+3
Outside
jeb
NYCelt
7 posters

Go down

And the winner is...Cleveland Empty And the winner is...Cleveland

Post by NYCelt Tue May 17, 2011 10:45 pm

The Cleveland Cavaliers won the NBA draft lottery Tuesday night and will pick No. 1 overall on June 23.

2011 NBA Draft Lottery Results

Team 2010-11 win pct.
1. Cleveland (from L.A. Clippers) .232
2. Minnesota .207
3. Utah (from New Jersey) .476
4. Cleveland .232
5. Toronto .268
6. Washington .280
7. Sacramento .293
8. Detroit .366
9. Charlotte .415
10. Milwaukee .427
11. Golden State .439
12. Utah .476
13. Phoenix .488
14. Houston .524
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

And the winner is...Cleveland Empty Re: And the winner is...Cleveland

Post by jeb Wed May 18, 2011 6:00 am

Was glad to see that. They are due and maybe can get some classy young players in there to replace ol scratch.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed May 18, 2011 11:35 am

I don't go out of my way to watch the lottery, but I happened to see it this time.

Minnesota (the team with the worst record) is probably fine with the second pick, considering that they drafted two point guards (Rubio and Flynn) in the first round two years ago and wouldn't want Kyrie Irving. Though if they had gotten the first pick, they might've picked up something valuable by trading it away. They still might trade the second pick.

It does seem like a nice break for Cleveland to get two of the top four picks. The people of Cleveland could certainly use a ray of sunshine. I don't think Dan Gilbert acquitted himself particularly well in the whole LeBron fiasco, but seeing his son Nick representing the team humanized the father. Here's a blurb from a Cleveland sports website (http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2011/05/dan-gilberts-son-to-represent-cavs-at-upcoming-lottery/).

Nick Gilbert’s representation will be two-fold as he will be there in support of his father’s team, but will also be serving as the Ambassador for Children’s Tumor Foundation (CTF). Born with Neurofibromatosis (NF) – a disease suffered by 1 in every 3,000 children which allows tumors to merely grow anywhere at any time – Nick has endured brain surgery, chemothereapy, and has lost vision in one of his eyes. As luck would have it, May 17th is also World NF Awareness Day.

All in all, a good day for the Cavs. Let's hope they use their picks well.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed May 18, 2011 12:03 pm

Yes it was good fortune for the CAVS to get 2 of the top 4 lottery picks. However both combined will not replace what James walked away from their table with last Summer. This further dehumanizes Lebron for his actions. Imagine how that broke young Nick Gilbert's heart when he (James) deceided to "take his talents to South Beach." Greasy slime ball Riley used shifty smarmy Wade to orchestrate the whole sordid mess. regardless of TV playoff ratings, the NBA is on a downward spiral!

MD

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed May 18, 2011 12:10 pm

Outside wrote:I don't go out of my way to watch the lottery, but I happened to see it this time.

Minnesota (the team with the worst record) is probably fine with the second pick, considering that they drafted two point guards (Rubio and Flynn) in the first round two years ago and wouldn't want Kyrie Irving. Though if they had gotten the first pick, they might've picked up something valuable by trading it away. They still might trade the second pick.

It does seem like a nice break for Cleveland to get two of the top four picks. The people of Cleveland could certainly use a ray of sunshine. I don't think Dan Gilbert acquitted himself particularly well in the whole LeBron fiasco, but seeing his son Nick representing the team humanized the father. Here's a blurb from a Cleveland sports website (http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2011/05/dan-gilberts-son-to-represent-cavs-at-upcoming-lottery/).

Nick Gilbert’s representation will be two-fold as he will be there in support of his father’s team, but will also be serving as the Ambassador for Children’s Tumor Foundation (CTF). Born with Neurofibromatosis (NF) – a disease suffered by 1 in every 3,000 children which allows tumors to merely grow anywhere at any time – Nick has endured brain surgery, chemothereapy, and has lost vision in one of his eyes. As luck would have it, May 17th is also World NF Awareness Day.

Outside

Outside,

I don't think at all that Minnesota is happy with the 2nd pick. Today, Minnesota Timberwolves President David Kahn insinuated that the lottery is rigged.
http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/29391755

I see two things coming of Kahn's accusation:
1) A clarification later today
2) A 6 figure fine from the league

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed May 18, 2011 12:20 pm

TJ,

I'm sure Minnesota would've preferred the first pick, but David Kahn has made numerous questionable decisions and ill-advised statements during his tenure as GM for the Timberwolves. This sounds like yet another ill-advised statement.

After all, the whole point of the lottery is to NOT guarantee that the team with the worst record gets the top pick. They had the best shot at the top pick, but most years, the team with the worst record does not get the top pick.

Here's what Kahn said.

"This league has a habit, and I am just going to say habit, of producing some pretty incredible story lines," Kahn said. "Last year it was Abe Pollin's widow and this year it was a 14-year-old boy and the only thing we have in common is we have both been bar mitzvahed. We were done. I told Kevin: 'We're toast.' This is not happening for us and I was right."

As Yahoo said on Ball Don't Lie, "Yeah, widows and sick kids get all the luck."

Saying it's rigged is just ignorant, and I'm sure it will cost him a good chunk of money.

Outside

Last edited by Outside on Wed May 18, 2011 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed May 18, 2011 12:20 pm

MDCelticsFan wrote:Yes it was good fortune for the CAVS to get 2 of the top 4 lottery picks. However both combined will not replace what James walked away from their table with last Summer. This further dehumanizes Lebron for his actions. Imagine how that broke young Nick Gilbert's heart when he (James) deceided to "take his talents to South Beach." Greasy slime ball Riley used shifty smarmy Wade to orchestrate the whole sordid mess. regardless of TV playoff ratings, the NBA is on a downward spiral!

MD

MD,

I am not going to comment on LeBron's actions last summer, but you are way off base in your comment about the NBA being in a downward spiral.
The NBA product is on an upward movement.
The NBA is the only one of the 4 sports that have increases in their TV ratings and attendance.

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NBA says its three national TV partners all had their most viewers ever this season, topped by a 42 percent increase for TNT.

ABC was up 38 percent and ESPN had a 28 percent jump, the league says Friday.

Turner Sports also says its 1.6 rating was its highest in 27 years of NBA coverage and that it televised three of the five most-watched NBA regular-season games ever on cable this season.

Despite fears of a labor stoppage after the season, the NBA reported success across many platforms. Arena capacity was 90.3 percent, its seventh straight year of 90 or better, and the 17,306 average was up 1 percent from last year and was its fifth highest.

Merchandise sales jumped more than 20 percent and NBA.com saw an increase of more than 140 percent in video views.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/04/15/nba-ratings.ap/index.html
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed May 18, 2011 12:28 pm

Outside,

I think this will be the straw that breaks the camels back.
I would think that Kahn will be fired over this.
His reign as GM/President has been horrendous.
Now add in that he is questioning the integrity of the sport that employs him...
He should be fired today.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed May 18, 2011 12:51 pm

tjmakz wrote:Outside,

I think this will be the straw that breaks the camels back.
I would think that Kahn will be fired over this.
His reign as GM/President has been horrendous.
Now add in that he is questioning the integrity of the sport that employs him...
He should be fired today.

TJ,

I think you're right on all points.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed May 18, 2011 1:08 pm

We know the lottery can be rigged. Dave Debusschere didn't look too surprised in 1985 when he got the ticket to Patrick Ewing. The WNBA even rigged its' lottery three years ago so Candace Parker could be selected by the LA Sparks. This smacks of Stern's stripped shirt reign.

MD

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed May 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Outside,

What is real funny about Minnesota's 2009 draft picks is that they drafted 3 pg's in the first round. Rubio at #5, Flynn at #6 and Lawson at #18. They then traded Lawson for a 2010 1st round pick. None of these guys are combo guards. They are all true pg's. Very odd...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed May 18, 2011 2:05 pm

MDCelticsFan wrote:We know the lottery can be rigged. Dave Debusschere didn't look too surprised in 1985 when he got the ticket to Patrick Ewing. The WNBA even rigged its' lottery three years ago so Candace Parker could be selected by the LA Sparks. This smacks of Stern's stripped shirt reign.
Sorry, I don't subscribe to your conspiracy theory. We don't "know" that the lottery can be rigged, it's your opinion that it can be rigged.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed May 18, 2011 2:06 pm

What I find too bad is that all this other stuff is taking away from what should be something of a feel-good story for Cleveland.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed May 18, 2011 2:37 pm

I am super happy for Cleveland getting picks #1 and 4.

"The lottery is rigged" comments are beyond nonsense.
Anyone who claims this should be prepared to back their opinion.

If you look at the draft history, there are low odds teams getting the #1 pick and there are #1 picks that are busts or turn out to be worse then players drafted below them.
Is it supposedly rigged to only help the large market teams?

The Knicks were a doormat for more then a decade.
In the 2008 draft the Knicks had a more then 4x the odds of getting the #1 pick then Chicago but Chicago won the #1 pick and drafted Rose. The Knicks drafted Galinari with the 6th pick. That sounds like some no good doings by the commissioner...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by celtic fan Wed May 18, 2011 2:54 pm

There seems to be a lot of reaction to Khan's comments. I never heard him say it and of course how he said it is important and according to this T-Wolves reporter, it was in jest.

■Kent Youngblood, Minneapolis Star Tribune: When Tuesday’s NBA draft lottery was about to hit the home stretch, the reps from the three teams still alive — Minnesota, Utah and Cleveland — were asked to step onto the stage of the NBA’s studio in Secaucus, N.J. The Wolves president of basketball operations knew then he had no chance. David Kahn was standing there with Utah General Manager Kevin O’Connor and 14-year-old Nick Gilbert — the son of Cleveland Cavs owner Dan Gilbert and a young man battling a rare nerve disorder. “I did tell [O'Connor] … as soon as the 14-year-old kid joined us, we were toast,” Kahn said. “There was no way the 14-year-old was about to be denied in a league that has a habit of compelling story lines.” He was joking, folks. Kahn was not suggesting that Cleveland’s getting the top pick right after losing LeBron James — and with a first-round choice acquired in a trade with the Clippers! — was anything other than lottery luck. Cleveland was the big winner, ending up with the first and fourth picks. Utah also jumped up into the lottery, finishing third. By finishing second, the Wolves might have been toast, but they didn’t get burned, either. It’s the team’s highest finish in 14 trips to this lottery. Kahn has the second pick in what is generally considered a two-player draft, with Duke guard Kyrie Irving and Arizona forward Derrick Williams considered the top two.

celtic fan

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed May 18, 2011 3:18 pm

The envelope Debusscherre was to pick when it was his turn had a corner folded on it to tip him as to what envelope the number one selection was going to be in.

MD

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed May 18, 2011 3:19 pm

MDCelticsFan wrote:We know the lottery can be rigged. Dave Debusschere didn't look too surprised in 1985 when he got the ticket to Patrick Ewing. The WNBA even rigged its' lottery three years ago so Candace Parker could be selected by the LA Sparks. This smacks of Stern's stripped shirt reign.

MD

The LA Sparks had the worst record in the WNBA in 2007.
They had the highest odds of getting the 2008 #1 pick.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed May 18, 2011 3:20 pm

MDCelticsFan wrote:The envelope Debusscherre was to pick when it was his turn had a corner folded on it to tip him as to what envelope the number one selection was going to be in.

MD

How was last nights lottery rigged?
Do you think they even turned on the ping pong machine?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed May 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Cleveland could hit the trifecta if Chicago eliminates the Heat. I wish we could have given them that gift, but we did our best.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down