Hawks guard Dejounte Murray bumps referee, putting Game 5 status into question

+4
Ktron
sinus007
dboss
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Hawks guard Dejounte Murray bumps referee, putting Game 5 status into question Empty Hawks guard Dejounte Murray bumps referee, putting Game 5 status into question

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:53 am

Hawks guard Dejounte Murray bumps referee, putting Game 5 status into question

By Nicole Yang Globe Staff, Updated April 23, 2023

ATLANTA — Hawks guard Dejounte Murray bumped into a referee in the final moments of Game 4 on Sunday night, putting his status for Tuesday’s Game 5 in jeopardy.

As the clock expired, finalizing Boston’s 129-121 victory, Murray went over to speak to umpire Gediminas Petraitis on his way off the court. Murray leaned close into Petraitis’s face, his chest bumping into the official’s shoulder.

According to NBA rules, “any player or coach guilty of intentional physical contact with an official shall automatically be suspended without pay for one game. A fine and/or longer period of suspension will result if circumstances so dictate.”

Petraitis did not appear to say anything to Murray during the interaction. After passing Petraitis on his route to the locker room, Murray turned around to yell and point in the direction of referee Tyler Ford. Two members of Hawks personnel guided Murray off the court.

Earlier this season, the league suspended Celtics forward Grant Williams one game for “recklessly making contact with and directing inappropriate language toward a game official.”

If Murray is suspended, the Hawks, down 3-1 in their first-round playoff series against the Celtics, will face elimination without one of their primary sources of offense. Murray is averaging 25.2 points during the series on 45.6 percent shooting.

Bob
MY NOTE:  If Murray is suspended then this series really and truly is over.  I'll be watching to see what the league does.  They've already made some biased calls, in favor of starters and All-Stars, IMO.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Hawks guard Dejounte Murray bumps referee, putting Game 5 status into question Empty Re: Hawks guard Dejounte Murray bumps referee, putting Game 5 status into question

Post by dboss Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:53 am

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1650326756086231040?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

What's the O/U on s suspension, lol

He will be suspended. Dumb ass
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Hawks guard Dejounte Murray bumps referee, putting Game 5 status into question Empty Re: Hawks guard Dejounte Murray bumps referee, putting Game 5 status into question

Post by sinus007 Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:37 pm

Hi,
I doubt they suspend him. If they do it'd be a clear indication that the league favors Celtics.
Also, it happened after the game has ended.
BTW, the ref, judging by his body language, couldn't understand what's happening and then couldn't decide if this moron is for real.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:43 pm

DeJunkie is a real disappointment for me. I admired him as a player with the Spurs and actually wondered why we didn’t trade for him instead of White.
Shows how much I know. Thank you Brad Stevens. Thank ya!

Funny how this behavior was not on display until he left Pop.
Or, maybe it was and thats why Pop shipped his narrow a$$ off to Atlanta.

The dude thinks he’s Hot stuff yapping at the opposing coach and showboating while being down 2-0 now 3-1.

This series is over and done and so isn’t Daddy Long Legged DeJunkie.

I’d be very surprised if he’s not suspended.

What a….

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:30 pm

He is suspended for game five and the rest of the year
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:35 pm

To add to my post, just remember, they suspended Marcus for a much less bump, they set the bar, now they have to live up to it. They are taking so much flak about Green being suspended, why did they let Embid get away with that kick, he knew exactly what he was going. Clayton is no choir boy, they should have thrown them both out right there, then looked at what Embid did. No consistency, so their backs were against the wall. Murray knew exactly what he was doing, WHY I have no idea
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:46 pm

Dejounte Murray suspended for Hawks-Celtics Game 5 after incident with official

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nba-playoffs-dejounte-murray-suspended-for-hawks-celtics-game-5-after-incident-with-official-212704177.html

Callie Lawson-Freeman·Contributing writer
Mon, April 24, 2023 at 5:27 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks guard Dejounte Murray will miss one game of the team's first-round playoff series with the Boston Celtics. (David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports)

The NBA has suspended Atlanta Hawks guard Dejounte Murray one game for "making inappropriate contact with and verbally abusing a game official," the league announced on Monday.

He bumped into an official at the end of Sunday's playoff loss to the Boston Celtics, prompting an NBA investigation.

This story will be updated.

My comment: Very little info in this article, so an update would help . . .

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:47 pm

Hi,
Yes he is suspended: https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-playoffs-dejounte-murray-suspended-for-hawks-celtics-game-5-after-incident-with-official-212704177.html

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:50 pm

Yay! Jacka$$!!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:51 pm

The NBA suspended Hawks guard Dejounte Murray for Game 5 in the first round of playoffs against the Celtics for “making inappropriate contact with and verbally abusing” official Gediminas Petraitis after Atlanta’s Game 4 loss, the NBA announced Monday. Here’s what you need to know:

In a video that circulated on social media after the game, Murray approached Petraitis with frustration as the buzzer sounded and bumped him with his chest.
Murray walked away and pointed at officials before being guided to the locker room by teammate Aaron Holiday.
Backstory

Historically, inappropriately bumping an official the way that Murray did crosses a bright red line, one that results in an automatic ejection and a one-game suspension.

Boston’s Grant Williams, for instance, was ejected and suspended one game in October after he contacted official Cheryl Flores in a loss against the Bulls. With the buzzer going off at the same time that Murray contacted official Petraitis, ejection wasn’t possible Sunday. — Hollinger

Yay! Jacka$$!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:09 pm

I would love to know just what the heck he was so mad about. As I pointed out last night, with just seconds left on the clock, Murray was determined to score another basket. I have wondered this year why we so politely dribble out the clock, take a 24 second violation or whatever.??? Good sportsmanship, I surmised, but when he took that shot last night it was just about jacking up his own numbers. Juvenile. I hope the Celtics are smart enough to come out and play and win by 40 tomorrow night
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:47 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I would love to know just what the heck he was so mad about.  As I pointed out last night, with just seconds left on the clock, Murray was determined to score another basket.  I have wondered this year why we so politely dribble out the clock, take a 24 second violation or whatever.??? Good sportsmanship, I surmised, but when he took that shot last night it was just about jacking up his own numbers.  Juvenile.  I hope the Celtics are smart enough to come out and play and win by 40 tomorrow night
Rosalie I was surprised that he took a shot with under 20 seconds or so remaining.

There exists a general rule of thumb that neither the winning team nor losing team will shoot the ball as the game clock is winding down and no additional points will alter the outcome.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:50 pm

That really angered me last night, it shows that this kid really has no class. He is lucky he is not playing, I think that he would have been a center of defensive attention for the whole night. Oh well…..he is not playing, shows how immature he really is
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:27 am

Welcome to the Age of Entitlement, folks. My wife as a high school math teacher sees this EVERY DAY. But that's not the problem. It's the result. By the time children get to school, it's too late. This is a mom and dad thing. Point all 5 fingers on both hands at them. And their just wanting to be their child's "friend". Discipline goes right out the window and parents expect your teachers to raise their kids/babysit them while they are "away" for the day. Not the teacher's responsibility. But they get to deal with the parent's lack of child-rearing skills everyday.

Throw in a ton of money with not real consequences for one's actions and what you see is what is before you. These are essentially children, playing a child's game who just won the lottery. Entitlement. They have not had the chance to grow up. They are thrown into a financial whirlwind right out of the gate. Add that some come from abject poverty and you see a huge attitude swing with no time for real world adjustment.

Most of us on this site didn't have or even see this problem growing up because we knew our parents or grandparents or neighbors would literally kick/whip our asses from here to Texas if we stepped out of line. Usually the threat itself was enough. There was respect for authority. Even a healthy fear for/of it. It started with our parents. But not anymore.

The NBA has some consequences for one's actions. At least they are trying. They try to teach these kids to be adults and that there are consequences. But it's going to take a large swing back the other way or at least a trend toward central ground to fix this attitude. Or it may never get fixed.

Don't know where all that came from!

Amen.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:50 am

He had to be suspended, you can't bump a referee. It's just a bonehead move. He has been arrogant the entire series. When he hit that big 3 in game 3 with D White draped on him, he dissed D White. Got to admit he presented a problem, but now we have to make sure we finish this thing tonite. We need a couple days to regroup for Philly.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:35 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Welcome to the Age of Entitlement, folks.  My wife as a high school math teacher sees this EVERY DAY.  But that's not the problem.  It's the result.  By the time children get to school, it's too late.  This is a mom and dad thing.  Point all 5 fingers on both hands at them.  And their just wanting to be their child's "friend".  Discipline goes right out the window and parents expect your teachers to raise their kids/babysit them while they are "away" for the day.  Not the teacher's responsibility.  But they get to deal with the parent's lack of child-rearing skills everyday.    

Throw in a ton of money with not real consequences for one's actions and what you see is what is before you.  These are essentially children, playing a child's game who just won the lottery.  Entitlement.  They have not had the chance to grow up.   They are thrown into a financial whirlwind right out of the gate.  Add that some come from abject poverty and you see a huge attitude swing with no time for real world adjustment.      

Most of us on this site didn't have or even see this problem growing up because we knew our parents or grandparents or neighbors would literally kick/whip our asses from here to Texas if we stepped out of line.  Usually the threat itself was enough.  There was respect for authority.  Even a healthy fear for/of it.  It started with our parents.  But not anymore.  

The NBA has some consequences for one's actions.  At least they are trying.  They try to teach these kids to be adults and that there are consequences.  But it's going to take a large swing back the other way or at least a trend toward central ground to fix this attitude.  Or it may never get fixed.

Don't know where all that came from!  

Amen.

db          

Slow your role there my brother. We don't know for certain that DeJunkie wasn't raised properly. I’d rather assume that he’s just an idiot and since I don’t his parents, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:14 pm

Alright, Ktron, I just see the extension from all my wife's stories from work!! You are correct, though, it was a stretch but it's probably close.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down