2 year contract.  Takes off his warmups before showering, that's it.  Luke Kornet?  Ok, that's a talent thing.

Ime gets T'd up for crossing the center line.  Really?  It's Game 5 of the Finals and the ref gives a shoot about a coach coming over to talk to him?  Awful.  Smart gets T'd up because he's getting tired of getting thrown down on the ground, which happened repeatedly.  But Draymond Green and Gary Payton Jr are allowed to follow Tatum to the Celtic bench and there's nothing.  That's awful.  You know what's even more awful?  Nobody on the Celtics peeled Green away from Tatum.  6'6", 235# Grant Williams walked 6'3", 195# Gary Payton Jr away (what a profile in courage, angling off a player you're 3" taller and 45# heavier than) but nobody got The Thug out of Tatum's ear.  That disappoints me more than anything.  No freaking stones.  Could you imagine Green doing that if Tristan Thompson was still on the roster?  Hell no.  If someone got into Tyler Herro's face like that what do you think PJ Tucker would do?  Robert Williams is fragile, Al Horford is a gentleman and Theis isn't that way neither.  Grant's the only one with some sand and he went after the smaller intimidator.  This altercation, the failure of the refs and especially of our players, did more to suck the spirit out of me than anything else.  People ask me about various NBA games and I tell them I only watch the Celtics.  When they ask me why I tell them "the fewer NBA games I watch the fewer NBA referreed games I watch".  Evidence for the Prosecution, Game 5 of the 2022 NBA Finals.  Three refs watching only 10 players on a surface that is only 94' X 50' and, for the most part, they don't have to watch the back court because most of the action happens in the half court.  So it's really only 47' X 50'.  2350 square feet.  Imagine a 4 bedroom, 2 bath house.  You might even live in one.  Now imagine its interior stripped down to the studs.  No walls.  If you can, imagine that interior without even the studs, imagine the roof being supported by the rafters and the interior is completely empty.  That's about how much square footage these 3 blind mice have to watch.  Pre-school teachers with 2 dozen rug rats running around like goonies know more about what actually is and is not going on than those clowns watching 10 grown men, all conveniently clustered together.

POST GAME - PLAYOFF ROUND 4 - FINALS - GAME 5 - GOLDEN STATE - AWAY - Page 2 FVL-R-1WUAESxSm?format=jpg

It's do or die time.  If this doesn't make their hearts and minds come together and focus then it's time to ship some people out.  We play with Pride.  Win or lose we do them with Pride.  Always.  That is non-negotiable.

And, for God's sake Ime, these are the Finals.  It's not a training center for aspiring point guards.  Point Guard is probably the most difficult position in the game.  It takes years of mental development to be good at it (I tend towards the philosophy that point guards are born, not trained, but you can get better at it over time.  I'm just not sure you can/will ever be trained enough to be a starting NBA point guard without being a natural in the first place).  If you're going to 7-8 players because you can't afford the risk that comes with player development then maybe this isn't the time for point guard development?

Bob

Bob, don’t know who you have in mind as point guard but here we go again. Ahh, let me change that. Its not here WE go because i’m not with it. Not at the moment.

I almost completely forgot about basketball when that SAVAGE (The term Thug is..well a slight compliment. Ive removed it from my lexicon.) who wears #23 followed Tatum to the bench. You are absolutely right. Someone needed to deck that muthfjer right there. Tatum could have at least acted like he had a pair. Hell Kornet could have done it since he’d be the least suspected. The Savage wouldn't see it coming. Ive still got some buddy’s in Roxbury who would be more than happy to take that War criminal for a nice lil ride. The only thing that would beat #23 to the cemetery is the headlights on the Hearse.
We really need to come out Thursday ready to take names but when I look at the team photo, I see nothing but Alter boys.

ktron,

Point GUARD.  I want the ball to be in the hands of a point GUARD.  On this current roster that means Marcus Smart and Derrick White.  Payton Pritchard is at the early stages of floor general development.  Right now I consider him to be analogous to a much younger Eddie House, a shooter who can make the basic pass but not someone with the skills and juice to order better players than him to go where he tells them to go.

On a different, but corollary, note we need to run more plays for Robert Williams.  He's shooting 89% on the series, but he's only taken 18 fgas in 5 games.  Their bigs cannot compete with him.  We need to run more plays for him and we need someone who can deliver the ball to him.  Smart can, and has.  White can, and has.  Tatum penetrates and would rather throw up an off-balance and challenged shot than lobbing it to RWill.  That is another downside to using the Js as point forwards, they are underutilizing RWill because they are shot-centric players.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:49 pm

Somehow we entrust ball handling to our two worst ball handlers - jayson and Jaylen.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:35 pm

Tomorrow and Sunday we will find out whether we one of the two "F's"...

Freakin' Champs or Flippin' Frauds.

This is the ultimate stage and position in which this team says they thrive. Put up or shut up.

Hallelujah! Amen!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:42 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Tomorrow and Sunday we will find out whether we one of the two "F's"...

This is the ultimate stage and position in which this team says they thrive.  Put up or shut up.

Hallelujah!  Amen!!  

db

I reject that choice. That is such a bad take.

How about, "I am proud of our team, win or lose".

How about some perspective?

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:28 pm

gyso wrote:
dbrown4 wrote:Tomorrow and Sunday we will find out whether we one of the two "F's"...

This is the ultimate stage and position in which this team says they thrive.  Put up or shut up.

Hallelujah!  Amen!!  

db

I reject that choice.  That is such a bad take.

+1

Why is that thought missing from so many?

After every loss it's an implosion, and not just on this forum.

We're in the finals; 1.) after a downright horrifying start to the season, and 2.) with an often injured, limited depth roster.

It's been a fantastic run either way!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:54 pm

NYCelt wrote:
gyso wrote:

Hallelujah!  Amen!!  

db

+1

We're in the finals; 1.) after a downright horrifying start to the season, and 2.) with an often injured, limited depth roster.

This season has been amazing.

To think about where we came from at the halfway mark is beyond amazing. and whether we win the next two games or not we have to be both optimistic about our future and realize there are very serious holes missing on this team. Regardless if there are 17 or 18 banners hanging up in the rafters come next season, we need to address those weaknesses.

The two J's have amazing abilities, but there's something lacking about both. Something Russel had that was lacking in Chamberlin. Larry and Magic both had it, KG, PP they had it and so did Kobe and MJ. There's this F**** the whole G***ed mother F***** world I'm winning this S*** and nothing can stop me attitude. I think it's heart, I dunno. 

Mebbe instead of tape of games, Coach ought to stick in a few Rocky movies.  Or mebbe Coach can take a page out of history. In 1600 the women of the Iroquois went on a strike denying their husbands certain benefits till they ended a particular war.  Perhaps a discussion with players signifigant others  with a suggestion or two thrown in there might awaken in these players  some internal motivation. 

I dunno, all i know is we're 2 wins from another banner, and this team has the skills to make that happen. I believe that. I just don't know if they have the heart and mind needed to do so.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:38 pm

As I said in an earlier post, get to game 7, its anybody's game to win.  What you think GS has ice water running through their vain's!  There would be more pressure on them at home not to F up which puts pressure on players which causes them to tighten up!

Remember 1969 and the ballon game............anything is possible!

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:03 pm

Perhaps I was a little over zealous or maybe even stupid with my words. The fraud term was referring to the resiliency part. This team has positioned itself to the point that now down 3-2, if they are truly resilient as they claim to be, they will win the next two games. And not only win them but win them convincingly. This is the ultimate position for them to put their money where their mouths are. They have stated several times they want to be here in this precise scenario. Well, here you are on the Finals Stage down 3-2.

I was never comfortable with the 7-0 record after a loss because the narrative always hinges upon losing first. But the media ran with that until it finally collapsed. GS has done the exact same thing but you wouldn't know it. While it made the Celtics look good, it only made them look good until we lost.

The record we should have been following all along is the elimination record. Not as flashy because there aren't as many, but look at the those 3 games. MIA G7 in MIA, G6 in MIL and G7 in Boston. THAT'S impressive.

I'm going to be a little suspicious if we come all this way, given just those 3 games alone and what led up to them if we are unable to find a way to beat GS these last two games. Maybe the word fraud was a bit strong but certainly suspicious will work. We've been here before against much tougher competition than the Warriors.

I'm pretty sure we have the heart. Just check those 3 games. There's your Celtic heart. And trust me, the Warriors may be playing a little out of their league recently. And if you have an X-1 elimination record, you're not in the conversation anyway.

It has been an amazing run and the future is extremely bright. More Celtic history. We certainly haven't gotten to the Finals as much as the Lakers. But when we do show up, we win at a percentage very close to being dealt pocket aces. It's not 100%, but it's close enough for me.

The current Celtics know all about Celtic history. Like it or not, it's a ton of pressure. The Lakers of the 80's had to get the Celtic sweeping record off the organization's back. They beat us in 2 out of 3 meetings in the 80's but we won in '84 after a long drought of Celtic/Lakers Finals, preserving our perfect Finals record against them. The Lakers had to feel like, "Well here we go again." Don't get me started on the Perk injury 2010 series. The 4th loss was against the St. Louis Hawk in 1958, but that's it.

Of course the Celtics aren't frauds if they lose. But the Finals loss list is short for a reason. Celtic teams find ways to win. It's all part of the Celtic mystique. And this is the end of the road for this season. One team gets to win the last game of the season.

It's Showtime!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:59 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Ktron wrote:

about 8 hours ago

yesterday

Bob

ktron,

Point GUARD.  I want the ball to be in the hands of a point GUARD.  On this current roster that means Marcus Smart and Derrick White.  Payton Pritchard is at the early stages of floor general development.  Right now I consider him to be analogous to a much younger Eddie House, a shooter who can make the basic pass but not someone with the skills and juice to order better players than him to go where he tells them to go.

On a different, but corollary, note we need to run more plays for Robert Williams.  He's shooting 89% on the series, but he's only taken 18 fgas in 5 games.  Their bigs cannot compete with him.  We need to run more plays for him and we need someone who can deliver the ball to him.  Smart can, and has.  White can, and has.  Tatum penetrates and would rather throw up an off-balance and challenged shot than lobbing it to RWill.  That is another downside to using the Js as point forwards, they are underutilizing RWill because they are shot-centric players.

Bob

I hear ya. You know we all love Marcus and he’s made great strides as a point guard but I’m beginning to think the peter principal also applies here. We do need better PG play down the stretch. I believe that is going to be a priority this off season.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:04 pm

Hallelujah!  Amen!!  

db

Either way I wouldn't consider us Flippin Frauds. However, If by small chance we lose, I’ll be freaking disappointed and will probably flip out!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:26 pm

Were we once down 3 games to 2 against Milwaukee in the EC semifinals and still found a way to win two games? Did that once happen sometime long ago?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:19 am

Also, don't get me wrong. The Celtics are by far the better team in these Finals. Across the board. These last two games, however, are beginning to leave a very bad taste in one's mouth. And calling on history to solve our problems does nothing for the moment at hand when all is said and done.

But I'm an old schooler. I want this team to win the way the Celtic great teams won theirs. With dominance. We haven't dominated the whole series similar to the taste this team had given us the last half of the season. The current team on the floor now is a skeleton of that team, nowhere to be found. We see flashing of last half of season team but almost immediately this current team swings wildly back the other way. Maddening. Confounding. Not the way I remember Championship Celtic teams of the past.

I believe that is why teams have feared us in the past making it to the Finals because 80% of the time, if we make it to the Finals, we're bringing home the trophy.

The funny thing is, this team is rewriting the script for Celtic Champions. They have a chance to show the fan base there is more than one way to skin a cat in Boston when it comes to winning a championship. They do find a way to win. And that is DEFINITELY the mark of a Celtic Championship team. There are ton more less difficult ways of doing it versus the Kingda Ka method this team has chosen which for me as an old schooler is difficult to swallow, but I'll accept their method and will scream it from the mountain tops if they are indeed able to re-write the script and pull this off tonight and Sunday.

But it is put up or shut up, ala Van Halen, RIGHT NOW!!

Go Celtics!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:57 pm

I think we all have a dab of old school in us when it comes to our Celtics. However, we must stop conflating the Celtics teams of the 60’s 70’ 80’s and how they won as champions. Each of those teams during the 3 eras had different players, different coaches and different owners. The only thing that today’s teams have in common with those from the past is the name-Celtics. Of course there’s tradition but thats really just a fallacy. Each one of the era’s had separate traditions. If there is any semblance of a common denominator here is that all of these teams won. This team will too. Embrace the moment!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:32 pm

We have a flawed bench.

Who does IME go to to get rebounding or scoring off the bench who are reliable.

Brad needs to do a retooling from spots 6-12. White is ok but he is not your go to guy in crunch time. We need vet presence and guys who know their roles and responsibilities on the court and in the locker room.

We need a reliable shooter, point guard who can quarterback, PF/C, and a small F.

They are out there, but you have to spend the money and go over the cap. It now or never. If you want to play on the big stage, then retool your bench and bring in some good but short term players and contracts. Our top guys have a window of 2 maybe 3 years contract wise. If they see no future they will pick-up and leave.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:58 pm

112288...you outlined the obvious necessities going bv forward. Wyc, listen up.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:16 pm

I thought we had a deep bench, then Ime stopped playing Theis, then Ime stopped playing GWill. I don’t know what happened to GWill’s game and Pritch, both suddenly couldn’t do anything, after having some really big games before? You don’t know what your going to get from White, being a head coach and figuring out these things is why they get the big bucks. Don’t really know what the answer is, it’s not like the 2 J’s have been playing great either the last 2 games?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:21 am

Matty wrote:
NYCelt wrote:
gyso wrote:

Hallelujah!  Amen!!  

db

+1

This season has been amazing.

To think about where we came from at the halfway mark is beyond amazing. and whether we win the next two games or not we have to be both optimistic about our future and realize there are very serious holes missing on this team. Regardless if there are 17 or 18 banners hanging up in the rafters come next season, we need to address those weaknesses.

The two J's have amazing abilities, but there's something lacking about both. Something Russel had that was lacking in Chamberlin. Larry and Magic both had it, KG, PP they had it and so did Kobe and MJ. There's this F**** the whole G***ed mother F***** world I'm winning this S*** and nothing can stop me attitude. I think it's heart, I dunno. 

Mebbe instead of tape of games, Coach ought to stick in a few Rocky movies.  Or mebbe Coach can take a page out of history. In 1600 the women of the Iroquois went on a strike denying their husbands certain benefits till they ended a particular war.  Perhaps a discussion with players signifigant others  with a suggestion or two thrown in there might awaken in these players  some internal motivation. 

I dunno, all i know is we're 2 wins from another banner, and this team has the skills to make that happen. I believe that. I just don't know if they have the heart and mind needed to do so.

I still remember how hard Pierce played vs Lakers in 08, going right at Kobe in his only MVP year. That kind of effort and rising to the challenge is Celtic basketball. These guys, especially Tatum are lacking some poise/adjustment quality. I don’t know why he makes so many dumb turnovers and keeps on doing it the whole series until his name is in the record book.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2