RosalieTCeltics
mrkleen09
beat
bobc33
Sam
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Satch's Enshrinement and a Board Party Empty Satch's Enshrinement and a Board Party

Post by Sam Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:43 am

I know there's another thread about Tom Sanders' selection to the Hall of Fame, but I'm sick of his playing second (actually fifth) fiddle.  So, with this thread, I hope to get Dennis Rodman's frock out of here and focus only on Satch.

Satch's enshinement will now mean that one Celtics squad (1962-63) included nine future hall-of-fame players plus a future hall-of-fame coach.  No team other than the Celtics will ever come close to that accomplishment.

I've never been to the Basketball Hall of Fame, and I'm intending to be at the ceremony.  I'm currently investigating what is required to do so, and I'll report it here when I obtain the information.  I know the ceremony will be on Friday, August 12, presumably in the evening at the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts.

I'm wondering whether anyone would want to make the ceremony a reason to hold a mini-party for the board.  We can attend the ceremony together, stay overnight, and get together the next day (Saturday).  Even those who can't get there by Friday night could join us on Saturday.

Without all the pertinent information, I wouldn't try to get "definites" for a party, but I'm wondering who might conceivably be interested.  If you have an interest, please let me know on this thread.  I'll post the relevant info when I receive it, and we can begin making plans in earnest.

Thanks, and congratulations to Satch.

Sam

P.S. There's a good article by Bob Ryan about Satch in Today's Boston Globe.  It includes an especially good vignette about his knee pads that I hadn't read before.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2011/04/05/hall_election_of_ex_celtic_sanders_a_nod_to_the_working_man/

Last edited by sam on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Satch's Enshrinement and a Board Party Empty Re: Satch's Enshrinement and a Board Party

Post by bobc33 Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:15 am

Road trip? Board party?

I'm in for a fact, definitely, you can count on me, I put it in the planner in ink, no way I'll miss this one, the event of the year, a can't miss weekend.

I was supposed to spend that weekend in the south of France with Gina Lollobrigida and Raquel Welch, but sorry girls I'm hanging with the Sam's Celtics Forum.

Count me in Sam.

Back to top Go down

Satch's Enshrinement and a Board Party Empty Re: Satch's Enshrinement and a Board Party

Post by Sam Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:49 am

Bob,

Good choice.

Have you seen Gina and Raquel lately? They are almost as old as the South of France.

Heck, you can just roll out of bed and be at the HOF in 20 minutes! I already had you down as a "definite," but thanks for confirming it.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:50 am

Well hopefully the schedules will allow!

We shall see as we get a bit closer but it is a great idea and I'm sure the autograph hound Marcus would be thrilled!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:29 pm

I would love to go - but it is a bit too far out for me to plan at the moment. Lets keep this as a sticky and see what we can come up with in terms of accommodations - tickets to the enshrinement etc.

Thanks Sam.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:19 pm

sam wrote:Bob,

Good choice.

Have you seen Gina and Raquel lately? They are almost as old as the South of France.

Heck, you can just roll out of bed and be at the HOF in 20 minutes! I already had you down as a "definite," but thanks for confirming it.

Sam

Sam,

There is something to be said for experience, similar to the current day Celtics.

45 minutes to the HOF for me, but that is a quick ride for me compared to many of our events. If we have anyone coming from far out of town I have an extra bedroom and can put someone up for the night. (Though as Beat and Marcus can testify it may cost a finger or two extracted by my two mellow pups.

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:52 pm

Bob

I guess then my line (below from above)was not the best choice of words............

I'm sure the autograph hound Marcus would be thrilled!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:00 pm

I've been to the Hall of Fame several times, as recent as two years ago on my way home from Niagara Falls. The new one is quite a building. Let me know what is going on, My husband is retiring this summer and we will be "together" for the summer as I work for the school dept and am off for the summer. We would probably love to take a trip out there.

Keep me informed.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:04 pm

Well, I'm afraid we can forget attending the enshrinement. I never knew that the admission price is $1,000. (Yup, I did not add a zero in error.) There are dinners before the enshrinement (at the HOF) and the day after the enshrinement (at Mohegan Sun), each of which costs $350.

The enshrinement will be shown on NBA-TV. Maybe we could get together at any bar which gets NBA-TV and watch together.

Pretty deflating!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:28 pm

Just a tad out of MY price range!
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:37 pm

me too!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:44 pm

Holy smoke...........................

Sam, I went back in 2002 to see Larry introduce Magic, and it wasn't $1,000, heck it wasn't $100 not even close to that. But perhaps the reason for that was it wasn't held at the HOF, but a couple of blocks away at the Springfield Arena (not sure of the name) because of the huge interest with Larry introducing Magic. There were many thousands of us in attendance.

I'd still be up for getting together somewhere for an informal (read not a lot of organizing for someone) soiree to celebrate the induction of Satch.

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:53 am

sam wrote:Well, I'm afraid we can forget attending the enshrinement. I never knew that the admission price is $1,000. (Yup, I did not add a zero in error.) There are dinners before the enshrinement (at the HOF) and the day after the enshrinement (at Mohegan Sun), each of which costs $350.

The enshrinement will be shown on NBA-TV. Maybe we could get together at any bar which gets NBA-TV and watch together.

Pretty deflating!

Sam

Sam, for that kind of event $1,000 is not surprising. To me anyway. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in N.Y. is $2,000 for the cheap seats, up to tables for $100,000 down front. And everyone other than the musicians getting inducted and their immediate (and I stress immediate) families have to pay. Press included. You want media credentials and want to cover it? Pay up. And they do. And that includes all media. The publications and outlets of course cover the cost for their reporters.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:48 am

Sam

You might want to check out going to the Springfield Arena that bobc was refering to, alot cheaper. I was there for Birds induction, place was so friggin LOUD, Wilt Chamberlain walked right by me. This is a much cheaper event, get to see all the inductees get introduced and give a speech. Birds induction was amazing, everytime he tried to speak the crowd would go beserk and get LOUDER and LOUDER, all you heard was LAREEYY, LAREEYY, the crowd kept on getting louder and wouldn't let Bird speak.......finally when he did first thing he said was "Put your weapons down, the war is over!!" great time for any Celtic fan.

Alex Hannum also went in the Hall that night, was introduced by Wilt the Stilt himself, interesting trivia, the only two teams that didn't win the title in the Russell era, the opponents were both coached by Alex Hannum. He must have been a great coach.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:01 am

Bob and Cow,

What you say about the Springfield Arena sounds interesting. Can you tell me more about how it works? How can the event be at two places simultaneously, unless there's a huge tv screen or something. But then, how could Wilt walk by if he was also at the HOF?

I'm sure there's something I'm missing because it sounds like a great "take." Please enlighten us.

Thanks,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:09 pm

Sam,

I thought the year I went was a one time thing at the Arena, but guess not as Cow did the same another year. I just googled it but couldn't find anything but what you mentioned previously.

Let's hope there are two separate events each year and the Arena event is announced later. I'll keep my ears open. It would be nice to see all that HOF history with fellow board members. You can do the "Havlicek stole the ball" as karaoke which is a blast, plus seeing Bob Lanier's size 22 sneakers makes one pause, and they have a full court with 100s of basketballs so we could have a game of horse to see who is king of Sam's Forum. (My money is on Marcus)

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:50 pm

Bob

He has shot for a while there too!

Think it would be a blast.

beat

PS Marcus's first baseball game this eve. Lost 9-2, played first most of the game and pitched final 2 innings. Got 1 hit batting as fo pitching 0 runs 1 hit 1 walk 1 strike out. Just tooooooo damn cold!

Last edited by beat on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:38 pm

Bob,

Thanks for being our watchdog on the HOF.

Beat,

Sounds like a decent start for Marcus. I know that bitter cold can make the ball feel like it's made of iron when it hits either bat or glove. I'm sure you both enjoyed reaching the warmth of home.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:38 pm

It sounds like a great idea.

Might be a tough one for me to make though. We start football practice that week and I'm unsure of the schedule at this point.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:55 pm

Sam

I don't know what event your talking about, but the HoF induction ceremony is at the Arena in Springfield every year, on Wilt I didn't think we had the best seats, I had the aisle seat and we were fairly high up. Well we saw Wilt walking and walking, then he turned up our aisle walking up right by us to get interviewed by some announcer in a booth, can't remember his name. I remember he was wearing a black suit and he was sweating and kept wiping his face with a hankerchef.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:24 am

Couple of phots of Marcus's baseball game last eve about 33-34 degress out by the time we got done. Getting any grip or feel on the ball was impossible

Satch's Enshrinement and a Board Party 2011_b11

Satch's Enshrinement and a Board Party 2011_b12

Satch's Enshrinement and a Board Party 2011_b13

And we will be heading out shortly to catch the train this morn for BOSTON.
The family needs to get away for a couple days. Spent over 2 hours with an attorney yesterday dealing with my mother and and step dads situation and my mind is spinnin with legalize...........

Watchin OUR team tomorrow and once back I'll post a bunch of photos and of course let you all know the details.

Long train ride 9-10 hours BUT it looks like qa sunny day to travel!

So long for a couple!

beat & family!

Satch's Enshrinement and a Board Party 2011_b14
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:04 pm

Cow,

Given your experience with the event, is there any chance you could look into tickets for this year's affair?

Thanks,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:06 pm

go beat! go marcus!
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:49 pm

Sam

I just looked up the event on the internet, saw a HoF page, the number it says to call is 413 231 5550, the voicemail said tickets haven't gone on sale yet, to leave your name and number. I left both saying I was interested in the induction at the arena, will let you know when/if they get back to me.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:00 pm

Thanks, Cow. You're our HOF maven. What a great board this is!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next