NO BS PTO days for that guy

2 posters

Go down

NO BS PTO days for that guy Empty NO BS PTO days for that guy

Post by dboss Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:43 pm

As the Celtics get ready for the playoffs one of the concerns I have heard about is all the minutes being played by Jayson Tatum.

I have thought about that and came to the conclusion that fatigue is often tied to the way that you play.  It is hard to be a good defensive player unless you work at it.  You have to play with a lot of energy.  On offense a player will use more energy if they play a lot of ISO basketball.  I love Tatum and Brown but both of them still play too much ISO basketball.  They expend an awful lot of energy when they do that.  It is one thing to keep moving without the ball than it is to fiddle and diddle with the ball.

Think John Havlicek level greatness.  Think 16 years and playing 80, 80, 75. 71, 81. 82, 82, 81, 81, 82, 80, 76, 82, 76, 79 and 82 games.  Think age 29, 30, 31, 32 and 33 while averaging 41.6,  45.4,  45.1,  42.7 and 40.7 MINUTES per game.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/havlijo01.html
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

NO BS PTO days for that guy Empty Re: NO BS PTO days for that guy

Post by Ktron Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:14 pm

dboss wrote:As the Celtics get ready for the playoffs one of the concerns I have heard about is all the minutes being played by Jayson Tatum.

I have thought about that and came to the conclusion that fatigue is often tied to the way that you play.  It is hard to be a good defensive player unless you work at it.  You have to play with a lot of energy.  On offense a player will use more energy if they play a lot of ISO basketball.  I love Tatum and Brown but both of them still play too much ISO basketball.  They expend an awful lot of energy when they do that.  It is one thing to keep moving without the ball than it is to fiddle and diddle with the ball.

Think John Havlicek level greatness.  Think 16 years and playing 80, 80, 75. 71, 81. 82, 82, 81, 81, 82, 80, 76, 82, 76, 79 and 82 games.  Think age 29, 30, 31, 32 and 33 while averaging 41.6,  45.4,  45.1,  42.7 and 40.7 MINUTES per game.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/havlijo01.html

Another thing to consider. Some of these guys play all summer and was in AAU prior. Lots of labor early on.
Back when Hondo and the guys played it was different.
Even with that, any player that has played the number of games that Hondo and others played back then still should be lauded.
Technology then and now gives current players an edge as far as fitness goes. Back then it was only Buddy Leroux and you.

Ktron

Back to top Go down