Who Is On Your ALL-NBA Teams?

+4
NYCelt
cowens/oldschool
steve3344
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Who Is On Your ALL-NBA Teams? Empty Who Is On Your ALL-NBA Teams?

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:23 am

It's time to pre-guess the sports media.  Who do you think deserves to be on those three teams.

Whether it makes sense anymore in our fairly positionless NBA they still name players to it by position.  So there can only be one center on each team, two forwards and two guards.  Use your own criteria, just like they do.  If someone's numbers look great but they only played half a season because of injuries and "load management" and you think that should be weighed in, then do it.  Your list, your criteria.  It would be helpful if you told us what those criteria were.  Not only would it help to explain your choices but it also might help ripen other posters' thought processes.

Steve3344, I expect to see your selections here.  This was your idea, you spent an inordinate amount of time agonizing over who deserves to be on it and who shouldn't.

Here's a template.  You can copy-and-paste it and fill in your own names.

ALL-NBA FIRST TEAM

Center -
Forward -
Forward -
Guard -
Guard -

ALL-NBA SECOND TEAM

Center -
Forward -
Forward -
Guard -
Guard -

ALL-NBA THIRD TEAM

Center -
Forward -
Forward -
Guard -
Guard -

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Who Is On Your ALL-NBA Teams? Empty Re: Who Is On Your ALL-NBA Teams?

Post by steve3344 Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:40 pm

Because of all the conjecture whether Jaylen will make one of the three All-NBA teams and get a max contract with the C's, I mentioned to Bob I was going to take a look at who might make them and decided to put my own list together. Next year with the new CBA the league is mandating a minimum of 65 games played for all the major awards including All-NBA teams to discourage load management. Because that's next year and there is no official minimum now, I decided to set my own list criteria at 55 games, which is two thirds of the season, so I could consider the tremendous but limited seasons that Curry, Lebron, AD and Lillard had, who each played between 55 and 58 games. Even at 55 games that eliminates guys like Kawhi, Booker and obviously Durant. Giannis only played 63 and he wouldn't even be eligible at that number next year. But here's no way I could keep him off the list. I did take total games into consideration and if players were close and one played a bunch more games, he got the nod. Availability is a big deal. And by the way, this isn't an MVP list. Just who had the best seasons. However, teams' performance did play somewhat of a role in my thinking (bye Kyrie and Lillard - but couldn't leave Doncic off because of that, tho). Also, the amount of responsibility a player had on his team factored in too.

One more thing - it was said that Jaylen Brown played apporximately 2/3 of his games at forward this year because of all the games RWill missed and that White started, he gets listed as a forward. Next year he should be back as a guard. Stay healthy Rob.

Here are my three teams and having to limit the guards to a total of six was the most difficult.

ALL NBA FIRST TEAM

C - Jokic
F - Giannis
F - Tatum
G - Doncic
G - Mitchell

ALL NBA SECOND TEAM

C - Embiid
F - AD
F - Jaylen
G - Morant
G - Gilgeous-Alexander

ALL NBA THIRD TEAM

C - Sabonis
F - Randle
F - Lebron
G - Curry
G - Fox

Notable players who just missed the cut: Markkanen, Butler, Siakam, Haliburton, Edwards, LaVine, Lillard, Trea, DeRozan, Paul George, Brunson.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:21 pm

Jokic is not a good enough defender to be first team IMHO, one of the reasons he also gets bounced early every playoffs. He’s a very good effective offensive player, but 3 time MVP great, no way…??? Anthony Davis has owned Jokic. I didn’t think he should have gotten the last 2 MVP’s, very good player, but Wilt Russell Bird good? Not

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:40 pm

First team

C- Embid
F- Giannis
F- Tatum
G- Brown
G- Morant

Second team

C- Jokic
F- AD
F- Lebron
G- Doncic
G- SGA

Third team

C- Sabonis
F- Randle
F- DeRozen
G- Mitchell
G- Fox

I put Jaylen ahead of Doncic and SGA, because he plays both ends and defends multiple positions, those guys have trouble defending one position. Also it’s easy to put up big numbers on a weak team, if Jaylen wasn’t playing with Tatum, he could be putting up huge numbers. I’m old school, winning still means something over individual stats. Jaylen is nuclear, Barkley’s words and plays winning basketball.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:49 pm

First

C- Embiid
PF- Giannis
SF- Tatum
SG- SGA
PG- Doncic

Second

C- Jokic
PF- Randle
SF- Brown
SG- Mitchell
PG- Lillard

Third

C- Sabonis
PF- Markkanen
SF- James
PG- Curry
PG- Fox

Morant gets snubbed due to off court issues
James gets included in the season he broke the scoring record, despite a low number of games played
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:44 pm

Surprised more folks haven’t posted on this thread. I would like to see the picks of Heckler, dboss, ktron, bobc33 and all of you, as you all have much knowledge.

On Doncic, who Steve and NY Celt have on the first team. I realize he doesn’t have ideal personnel around him, but at some point maybe he’s not as impactful a player as advertised, even though he puts up incredible numbers. There’s 2 obvious sides of the floor, he’s a defensive liability; not just his ability, he doesn’t hustle enough at all on that end IMHO. He can’t really cover any position and you can’t hide him. For a guy that puts up great stats, on the floor he’s never meshed with other stars brought in to make him and the team better. At some point it has to be about him. It never works as hoped/hyped. He dominates the ball and may have had to, but he may play too slow and now the franchise is in complete disarray. No serviceable bigs, no other competent wings, no defense, they’re all gone and now he’s got Kyrie and the team got fined for tanking/load management. Having a year like that, should he really be rewarded with first team all NBA…???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:00 pm

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:35 pm

First

F-Tatum
F-Giannis
C-Embiid
G-SGA
G Curry

Second

F-Brown
F-Durant
C-Jokic
G-Doncic
G-Morant

Third

G-Mitchell
G-Fox
C-Sabonis
F-James (dnp-kd)
F-Randle

Last edited by Ktron on Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:20 pm

Cow I don’t follow other teams and players nearly enough to make an educated guess at all NBA teams.

But I do share your concerns about Doncic, and you know I’ve been following him since he came into the league. Heck, he even got me to subscribe to NBA League pass one season and I am definitely a cheap guy. The dude doesn’t play defense, spends way to much time complaining to the refs, and doesn’t seem to be in top physical shape ever. He is amazing on offense so I can see him making third team, but I don’t see his team going deep in the playoffs without changing his game a bit.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:40 pm

Ktron wrote:First

F-Tatum
F-Giannis
C-Embiid
G-SGA
G Curry

Second

F-Brown
F-Durant
C-Jokic
G-Doncic
G-Morant

Third

G-Mitchell
G-Fox
C-Sabonis
F-James
F-Randle

Durant really? He didn’t play enough games for me

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:44 pm

bobc33 wrote:Cow I don’t follow other teams and players nearly enough to make an educated guess at all NBA teams.  

But I do share your concerns about Doncic, and you know I’ve been following him since he came into the league.  Heck, he even got me to subscribe to NBA League pass one season and I am definitely a cheap guy. The dude doesn’t play defense, spends way to much time complaining to the refs, and doesn’t seem to be in top physical shape ever.  He is amazing on offense so I can see him making third team, but I don’t see his team going deep in the playoffs without changing his game a bit.

I don’t watch enough other games, but am still a boxscore junkie. I might just see enough

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:53 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:

F-Tatum
F-Giannis
C-Embiid
G-SGA
G Curry

Second

F-Brown
F-Durant
C-Jokic
G-Doncic
G-Morant

Third

G-Mitchell
G-Fox
C-Sabonis
F-James
F-Randle

Yeah I considered that but I felt he is still one of the best at his position. He played 47 and LeBron only played 8 more at 55 and there was no way I could put Randle or Lebron ahead of him.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:21 pm

Ktron wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

F-Tatum
F-Giannis
C-Embiid
G-SGA
G Curry

Second

F-Brown
F-Durant
C-Jokic
G-Doncic
G-Morant

Third

G-Mitchell
G-Fox
C-Sabonis
F-James
F-Randle

Yeah I considered that but I felt he is still one of the best at his position. He played 47 and LeBron only played 8 more at 55 and there was no way I could put Randle or Lebron ahead of him.

Was wondering why Lebron was left off all 3 teams. I’m not a Lebron fan, but I detest Durant more….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:21 pm

Oh sorry just saw he’s on your 3rd team

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:11 am

I have a real issue , regardless of talent, with Durant making this team . He only played a little over half a season combined. Glad the nba put in that 65 game rule
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:25 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Surprised more folks haven’t posted on this thread. I would like to see the picks of Heckler, dboss, ktron, bobc33 and all of you, as you all have much knowledge.

On Doncic, who Steve and NY Celt have on the first team. I realize he doesn’t have ideal personnel around him, but at some point maybe he’s not as impactful a player as advertised, even though he puts up incredible numbers. There’s 2 obvious sides of the floor, he’s a defensive liability; not just his ability, he doesn’t hustle enough at all on that end IMHO. He can’t really cover any position and you can’t hide him. For a guy that puts up great stats, on the floor he’s never meshed with other stars brought in to make him and the team better. At some point it has to be about him. It never works as hoped/hyped. He dominates the ball and may have had to, but he may play too slow and now the franchise is in complete disarray. No serviceable bigs, no other competent wings, no defense, they’re all gone and now he’s got Kyrie and the team got fined for tanking/load management. Having a year like that, should he really be rewarded with first team all NBA…???

Cow

I will never get a real vote!

My cutoff is 60 games. Bill Russell once said something to the effect that greatness is tied to availability (durability). Also since we are living in an age of position-less basketball, I am not going to make a distinction between PF and Centers.

First team

Embid
Giannis
Tatum
Doncic
Mitchell

Second team

Jokic
Randle
Brown
Alexander
Fox

Third team

Sabonis
Adebayo
Markkanen
Morant
Edwards
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:01 pm

I really am not unbiased enough to not put Tatum and Brown on the first team. Giannis is a definite, as I suppose is Doncic and Mitchell After that it is a crap shoot. I will be like that guy who did not vote for Tatum .....I cannot tell a lie, I will never vote for a 76er! Admit your faults Rosalie.. The rest you guys can take a shot at all I care about are my two guys. If Smart had a healthy year I would have found a way of putting him in too! Just telling the truth
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:49 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Oh sorry just saw he’s on your 3rd team

Ya Guess its too late to take him off so i’ll just DNP his a$$. (DNP-KD)

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:02 am

Ktron wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Oh sorry just saw he’s on your 3rd team

Ya Guess its too late to take him off so i’ll just DNP his a$$. (DNP-KD)
Fuuny
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu May 11, 2023 4:14 pm

NYCelt wrote:First

C- Embiid
PF- Giannis
SF- Tatum
SG- SGA
PG- Doncic

Second

C- Jokic
PF- Randle
SF- Brown
SG- Mitchell
PG- Lillard

Third

C- Sabonis
PF- Markkanen
SF- James
PG- Curry
PG- Fox

Morant gets snubbed due to off court issues
James gets included in the season he broke the scoring record, despite a low number of games played

Most of us were pretty close...

The 2022-23 Kia All-NBA First Team:

▪ Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee Bucks
▪ Luka Dončić, Dallas Mavericks
▪ Joel Embiid, Philadelphia 76ers
▪ Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Oklahoma City Thunder
▪ Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics

The 2022-23 Kia All-NBA Second Team:

▪ Jaylen Brown, Boston Celtics
▪ Jimmy Butler, Miami Heat
▪ Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors
▪ Nikola Jokić, Denver Nuggets
▪ Donovan Mitchell, Cleveland Cavaliers

The 2022-23 Kia All-NBA Third Team:

▪ De'Aaron Fox, Sacramento Kings
▪ LeBron James, Los Angeles Lakers
▪ Damian Lillard, Portland Trail Blazers
▪ Julius Randle, New York Knicks
▪ Domantas Sabonis, Sacramento Kings
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down