Was Joe Mazzulla ‘the mastermind’ behind Boston’s defense last year?

+2
jrleftfoot
NYCelt
6 posters

Go down

Was Joe Mazzulla ‘the mastermind’ behind Boston’s defense last year? Empty Was Joe Mazzulla ‘the mastermind’ behind Boston’s defense last year?

Post by NYCelt Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:53 pm

Was Joe Mazzulla ‘the mastermind’ behind Boston’s defense last year?

https://sports.yahoo.com/joe-mazzulla-mastermind-behind-boston-172950487.html?src=rss

CAMERON TABATABAIE
Wed, Mar 22, 2023, 1:29 PM EDT
2 min read

When the Boston Celtics landed in the NBA Finals last season, it was the club’s defensive prowess that had been the tail that wagged the dog. Boston’s defense was historically good by many measures, powering the Celtics to a deep postseason run. Athleticism, grit, and a dynamic system allowed the team to fully dominate on this end of the floor.

The conventional assumption was Boston’s coach at the time Ime Udoka created the conditions for the team’s imposing defense. Udoka preached accountability and toughness, and his new regime coincided with a new era of defensive greatness for the Celtics.

What if Udoka doesn’t deserve as much credit here, though? According to one member of the 2022-23 Celtics, it was a different member of the team’s coaching staff that really helped propel Boston’s stellar defense to new heights.

In a recent interview with Bally Sports’ Brandon “Scoop B” Robinson, Celtics guard Malcolm Brogdon suggested it wasn’t Udoka who crafted Boston’s epic defense. Instead, it was current head coach Joe Mazzulla, who was promoted from his role as an assistant after Udoka’s suspension this fall.

Brogdon was traded to the Celtics this summer. He told Bally Sports he didn’t know much about Mazzulla prior to arriving in Boston. Brogdon explained he quickly learned his new coach may have been responsible for his club’s vaunted defense.

“A few guys told me that he was sort of the mastermind behind our defense and everything in the Finals, and his game plan, his adjustments, and his scouting reports were really good,” Brogdon said.

In his first year as head coach, Mazzulla has made waves with his high-octane offensive scheme. But, when healthy, the Celtics are still juggernauts on defense, too. At the time of this writing, Boston is ranked No. 4 in offense and in defense for the year.

Listen to the “Celtics Lab” podcast on:

Apple Podcasts: https://apple.co/3zBKQY6

Spotify: https://spoti.fi/3GfUPFi

YouTube: https://bit.ly/3F9DvjQ
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Was Joe Mazzulla ‘the mastermind’ behind Boston’s defense last year? Empty Re: Was Joe Mazzulla ‘the mastermind’ behind Boston’s defense last year?

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:31 pm

Couldn't be. Brogdon must be lying, or the guys he talked to lied to him, because everybody on this forum knows he's an idiot.  Was Joe Mazzulla ‘the mastermind’ behind Boston’s defense last year? 1f605
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Was Joe Mazzulla ‘the mastermind’ behind Boston’s defense last year? Empty Re: Was Joe Mazzulla ‘the mastermind’ behind Boston’s defense last year?

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:45 pm

After what, to me, was the Celts most impressive victory of the year, not so much for the quality of the fairly highly touted opposition, but for the all around quality of the Celts play, folks were still taking random potshots at Mazzulla.I'm going to stay out of that fray from now on,, but I appreciate NYCelt finding and publishing this article. Once again, maybe Brad Stevens actually knows what he's doing.Anyway,I'm not looking for a fight, so Ima let the eminently qualified NYC carry the Mazzulla banner. I might chime in once in a while if I can't help myself. Basketball
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bygone Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:13 am

When JM was taking a record breaking low number of timeouts we were 18-4 for the first 22 games.

I don't want to agrue with anyone; opinions are fine and can promote dialog and consideration.

Sure he's made mistakes, and he missed some timeouts after his sucessful initial run. I've been and remain impressed with him, and I respect the opinions of those that disagree.

Thank you nycelt, interesting article. Brogdon seems to be a very straight and honest guy, as for Cameron the reporter's veracity I have no clue.
bygone
bygone

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:33 pm

What us supporters of the coach and his boss Brad I guess don’t understand is that if JM where everything, everywhere all at once instead of going 4-2 on a long grueling road trip with a couple tough/ugly losses they could have gone 7 and -1. The guy is so one dimensional.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:48 pm

BingBang! wrote:What us supporters of the coach and his boss Brad I guess don’t understand is that if JM where everything, everywhere all at once instead of going 4-2 on a long grueling road trip with a couple tough/ugly losses they could have gone 7 and -1. The guy is so one dimensional.
                        Only God can be everywhere at once, if you believe in that sort of thing.Everyone is entitled to there opinion.I'm certainly not trying to silence the majority here. Actually kind of tired of the subject. I suppose this is nitpicking, but I'm not sure how you can go 7-1 on a six game road trip Peace.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:30 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:
BingBang! wrote:What us supporters of the coach and his boss Brad I guess don’t understand is that if JM where everything, everywhere all at once instead of going 4-2 on a long grueling road trip with a couple tough/ugly losses they could have gone 7 and -1. The guy is so one dimensional.
                        Only God can be everywhere at once, if you believe in that sort of thing.Everyone is entitled to there opinion.I'm certainly not trying to silence the majority here. Actually kind of tired of the subject. I suppose this is nitpicking, but I'm not sure how you can go 7-1 on a six game road trip Peace.

I think you missed the sarcasm in BingBang's post.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:10 pm

Berlin-T wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:

I think you missed the sarcasm in BingBang's post.

Berlin-T
thank you. I completly did. My apologies. Reading it now, it's hilarious.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:16 pm

Sorry , bingbang.Reflexive comment. TBH, I thought you were drunk.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:27 pm

All good just having fun. I agree with some of the criticism of the coach but 1. it’s still a players league; 2. Sam taught through example about being a fan hence my support for the coach. 3. the team’s record is really good which again is more about the players just as the team going down in last year’s Finals was.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:37 pm

BingBang! wrote:All good just having fun. I agree with some of the criticism of the coach but 1. it’s still a players league; 2. Sam taught through example about being a fan hence my support for the coach. 3. the team’s record is really good which again is more about the players just as the team going down in last year’s Finals was.
               +1
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:23 pm

Or…8-0 if it wasn’t for Joseph.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down