beat
Sam
sinus007
cowens/oldschool
NYCelt
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

AND THE CELTICS PICK................. Empty AND THE CELTICS PICK.................

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:06 pm

Celtics take Providence's Brooks, may trade him

By Gary Washburn,Globe Staff

The Celtics selected MarShon Brooks of Providence with the 25th overall pick but they are expected to trade that pick to the New Jersey Nets for the 27th pick, according to an NBA source. Brooks was a prolific scorer for the Friars but the Celtics feel as if they can get their targeted player two picks later and pick up a future draft pick in the process. The Celtics also have the 55th pick.

The Boston Celtics drafted Providence's MarShon Brooks at No. 25, but ESPN.com's Chad Ford reports the team picked him for the New Jersey Nets after a deal that saw Boston move down to pick No. 27.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
After swap with N.J., C's land Johnson

By Chris Forsberg

Greg Bartram/US Presswire
Purdue's JaJuan Johnson is the Celtics' first-round selection.
BOSTON -- The Boston Celtics worked a draft-day trade, netting a future second-round pick from New Jersey before landing Purdue power forward JaJuan Johnson with the Net's No. 27 pick overall.

Boston drafted Providence's MarShon Brooks with its original No. 25 pick, but already had a deal in place with New Jersey. The Celtics, evidently not overwhelmed by what was available at that spot, gained a future pick in addition to a big man they coveted.

The Celtics worked out Johnson before the draft and must have liked what they saw from the 6-foot-10 power forward who averaged 20.5 points, 8.6 rebounds, and 2.3 blocks per game as a senior. Johnson is pegged as a long, athletic big man with explosive leaping ability. He runs the floor well and adds a solid mid-range jumper.

Johnson declared for the 2010 draft before electing to return to Purdue for his senior season. With the Boilermakers, he averaged 20.5 points, 8.6 rebounds, and 2.3 blocks per game as a senior. Projected as a potential Celtics target in Chad Ford's Mock Draft, Version 4.0 released Wednesday, let's examine Johnson more.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Greg Bartram/US Presswire
Purdue's JaJuan Johnson shoots over Ohio State's Jared Sullinger.
Projection: First-round bubble

Positives: Long, athletic big man... Good shot-blocker... Explosive leaper... Quick, runs the floor well... Nice mid range jumper

Negative: Needs to add strength to his frame... Still developing a low post game... Basketball IQ seems to be an issue

Ford's analysis: Johnson also helped himself [at the draft combine in Chicago][. His great vertical (38 inches), solid strength testing (15 reps on bench press) and his shooting numbers are all very impressive. Factor in his excellent measurements and a very solid four-year career at Purdue and I'm not sure why teams aren't higher on him.

In the news: From the Indianapolis Star (May 27): "JaJuan Johnson got a chance to work out for his hometown team Thursday, knowing that NBA decision-makers are still forming their opinions of him. Johnson was one of six players to work out for the Indiana Pacers as they start the process of evaluating candidates for the June 23 draft. The Pacers pick 15th in the first round, and also draft 42nd. "A lot of things are undetermined right now," Johnson said. "Pretty much, I don't know where I'm going to be at the end of the month. That's the biggest thing, playing the waiting game."

Forsberg's take: We all know the Celtics love a big man that can stretch the floor, but the most intriguing part of Johnson's game might be the fact that he loves to run the floor and is an explosive leaper. Imagine Rajon Rondo in transition with a lineup that had the likes of Jeff Green and Johnson beside him (needless to say, few would be harping on Boston's "advanced" age). With Boston potentially in the market for a backup 4 depending on their ability/desire to retain Glen Davis, it's safe to say Johnson is the type of player that would interest them at No. 25.

Back to top Go down

AND THE CELTICS PICK................. Empty Marshon Brooks

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Ummm...OK.

The last time I was this baffled by our first round pick we ended up with Ray Allen and a championship.

Marshon Brooks. Plays no D, reportedly disliked by many teammates. A prolific shooting guard.

Jordan Hamilton and Justin Harper, two forwards we could have used right away were available and we passed on them. Tyler Honeycut, a G/SF who might have been able to eventually replace Pierce or Allen was there and we passed.

Since we can in no way know what Danny is up to, and based on my similar confusion/disbelief over our pick and deal in the '07 draft, I'm getting ready to celebrate a championship.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

AND THE CELTICS PICK................. Empty Re: AND THE CELTICS PICK.................

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:23 pm

Sorry 112288.

I started a draft topic at the same time without seeing you had posted one as well, so I merged it here into yours.

It'll be interesting to see if we trade down.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

AND THE CELTICS PICK................. Empty Re: AND THE CELTICS PICK.................

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Wait; it looks like we ended up with JaJuan Johnson!

I've got to go check this out.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:33 pm

No problem, I was rushing to get this out and did not check the board. Could be a good pick!

Hey, you're just quicker on the draw than I am! It takes me longer to type because I have to stop and think before each word!

Regards,

NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:39 pm

OK, we got JaJuan Johnson.

Well, this gets deeper. Big Ten Player of the Year, C, from Purdue.

6'-10', something like 216-217 lbs., better than average scorer, very good rebounder who can block some shots, plays D. Projected by some as an NBA SF although I don't know why.

With some added bulk he's our new center or power forward behind KG. As a SF he occupies the same space as Jeff Green. Must have been selected for C.

From what I've seen of his game I stick him at the 5, except that I would worry that the first shot he takes he ends up 10 rows up on some fans lap.

From the web; Big Ten Player of the Year and also Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, as well as being selected for the First Team All-Big Ten. He led the Big Ten in scoring and in blocks, as well as having the nation's highest scoring average for a player at the center position.

There could be more to this yet, but otherwise he's our leading candidate to play center along with J O'Neal.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:33 pm

I predict he'll be better than Darko and Tony Battie. Seriously he can run, jump high, block shots, gotta have a better jumper than Perk, gotta be active to be Player of the Year and Defensive MVP, I think we stole one.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:12 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:I predict he'll be better than Darko and Tony Battie. Seriously he can run, jump high, block shots, gotta have a better jumper than Perk, gotta be active to be Player of the Year and Defensive MVP, I think we stole one.

I think you may be right.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:59 am

Has Danny done it again?

What starts off looking horrifyingly bad ends up as possibly another night of genius-type smart work by Danny Ainge.

He starts out picking Marshon Brooks whom we should avoid like the plague and ends up with All Big Ten teammates JaJuan Johnson (C) and E'Twaun Moore (SG) from Purdue plus a future #2 pick from New Jersey.

The night ends up with at worst two potential cogs in a strong second unit and at best our starting center or future power forward.

Johnson is slim, but depending on who he's paired on the front line with that might not matter so much. He was the Big Ten Player of the Year. He can score (he led NCAA centers in scoring), he can defend (All Big Ten Defensive Team) and he's very quick and athletic. KG will never have to get on Johnson about defending. Throughout his college career Johnson was often compared to Garnett in terms of his game and motor. He was also named Consensus All-American this year.

Moore is a SG who racked up a record number of assists and more steals than Al Capone ever dreamed of. He's a lights out defender too. Moore averaged over 21 points and over 5 rebounds per game this season. He was First Team All Big Ten along with Johnson the last two years. Moore was also Third Team All American and Second Team Academic All American.

These two obviously don't have to work on their chemistry out on the floor.

Not a bad looking night of work for Mr. Ainge. Of course we'll see what we've got when they take the court, but it appears Danny squeezed the most anyone could out of an average looking draft.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:00 am

Hi,
I hope JJJ will prove to be a good PF. Problem is - when it's going to happen. So far, it looks the league goes into lockdown for quite awhile.

BTW, NYCelt, it's 2nd round pick for 2014 from NJ

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:24 am

AK,

Thanks for pointing out my typo...2nd round pick not #2 pick. Proof I should be getting to sleep before 1:00 and stop getting so charged up over draft night!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:34 am

I haven't seen anything mentioned about Johnson's hands. Does anyone have any insights?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:44 am

Sam

While I've never seen him play, on you tube hes a dunking, shotblocking machine, has great hops and mobility. His hands must be good to catch so many lobs and hes supposed to have a good jumper for pick and pops. From where we picked I'm excited about this kid, he also had the best vertical leap of any big in the draft, this kid went against real competition in the Big 10 and excelled.....Danny did good I think.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:44 am

I don't know who Ed Isaacson is, but his NBA Draft Blog answers my question about Johnson's hands:

"Johnson is a decent ballhandler for his size, and has improved even more as the season goes on. In the post, he controls the ball well, keeps his dribble close to his body and has the ability to make his move with either hand, though he prefers to go to his right hand. On the perimeter, like his footwork, his ballhandling is a bit shakier. He has a strong first dribble when making a move, but he susceptible to help defenders swiping at the ball as he goes by. As he becomes more comfortable going to the basket, he will be able to bring that dribble closer and lower to his body. He has good hands, and he has the ability to handle both high and low passes, and he does a solid job having has hands ready when getting position."

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:51 am

sam wrote:I haven't seen anything mentioned about Johnson's hands. Does anyone have any insights?

Sam

I think he has 2..................kidding

Although nothing is said about his hands here is a bit about him.

Prospect Profile
JaJuan Johnson

Full Name: JaJuan Johnson
Position: Forward
Height/Weight: 6-10 / 221
Birthdate: February 8, 1989
College: Purdue
DRAFTED BY: New Jersey Nets Round 1: Pick 27 ** Traded to Boston on Draft night

Strengths:

* Great athlete
* 7-1 wingspan
* Variety to offensive game
* Gets to the free-throw line a lot and converts at a high clip
* Work ethic
* Good shot blocker

Weaknesses:

* Needs to get bigger and stronger
* What's his position?

NBA projection:
The clue came this season. Johnson hadn't made a three-pointer in his first three seasons and had attempted only nine of them. This year, he cranked up 51 and made 15 (.294). Not a great percentage, but given Johnson's work ethic, it stands to get better. If it does, and Johnson can play the three and the four occasionally, his stock rises.

2010-11 Season:
Johnson had a breakout season, earning consensus All-American honors and becoming only the third player in Big Ten history to win Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year in the same season. Also won the Pete Newell National Big Man of the Year Award.

Key statistics:
20.5 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 0.9 apg, 1.6 tpg, 2.3 bpg, 25.4 mpg, .494 FG, .294 3PT, .809 FT

Cool statistic:
Johnson was the first Purdue player to lead the Big Ten in scoring in league games only (20.7 ppg) since Glenn Robinson in 1994, and the first to lead the conference in scoring in all games since Willie Deane in 2002.

Reminds me of:
Hakim Warrick

What Insiders Say:
Purdue assistant coach Jack Owens
"He's an unbelievable athlete who isn't afraid to work to get better. With his work ethic, his ceiling is off the charts. He's just going to get better and better."

What Outsiders Say:
VCU coach Shaka Smart
"Johnson is a versatile player. He can step out on the floor, make jumpers, put it down on the floor [and is] dangerous on the offensive glass."

Saint Peter's coach John Dunne
"Johnson's tremendous. I mean, you can throw three guys at him, and he can take his little fadeaway and knock it down. Watching the Indiana game, they played a lot of zone, and then they ran doubles at him, and he was hitting jump hooks and right-shoulder turnaround shots with Big Ten big bodies running at him."

MY TAKE

Saw much of Hack Warrack at SU, no one worked harder IMHO and if this guy is compared to him and has a bit of an outside game to go with taking it inside (plus he can make foul shots unlike most SU players) think we may have an absolute gem for a late pick. Of course if he was really that good why is he still around at 27?

We shall see.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:54 am

From YardBarker (affiliated with Fox Sports) comes my favorite scouting report on JaJuan Johnson. After I read this, I approached my wife about an "arrangement" whereby I could stay married to her while also proposing to Johnson. I'm a good Celtics fan, but even I couldn't make myself believe this much praise:

"Biography JaJuan Johnson Power Forward Purdue Pros Durability: JaJuan Johnson rarely gets injured. Size: JaJuan Johnson has the size for a 4 at power forward with his 6 foot 10 height. Basketball IQ: JaJuan Johnson has a high basketball IQ. Learning Rate: Learns new plays at a very fast rate. Awareness: Solid awareness at both ends of the floor. Intangibles: JaJuan Johnson has a solid skill set of NBA moves. Shooting Accuracy: JaJuan Johnson has good shooting accuracy from short range, mid range, or long range. JaJuan Johnson has great touch before releasing his shot. Athleticism: JaJuan Johnson has top notch athleticism. Inside or Outside Threat: JaJuan Johnson can be a scoring threat on the inside or the outside. Hook Shot: JaJuan Johnson has a deadly hook shot. Jumper: JaJuan Johnson has a deadly jumper. Production: JaJuan Johnson was a key contributor for Purdue this season. Potential: I really believe Johnson has the potential to be an effective player down the road. Cons Phys..."

And this piece doesn't even mention his Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year credentials or the fact that he shot 81% fro the line last season. Otherwise, all that's missing is a claim that Johnson could be an NBA level backup PG. Heck, let's give him 35 mpg from Day One. In fact, if Doc goes down, I bet this guy could make a great player coach. And I heard he takes tickets too.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:04 pm

This is from nbadraft.net about JaJuan:

NBA Comparison: Maceo Baston/Hakim Warrick
Strengths: A long, tall forward with good scoring instincts ... Is a legit 6'10" in shoes with a long 7'2" wingspan ... Has very impressive leaping ability with unusual explosiveness for a big man ... Tied for having the highest maximum jump reach in the 2011 NBA Draft Combine, getting as high as 12'1.5" ... Frequent target for ally-oops and lob passes ... Very agile and mobile ... Has the speed to play the small forward position at the next level ... Really improved his scoring ability every year he was at school ... Has a smooth and refined turnaround jumper, which is very difficult to defend due to his length ... Has shooting range out to around 18 feet from the basket ... Has become a real threat in the post ... Nice-looking hook shot from the left side of the rim, with a soft touch and a high release point ... A factor on the offensive glass, gets a lot of tip-ins and put-backs ... Great free throw shooter (80.9%) that gets to the stripe a lot (209 attempts in 2010-2011) ... Moves his feet well on defense ... Big-time shot blocker, averaging 2.3 per game ... Had a successful 4-year career at Purdue ...

Weaknesses: Lacks bulk ... Doesn't appear to have the frame that can support much more weight in the future ... Gets pushed around when trying to defend players in the post ... Offensively he prefers to play in the post, but there are questions about whether this will translate to the next level where just about every power forward will be bigger than he is ... Will have trouble establishing and maintaining good position down low ... Somewhat of a tweener ... Doesn't have the strength of a power forward, but doesn't have the perimeter skills of a small forward ... Poor ball-handling ability ... Cannot create offense for himself on the perimeter ... He isn't the rebounder that someone with his size and athleticism could be ...

Overall: Johnson is an NBA athlete, but there are questions regarding his position and skill-set ... Does he have the frame to support more weight? Can he hold his own in the post against bigger players? ... If a team is confident that he'll be able to contribute, he could find a spot in the late-1st round ...

Tyler Ingle 6/17/11

Strengths: A lean, athletic forward who thrives in the open floor … A superior athlete with excellent length, leaping ability and body control … Also a force defensively using his 7-foot plus wingspan to register over 2 blocks per game … His offensive game has shown steady improvement (15 ppg as a junior) … Solid and consistent from the line at over 70% … Has developed a righty jump hook shot … Gets a lot of dunks off of ally oops … Quick off his feet … Good fluidity. Runs the floor well … Came into Chicago adidas Nations camp in August looking bulked up (possibly in the 225 lbs range). Shoulders appear to be rounding out some … Plays with good energy. High motor … Mature person off the court (senior) who will enter the league with a degree …

Weaknesses: A tweener. Although he has the length to play either forward position, his lack of strength inside and skills on the outside makes him a tweener for the NBA level … Weight appears to be a long term issue for him. He has not been able to put on significant weight in his time at Purdue … Wears an undershirt which appears to hide his lack of strength in his shoulders … He lacks the frame/body type to put on substantial weight and carry it without limiting his athletic ability … His lack of weight keeps him from being an imposing rebounder and throw down dunks over defenders as often as he should. Defenders are able to push him out of the paint and bully him around the basket … Despite adding weight over the summer, he may not be able to retain it throughout a basketball season … Still needs to become better at creating offense for himself, both on the perimeter and especially in the paint. His post moves have shown some improvement but he lacks offensive polish … Knocks down the occasional mid-range shot but must expand his range and improve his consistency … Passing ability is average at best … Lacks great ball handling ability to create offense for himself ... The majority of his offense comes from transition baskets, rebounds, and shots within 5 feet of the basket ... His 50% FG shooting for a post player is evidence of his lack of offensive skill with so many of his baskets coming off of dunks and easy buckets ...

Notes: One of the top senior prospects in the country. Along with Robbie Hummel and E’Twaun Moore, forms a formidable Senior trio at Purdue…

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:11 pm

Lots of comparisons to Hakim Warrick.

I've seen Warrick in person when he was at SU and plenty of Johnson on the tube the past several years. I think the comparisons are based on similar physical build and that's about where it ends. I think Johnson may be a bit taller too, but it's hard to say since listed height is often inaccurate. I don't think Warrick could even carry Johnson's lunch. These are different players.

Johnson is a good pick-and-pop, pick-and-roll player. Much more gifted on the defensive end and quicker than Warrick. Warrick might actually have the better perimeter shot because Johnson has none. Johnson's got hands too, this ain't no K. Perkins in that department.

A few draftnicks tried to cast Johnson as an NBA small forward but no way. This guy is an NBA center and possibly a power forward. Most draft reports you see almost sound like they haven't caught any Purdue games.

His frame isn't going to carry much more weight so he won't be bulking up. He's slim but strong. He'll give some ground up in the post game at times I'm sure. Then again Garnett's had sort of an OK career for a fairly skinny guy.

Take a look at Moore too. For a second round selection this guy is probably more than just a keeper.

Absent of other roster moves, I'll put down two bets on this one;

1. Johnson is our starting center before the season ends (if it ever starts)

2. Moore turns out to be as big a steal.

No hyperbole from me on this; Ainge did a very good job here.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:47 pm

So you guys are trying to tell me they got a starter/solid C/PF and a second unit player + a future draft pick out of the 25th and 55th pick on a supposedly weak draft year?

Sounds like a MLM scam to me Very Happy
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:57 pm

Once again DA found a way to selct two players that can contribute at both ends of the floor.

I think initially he (Johnson) will play PF until he adds more strength. How many PF are out there that just dominate in the low post? Not many that I can think of. I heard that he gets up and down very well so I can envison him and Green running the floor. Having a mentor like KG can do nothing but help him along. I like the pick and cannot wait to see him play for the Celtics.

The 2nd pick Moore is a somewhat undersized 2 guard but he gets up high on his jumper so that may not be an issue.

Both him and Johnson can play defense so these two rookies may get early minutes instead of sitting on the bench.

I like with the Celtics did here.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:48 pm

Everyone on the NBA channel panel picked the Celtics 1 or 2 as having the overall picks in the draft.

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:57 pm

112288 wrote:Everyone on the NBA channel panel picked the Celtics 1 or 2 as having the overall picks in the draft.

SI too:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/06/24/draft.grades/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t12_a1&hpt=hp_t2

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:43 pm

Fox Sports gave Boston and LA high grades for the draft.
As little as I know about the players, it does seem that both teams did well in drafting players that have a good chance at being solid contributors.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/2011-NBA-draft-report-card-062411
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:01 am

I think one key is the fact that both player were 4th year seniors, they both can play defense and purdue ran a pro style offense. doc hates rookies but these two will probably get to play right away. to bad they canceled the summer league.

la always seems to find players.

hope the league can work out their financial issues.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:25 pm

Odd grades given in both of those links.

I'll file my usual disclaimer of not being a sportswriter who watches games for a living or a GM who knows the real skinny, but the one thing I do make time for is catching NCAA D1 hoops games so...

Denver ends up with Faried and Hamilton, two of the better college forwards available and they get no higher than B+? I make them the biggest draft night winner; A. Faried may bring up comparisons to Rodman soon, and without the piercings and wedding dress. Hamilton may just be among the draft's steals, although he does have to work on the D a bit.

Without being a homer I'd rate what the Celts did an A. I've raved why in other posts so I won't repeat myself.

LA gets an A for plucking Morris alone; forget the other two who's names you can't pronounce and who will never be heard from again. At pick 41 they get a guy who might become a starting point guard. This is the guy that gets written up in things as far reaching away from sports as the Wall Street Journal of all places because his touches account for over half of his teams points each game between assists and his own scoring. The guy is an assist machine with an awesome passing touch, and having success in the Big Ten is like having success in the NBA II (OK, if there were an NBA II). He's big for a modern point guard too. Hmm...can anyone think of any other time The Lakers did well with a big point guard?

Guess I just felt like doing a little friendly nitpicking with the writers; no other reason for this post than that and taking a break.

OK, I've finished my coffee, back to work.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next