gacracker
GAShamrock60
jeb
Matty
13 posters

Go down

rondo contract news Empty rondo contract news

Post by Matty Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:34 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4612132&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

i gotta say, im a bit surprised, according to this the celtics are offering him 45 million for 5 yrs- 9 mill a yr, and he's asking for 55-60 million for the same number of yrs, i actauly figgured the celtics would be offering 55-60 million and rondo was asking for me..

danny give that kid his 60 million

one of the things that really worries me is, if we dont sign Rondo he becomes a restricted free agent... some of those teams out there are not going to be getting lebron and Bosh and wade like they hoped, and will have a Lot of money laying around There are reports that boston is already hurting this yr- remember that in our championship season it was reported that for the team to make a profit that season we HAD to at least survive to the ecf's to turn a profit...

next season our draft picks are going to be like 29 or 30th and 59th or 60th.. so we aint getting any help there, we'll be over the cap with no mid leval to use (or LLE or biannual) so replacing rajon Rondo with anyone 1/4 his skill set will be impossible.

if we dont retain Rondo, danny's options are quite limited in terms of keeping us a contender, no matter what happens with the negotiations this season is going to be fun.. if a contract isnt done though, i'm nervous looking beyond this season though
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

rondo contract news Empty Re: rondo contract news

Post by jeb Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:37 am

Matty

The kid from byu will sign Rondo. He is worth it and it is just money talk. It'll get done.

Bluto
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:02 am

Danny, lets do it!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q47bpOCTcaY
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:12 am

Matty

It's going to happen. You could argue Rondo is the most important doode on the team. 16 dimes.

He made Rose look normal.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by GAShamrock60 Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:38 am

Even if Rondo becomes a restricted free agent I don't see any team offering him 5yr/60 million. If he had a consistent mid range jumper then he would be worth every bit of that. I think 8-9 million will be the going price. We don't need to mortgage our future if we don't have too.

GAShamrock60

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:12 am

GAShamrock60 wrote:Even if Rondo becomes a restricted free agent I don't see any team offering him 5yr/60 million. If he had a consistent mid range jumper then he would be worth every bit of that. I think 8-9 million will be the going price. We don't need to mortgage our future if we don't have too.

I hate to leave Rondo hanging out there without a contract this season but this kid is still a dynamic work in progress and the mid range game and FT's need some remedial attention. Otherwise he is the total package.

He was quotted after the Bull's game on national tv as saying that regarding his 2 point, 16 dimes game that he felt good because it was important to keep his teammates "happy." That he did by getting out on the fast break, penetrating, dishing, rebounding, kicking back out, setting up his teammates to score. Needless to say, his teammates were already back in the locker room celebrating at that very moment.

Da kid had a monster game and scored a mere 2 points. Barring a serious injury, this kid will have a huge payday coming... and certainly by NBA standards... deserved.

Not to worry.

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:30 am

Matty,

Rondo's situation is similar to what Glen Davis went through this past summer, although on a different scale. Rondo will make much much more, and that is one difference. Another difference is that Rondo might actually get an offer from another team.

Still, Rondo is a Restricted Free Agent and the Celtics can match any offer sheet that Rondo accepts. The Celtics "won" in their strategy to let the market speak for Davis.

The economy may very well be on the rebound and by next summer, Rondo's value may reach the maximum for his years service. The maximum he can get in the first year of his next contract is just north of $14.4mil per year. That is calculated at 25% of the salary cap number, which is $57.7mil for 2009-2010.

The salary cap number may change, up or down, so I'll use the number for '09-'10 as a starting point. Last year, with all the gloom and doom talk about how the poor economy would affect the NBA revenues, the salary cap number only only came down by 0.98Mil. Take a quarter off 0.98mil and that is just about $250,000. That is chump change to these guys. (LOL) So for argument's sake I'll use $14mil as Rondo's maximum salary.

So, the Celtics are offering him 5 years at $9mil per. Rondo's agent is supposedly holding out for $11-12mil per. The question becomes how close to being a max salary player ($14mil) is he now?

The agent's number indicates they think he is close, the Celtics number, not so close. That is what the whole posturing thing was about this past summer, when Danny said a few things about Rondo to the media. When the media took the interview, cherry-picked the juicy bits and played them out of order, it may have helped to reinforced Danny's hand while not getting Rondo too bent out of shape.

I believe that the Celt's offer is too low and I hope they at least go over $11mil, so it can be put behind us. Next summer, with a little more on his resume, his value may very well be closer to the $14mil. Then the waiting game, which we went with Glen Davis this past summer, begins. We wait on pins and needles, waiting for another team to make the leap. And wait. And wait.

Let's not go through that again, Danny. Pay him $11mil, for crying out loud!! It can, and probably will, cost you much more next summer. Also, please consider our angst!!

gyso

PS: We do get a MLE next year. Those you get each year under the current CBA, regardless of use. Since we did use the full LLE (Bi-Annual) on Marquis, we won’t have that one available next year, as you say.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by David14 Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:26 am

Hopefully, Rondo learned a valuable lesson from what happened to Leon and Tony Allen. Given the investment opportunities, tax structures, and the risk of a continued decline in network "spend" and consumer spend in sports, the risk v rewards for Rondo should motivate him to sign now. Net/net, they are too close for either side to walk. On the other hand, one has to wonder if Danny is thinking about available spend for one of the premier 2010 free agents.

I also hope Rondo watched the news last night where President O predicated a continuted rise in unemployment. The President expressed his personal sorry for those good folks who will soon be given the devastating news about being laid off. Yet, here we are all encouraging Danny and Rondo to split the difference between $50 and $60 Million!!! Between the news of the questionable 2002 championship that the Los Angeles team may, or may not have won on their own, and the "hurting" going on with many average Americans, its really difficult to believe the public will continue to spend the dollars the spend on the NBA product. Think about "them apples" Rondo (sorry Jeb, I needed to steal a Jebism to make a point). Come on Rondo, stop dragging this out and sign and move on. Today you are playing with KG, Sheed, Ray Allen, Quis, Paul Pierce, Perk, etc. Rondo look at what happened to Posey and Baron Davis without the supporting superstars!!!

Last edited by David14 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
David14
David14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:35 am

An indirect factor in the Rondo negotiations involves the composition of the rest of the team. The contracts of Scal, 'Quis, Williams, Eddie and Tony. I understand that many people would be more concerned about losing some of them than others.

However, the fact remains that decisions will have to be made as to how to fill out the roster this coming summer. An unresolved Rondo situation (which could drag on well throughout the summer) could severely restrict Danny's ability to know what monies he'll have available, what he can spend, and what he's going to need.

For my money (and I'm glad it's NOT my money), this is the most compelling reason to get the deal done now.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:03 am

The economics involved in the Rondo contract situation is understandable.

If Boston put a $45-$50 million offer on the table it is certainly a very good starting point.

I felt that a contract in the $10 million range was a good starting point. Rondo could probably get a bit more in a more robust economic climate.

I also believe that DA's preemptive off season comments about Rondo did not help the negotiations. Particularly since DA loves what Rondo does for this team. After the Bulls game Rondo was asked again about the contract situation and you could see that the topic is a source of irritation.

The good thing is that Rondo is a restricted free agent. If the reported $45-$50 million dollar offer is pulled off the table once free agency begins, things could really get ugly. If Rondo does not get a better offer, the Celtics will leverage the situation by perhaps offering less.

If Rondo does not make the Allstar team this year, I do not think he should expect more money.

I believe things will work themselves out. Rondo is such an important part of what the Celtics want to do and while many can criticize him for not being more of a jump shooting PG one can hardly argue the fact that this team really does not need for him to be a scorer unless their offense is not clicking and he needs to make something happen.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by David14 Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:38 am

dboss, I heard Rondo's comments after the Bull's game as well. It seems strange that he, like Glen Davis, found the need to resort to the comments that they love Boston, but it's still a business and they may have to move on if the money dictates they do. It does dilute the support that we want to offer to the players. Particularly, with Rondo where the season is starting off so well.

Perhaps Danny and Rondo are simply negotiating in the public, however I personally don't believe it serves the greater good. Rondo certainly is an important element of the make-up of the current team, and we are all excited about the possibility of #18. Therefore, I hope they get it done and, in doing so, keep the negotiations private.

The Red Sox taught us that the "here today, gone tomorrow" business approach sure dilutes the time we have to celebrate a championship. It's strange to see Damon work so hard to bring the Evil Empire a championship at the same time the media discusses the probability that he will move on shortly after the season!!!
Oh well!!!

To quote our good friend Jeb, "get er done" Danny!

David
David14
David14

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:57 am

Deadline is 6:30 PM tomorrow I think.

The money wanted and offered appear to be reasonably close.
I'm optomistic this will get done tomorrow and it would not surprise me an announcement is made before the game today.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:26 pm

This is typical "Red" and how to approach a contract with a player. If you read On and Off the Court by Red he goes into how he signs players to contracts. Rondo is asking for top dollar, similar to what other elite point guards are asking. Red would start at a notch lower and try to get a contract done a little above his price and a little below the elite price, with a little tweaking perhaps towards the end of the deal or incentives.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:51 pm

112288 wrote:This is typical "Red" and how to approach a contract with a player. If you read On and Off the Court by Red he goes into how he signs players to contracts. Rondo is asking for top dollar, similar to what other elite point guards are asking. Red would start at a notch lower and try to get a contract done a little above his price and a little below the elite price, with a little tweaking perhaps towards the end of the deal or incentives.

and Red's approach as 112288 describes it is a very reasonable guess as to how this may evolve. i am hoping that it gets done in the current time framework, as beat names it above. better now than later, really, for a dozen reasons already named for everyone and everything concerned ...

M in Denver
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:32 pm

David14 wrote:dboss, I heard Rondo's comments after the Bull's game as well. It seems strange that he, like Glen Davis, found the need to resort to the comments that they love Boston, but it's still a business and they may have to move on if the money dictates they do. It does dilute the support that we want to offer to the players. Particularly, with Rondo where the season is starting off so well.
David

David: I heard Rondo's comments and they seemed to come down precisely in the middle. To paraphrase.... I like it here in Boston. I'd like to stay but I really have to think about money issues too. It's not effecting my play at all. I'm not really thinking about it.

My sense is that he would have preferred to talk about the game. That's what he does well... and deferred these questions to management or to his attorney.

What would you have preferred Rondo to have said?

And what sort of fan support is it diluting in your mind?

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:22 pm

I agree that I get a bit bored when a member of the media persists in belaboring what I consider "easy news"—contract negotiations, issues in players' private lives, etc. I realize the media will rationalize that they're supposed to report the news; but I think they salivate and an opportunity not to have to ask something creative relating to the actual game of basketball.

I don't blame Rondo for being equally bored. And I'm sure he's schooled by his agent as to precisely what to say in using the situation to create as much leverage for "his side" as possible.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:02 pm

You hit the nail on the head with the word "agent".Any comments from Rondo comes thru "rehearsal" with his agent----There aren't too many athletes who comment about contract negotiations on their own.That's why I very rarely believe what you hear--there''s always way too much goin on behind the scenes that never see the light of day in the media.
When you hear "we're gonna get this done" --that's when I feel encouraged.

DJ

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:33 pm

DJ

Good to see you here.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bygone Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:06 am

Forget where I read it (Bird's or Red's book likely??) but when Red caught Ainge playing poker with his teammates and said sompin like, "Gambling is illegal", Ainge replied, "This aint gambling, it's a sure thing."

Danny is a top notch GM. He'll reward Rajon tomorrow unless the owners override.
bygone
bygone

Back to top Go down

Post by David14 Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:28 am

gacracker wrote:
David14 wrote:dboss, I heard Rondo's comments after the Bull's game as well. It seems strange that he, like Glen Davis, found the need to resort to the comments that they love Boston, but it's still a business and they may have to move on if the money dictates they do. It does dilute the support that we want to offer to the players. Particularly, with Rondo where the season is starting off so well.
David

David: I heard Rondo's comments and they seemed to come down precisely in the middle. To paraphrase.... I like it here in Boston. I'd like to stay but I really have to think about money issues too. It's not effecting my play at all. I'm not really thinking about it.

My sense is that he would have preferred to talk about the game. That's what he does well... and deferred these questions to management or to his attorney.

What would you have preferred Rondo to have said?

And what sort of fan support is it diluting in your mind?

GC

Hi GC, you probably heard more than I did. I only saw, and heard, a short news clip from an interview in the locker room. My point is that it's a shame that the contract discussions get to the point where a player can't simply concentrate on the team and the season. It seemed to me that Rondo was blinded sided by the questions and simply did his best to respond. However, I personally would have preferred a "no comment". I guess there is blame on both sides, and of course, the media who loves to stir things up. I guess it is a moot point since the two sides agreed on a contract however; to answer your question; as a fan, I would prefer not to be supporting a James Posey, Johhny Damon, Pedro, Manny, or Rondo, for that matter, if they are thinking about moving on to a competitor while at the same time their current team has made a significant offer. It dilutes my personal support for professional athletes when they appear greedy in a day and age where good folks are losing their jobs, or abandoned kids are being locked in rooms at juvenile hall when their parents have no means to support them, and/or thousands of helpless animals go unfed because there simply is not enough funding to offer the proper care. I personally prefer Larry Bird's, Schilling, Wakefield's, Paul Pierce, Russell's, Cousy's, Heinson's, and some of the others that earned significant income while at the same time they were able to keep the negotiations behind closed doors.

I am not sure that the Hornets believe Posey was worth the investment, since he has not done much since becoming a Hornet. Rondo has the luxury of playing with four superstars. Perhaps Rondo is worth $50 or 60 Million while playing in this environment, however I'm not so sure he would have any more success than Posey without his superstar support.

Just my opinion, however I am glad the contract is now behind him and the team. It's unfortunate that both sides were publically critical of each other. At least, not in this day and age.

PS- GC, before I forget, I think your postings and comments create "deep thinking" and are "thought provoking". That makes our discussions that much more enjoyable. After all, we are just sports fans having fun. I appreciate your posts and comments.

David

Last edited by David14 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
David14
David14

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:38 am

Matty

All is well.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:25 pm

Dave, I think with Posey it boils down to even though you may be effective with your skills with one team, it does not transcend to another. Possey was a role player and they may be asking him to fulfill another role in which he may not be able to fulfill. I think that was the case with Williams and Atlanta and why people are a little surprised at how he is playing these last 4 games for the Celtics.

If Rondo goes to another team, which I highly doubt, he may not be the same player he is now with the Celtics and I am sure he is thinking the same way. It's no big deal if they do not sign him now. We do not know the financial market come summer. It may go in the C's favor or it may not and the C's may be forced to pay him what the elite are making now, no higher. I highly doubt he would command above what an elite guard is making now given the financial outlook of the country.

Back to top Go down

Post by David14 Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:35 pm

Well said 112288. I agree with your comments.

David
David14
David14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down