JO: SHAQ TOLD ME HE'S 'OK'

4 posters

Go down

JO: SHAQ TOLD ME HE'S 'OK' Empty JO: SHAQ TOLD ME HE'S 'OK'

Post by 112288 Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:01 am

By: Mike Petraglia

According to another big man who made his first start since early November on Sunday night, Shaquille O'Neal will be fine and might even play Tuesday against the 76ers at TD Garden. Shaq strained his right calf and limped badly off the court with 11:11 remaining in the second quarter.

“He told me he's OK." said Jermaine O'Neal, who missed more than half the season himself after having his left knee scoped. "He seemed to be in good spirits when he left, and I think he may be out there on Tuesday, but we’ll see. He was laughing and joking, I think it was more of a scare for the guys on the team and the fans of the Celtics.

"But, I think getting some practice time, 'cause he hasn’t had the ability to practice, it was kind of on the fly, he hasn’t been able to test it. And today he kind of tweaked it, hopefully for us we can get him back sooner because he got out to a great start today.”

The Celtics will practice on Monday, when the team should know more about the health of Shaq, who was limited to six minutes in Sunday's 101-90 win over the Pistons at TD Garden.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

RIVERS ON SHAQ: IT'S NOT THE ACHILLES
By: Paul Flannery
Print

Celtics coach Doc Rivers said that the injury Shaquille O'Neal suffered six minutes into his comeback had nothing to do with the Achilles injury that sidelined O'Neal for the last two months. After scoring six points in five minutes, O'Neal returned to the game but pulled up limping at halfcourt and hobbled back to the locker room. The Celtics said he suffered a strained right calf and he did not return to the game.

"The update is that it’s not the same injury," Rivers said. "It has nothing to do with the Achilles. It’s not a bad strain, but it’s a strain."

Asked how long O'Neal will be out, Rivers said he wasn't sure. "I don’t know, is the answer," Rivers said. "I don’t think very long honestly. That’s what [team doctor Brian] McKeon and them thought, that it’s very minor. Scary, more than anything. We’ll see."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Shaq's strained right calf considered 'minor'
April 3, 2011 06:52 PM
By Gary Washburn, Globe Staff

Celtics coach Doc Rivers said the right calf strain suffered by Shaquille O'Neal early in the second quarter was "minor" and he is not expected to miss extensive time. But there is no word on when he will return. O'Neal left TD Garden walking with a slight limp and it appears the injury looked worse that doctors discovered it was.

O'Neal missed 27 games with foot and Achilles' tendon injuries and was making his first appearance since Feb. 1.

"The update is that it’s not the same injury," Rivers said. "Had nothing to do with the Achilles; it’s a calf strain. It’s not a bad strain, but it’s a strain. So similar to the one Von (Wafer) had but not even close to the severity. Well, ‘I don’t know (when he will be back)’ is the answer. I don’t think very long, honestly. That’s what (Dr.) McKeon and them thought, that it’s very minor. Scary, more than anything. And you know I’m sure with the calf that he probably thought Achilles right away. But we’ll see."

Kevin Garnett missed nine games with a strained right calf while Wafer missed 13 games with the same injury.

O'Neal was running the floor on a fastbreak after Jeff Green blocked Jason Maxiell's shot and pulled up lame near midcourt, motioning to the bench to call a timeout. O'Neal then lumbered towards the tunnel, writhing in pain and couldn't make it to the Celtics locker room. He rejected the offer for a wheelchair and finally limped to the trainer's room to be examined.

The Celtics practice Monday in Waltham before facing the Philadelphia 76ers on Tuesday. Center Nenad Krstic, who sustained a bone bruise in his right knee Thursday against San Antonio, could return to action for that game.

Back to top Go down

JO: SHAQ TOLD ME HE'S 'OK' Empty Re: JO: SHAQ TOLD ME HE'S 'OK'

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:38 am

Good news. Shaq showed in those few minutes on the court why the team needs him. He totally changes the flow of the game and asserts the Celtics inside game. Hope he can get back for the playoffs.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:41 am

Right he makes life so much easier for KG and all those around him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:55 am

For 6 minutes he had to be accounted for inside. Made some nice hoops and it left the outside wide open as sometimes as many as 3 pistons were draped all over him.

Even 10-15 minutes could be huge for us.

Just a relief cause many if not all of us though it had to be the achilles thing. I remember when Dan Marino tore his, basically just turned away from delivering a pass and avoided the contact and it went.

Not trying to be a Doc but if he hadn't done much recently I just wonder if the calf had been stretched out enough? And as outside mentioned the achilles is right there with this muscle too.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:09 am

beat wrote:Not trying to be a Doc but if he hadn't done much recently I just wonder if the calf had been stretched out enough? And as outside mentioned the achilles is right there with this muscle too.

beat

If after 30+ years of playing basketball - you dont know enough to stretch before the game, dont know what to tell you. I doubt that had anything to do with it.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down