Is Kendrick Perkins Fitting In?

5 posters

Go down

Is Kendrick Perkins Fitting In? Empty Is Kendrick Perkins Fitting In?

Post by 112288 Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:58 am

By: Susan Bible Last Updated: 4/9/11 4:31 PM ET |

Picture, if you will, a scene in each of the two Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Denver Nuggets match-ups this past week: the Thunder's 6'10 center Kendrick Perkins jawing nose-to-nose with the Nugget's 6'11 center Nene. Now, get used to seeing it. The Thunder finally has their enforcer in the middle, and he will not be intimidated anyone. Perkins adds a new authentic layer of swagger not previously seen on this franchise's roster.

Reservations about Perkins' known intensity clashing with the good-guy Thunder team have been laid to rest. Two-time All-Star teammate, Kevin Durant, answered in the affirmative when HOOPSWORLD asked if it was safe to say Perkins officially fits in with this team.

"He adds another dimension; adds toughness in the paint, on the defensive end," Durant told us. "He can finish around the rim. He can throw it down some, too. He's helping us out a lot."

"He's helping young guys like myself, Serge (Ibaka), Byron (Mullens)," he added. "He's been like a leader to us."

Durant hit the nail on the head. This team was sorely in need of a new kind of leader on the floor…a leader to guide them through the unknown territory of winning playoff basketball.

Perkins, just 26 years old, comes to this team with years of deep playoff experience and a championship ring from his role as a defensive anchor with the Boston Celtics. The unexpected trade hit Perkins hard. Losing Jeff Green, Nenad Krstic and D.J. White hit the Thunder hard as well.

"It's always tough to bring a (new) guy in the middle of the season, because that changes the dynamics of your team," said Thunder coach Scott Brooks. "I understand as a coach about bringing guys in; it's an emotional time for both. You get rid of guys that you've kinda developed and have a relationship (with), but you're bringing in new guys, and you have to build a relationship.

"It's not easy, but it's part of the job that you have to deal with and integrate your players as quickly as possible with no excuses being accepted."

Fortunately, Brooks hasn't had to endure any excuses.

Since Perkins took the floor in a Thunder uniform on March 14th, the team has gone 11-4. They just won the Northwest Division title and have ensured home court advantage in the first round of the playoffs. Their record is 53-26 with just three games remaining.

"I guess I'm accepted in," Perkins shared with HOOPSWORLD. "It's hard being one of the new guys. You come in and you want to do right. You want to do well by people, so you try to do everything in your power to do the right thing, and hope that people and the guys accept you."

One thing is for sure, the front office has supreme confidence in Kendrick Perkins. That was evident when they signed him to a four-year contract extension before he had even stepped foot on their floor.

"I'm just going to keep trying to be a great teammate," Perkins said. "Keep going out there and win, and the rest will take care of itself."

Brooks believes Perkins was able to fit in more quickly than the average mid-season traded player because of the unique type of person he is, i.e. he's a proven winner who cares about the concept of team first, not individual accolades.

"He's about winning, and he makes winning basketball plays. He's not about scoring. He's going to be able to get his points. He's about defending, rebounding, communicating with the guys. He's about setting picks (and) making the extra pass, so it's been an easier transition maybe than other trades in the middle of the season," explained Brooks.

"I was traded like three or four times, and it was like bringing in like two points and four minutes, so no coach had a tough time blending in," said Brooks in typically refreshing humorous form.

On the Oklahoma City stat sheet, Perkins has posted an average 5.5 points, 8.6 rebounds and 1.0 block. Yet as Brooks mentioned, Perkins adds so much more than numbers. One key element that hasn't received quite as much attention is how Perkins' presence has allowed fellow 6'10" Ibaka to explore new heights of play in his natural position of power forward.

Denver Nuggets coach George Karl has noticed.

"I think it's a damn good pick-up," Karl told us. "(What) makes it really good is because of Ibaka. I mean, Ibaka's coming (up in ranks) at the same moment as you bring in a stud. You bring in a guy who can play 35-40 minutes on any big-time playoff game."

"He (Perkins) gives them a defensive presence that they didn't have," Karl continued. "I think the combination of Ibaka moving in a good direction and him coming in....that's a strong play. Defensively, it's a strong play."

Prior to Perkins coming on board, Ibaka averaged 9.0 points, 8.2 rebounds and 2.2 blocks in 65 games. And remember, Ibaka was leaned on heavily during the nine post-trade games before Perkins was healthy.

Now check out Ibaka's stat line in the 14 games with Perkins: 11.6 ppg, 8.6 rpg and 3.1 bpg. Ibaka appears to be flourishing in this new-look defensive unit.

Karl expounded on the hot-topic issue of "Center vs. No Center" in response to the fit of Perkins with the Thunder.

"You have to understand there are a lot of teams in the Western Conference that don't need a center," began Karl. "It will be interesting how they (the Thunder) adapt to not having Jeff Green. Jeff Green was pretty good, too. And that small line-up against certain teams like San Antonio, against Houston, a little bit against Dallas, you don't need big guys. Against us, yeah, you might need a guy against Nene. Against the Lakers? No question. Against Portland? No question. But do you need a big guy now against New Orleans? I'm not sure you do."

Back to those Nene-Perkins skirmishes. They never got out of control, but it certainly gives a new flavor to the Thunder. Perkins' does not aim to initiate confrontation, but he certainly will not back down from it.

"It happens. I'm not going out there trying to start nothing but at the same time, things happen. Guys get tangled up in the paint, so it's just what it is."

Brooks shared exactly what he was thinking during the first dust-up in Denver: "Just don't fight each other. Just don't fight, because I don't want to be the coach out there breaking it up.

"I would be the one that would get hurt," he said smiling.

"Perk has that mentality that he doesn't like other teams," Brooks said. "He's a throwback, and we like that. We like the fact that he does not like 425 other NBA players."

Durant said he was little excited with the emotional and physical play between the two centers, because "it shows playoff basketball is right around the corner."

The fact the Thunder's 2009-10 postseason was cut short in the first round vs. the Los Angeles Lakers thanks to a Pau Gasol tip on a Kobe Bryant missed jumper is fresh on this team's mind.

With Perkins now fiercely patrolling the paint and Ibaka free to block shots and use his insane athleticism in all sorts of ways, the Thunder are more prepared for the playoffs than last year. Let the battle in post begin.

Back to top Go down

Is Kendrick Perkins Fitting In? Empty Re: Is Kendrick Perkins Fitting In?

Post by Matty Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Perk will be one of my favorite NBA players untill he retires or unless he ever plkays for the Lakers. I'd be more than happy to see perk back in the Finals again this season and for many more yet to come, especialy provided The Celtics are there regardless and collecting rings..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:07 am

Matty wrote:Perk will be one of my favorite NBA players untill he retires or unless he ever plkays for the Lakers. I'd be more than happy to see perk back in the Finals again this season and for many more yet to come, especialy provided The Celtics are there regardless and collecting rings..

I love the guy as much as I loved Cowens and Silas......now I have another team to root for as I have been following them and love watching Thunder. They all embody the spirit of William Wallace.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:07 pm

This isn't about Perk, but it is about "fitting in":

An article quoting Jeff Green about adapting to Boston's defensive philosophy vs what he and Krstic had in OKC. Things take time to cook. If we are able to be ready by the playoffs, we'll be formidable. Bringing in two major pieces mid-season, was a tough swallow all at once.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/212985/Jeff_Green_Adjusting_To_Bostons_Defensive_Philosophy
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:22 pm

If the Glove would have fit like Perk is fitting in with OKC, Johnny Cochran NEVER would have been able to get OJ equitted

MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:37 pm

bob

I love the way Jeff Green played last night, aggressively looking for his shot. Was watching Heat - Hawks replay today and was keying on the Marvin Williams - Lebron match up. Thought of dudder, Williams played hard and has improved from first couple of seasons, but is still so limited as hes got no game compared to Green. Green is so much faster, so much more fluid, can get his shot off so much easier, and has a much faster more polished post game. The development period is over for Marvin, as this is all he'll be, a serviceable rotation player with an inconsistant jumper.

Green reminds me a little of Clyde the Glide the way he effortlessly moves all over the floor. He has to work on all phases of his game, but the talent and athleticism is all there. If I was him I would work on ballhandling drills/skills as much as possible as with this skill developed further he will be able to get to anywhere on floor with the ball. Hes a natural 3, so for years playing the 4 at Thunder he may not have worked non stop on dribbling, but he has unlimited potential and can already do everything Danny Granger does with better running skills and post up.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down