Post Game - Celtics at Clippers - Saturday, December 23 (W)

+4
Celtics17
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
gyso
8 posters

Go down

Post Game - Celtics at Clippers - Saturday, December 23 (W) Empty Post Game - Celtics at Clippers - Saturday, December 23 (W)

Post by gyso Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:59 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401585017

Post Game - Celtics at Clippers - Saturday, December 23 (W) Box_sc67
Post Game - Celtics at Clippers - Saturday, December 23 (W) Box_sc68
Post Game - Celtics at Clippers - Saturday, December 23 (W) Box_sc69

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Celtics at Clippers - Saturday, December 23 (W) Empty Re: Post Game - Celtics at Clippers - Saturday, December 23 (W)

Post by gyso Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:00 pm

Post Game - Celtics at Clippers - Saturday, December 23 (W) Game_f24

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Celtics at Clippers - Saturday, December 23 (W) Empty Re: Post Game - Celtics at Clippers - Saturday, December 23 (W)

Post by gyso Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:03 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:23 pm

Celtics-Clippers takeaways: Tatum, C's rain 3s on L.A. in blowout win

https://sports.yahoo.com/celtics-clippers-takeaways-tatum-cs-231319577.html

Justin Leger
Sat, Dec 23, 2023, 6:13 PM EST·4 min read

Post Game - Celtics at Clippers - Saturday, December 23 (W) Scree449

Celtics-Clippers takeaways: Tatum, C's rain 3s on L.A. in blowout win originally appeared on NBC Sports Boston

Three Key Storylines

Jayson Tatum powers through ankle injury
Neemias Queta making the most of his opportunities
Another 3-point clinic for Boston

The Boston Celtics took care of business against one of the hottest teams in the NBA on Saturday.

Their West Coast road trip continued in Los Angeles against the Clippers, who entered the early-afternoon matchup with nine wins over their last 10 games. Coming off a bounce-back road win over the Sacramento Kings, the C's improved to 2-1 out west with a 145-108 win at Crypto.com Arena. They've scored a whopping 289 points over their last two games.

Jayson Tatum returned after missing Wednesday's win with a sprained ankle and led the C's with 30 points in 30 minutes. He was one of six Celtics players in double figures, including Jaylen Brown (24 points) and Jrue Holiday (20 points).

The Celtics will stay in L.A. and prepare for a Christmas Day showdown with LeBron James and the Lakers. First, here are three takeaways from Saturday's victory.

Jayson Tatum powers through ankle issue

Tatum was listed as questionable to play in Saturday's game up until the opening tip. He suffered an ankle sprain in Tuesday's loss at Golden State that forced him to miss Wednesday's win in Sacramento.

The injury didn't appear to impede his performance at all in L.A. The four-time All-Star quickly made his presence felt with a 10-point first quarter highlighted by two tough finishes at the rim.

Tatum stayed hot in the second quarter, though he had Celtics fans holding their collective breath with another ankle issue.

He drilled a 3-pointer but landed awkwardly on Clippers rookie Kobe Brown's foot. After staying down holding his ankle for several moments, he popped back up and hit his free throw to complete the four-point play. C's fans breathed a sigh of relief as he stayed in the game and finished the first half with 21 points.

Brown received a Flagrant 1 for the incident, which you can watch below:

Tatum finished with 30 points (9-16 FG, 5-10 3-PT), five rebounds, two assists, and a steal. He did so in only three quarters as a sizable lead allowed him to rest for the entire fourth.

The re-aggravation of Tatum's ankle injury doesn't appear to be an issue, but his status will still be worth monitoring leading into Boston's Christmas Day game.

Neemias Queta brings the energy

Queta has seen a boost in minutes recently with fellow big men Luke Kornet and Kristaps Porzingis missing time due to injuries. The two-way center has made the most of his opportunities.

He started the West Coast trip with his first career double-double (10 points, 10 rebounds vs. Golden State) and has continued to impress. In Sacramento, he tallied six points and eight boards in 19 minutes. On Saturday in L.A., he notched his second double-double in three games.

The former All-NBA G League selection racked up a career-high 14 points and 12 rebounds (nine in the first half) in 23 minutes. It took him only 16 minutes to record his double-double.

At this point, the Celtics must consider signing Queta to a standard contract. Two-way players can only be active for 50 total games. Whenever he's gotten a chance this season, Queta has shown the potential to be a rock-solid third center for Boston.

This West Coast trip has undoubtedly given Brad Stevens and Co. something to ponder.

Dominance from deep and on the glass

After putting on a 3-point clinic in Sacramento, the Celtics provided an encore in L.A.

They shot 15-for-33 from beyond the arc in the first half to come just one 3-point make shy of the franchise record (16 last Feb. vs. Charlotte). That lights-out shooting continued in the second half as the C's finished 25-for-53 (47.2 percent) from deep.

Seven Celtics players hit multiple 3s: Tatum (5-10), Jrue Holiday (4-6), Jaylen Brown (3-6), Derrick White (3-10), Payton Pritchard (3-5), Oshae Brissett (3-4), and Al Horford (2-5).

The Celtics didn't just dominate from 3, they also wreaked havoc on the offensive glass. They became just the third team in NBA history to make at least 15 3-pointers and grab at least nine offensive rebounds in a first half.

Queta played a huge role in that department with six offensive boards. Brown and Holiday added three apiece as the C's had 15 total offensive boards to L.A.'s nine. That advantage translated to second-chance points, where Boston dominated 23-8.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:30 pm

From another perspective:

Celtics rout Clippers from start to finish, and from deep

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2023-12-23/los-angeles-clippers-boston-celtics-nba-game-recap

BY ANDREW GREIF
STAFF WRITER
FOLLOW
DEC. 23, 2023 3:13 PM PT

Post Game - Celtics at Clippers - Saturday, December 23 (W) Scree450

Given a microphone Saturday afternoon before tipoff against Boston, Clippers wing Terance Mann began to deliver the team’s customary pre-holiday message to fans when he ad-libbed the script.

“There’s a lot of green in here,” Mann said, drawing a mixture of jeers and cheers. “I don’t like that.”

For the next two-plus hours during a 145-108 rout of the Clippers, it was all green on the court, too.

The Celtics dominated the Clippers from behind the arc.

They outrebounded them by 17, took nearly double the number of free throws (28 to 15), nearly tripled their second-chance points (23 to 8 ) and committed fewer turnovers (9 to 10).

Clippers coach Tyronn Lue said before tipoff that he didn’t consider the day’s matchup against Boston, with its record tying for the league’s best, as a measuring stick of his own team. Yet even viewed in a vacuum, this was as lopsided a loss as the Clippers experienced all season.

The Clippers (17-12) could have pointed to their other disadvantages — that Boston played with an extra day of rest, and that Kawhi Leonard missed his second consecutive game because of a hip contusion that Lue again classified as “day to day.”

Yet Boston (22-6) was without key starter Kristaps Porzingis. And with the Clippers trailing by as many as 39 points, there was little doubt which team was the class of its conference, the other with work to do to enter such a conversation. The Celtics made 25 of their 53 three-pointers, a stunning volume for even a team that takes three-pointers more often than any other.

Paul George scored a team-high 21 points for the Clippers, Ivica Zubac had 16 points and 10 rebounds, and James Harden finished with 14 points and nine assists. Daniel Theis had 15 points and Russell Westbrook 12 off the bench. But none of it could compare to Boston’s superiority.

Jayson Tatum had 30 points and Jaylen Brown scored 24 as few starters for either team played in the fourth quarter. Celtics guard Derrick White showed why he is one of the league’s best defenders by blocking three shots to go with 18 points.

Playing from behind almost immediately after scoring their fewest points in an opening quarter since Dec. 6, the Clippers’ deficit grew to 16 quickly in the quarter when they continued to struggle grabbing rebounds to extend their own possessions or end those of Boston. Before the Clippers scored their first points off a second-chance opportunity, Boston already had 10. Seven of the game’s first eight offensive rebounds went to Boston.

Then there was the issue of Tatum. He spun past rookie forward Kobe Brown — playing his first true rotation minutes in three games — for a vicious one-handed dunk in the first quarter, then drew a four-point play on Brown in the second. His teammate, Norman Powell, pulled aside Brown during the ensuing timeout break to talk about guarding Tatum’s step-back move. Tatum had 21 points at halftime. The Clippers’ stingy defense had gone nearly a month without allowing a 40-point quarter — on Saturday, it happened for a second consecutive game.

Yet the high volume of three-pointers that fueled Tatum’s big half — eight three-point attempts and five makes — were no outlier. This season, teams on average take 34.9 three-pointers and make 12.8 of them every game; the Celtics eclipsed or came close to passing those marks by halftime, by making 15 of their first 33 three-pointers. And the Celtics reached their league-leading season average for three-point attempts by the end of the third quarter.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:44 pm

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow.

Now 2-1 on this west coast road trip.  A win over the Lakers would make it a 3-1 west coast road trip and I will take that any day.  Anytime I can go on a road trip and play .750 ball I'm good.  Now we just have to bring the heat on Xmas Day.

6 Celtics in double digits, 3 20+.

28 ftas vs 15 is unusual for a visiting team but they looked like legit whistles to my admittedly biased eyes.  In fact, I think an argument could be made for tossing Tyronn Lue considering how many of his players repeatedly got their feet underneath Jayson Tatum's injured left ankle.  Once, sure, but at least twice under the same ankle?

51 - 34, an 18 rebound advantage.  15 of our 15 were offensive, a nice rich ratio of offensive rebounds to total.  Clearly the leader in this was The Qster.  6 of his 12 rebounds, half, were offensive.  A 14 point, 12 rebound, 3 assist 1 turnover night for Q in just 23 minutes.  5 fouls but who cares.  Give me this in 23 minutes regularly and he can foul out every game for all I care.

33 assists on 49 fgm is very nice.  All of it, the 33 assists has to be close to a season record as is 49 fgm.  94 fgas is the tempo that punishes teams that are not in that kind of shape.

21 fast break points vs 13.  Running them off the court.  I just wish Tommy was here to see this.

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
3 minutes ago
The Celtics' 289 points over a two-game span is their most since November 19, 1966, per @Stathead. They eclipsed 290 three times in the Russell era.

Derrick with another all-round game.  3 blocks.

Post Game - Celtics at Clippers - Saturday, December 23 (W) GCElL0-WYAAzOV1?format=jpg&name=medium

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:37 pm

Wow wow wow wow

Routine great game for J’s, just methodically leading team by example, beating down and outplaying their counterparts both ends. Wish we could have seen Kawhi, because this beatdown was too easy. Love Zinger, but silver lining is Queta getting more minutes to show he belongs. He definitely has a nose for the ball and hustles fast constantly. Love good dirty work players, he looked great next to Al in the double bigs. Our starting backcourt also looked great both ends, must be a theme here, just a great great overall team win. Pure dominance in 2 games on the road, we are progressing!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:46 am

One of the nice things about being a big with no outside game is that setting picks and rolling to the front of the rim is 100% natural, no pick-and-pops for you.  At about 1:05 of this video you see Queta on top setting a flash pick for Pritchard to slow down his defender and from there go straight into a solid set pick for Tatum who had the ball.  As soon as Tatum came around his pick he immediately rolled to the front of the rim, which froze Jrue's defender in the paint weakside.  Tatum passed to Jrue who was now alone at the arc.  Jrue's man then ran to recover, Jrue blew past him and that brought Queta's man to stop Jrue leaving Queta alone underneath for Jrue's pass.  That all happened because Queta loves to set picks and then roll to the iron.

That is fundamental basketball. Real old school stuff.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:07 am

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:14 am

Another dominating performance.

Tatum looked like himself, even after tweaking the ankle again. Hopefully, he's good to go against the Lakers.

Everyone played well. Holiday is just terrific. Love his play on both ends. Of course, my man D White (sb All Star) turned in another quiet solid game. Jaylen just continues to dominate. I hope he can maintain this level. However, most impressive of all was Queta. The guy really has a nice game. He plays good D, is a force on the boards, hits his FTs and sets decent screens. I think he has easily surpassed Kornet. I will be very disappointed if Joe goes back to Kornet.

Now lets smack the Lakers tomorrow and laugh at them hanging a banner for winning the in season tournament. That is a joke. I'm not crazy about the Minneapolis Lakers banners, but that isn't nearly as bad as this. I would love to see us smack them good tomorrow.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:54 am

Forgive me, please, for the sacrilegious thought, but I think Queta is actually better for us than Rob Williams (whom I loved) would have been had we not sent him to Portland. Queta the Conqueror is bigger, stronger, more durable I assume, much less expensive, plays good D, sets picks like a pro, can rebound, pass, and score. Rob was great, a joy to watch when he could get on the floor, but this season I've only played in 6 less NBA games than Rob. Yes gyso and Celtics 17, sign Queta to that full-time roster spot.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:23 pm

After watching the 2 blowout wins against quality opponents, I am a bit aggravated that the Celtics let go of the rope at GS.

Oh well, i just have to get over that loss.  The Scato and Clippers showings certainly dulls my misgivings.

As we all know, NBA seasons are dreadfully long.  At the beginning of each season we fill our hearts and minds with all sorts of prognostications.

Pleasant surprises help to feed out passions.

There are so many things that we can see coming before they arrive.  I am talking about expectations that that become somewhat indelible.

How is it even possible that Neemias Queta has turned the apple cart upside down?  I did not see that coming.  He is playing his way right into a rotation spot.  Has he played well enough to supplant  Luke Kornet as our #3 big?

Considering all the variables that go into becoming a championship team, the Celtics pretty much have most of those things in place.  The one thing missing was offensive rebounds.  The Celtics are an excellent rebounding team overall (ranked #2) but they are only ranked 15th in offensive rebounds.  Think of those as additional possessions (more FGA)

AH and KP are good but not great rebounders.  They are both modern day stretch 5's.  

When Boston traded RW they also traded away their best offensive rebounder.

The Queta Factor

Queta is the traditional low post center that appears to be our top rebounding center.   His small sample size indicates that he grabs 3.3 offensive rebounds per game.  

CJ has to decide what to do with him.  How do you get him more playing time?  For one thing, AH does not play B2B games and KP has already missed 8 games due to injuries/rest.  Those type of DNP's should provide playing opportunities for Queta.  Kornet will still be a guy that CJ will go to but if rebounding and especially on the offensive glass is needed, Queta looks to be the guy that should be playing.  Also, utilization of our 2 big lineups may give the Celtics an opportunity to use him more.

When the Celtics play fast they can blow teams off the court.   It works provided they run possession after possession.  That element has not been seen on a Celtics team since during the Cowens era.  The Celtics are ranked 8th in FB points so they have a ways to go before FB points becomes a key component of their offensive strategy.

There are some skills sets that some teams simply do have as a collective group. FB basketball is not a skill set. It is a mindset.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:29 pm

worcester wrote:Forgive me, please, for the sacrilegious thought, but I think Queta is actually better for us than Rob Williams (whom I loved) would have been had we not sent him to Portland. Queta the Conqueror is bigger, stronger, more durable I assume, much less expensive, plays good D, sets picks like a pro, can rebound, pass, and score. Rob was great, a joy to watch when he could get on the floor, but this season I've only played in 6 less NBA games than Rob. Yes gyso and Celtics 17, sign Queta to that full-time roster spot.

I’ll commit sacrilege along with you on this one.

Or maybe I’ll quickly go get ordained from one of those online religious groups and then absolve you. Not a misstatement in my view.

Agree 100%.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:45 pm

dboss,

Let's just make sure we don't let go of the rope again tomorrow afternoon. We all know those two blowouts will all be worth Jack Squat if we lose to the hapless Lakers just because LeBron thinks he's back now and snowballs us. The fact that they beat OKC last night bodes better for us coming out on top tomorrow. Had OKC won again, our chances of winning would have diminished. We have LAL just where we want them.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:06 am

dboss wrote:After watching the 2 blowout wins against quality opponents, I am a bit aggravated that the Celtics let go of the rope at GS.

Oh well, i just have to get over that loss.  The Scato and Clippers showings certainly dulls my misgivings.

As we all know, NBA seasons are dreadfully long.  At the beginning of each season we fill our hearts and minds with all sorts of prognostications.

There are so many things that we can see coming before they arrive.  I am talking about expectations that that become somewhat indelible.

How is it even possible that Neemias Queta has turned the apple cart upside down?  I did not see that coming.  He is playing his way right into a rotation spot.  Has he played well enough to supplant  Luke Kornet as our #3 big?

Considering all the variables that go into becoming a championship team, the Celtics pretty much have most of those things in place.  The one thing missing was offensive rebounds.  The Celtics are an excellent rebounding team overall (ranked #2) but they are only ranked 15th in offensive rebounds.  Think of those as additional possessions (more FGA)

AH and KP are good but not great rebounders.  They are both modern day stretch 5's.  

The Queta Factor

Queta is the traditional low post center that appears to be our top rebounding center.   His small sample size indicates that he grabs 3.3 offensive rebounds per game.  

CJ has to decide what to do with him.  How do you get him more playing time?  For one thing, AH does not play B2B games and KP has already missed 8 games due to injuries/rest.  Those type of DNP's should provide playing opportunities for Queta.  Kornet will still be a guy that CJ will go to but if rebounding and especially on the offensive glass is needed, Queta looks to be the guy that should be playing.  Also, utilization of our 2 big lineups may give the Celtics an opportunity to use him more.

When the Celtics play fast they can blow teams off the court.   It works provided they run possession after possession.  That element has not been seen on a Celtics team since during the Cowens era.  The Celtics are ranked 8th in FB points so they have a ways to go before FB points becomes a key component of their offensive strategy.

There are some skills sets that some teams simply do have as a collective group.  FB basketball is not a skill set.  It is a mindset.

Yeah I’d be lying if I told you the GS loss didn’t upset me. Was so beyond pissed, how we collapsed and blew another lead. Jaylen and Jayson blew point blank lay ups that both could have easily dunked. Later it was pointed out to me Jayson shouldn’t have been playing, that you have to give him credit for gutting it out on a bad ankle. So why give him the shot and why another challenged 3 with a defender in his face? Especially when we didn’t need a 3, a simple 2 would have won it. I don’t care what anyone says, that was bad coaching and a dumb ass play to go to, should have had Jaylen go strong to the rim on a post up or drive. Now you can go back to your regular programming.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:27 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
dboss wrote:After watching the 2 blowout wins against quality opponents, I am a bit aggravated that the Celtics let go of the rope at GS.

The Queta Factor

There are some skills sets that some teams simply do have as a collective group.  FB basketball is not a skill set.  It is a mindset.

Yeah I’d be lying if I told you the GS loss didn’t upset me. Was so beyond pissed, how we collapsed and blew another lead. Jaylen and Jayson blew point blank lay ups that both could have easily dunked. Later it was pointed out to me Jayson shouldn’t have been playing, that you have to give him credit for gutting it out on a bad ankle. So why give him the shot and why another challenged 3 with a defender in his face? Especially when we didn’t need a 3, a simple 2 would have won it. I don’t care what anyone says, that was bad coaching and a dumb ass play to go to, should have had Jaylen go strong to the rim on a post up or drive. Now you can go back to your regular programming.

Cow,

Ironically, Sacto head coach Mike Brown talked about how Joe completely outcoached him the following night in Sacramento.

Did Joe learn from the GSW fiasco, is that it?  Mike Brown has 4 (four!) Championship rings as an assistant coach (one with Pop in SAS and 3 with Steve Kerr in GSW) and is 2X NBA Coach of the Year.  He hasn't won a Championship as a head coach but he knows what Championship-level coaching is.  Tyronn Lue IS a Championship Head Coach, he won his ring as HC in 2016 when Cleveland beat GSW.  So we're not talking about inferior coaching talent here (not that any NBA head coach is "inferior", there are just levels of excellence).  In admittedly a limited number of games both Sacto and the Clips have .500 or better records against Eastern Conference teams, so their record isn't ONLY against their own conference.

I don't know the answer to this.  I've been a critic of Joe's, I admit it, but the last 3 games have confused me.  The collapse in SanFran to a team that is barely in the play-ins because they're 10th, followed by two straight destructions of teams that are 4th and 5th in the Western Conference respectively.  You don't get jet lag flying west, so that doesn't explain the loss to the Dubs.  My greatest fear about this team is, and has been for a few years now, their mental immaturity.  Does that explain the Dubs loss, and it has nothing to do with Joe?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:41 am

I did not see the GSW game, but overall this year I'd say Joe has mastered the art of coaching this team, especially on defense. As Bill Parcells said, you are your record. So is Joe.

Let me add that at this juncture in 2007, the Celts were 22-3, playing extraordinary defense, and in the process of sweeping a 4 game West Coast road trip. So now we are 22-6. Not to shabby, Coach Joe. Takes us home to the promised land from here, please. That's all I want for Christmas.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down