Post Game - Celtics vs. Washington Wizards - Sunday, March 17 (W)

+6
Celtics17
bobheckler
bobc33
steve3344
cowens/oldschool
gyso
10 posters

Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. Washington Wizards - Sunday, March 17 (W) Empty Post Game - Celtics vs. Washington Wizards - Sunday, March 17 (W)

Post by gyso Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:50 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401585608

Post Game - Celtics vs. Washington Wizards - Sunday, March 17 (W) Box_s186
Post Game - Celtics vs. Washington Wizards - Sunday, March 17 (W) Box_s187
Post Game - Celtics vs. Washington Wizards - Sunday, March 17 (W) Box_s188

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. Washington Wizards - Sunday, March 17 (W) Empty Re: Post Game - Celtics vs. Washington Wizards - Sunday, March 17 (W)

Post by gyso Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:50 pm

Post Game - Celtics vs. Washington Wizards - Sunday, March 17 (W) Game_f68

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. Washington Wizards - Sunday, March 17 (W) Empty Re: Post Game - Celtics vs. Washington Wizards - Sunday, March 17 (W)

Post by gyso Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:54 pm

Welcome to the Sam Howitzer Show!!!

Post Game - Celtics vs. Washington Wizards - Sunday, March 17 (W) Scree509

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:00 pm

Celtics-Wizards takeaways: Hauser leads C's in historic night from 3

https://sports.yahoo.com/celtics-wizards-takeaways-hauser-leads-004641177.html

Justin Leger
Sun, Mar 17, 2024, 8:46 PM EDT·5 min read

Celtics-Wizards takeaways: Hauser leads C's in historic night from 3 originally appeared on NBC Sports Boston

Three Key Storylines

Sam Hauser puts on a show
No answer for Jayson Tatum
C's make history from 3

The short-handed Boston Celtics celebrated St. Patrick's Day with a wire-to-wire win over the Washington Wizards.

Even without Jaylen Brown (right ankle sprain), Derrick White (left hand sprain), or Kristaps Porzingis (right hamstring strain), the C's asserted their dominance over the last-place team in the Eastern Conference. They erupted for a season-high 45 first-quarter points, marking the 13th time they've scored at least 30 in the opening frame in their last 14 games.

They dropped a whopping 81 first-half points and led by as many as 36 in their 130-104 victory. They have now held a 20-point lead in 12 of their last 14 games.

Sam Hauser and Jayson Tatum scored 30 points each while shooting a combined 16-for-25 from 3-point range. Payton Pritchard helped run the Celtics' efficient offense with 14 points and a career-high 13 assists off the bench for his first double-double of the season.

Jordan Poole racked up a game-high 31 points in a losing effort for Washington.

Boston (53-14) will head back home to host the Detroit Pistons (12-55) for the second night of a back-to-back on Monday. The 7:30 p.m. ET matchup will feature an all-female broadcast on NBC Sports Boston to commemorate Women's Empowerment Month.

First, here are three takeaways from Sunday's action.

Sam Hauser puts on a show

Hauser earned his eighth start of the season and made every minute count. The Celtics sharpshooter was unguardable from beyond the arc.

He tied a franchise record for 3-pointers made in a half by going 7-for-9 through the first two frames. His 21 first-half points marked a career-high, but he wasn't finished...

Hauser picked up where he left off with three quick 3-pointers to start the third quarter. He became the third player in C's history to log at least 10 3-point makes in a game, joining Jaylen Brown (10) and the franchise record-holder Marcus Smart (11).

He almost certainly would have broken or at least tied Smart's record had it not been for an injury he suffered on his 13th 3-point attempt. Hauser sprained his left ankle while stepping on a foot on the sideline and immediately exited to the locker room. He missed the remainder of the game.

According to Celtics.com's Taylor Snow, Hauser played the fewest minutes (22:49) in a game with 10 made 3s in NBA history. He finished with a career-high 30 points while notching six rebounds, an assist, and a steal.

The extent of Hauser's injury is unclear at this time. Regardless, it seems unlikely he'll suit up for the second night of a back-to-back Monday vs. the Detroit Pistons.

No answer for Jayson Tatum

Tatum was the tone-setter in Boston's blowout win. The five-time All-Star erupted for 18 points in the first quarter, the most he's scored in an opening frame this season. He capped off the quarter with a buzzer-beater from deep:

Tatum's performance to begin Sunday's game continued a trend. In his last three first quarters, he scored 15 vs. the Utah Jazz, 14 against the Phoenix Suns, and 18 on Washington.

During a road game where MVP chants rained down on him at the free-throw line, Tatum treated the crowd to 30 points in 27 minutes with six made 3s on 12 attempts. He added six rebounds, six assists, three steals, and a block in an all-around dominant outing.

With another lowly opponent in the Pistons up next, Tatum may have earned himself a night off. Considering how the C's performed Sunday without three key starters -- and Tatum for most of the second half -- it couldn't hurt to give him some rest on Monday night.

C's make history from 3

Hauser and Tatum helped the Celtics make history from 3-point range.

Boston exploded for 17 made 3s in the first half, a new franchise record. With 24 total made 3-pointers on the night, it became the second NBA team ever to make 20 or more shots from deep in three consecutive games. According to Celtics Stats on X, it's also the first team in NBA history to make at least 24 3-pointers in back-to-back games.

The Celtics' record for 3-pointers in a game remains 27, set against the New York Knicks on Nov. 5, 2022. They came just five 3s away from the all-time NBA record of 29, achieved by the Milwaukee Bucks on Dec. 29, 2020.

Joining Hauser and Tatum in the 3-point barrage were Pritchard (2-5), Svi Mykhailiuk (3-6), Al Horford (2-4), and Jrue Holiday (1-2). The C's ended up 24-of-50 from beyond the arc, and it's fair to wonder whether both the individual 3-point record (14, Klay Thompson) and team record (29) would have been broken if Hauser and Tatum played the whole game.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:11 pm

Wow Wow Wow

I know it was the lowly Wizards, but we had 3 starters out. Remember beginning of the year, everyone was questioning our depth? Well we sure seem to have loads of it right now. Last post game I was raving about the improvement in Luke, Hauser and Pritch. Now I can see why we barely played Lamar Stevens, Joe’s vision is 3 point bombardment and Hauser has developed significantly with his minutes. Culminating with tonight he set a record for 3’s, 10 in the least amount of minutes in history. He could have easily broke the record, but had to leave the game. It’s gonna be tough when all the starters are back, we won’t get to see enough of Slamming Luke, Doogie and the pitbull Pritch. I’ve really been enjoying watching those guys overachieve, Doogie has been on fire the last month, as has the paint beast Luke.

Another guy I want to highlight is Big Al, always makes the right play, still a competent defender and shooter. Can you believe this guy is 37? He looks like he’s 30 and is the perfect jack of all trades role player, giving the game whatever it needs. I think he has even a few more good years left. I heard a stat during the game, we have had a 20 point lead in 12 of the last 14 games. I always wanted us to play like this, unselfish, attacking in waves both ends, we are on such a roll, building up for playoffs in perfect synch and harmony. Oh yeah JT put up 30 and played some of the best defense I’ve ever seen him play. Yawn. We are loaded, have depth at every position. We are toying with teams right now.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:22 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Wow Wow Wow

I know it was the lowly Wizards, but we had 3 starters out. Remember beginning of the year, everyone was questioning our depth? Well we sure seem to have loads of it right now. Last post game I was raving about the improvement in Luke, Hauser and Pritch. Now I can see why we barely played Lamar Stevens, Joe’s vision is 3 point bombardment and Hauser has developed significantly with his minutes. Culminating with tonight he set a record for 3’s, 10 in the least amount of minutes in history. He could have easily broke the record, but had to leave the game. It’s gonna be tough when all the starters are back, we won’t get to see enough of Slamming Luke, Doogie and the pitbull Pritch. I’ve really been enjoying watching those guys overachieve, Doogie has been on fire the last month, as has the paint beast Luke.

Another guy I want to highlight is Big Al, always makes the right play, still a competent defender and shooter. Can you believe this guy is 37? He looks like he’s 30 and is the perfect jack of all trades role player, giving the game whatever it needs. I think he has even a few more good years left. I heard a stat during the game, we have had a 20 point lead in 12 of the last 14 games. I always wanted us to play like this, unselfish, attacking in waves both ends, we are on such a roll, building up for playoffs in perfect synch and harmony. Oh yeah JT put up 30 and played some of the best defense I’ve ever seen him play. Yawn. We are loaded, have depth at every position. We are toying with teams right now.

Not only have we had a 20 point lead in 12 of the last 13 games, but in our last 13 games (which actually includes two losses) our point differential is +20.08 having outscored opponents by 261 points in those 13 games. I doubt any team in history has had a net positive of 20 points per game over a 13 game span.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:47 pm

GYSO that avatar was a great moment and a great picture.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:06 am

steve3344 wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Wow Wow Wow

Not only have we had a 20 point lead in 12 of the last 13 games, but in our last 13 games (which actually includes two losses) our point differential is +20.08 having outscored opponents by 261 points in those 13 games. I doubt any team in history has had a net positive of 20 points per game over a 13 game span.

Jeez that is mind boggling and we have done this resting different players on this run. These stats are comparable to some of the all time teams which I think I said is mind boggling. How about indescribable? Heard another stat that recently somehow some stat said we have the best offense of all time right now. We can’t be this good…??? I really don’t know how relevant some of these stats are….??? I mean our best player can’t even hit FT’s alot of times.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:28 am

Holy sh!t

Just saw some segment on NBA TV, Let it be Known, that was the name of it. It was all about Isiah Thomas talking about our immediate recent history, covering Danny, Brad, J’s, Holiday, all our personnel’s strengths, our chemistry, our improvements. Isiah thinks we are real and the best team in basketball. We are on such a roll and all these pundits are blowing my mind saying this….Jeez I wasn’t expecting all this

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:29 am

Knock on wood…!!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:11 am

Career high 13 assists for Payton.  One turnover, and that was late.

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
about 4 hours ago
Payton Pritchard's 13 assists Sunday were not only a career-high, they were the most by a Celtic in 128 games (Smart vs. Charlotte, Nov. 28, 2022). Most in a road game since Kyrie Irving had 13 at Memphis Dec. 29, 2018. Last Celtic with more in a road game? Rajon Rondo in 2014.

Damn shame Sam stepped on a foot on the Washington bench.  He would definitely have the record.

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
about 46 minutes ago
Mazzulla said Hauser is having precautionary X-rays.

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
yesterday
Hauser wasn't in the locker room when it was opened to reporters after the game but Tatum said "he seemed to be doing fine."

I doubt anything's broken, he walked to the locker room.  Might be a sprain, not a severe one, but I can't see him walking unassisted to the locker room with a broken bone in his foot.

87 fgas, 50 3pt fgas.  Wow.  That's insane.

30 assists on 43 fgm.

I think I can safely say Jayson Tatum is out of his slump.

Sean Grande
@SeanGrandePBP
With the 26-point win in Washington Sunday night, the 2024 Celtics jumped nine spots on this list.

Post Game - Celtics vs. Washington Wizards - Sunday, March 17 (W) GI7YKuzW4AA_4ab?format=png

Post Game - Celtics vs. Washington Wizards - Sunday, March 17 (W) GI6sJRkWMAAWXdW?format=jpg

Post Game - Celtics vs. Washington Wizards - Sunday, March 17 (W) GI6sJS2WIAAO7xf?format=jpg

I DOUBT SHERMAN DOUGLAS DID THAT IN 2017 CONSIDERING HE RETIRED IN 2001 AND ONLY PLAYED FOR US FROM 1992 AND WAS TRADED TO MILWAUKEE IN 1996.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:42 am

Celtics’ Sam Hauser avoids serious injury to ankle; X-rays negative
By Adam Himmelsbach Globe Staff,Updated March 18, 2024, 52 minutes ago
Sam Hauser was one 3-pointer away from tying the single-game franchise record before he got hurt on Sunday.
Sam Hauser was one 3-pointer away from tying the single-game franchise record before he got hurt on Sunday.Patrick Smith/Getty
WASHINGTON — According to a league source, X-rays on Celtics forward Sam Hauser’s left ankle were negative and he avoided serious injury when he stepped on the foot of a Wizards player early in the third quarter of Boston’s 130-104 win over the Wizards on Sunday night.

Hauser’s status for Monday’s game against the Pistons is unclear, but he is not expected to be sidelined for an extended period.

Hauser’s injury cut short a potentially historic night for the third-year forward. He was 10 for 13 from the 3-point line when he fired up a shot from the right corner with 7 minutes, 53 left in the third quarter. He was one 3-pointer away from tying the single-game franchise record, and four away from tying the single-game NBA record of 14, set by Warriors superstar Klay Thompson.

And with three Celtics starters sidelined, Hauser was positioned for a heavy workload down the stretch Sunday.

“He had such good rhythm,” forward Al Horford said. “It was pretty cool to see.”

But after missing that 3-pointer, Hauser took a few steps and stepped on the foot of a Wizards player sitting on Washington’s bench, turning his left ankle. He fell to the ground and eventually limped to the locker room before being ruled out soon after.

Even though it did not turn into a record-breaking night for the former undrafted free agent, who finished with 30 points, the Celtics will surely be relieved that it did not turn into a damaging one as they prepare to begin their championship chase next month.

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:55 am

[quote="bobc33"]Celtics’ Sam Hauser avoids serious injury to ankle; X-rays negative
By Adam Himmelsbach Globe Staff,Updated March 18, 2024, 52 minutes ago
Sam Hauser was one 3-pointer away from tying the single-game franchise record before he got hurt on Sunday.
Sam Hauser was one 3-pointer away from tying the single-game franchise record before he got hurt on Sunday.Patrick Smith/Getty
WASHINGTON — According to a league source, X-rays on Celtics forward Sam Hauser’s left ankle were negative and he avoided serious injury when he stepped on the foot of a Wizards player early in the third quarter of Boston’s 130-104 win over the Wizards on Sunday night.

Hauser’s status for Monday’s game against the Pistons is unclear, but he is not expected to be sidelined for an extended period.

Hauser’s injury cut short a potentially historic night for the third-year forward. He was 10 for 13 from the 3-point line when he fired up a shot from the right corner with 7 minutes, 53 left in the third quarter. He was one 3-pointer away from tying the single-game franchise record, and four away from tying the single-game NBA record of 14, set by Warriors superstar Klay Thompson.

And with three Celtics starters sidelined, Hauser was positioned for a heavy workload down the stretch Sunday.

That's good news. He's an important part of this team. Obviously his shooting is just incredible, but his defense is really underrated. He moves his feet well and stays in front of his man.

I really wonder who will play tonight. Are they going to give JT a night off and bring back Jaylen? Hold back the zinger till the Bucks game on Wednesday?

It's a nice problem for Joe, but he has to keep everyone sharp but also healthy.

Last edited by Celtics17 on Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:00 pm

As the Celtics continue to demolish sub .500 teams (25-1) it confirms their growth and mental approach.  

Last year we finished the regular season 24-10 against below .500 teams.  So we have witnessed a very significant improvement  YOY.

You do not get to become a 60+ win team unless you handle your business and respect your opponents.

SH has turned into that snipper that fits perfectly inside of a high octane offense.  He is not an off the bounce scorer.  The Celtics can only maximize his shooting skills if they are willing to run action for him and be consistent about it.

There is no doubt in my mind that he must be given the opportunity to help us throughout the playoffs.

Last year's playoff did not go well for a variety of reason.  Sam was relegated to playing insignificant minutes and as a result the Celtics never used him as a weapon to open things up against all those zone defense we saw from Philly, Atlanta and Miami.  For the record he played in 15 games but only logged 6.9 MPG.

I hope CJ plays him like it is the regular season once the playoffs start.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:27 pm

To me the best stat line of the night was Pritchard's 13 assists. That's the most since Sherman Douglas came off the bench to rack up 12 back in 1995 (not 2017 as some have mis-reported and BobH pointed out earlier).

Douglas did once kick in 15 assists back in 1993, but I believe he started that night.

Add to Pritchard's night 14 points a steal and 5 rebounds, 2 of which were on the offensive end. The "Crypto Scammer" had quite a night.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:52 pm

All Hail Doogie!!!  What a great game for him.  I like his defense more than I like his sniper offense!  He's becoming a pest like Pritch!  Clearly, he's not on any of the scouting reports for his defense.  Good.  JT, Pritch and Luke Kornet "Kontest" all playing excellent ball.  

From top to bottom, our hands and bodies are always moving on defense, getting in passing lanes, smothering, etc.  This will be the key to disrupt Jokic and ending his one-year regime if it's BOS vs. DEN.  That's it.   

More in the short-term, this week we will get a front row seat Wednesday to the Jrue vs. Dame head-to-head great offense vs. great defense her near the end of the season. This battle and who wins this battle will singlehandedly determine who wins this series if it happens in the ECF.  Giannis is going to do what he does.  Still can't shoot FT's.  Our defense can contain him.  Dame vs. Jrue is the wild card.  Jrue shuts him down and this game and this potential series is over.  

Time for GSW Game 2.0 Wednesday.  That's all I'm saying.  But first things first.  Home vs. DET tonight.  Take care of business.  Wednesday will be here soon enough.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:01 pm

P* had a great game.

He is our change of pace point guard. He excels in an up-tempo game.

Teams are going to target him during the playoffs because of his size. It is going to happen. The only way to relieve some of that stress on our defense and him in particular, is to play some zone defense when he is on the floor.

As things are turning out, SH, PP and LK have important roles to play in helping this team win the title. It is up to CJ not to get squeamish about playing them.

CJ will need to figure that out because we need what PP brings to the floor.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:46 pm

Bobc33 - That's a great avatar of your own, DW the magician!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:33 pm

worcester wrote:Bobc33 - That's a great avatar of your own, DW the magician!

Simply amazing, I can’t think of another block I’ve ever seen at any level that compares.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down