Early Odds-on-Favorites; 2023 DOPY

+2
bobheckler
NYCelt
6 posters

Go down

Early Odds-on-Favorites; 2023 DOPY Empty Early Odds-on-Favorites; 2023 DOPY

Post by NYCelt Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:34 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/gobert-williams-iii-early-betting-140345879.html?src=rss

Clipped from the article...

NBC’s partner at Points Bet has its early odds out for the 2023 DPOY award and there are a lot of familiar names at the top of the list with Gobert. Here are the top 10:

Rudy Gobert +500
Robert Williams III +650
Bam Adebayo +800
Giannis Antetokounmpo +800
Draymond Green +800
Anthony Davis +1000
Mikal Bridges +1200
Myles Turner +1600
Joel Embed +2500
Jarrett Allen +2500

• Notice reigning DPOY Marcus Smart is not in the top 10, he is +3000. While I think it’s unlikely that he will win the award back-to-back, he’s still a quarterback and a key part of a Celtics’ defense that will be near the top of the league. Those odds seem long.

• If Robert Williams III can stay healthy, he might be the Celtic to win the award this year.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Early Odds-on-Favorites; 2023 DOPY Empty Re: Early Odds-on-Favorites; 2023 DOPY

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:02 pm

NYCelt wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/gobert-williams-iii-early-betting-140345879.html?src=rss

NBC’s partner at Points Bet has its early odds out for the 2023 DPOY award and there are a lot of familiar names at the top of the list with Gobert. Here are the top 10:

Rudy Gobert +500
Robert Williams III +650
Bam Adebayo +800
Draymond Green +800
Anthony Davis +1000
Mikal Bridges +1200
Myles Turner +1600
Joel Embed +2500
Jarrett Allen +2500

• Notice reigning DPOY Marcus Smart is not in the top 10, he is +3000. While I think it’s unlikely that he will win the award back-to-back, he’s still a quarterback and a key part of a Celtics’ defense that will be near the top of the league. Those odds seem long.

• If Robert Williams III can stay healthy, he might be the Celtic to win the award this year.

NYCelt,

Anthony Davis in the top 10 is DOPY.

I've never seen such disrespect to a reigning DPOY like they're showing Smart.  I can sorta understand Kawhi not being on the list, he hasn't played > 60 games in a season since 2016-2017, but Smart's healthy.

The interesting question will be what effect Rudy Gobert will have on the Timberwolves.  Sure, he'll improve his defense single-handedly but will KAT be inspired to play defense too or will he see Gobert's addition as an excuse to devote himself to offense?  With Utah, Gobert was the defense.  They just funneled players to him.  With Minny?  We'll see.  I will say I don't see either one of them going out to the arc like RWill does regularly.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:21 pm

bobheckler wrote:
NYCelt wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/gobert-williams-iii-early-betting-140345879.html?src=rss

Rudy Gobert +500
Robert Williams III +650
Bam Adebayo +800
Draymond Green +800
Anthony Davis +1000
Mikal Bridges +1200
Myles Turner +1600
Joel Embed +2500
Jarrett Allen +2500

NYCelt,

Anthony Davis in the top 10 is DOPY.

I've never seen such disrespect to a reigning DPOY like they're showing Smart.  I can sorta understand Kawhi not being on the list, he hasn't played > 60 games in a season since 2016-2017, but Smart's healthy.

The interesting question will be what effect Rudy Gobert will have on the Timberwolves.  Sure, he'll improve his defense single-handedly but will KAT be inspired to play defense too or will he see Gobert's addition as an excuse to devote himself to offense?  With Utah, Gobert was the defense.  They just funneled players to him.  With Minny?  We'll see.  I will say I don't see either one of them going out to the arc like RWill does regularly.

Bob

Early Odds-on-Favorites; 2023 DOPY Thumbs10
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:58 pm

Goes to show you how much the disrespect for the Celtics goes. This is great, it can only motivate Marcus and RW more. I am not an AD fan, never have been. Let's see how many games he can play this year. All of this Kevin Durant talk will do nothing but motivate the young guys to show that last year was not a fluke and they deserve to be repected. Let's hope I am right
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:07 am

Well right now RWill is more durable than AD and can even play thru injuries better than Davis. AD is so talented, but look how much harder Giannis plays than him? Similar skill level, one just plays all out, like Smart or Dave Cowens and the other plays like he’s afraid to get hurt and gets hurt all the time anyway.

On Gobert and Towns, will be entertaining to see if 2 bigs, twin towers can work? Cleveland is trying twin towers too, will it work, can they still get out to defend the perimeter? Will they give up a lot of open midrange and 3 point shots, right now neither has the ability to play intense perimeter D like a young KG or Timelord right now. AD and Cousins had limited success and Embid and our Al were terrible together, but RWill and Al can and does effectively work, but both have to limit their minutes together and neither is a lumbering 7 footer.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:06 pm

Cow

Gobert and Towns seems like a strange pairing but I guess we need to see if they can play together. I think they could get run off the court.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:15 pm

Embiid got disrespected too. Could not even spell his name right.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:51 pm

dboss wrote:Cow

Gobert and Towns seems like a strange pairing but I guess we need to see if they can play together.  I think they could get run off the court.  

I saw a few of the Jazz’s playoff games the last few years, were not many of them, during regular season seems their weaknesses weren’t exposed so much; but with heightened coaching and strategy during the playoffs, Gobert and Jazz got exposed plenty. Gobert is not a good pick setter, in he rolls too slow and has no jumper to speak of to pick and pop. I will give Danny Ainge credit, he got a ransom for a limited center, great in the paint defensively, but not able to effectively cover on the perimeter, especially when teams go small. On offense he has no midrange or long range jumper or even reliable post up and may just clog the lane making it more difficult for Towns to operate down low. Ainge did so well in this trade, it set unrealistic expectations for the Nets, nobody is going to gut their team for an injury prone 34 year old flake who comes across as a big ungrateful PITA that now expects to call the shots for his franchise. Great talent, but he’s never really been happy at any setting in his career, you can’t trust a player like that.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:24 am

Danny is the smartest trader in the NBA.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:29 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
dboss wrote:Cow

Gobert and Towns seems like a strange pairing but I guess we need to see if they can play together.  I think they could get run off the court.  

I saw a few of the Jazz’s playoff games the last few years, were not many of them, during regular season seems their weaknesses weren’t exposed so much; but with heightened coaching and strategy during the playoffs, Gobert and Jazz got exposed plenty. Gobert is not a good pick setter, in he rolls too slow and has no jumper to speak of to pick and pop. I will give Danny Ainge credit, he got a ransom for a limited center, great in the paint defensively, but not able to effectively cover on the perimeter, especially when teams go small. On offense he has no midrange or long range jumper or even reliable post up and may just clog the lane making it more difficult for Towns to operate down low. Ainge did so well in this trade, it set unrealistic expectations for the Nets, nobody is going to gut their team for an injury prone 34 year old flake who comes across as a big ungrateful PITA that now expects to call the shots for his franchise. Great talent, but he’s never really been happy at any setting in his career, you can’t trust a player like that.

Cow

Danny did a great job of extracting maximum plus value for Gobert.

The Nets will not be able to come close to that unless the 'FLAKE' is traded to a non-contending team. I read something that indicates that the 'FLAKE' may not attend training camp.

He is under contract so if he refuses to play the Nets should refuse to pay him. The Nets have a right and an obligation to secure the best possible trade for him.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down