Jayson Tatum, Jayson Tatum Jayson Tatum

+4
RosalieTCeltics
gyso
NYCelt
wideclyde
8 posters

Go down

Jayson Tatum, Jayson Tatum Jayson Tatum Empty Jayson Tatum, Jayson Tatum Jayson Tatum

Post by wideclyde Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:03 am

We have seen this young man grow both physically and talent wise since he arrived here as a rookie.  What a great move by Danny Ainge taking Tatum over Foltz when Foltz was generally thought to be the best play by far in their draft class.

He was a skinny kid back then who has trained his body exceptionally well.  He now has almost super human shoulders, etc and does not get pushed around very often.  With his added strength he has become much, much faster and can blow by just about any defender in the league to get to the hoop at will.  He has also developed a nice set of finishing skills at the hoop, and when they foul him he is an 85+% free throw shooter.  And, he now plays much better defense than he did when he was younger while also playing a much higher level of defense for much greater portions of the game without having to take time off from defense like he seemed to do when a younger NBA player.

With all of these improvements he has well earned himself the super salary that he now gets and all of the accolades he gets each season from the league and the media.  

However, he still has some more things to work on in order to be the complete team leader that his skills, improvements and salary indicate that he should be.

First, he needs to be far less argumentative with the officials.  In so many close games, his belly aching with the officials takes his (and his teammates') focus away from the game while at the same time his crying all the time always effects the officials in a way that does not help the team or Tatum.  I think that his constant complaining about just about every call is like the teacher who yells all the time rather then using his yelling much less to make a better point.  It gets nothing accomplished (except pissing off the officials), and he would be better served by only questioning the officials on some of their really terrible calls.  The officials have already shown that they are not going to change their calls any faster with the level of complaining that he does.

Second, Mr. Tatum needs to be much more consistent.  Right now he has some great games leading his team (Atlanta last week) and then some absolutely terrible games (last game against Houston).  And, none of this criticism has to do with his number of points scored in either game or his shooting efficiency in either game either. But, if his outside shots are not going in he needs to make an in-game adjustment much faster.

I can understand that he works very hard to improve his game year after year, but he can (AND NEEDS) to be better with his leadership stuff to become a true Celtics immortal player.  I happen to believe that he will continue to understand his strengths and his weaknesses and lead our team to a few championships.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Jayson Tatum, Jayson Tatum Jayson Tatum Empty Re: Jayson Tatum, Jayson Tatum Jayson Tatum

Post by NYCelt Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:34 pm

Wide,

When I was a kid, my mother used to say my name 3 times when she was upset with me.

Seeing you repeat Jayson Tatum 3 times makes me wonder if you're thinking of sending him to his room for a timeout like I used to get.

Just had to ask...
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Jayson Tatum, Jayson Tatum Jayson Tatum Empty Re: Jayson Tatum, Jayson Tatum Jayson Tatum

Post by gyso Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:57 pm

NYCelt wrote:Wide,

When I was a kid, my mother used to say my name 3 times when she was upset with me.

Seeing you repeat Jayson Tatum 3 times makes me wonder if you're thinking of sending him to his room for a timeout like I used to get.

Just had to ask...

My first thought was "Beetlejuice".

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:55 pm

nycelt,

I don't think sending him to his room would help, but I surely would like to see his head coach,or his general manager or some teammate talk to him about his issues.

This guy is the team's star as he gets paid the MOST and has the MOST talent, but his consistency is sorely lacking in some areas.

Let me ask you "did your mother's calling you by name three times work in your house'? My mom always got my attention by telling me to "bring the baseball glove".

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:20 pm

wideclyde wrote:nycelt,

I don't think sending him to his room would help, but I surely would like to see his head coach,or his general manager or some teammate talk to him about his issues.

This guy is the team's star as he gets paid the MOST and has the MOST talent, but his consistency is sorely lacking in some areas.

Let me ask you "did your mother's calling you by name three times work in your house'?  My mom always got my attention by telling me to "bring the baseball glove".

Yeah, the three times worked. Either that or saying our names including the middle initial.

Baseball glove? I'm guessing not for a game of catch!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:36 pm

In my family it was calling us by our first and middle name, then we knew we were in trouble!!!

There is major problem with a few of these guys on the team, Marcus, Jayson, Grant……..ref’s totally dislike our team and until they grow up and stop complaining , they will never get the calls they deserve or earned. It is a real big issue. I believe
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:49 pm

My mother never said anything.  She just looked at us a certain way.  We called it "The Mommy Look".  It's the look that asked "would you prefer burial at sea or cremation, because if you don't stop what you're doing right now those are your choices?"  I think there's someone in every family that has "The Mommy Look".  Now that my mom's gone I'm the one who's got it, not my sister.  I give people that look and they step back.  Sometimes I don't even mean to do it, I'm just thinking hard on something and look at (really "through") them and they shrivel. I'm regularly shaking myself and forcing myself to smile after I see that reaction so they don't really think I'm dangerously loco, I'm just lost in thought and forgot I was staring at them hard.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:30 pm

As long as Giannis is healthy, I don’t see Tatum getting past him as an MVP. Giannis is not a renowned shooter, Tatum has to learn how to further impact the game when his shot is off, Giannis is already there. He is so physical, plays so hard and their GM did a great job adding even more depth for the stretch run and playoffs. Giannis attacks you all game both ends and wears out the defense, Tatum will never be physically there like Giannis. Hope I’m wrong, but right now, no comparison. Thru his will and physicality he makes others better. I’m not seeing Tatum carrying us enough or doing enough little things consistently to make others better. When he’s hot, he sure can light it up and carry us, but he will make the same misses and mistakes over and over and NOT adapt his game with his shot off….frustrating to watch over and over.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:13 am

then maybe we should put you on the bench next to Joe!!! So many questions, so much doubt, where does it all stop and we finally realize that things are slipping through our fingers. This is a scary time for the Boston Celtics. I am not a Joe hater, I just believe he needs a firm hand beside him to guide him along, I just read a funny article that said that KG would be a perfect coach......right........he could not even stand sitting on the bench when he was out of a game. He is too smart to get into coaching. But how about a guy like Atkinson, or Nate??????????? someoone, to help Joe a little. I do not know much about Ben Sullivan, but is Brad really going to stand pat here?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:59 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:As long as Giannis is healthy, I don’t see Tatum getting past him as an MVP. Giannis is not a renowned shooter, Tatum has to learn how to further impact the game when his shot is off, Giannis is already there. He is so physical, plays so hard and their GM did a great job adding even more depth for the stretch run and playoffs. Giannis attacks you all game both ends and wears out the defense, Tatum will never be physically there like Giannis. Hope I’m wrong, but right now, no comparison. Thru his will and physicality he makes others better. I’m not seeing Tatum carrying us enough or doing enough little things consistently to make others better. When he’s hot, he sure can light it up and carry us, but he will make the same misses and mistakes over and over and NOT adapt his game with his shot off….frustrating to watch over and over.

Tatum isn't even a great player....I think Brown is better. He shouldn't even be in the discussion for MVP. Giannis, Joel Embid, Doncic, etc are much better choices. He sucks more often than he is great in games. So tired of seeing him throw the ball away and miss layups.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:26 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:As long as Giannis is healthy, I don’t see Tatum getting past him as an MVP. Giannis is not a renowned shooter, Tatum has to learn how to further impact the game when his shot is off, Giannis is already there. He is so physical, plays so hard and their GM did a great job adding even more depth for the stretch run and playoffs. Giannis attacks you all game both ends and wears out the defense, Tatum will never be physically there like Giannis. Hope I’m wrong, but right now, no comparison. Thru his will and physicality he makes others better. I’m not seeing Tatum carrying us enough or doing enough little things consistently to make others better. When he’s hot, he sure can light it up and carry us, but he will make the same misses and mistakes over and over and NOT adapt his game with his shot off….frustrating to watch over and over.

Giannis gets away with so many charges and travels - it's ridiculous. If he his game were called like a normal player's game, he wouldn't be so dominant.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:37 am

Shamrock1000 wrote:

Giannis gets away with so many charges and travels - it's ridiculous. If he his game were called like a normal player's game, he wouldn't be so dominant.

That’s true, he does get away with alot. However he’s earned respect with his ferocity and ability to work all the time and he rarely complains. He may talk to the refs here and there, but he doesn’t raise his hands and whine like a lot of players over and over….Tatum. I root for him because he doesn’t leave his franchise like all these other bozos, making it all about them in this era and he is still able to dominate by having exceptional athletic skills and the tenacity in how hard he plays all without a 3 point game. That 50 point game in the Finals clincher a few years ago was total dominance and non stop tenacity and effort.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:03 pm

Yesterday Tatum shot 2 for 11 from 3 and 8 for 20 overall.
Brown shot 2 for 6 from 3 and 12 for 23 overall.
Why anyone is still talking about an MVP award for Tatum is beyond me. Every game it seems he is both missing too many layups and committing too many turnovers. Maybe he is injured, but if not, he has a lot to work on this offseason.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:49 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:

That’s true, he does get away with alot. However he’s earned respect with his ferocity and ability to work all the time and he rarely complains. He may talk to the refs here and there, but he doesn’t raise his hands and whine like a lot of players over and over….Tatum. I root for him because he doesn’t leave his franchise like all these other bozos, making it all about them in this era and he is still able to dominate by having exceptional athletic skills and the tenacity in how hard he plays all without a 3 point game. That 50 point game in the Finals clincher a few years ago was total dominance and non stop tenacity and effort.

I used to love Giannis. Respected how he stayed with and won with the Bucks. But after last year's series with the Celtics, I can't stand watching him play. He cheats on every play at either end of the court. It's not little things like palming - it is literally taking 2 ir 3 EXTRA steps and bouncing players off him like a pinball machine. It's not fair, and it's not fun to watch.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down